Oktoberfest Tasting + Beer Style Updates for Märzen and Festbier!

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Todd, Sep 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. b9d9

b9d9 Initiate (50) Nov 9, 2020 Germany

Hey @MNAle,

this will be your first Weltenburger 1050, right? I'd love to know what you think about his beer that I'm drinking for years. Also haven't seen this beer in cans before.
    I think it's an excellent, well-balanced Märzen and I also won't be sad if you come to a different result :slight_smile:

Prost!

2. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,195) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Yeah... it kinda does, doesn't it! :stuck_out_tongue::astonished::beers:

TongoRad, b9d9 and FBarber like this.
  3. MNAle

Society

:grin:

Well, the Munich 4 and Ayinger will get more than one go. After that, we'll see...

AlcahueteJ, b9d9 and steveh like this.
  4. MNAle

Society

Yes, it will be my first of that one. I'm looking forward to it.

AlcahueteJ and b9d9 like this.
  5. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,147) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Hey, no Paulaner Amber. :thinking_face:

AlcahueteJ, FBarber and b9d9 like this.
  6. MNAle

Society

No. I decided to go with the helles version. :wink:

AlcahueteJ, FBarber and steveh like this.
  7. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (2,484) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Society

Correct, one year best before date. Saw some today with a 07/2022 date on them. Should have grabbed it but already had a cart full of other O'fests.

Side note- Also saw 5L kegs of Rothaus Pils for the first time ever but didn't purchase. I did manage to get a 6-pack of the Eiszäpfle though (also seeing for the first time). Excited to try that one.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  8. steveh

Society

C'mon, man -- priorities! The Ur Marzen, or some caramel macchiato of an Ami wannabe? :wink:

AlcahueteJ, FBarber and Jacobier10 like this.
  9. Jacobier10

Society

I'll get around to the Spaten eventually, I'm sure. I'm usually good for a 6'er each season. Today's purchases were:
    Rothaus Eiszäpfle
    Ayinger Oktober Fest-Märzen
    Ramstein Oktoberfest (an Ami but far from a wannabe)
    Paulaner Oktoberfest Wiesn cans
    Schlenkerla Helles cans

I have a strict "no wannabes in the fridge" policy. :slight_smile:

10. steveh

Society

I haven't had a Ramstein in many years, is it still pretty good?

11. Jacobier10

Society

Last year was the first year they started canning it and it was excellent. A little lighter bodied than I remember it from previous years. Very clean and smooth, I really enjoyed it. I'll post a review on here when I crack one open.

AlcahueteJ, steveh and TongoRad like this.
  12. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,944) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

:+1:
    I just got some on the way home, so now I'm all set for Oktoberfest to start. :wink:

I think that it was the Covid situation that got them into distributing again, because until last winter their stuff was unavailable to me. Now they're a regular item on the Bottle King shelf.

AlcahueteJ, Jacobier10 and steveh like this.
  13. jonphisher

jonphisher Defender (634) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

I think I’m the only one who didn’t enjoy that beer. I even drank through a whole four pack last year and it never grew on me. Perhaps I’ll buy a single this year and revisit.

Jacobier10 and steveh like this.
  14. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Poo-Bah (4,126) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Society Trader

well I am getting stocked up for this lengthy tasting. This is my starting point plus the 12 beers of Oktoberfest box coming my way from HalfTime. I think Im doing just fine for my selections!

[​IMG]

AlcahueteJ, ChicagoJ, Squire and 5 others like this.
  15. Jacobier10

Society

Awesome! Never really thought about the distribution thing but it makes sense. I saw they're going to start distributing in NYC soon for the first time as well.
    I'll admit some of their core beers are mediocre but IMO their seasonals (Maibock, Summer Bock, Oktoberfest, Winter Wheat) are excellent. Definitely worthy of a revisit, even if just a single can.

16. robwired

robwired Aspirant (207) Sep 2, 2019 Kansas

I have a German beer cooling in the fridge from a brewery that was there at the beginning, brewed for the wedding celebration of Crown Prince Ludwig of Bavaria and adheres to German Beer Purity Law. Just bought a single tonight.
    In the meantime, a Kansas City offering from KC Bier, its seasonal Festbier, a Vienna-style lager. KC Bier follows traditional German-style brewing with traditional ingredients. Its year-rounds are good, but I always pick up this one for Oktoberfest season. It has a bready/biscuit flavor with a bright finish and an aroma of honey. (Does BA have a stein glass?)
    [​IMG]

17. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,636) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

@Witherby That brewery has two Festbiere. The one in your link is their Christmas Festbier. It's amber. Their Annafest Festbier is this one. It also appears to be amber. Regardless, both of those Festbiere illustrate your point about Festbier outside of Oktoberfest.

I see that the Rothaus Eiszäpfle is now classified as a Festbier on BA. (@FBarber - the beer name in BA should be one word rather than "Eis Zäpfle." :slight_smile:) Doesn't it strike people as odd that a beer that's marketed as a Märzen by the brewer and isn't associated with any kind of seasonal fest by the brewer is now being called a Festbier here... and only because of it's color? It's the same beer as the duplicate listing: Rothaus Märzen Export (or just plain Rothaus Märzen)... which is classified here as a Märzen (of course). I feel like stuff like this is just seen as acceptable collateral damage.

18. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (5,248) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

I love you @zid - the report update feature on the beer page is your friend :wink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.