Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Germany Oktoberfest: Wiesn and Märzen

Discussion in 'Europe' started by jibjib513, Aug 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bierman9

Bierman9 Dec 20, 2001 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Spaten and Augustiner 1986

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't have any other slides yet scanned from 1987 to 2003... I will post some digital pics from 2004 on, then try for '87-'03 later... Color analysts, have at it...

Prosit!

Gutes_Bier and steveh like this.
  2. herrburgess

herrburgess Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Based on the dates I have seen on the bottom of the Paulaner Wies'n cans, the brewery actually uses the U.S. dating system. The date of the beer you saw was June 5, 2013.

3. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania

There was a case of Paulaner beer (I forget which brand) which had a production date of 28/06/13.

It would appear that maybe the dating system on the box (case) is European dating.

Prost!

4. Bierman9

Beer Trader

More.... 2004 (2x) and 2009 (2x)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Crusader and Gutes_Bier like this.
  5. herrburgess

Beer Trader

Pic next time, please. European dating doesn't use slashes. Did you see 28.06.13?

6. Bierman9

Beer Trader

Last batch - 2012...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Crusader, steveh and Gutes_Bier like this.
  7. Stahlsturm

Stahlsturm Mar 21, 2005 Germany

Yeah we do. What gave you the idea we don't use slashes ?

JackHorzempa likes this.
  8. Gutes_Bier

Gutes_Bier Jul 31, 2011 Germany

Just confirming this for the record. I checked one of the recent bottles of Schlenkerla, and their Best Before date is "11/2013". All of the other bottles in my deposit return bag, though, used decimal points.

9. herrburgess

Beer Trader

I've seen the slashes when it's just month and year, but not with day, month, and year. Still, I trust you on this and admit I could be wrong.

10. drtth

drtth Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Don't forget there are some breweries (e.g. Paulaner) who use a different dating system on bottle/can than they use on their shipping cases. So you could both be right in what you report.

herrburgess likes this.
  11. steveh

steveh Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

Been able to land the Paulaner, Hacker-Pschorr (couple places with a lot of 12 packs of H-P), but have seen absolutely no Spaten. Is the hand off of importer power getting in the way just in time for the busiest Munich beer season? That would be bad timing.

Guy I talked with yesterday said he had a case, but it went fast. Said he could order more and get it in by the weekend, but I sort of wonder where it's coming from.

12. YamBag

YamBag Feb 2, 2007 Pennsylvania

What distributor, I've been wanting to get this since June

13. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Hmm, I wonder how old this barrel of Paulaner Wies'n will be when they tap it on September 4th (photo is from last year I believe) at my local bar.

[​IMG]

14. Domingo

Domingo Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I don't see the Spaten ur-marzen 12-packs as much as I used to. Those used to be covered in paper so I knew they were less likely to be lightstruck. My local Old Chicago tends to get a wide variety of marzen taps for the Oktoberfest season, so I'm hoping they'll have it. Last year I was able to do the Spaten, Paulaner (wies'n), Ayinger, and Left Hand, consecutively.

15. steveh

I saw them everywhere in my area last year -- in fact, right up to the end of July. Now --poof-- nothing. Really odd.

16. AlcahueteJ

Just headed to one of the top beer stores in my area. Hofbrau and Ayinger Oktoberfest were the only German imports I found. Crap load of pumpkin beer though!

Picked up a four pack of Konig Pilsner though, dated 02.20.2014. If it was canned a year before that date, it's six months old. It was in the fridge, and is in a can. Tastes a BIT off, but not horrible.

17. boddhitree

boddhitree Apr 13, 2008 Germany

Should've posted this in the "Fernseh-Pils-A-Thon" thread. A least that what König Pils is: a Fernsehbier! ;)

JackHorzempa likes this.
  18. einhorn

einhorn Nov 3, 2005 California
    Beer Trader

Is there online access to old DDR files?

19. patto1ro

patto1ro Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands
    Subscriber

No, you had to apply to some government agency then they sent you back hard copies.

20. Crusader

Crusader Feb 4, 2011 Sweden

[​IMG]
    Today was the launch day of Oktoberfest beers at the monopoly and I had to go and pick some up. I'm currently enjoying the Paulaner Oktoberfest Bier with the best before date set to July of next year, so it was bottled sometime in July. The Spaten beer has a bottled on date of august 5th, with the best before date set to august of next year. Löwenbräu has a one year BB date set to July next year and Hofbräu has a BB date of august 8th 2014.

[​IMG]

21. Gutes_Bier

The ones that are still around here are all on discount. I never did see the Spaten. The beer store guy swears to me that they had it but I still don't believe him. The only one you're missing is Hacker-Pschorr! Let us know what you think of them.

Also, nice Pilsner Urquell mug.

Cheers!

Crusader likes this.
  22. Crusader

Paulaner Oktoberfest Bier was as expected of the style, bready and semi-dry despite the alcohol content, with a bitterness that made itself known yet didn't overwhlem the malts. I've had several Swedish lager beers around 6% abv which tend to be malty sweet rather than bready, some of them have off-notes (due to rushed fermentation/insufficient lagering?) which Paulaner doesn't have. It's a really tasty beer in my opinion. Next up is Spaten Oktoberfestbier (since you mentioned it I figured what the hell).

[​IMG]
    It's sweeter than Paulaner although both list the wort strenght at 13.7%, with Paulaner having 6%abv and Spaten 5.9%. It would be interesting to learn the degree of attenuation of both, I'm guessing Paulaner is more attenuated, and perhaps Paulaner has a few more IBUs than Spaten. Spaten Oktoberfest reminds me alot of their Helles version in taste, only sweeter, and I definitely prefer the latter over the former (I haven't tasted Paulaner's München Lager). It gets to be a bit too cloying in my opinion and I'd rather have another glass of Paulaner Oktoberfest Bier. I really enjoy the standard Spaten München though.

boddhitree and Gutes_Bier like this.
  23. Crusader

I have pictures of family get togethers from the mid 90s where it looks like the participants are drinking Vienna lagers even though the brands are cheapo Danish import lagers (pilsner malts all the way). I wouldn't claim to know anything about the color of the Oktoberfest beers of years past, since I've never been to München and wasn't of legal drinking age until 2006, but it seems to me that beers appeared a great deal darker on pictures "back in the day".

24. herrburgess

Beer Trader

Picked up a 6-pack of the Shiner Oktoberfest. This stuff is close. If the hopping were a touch lower (and less grassy) and underlying maltiness a bit more bready (a touch thin as it is), it'd be pretty right on. None of that annoying roastiness or cloying sweetness. And at $7.99 it's a good deal, too. Kudos to Shiner.

EDIT: as I drink more of it, I think just achieving more breadiness would balance out the hops almost perfectly. Good stuff. Beautiful color.

steveh, Gutes_Bier and spartan1979 like this.
  25. jeebeel

jeebeel Jun 17, 2003 Texas

The best domestic oktoberfest beer I have had this year, by far, is this: http://www.karbachbrewing.com/beers/karbachtoberfest.

For me the taste and color are halfway between Wiesn and Maerzen styles. 5.5% abv, very quaffable. Comes in 6-packs of can and draft.

Unfortunately, it is only distributed here in Houston. Karbach Brewery opened here a couple of years ago. For any of you who are homebrewers, Karbach's head brewer is Eric Warner, who wrote the Hefeweizen and Koelsch books for the Brewing Classic Styles series. All his beers are really good, particularly his german-style beers.

Scott, I may have to try the Shiner o-fest due to your review. I had pretty much given up on Shiner, but may try again.

cu29 and herrburgess like this.
  26. spartan1979

spartan1979 Dec 29, 2005 Missouri

I tried the Shiner yesterday too. I tried 4 different "fest" beers and the only one I thought was better was the Ayinger.

herrburgess likes this.
  27. Stahlsturm

Stahlsturm Mar 21, 2005 Germany

*growl*

steveh and Gutes_Bier like this.
  28. Gutes_Bier

For those of us in Deutschland, Bier & Bier is selling the Augustiner Oktoberfest online beginning Sept. 9th (but you can pre-order for a Sept. 10th ship date). I may wait and see if one of my two local places will carry it (they both have Augustiner's Helles and Exportbier in the regular rotation), however one way or the other I think some Augustiner Oktoberfest is finally in my future. This will leave Spaten as the only Münchner Oktoberfestbier that I haven't tried here in Germany. I'm thinking about going to the 'Fest this year as a day trip, so I guess I'll be hitting the Spaten tent.

I may also order some of the Ayinger Kirta Halbe with the Augustiner to finally try some of that, too.

boddhitree likes this.
  29. Starkbier

Starkbier Sep 19, 2002 Maryland

[quote="herrburgess, post: 1668450, Roasted.

High kilned munich malz will do that.

30. Domingo

Domingo Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Pretty interesting about the Shiner being so good. Gotta love the fact that their beers are cheap, too. They had a mildly smoked helles a few years I really enjoyed. It reminded me a lot of the Schlenkerla helles.

31. steveh

Are you using roasted and toasted synonymously? Because that would be off.

As said in the past; Roasted = Stout. Toasted = Märzen.

boddhitree likes this.
  32. AlcahueteJ

I thought it was

Roasted = Insults

Toasted = Praise

cu29 and boddhitree like this.
  33. steveh

Only in speeches. ;)

cu29 likes this.
  34. boddhitree

No, it's, in an hour,…

Roasted = first 3 bottles of beer

Toasted = 3+ bottles of beer

at least for me.

35. VictorWisc

VictorWisc Jan 2, 2013 Massachusetts

I thought that post was half-baked!

boddhitree likes this.
  36. boddhitree

I'm surprised none of y'all have dropped your knowledge in this thread yet, which is about the good ol' O-fest.

37. steveh

Great, that thread has opened up a whole new can of worms and brought out the members who really don't know the style -- and can't tell the difference between Wiesn & Weizen. ;)

38. danfue

danfue Sep 16, 2012 Germany

I'm back here. My son poured a cup of coffee over my laptop and the hard drive and keyboard had to be replaced. :(

In the meantime, Oktoberfestbier has hit the German shelves. Found the usual choice of the Munich line-up, nothing else so far. Anyone know where to get the Ayinger in Germany?

[​IMG]

And the bottle shop also had a 2 litre-bottle of the H-P Oktoberfestbier Wies'n. Didn't buy that, maybe next time.
    [​IMG]

Apart from those, there's also some regional non-Bavarian Festbiers/Märzens at this time of year, like this from Pfungstädter.
    [​IMG]

boddhitree and Gutes_Bier like this.
  39. AlcahueteJ

Other than the crappy link, did I regurgitate any misinformation?

40. VictorWisc

VictorWisc Jan 2, 2013 Massachusetts

I'd get two cases of these just for homebrewing! The contents is a bonus :p

boddhitree and spartan1979 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe