Oktoberfest Wiesn vs. Marzen

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by ifnkovhg, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (2,195) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

While I'm not 100% on this, I believe that they are the same in Germany. It's just the bottles that get exported to the USA that are different.

AlcahueteJ, grantcty and steveh like this.
  2. grantcty

grantcty Initiate (123) Feb 17, 2008 Minnesota

As @Snowcrash000 said, I wonder if he's referencing only what's available in Germany?

I'm a bt surprised that Spaten's Ur Märzen isn't available in Germany given it's status as the 'original' amber one to show up on the Wiesn (via Josef Sedlmayr's Franziskaner Leistbräu)

3. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,270) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

Based on the video, I'd say yes.
    I know it was available vom Faß away from the fest a few years ago, as was Paulaner's Amber, but I haven't seen any confirmation they're still offered these days.

AlcahueteJ and grantcty like this.
  4. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Meyvn (1,087) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Ok, that's kind of what I figured.

So then, H-P is the only one that's amber in bottles in Germany? You can't get the pale Oktoberfest in bottles?

5. steveh

HP Pale? Don't know about that, have seen the other pales in bottles (and cans -- brought home a Paulaner can one time), not sure why HP wouldn't package that way.

6. grantcty

Their Oktoberfest Wiesn used to be available in bottles. The packaging looked like this:
    [​IMG]

Looking at their German website, it's no longer showing up in their list of beers. They do have a Festbier, called Superior.

[​IMG]

It's the same abv as the Wies'n is/was, so I'm wondering if those two weren't the same beers all along?

Edit: Paulaner/H-P actually released their Wiesn over here five years ago. I recall liking it better than Paulaner's version, but that's because I'm a bit of an H-P fanboy. :wink:

(Photo is not mine)
    [​IMG]

https://www.brewbound.com/news/hack...limited-edition-small-batch-series-in-the-u-s

7. AlcahueteJ

Yup, I remember that one hitting the states one year. I'm not sure if that is/was available in Germany though.

The Paulaner Wiesn has been here for years though (as you mentioned).

grantcty likes this.
  8. grantcty

It used to be--the first picture of my response is German/European packaging when it was available in bottles.

Edit: Here's a picture of a 2 Liter bottle of it!

[​IMG]

9. hottenot

hottenot Aspirant (239) Aug 13, 2018 North Carolina
    Society

According to "experts" Yuengling is a dead ringer for a "Marzen" Nuf said.

10. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,562) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

??? What?

hottenot and steveh like this.
  11. steveh

LOL! Yuengling Lager? Black and Tan? :grin:

I'll see your Yuengling and raise you an "expert" rated Leinenkugel! :wink:

MNAle likes this.
  12. AlcahueteJ

Like...the Traditional Lager?

chrismattlin and steveh like this.
  13. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

I know the Paulaner Märzen bottles aren't available in Germany, but I'm not sure about the HP Festbier. I certainly haven't seen it, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it doesen't exist. Although I've been to a local Getränkemarkt recently that had a rather comprehensive selection of Oktoberfest beers and the HP Festbier wasn't amongst them.

@grantcty's post does suggest to me that it exists, but it is perhaps not widely distributed. Speaking of the availability of Oktoberfest beers, Augustiner is unique among the Munich Six for refusing to distribute their Oktoberfest beer outside of Bavaria. I just thought that was an interesting little tidbit.

14. AlcahueteJ

Are you talking about the "Superior" beer he posted? Because I think the actual Festbier from H-P was a limited edition offering (I could be wrong).

Are there Augustiner Oktoberfestbier bottles available in Bavaria, or is that draft only?

15. steveh

From @grantcty 's post above:
    "It's the same abv as the Wies'n is/was, so I'm wondering if those two weren't the same beers all along?"

I'd bet he's correct.

grantcty and AlcahueteJ like this.
  16. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

Oh, they're available in Bavaria, the fuckers just refuse to export them so that the Saupreissn won't get their hands on them :grimacing:.

I know of one Getränkemarkt owner who used to simply import them himself by buying from Getränkemarkts in Bavaria and when they found out about that they really gave him some shit about it.

17. grantcty

H-P put that 'Limited Edition' on the labels for all of the swing-top beers they sent to the US market in 2014. (Hubertus Bock, Sternweisse, Festbier/Oktoberfest Wiesn, and Animator Doppelbock)

Everything I've seen over the past several years indicates that they packaged and sold a wiesn-style beer in Germany for at least a few years. The pictures I posted were from other years besides the one year they sent it over here. They even used to have a page for it on their German website, but it's now gone. As the pictures show, they labeled their wiesn with "Oktoberfestbier" and you'll note that it says "original wiesn bier" underneath.

I may have to message/email H-P and see if they'll disclose whether Superior and their wiesn are the same beer, just packaged differently depending on when/where they're served.

chrismattlin, steveh and AlcahueteJ like this.
  18. hottenot

Society

The color! Ha Ha Ha!

19. hottenot

Society

Har Har ha ha! Snort! chortle!

20. steveh

Yeah, I remember my first beer too. :rolling_eyes:

21. officerbill

officerbill Disciple (347) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society

Wait, I want to hear more about those 2 liter bottles. Finally, a proper single serving size. I don't have a glass that big so I'd have to drink out of the bottle. :+1:

#181 officerbill, Oct 4, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    grantcty and EmperorBatman like this.
  22. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,152) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I can't tell you about 2 liter bottles but below is a 1.5 liter bottle of Únětický Pivovar 10° Czech Pale Lager that I drank a few days ago in Prague. I shared it with my wife.

Na Zdravi!

[​IMG]

dbrauneis, AlcahueteJ and nc41 like this.
  23. officerbill

officerbill Disciple (347) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society

I like that it has a resealable top. Is that size bottle common?

AlcahueteJ and meefmoff like this.
  24. EmperorBatman

EmperorBatman Initiate (74) Mar 16, 2018 District of Columbia

Czech Malt Liquor?:grin:

chrismattlin and JackHorzempa like this.
  25. JackHorzempa

Society

I mostly drank beer in pubs in the Czech Republic vs. going to beer retailers so it is best I don't comment here - too inexperienced on this topic.

Cheers!

officerbill likes this.
  26. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,938) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Should have centered your visit to the Flyers game.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  27. JackHorzempa

Society

I saw folks at the Prague airport arriving and some of them had Flyers clothing on.

When we booked the flights I had zero knowledge that the Flyers would have their season opener in Prague. I did not even know that the NHL did this sort of thing. I just did a web search earlier today and the NHL markets this as "Global Series" and this the third straight year they are conducting this. You learn something new everyday.

Cheers!

P.S. Flyers 4, Blackhawks 3: Czech this out!

AlcahueteJ and officerbill like this.
  28. AlcahueteJ

You think that’s a proper serving size yet you don’t have a Maß?

You need to remedy this as soon as possible.

That’s awesome.

officerbill likes this.
  29. steveh

Still spill over a Maß. :grin:

Need a 2 liter boot. :wink:

officerbill, dbrauneis and AlcahueteJ like this.
  30. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,938) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Found some Weihenstephaner today for the first time ever. Hmm, I think I like Ayinger more, and here I thought I preferred pales.

31. AlcahueteJ

Ha for some reason I had it in my head they said “22 oz.”.

I think I need to drink less, or more.

officerbill likes this.