Old Planters, Beverly MA

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by LukieBL, Dec 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LukieBL

LukieBL Initiate (104) Jun 10, 2015 Massachusetts

Tried a "Crop Rotation" on draught earlier this fall, which was pretty good and just picked up the latest version in a very expensive 4 pack of bottles.

Anybody like their stuff?

I have tried to ask them on Twitter where they distribute to but crickets and happened to see some cold 4 packs at Henry's in Beverly (awesome selection, btw)

2. Bissel328

Bissel328 Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2015 Massachusetts

Yea theyre crushing it. The Palfreys is really good as well!

They are at all of the good bottle shops in the North Shore

3. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Devotee (416) May 29, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society

I love Crop Rotation. It is expensive for a 4-pack though. They brew out of Mercury (Ipswich Ale) so I'm not sure if the price has something to do with that.

Crop Rotation doesn't have the hazy look or soft, rich deep flavor of the Trillium or Tree House IPAs and I don't think that's what they were shooting for. It has to be one of the most balanced IPAs I've had. I've bought about six 4-packs over the past two months and it always taste clean and fresh. It's full of flavor and doesn't have that aggressive piney bite at the end (not a fan of IPAs like that). I'm guessing but I think they use Mosaic and Simcoe hops. I hope they grow and open a tap room.

4. LukieBL

LukieBL Initiate (104) Jun 10, 2015 Massachusetts

The iteration of CR that I first had was definitely soft hazy and juicy. Maybe a bit thin but, as the name implies, this is a rotating IPA so I expect every release to change

5. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Devotee (416) May 29, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society

Maybe I've had too many Trillium and Tree House beers. CR came off as cleaner to me. I might not be using the word "soft" correctly. CR is incredibly easy to drink as its carbonation isn't too aggressive and doesn't have that sharp piney hop taste that a lot IPAs can have.

How about this - not as soft and juicy as Tree House/Trillium's stuff but definitely more so than Harpoon/Ipswich, etc? I think CR is great in that (for me) it kind of falls in between these other examples. Now this might sound crazy but I am usually good only having a couple TH/Trillium/Alchemist type beers as they tend to be flavor bombs. CR, on the other hand, I could drink a bunch of'em!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.