Older People Quitting Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Celtics76, Mar 24, 2022.

1. moodenba

moodenba Zealot (587) Feb 2, 2015 New York

Most reliable previous studies on alcohol consumption also showed negative health effects for levels at and above 3 drinks a day. This study is in general agreement with findings for higher consumptions. Any health benefits at low consumption levels were previously estimated to be minimal.

Junior likes this.
  2. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,081) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I think the alcohol studies are a little more consistent. The debate mostly seems to be about exactly how much harm very moderate drinking does to your health. The one issue I haven't found any studies on, but have seen mentioned in the discussion portion of some studies on the health effects, is what the psychological benefits of engaging in culturally important alcohol consumption are. Seems to me that shared experiences of inebriation are something that all human societies have pursued, so I would assume there is some value to the participants.

But I wouldn't expect to see any new and shocking evidence that regular and heavy alcohol usage is suddenly found to be the next great health craze

3. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,490) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Not at all what I was implying.

Google search: studies on moderate alcohol consumption

About 101,000,000 results (0.69 seconds)

No way of knowing the percentages pro or con, but you can bet it's probably close to 50/50.

As was misquoted earlier, but is a good outlook on life: Moderation in all things, including moderation.

Junior likes this.
  4. Dendrite77

Dendrite77 Initiate (113) Sep 22, 2006 Pennsylvania

This is going to sound overly combative but I'm really not trying to be rude.

If there's no way of knowing the percentages, how can you bet it's probably close to 50/50? That's essentially wish fulfillment.

Clinical studies, for the most part, outline methods and data to support their conclusion. It's all there to go look at. The guy with the background in substance abuse treatment is not making stuff up.

Rug and skelliott like this.
  5. steveh

Society

Just basing it on my experiences of hearing opposing study results every other month over the years. But feel free to look into it.

And no "wish fulfillment" involved, I'm one of those who's cut back for health reasons over the years, and happier for it. It's just a healthy skepticism of those multiple (upon multiple) clinical studies you speak of. As I said, look up coffee studies, to keep it out of the substance abuse category (for the most part).

#85 steveh, Mar 30, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
    Junior likes this.
  6. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Poo-Bah (1,805) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Society

Once I saw a positive coffee study, I’ve never read another!

7. Miles_in_beer_city

Miles_in_beer_city Initiate (150) Jun 18, 2014 North Carolina

Well into my 70's, retired...

Brewery visits 2+ times a week, now that we are vaccinated and COVID is no longer spreading like a Texas grass fire on a windy day, and a refrigerator full of craft beer at home, most from local breweries.

During COVID lock-downs, I didn't cut back on beer, but lost 20 pounds. Can only attribute that to eating better at home, vs. the burger and fries, and other goodies from food trucks at the breweries.

I like wine, but not the headache that it gives me. Used to like Bourbon, but I've lost my taste for that also.

Shanex likes this.
  8. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Zealot (532) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

47 here and keep it to one or two on the per night on the weekends and perhaps a couple during the week. Just not interested in putting in that much liquid at a clip. Health is definitely a factor when watching your BP and cholesterol.
    Since the legalization is sweeping the nation an edible and a high ABV beer or a couple hi balls and it's an evening on the weekends.

9. Liam88

Liam88 Initiate (11) Oct 25, 2020 Massachusetts

I'm 47 as well, I have a beer or two if I'm cooking dinner maybe once a week, a couple on the Fi-Sat nights but that's about it, most of the time I don't have the time (3 young kids)

My old man (78) was a couple Coors lights after work drinker my entire life. He claims he can't drink as much beer now because of digestion, and then drinks two whatever local (New Hampshire) IPA is on sale at Market Basket and complains its too hoppy and gives him indigestion. Now I have a goal.

AzfromOz and Shanex like this.
  10. Longhorn08

Longhorn08 Aspirant (283) Feb 4, 2014 Texas
    Trader

I’ve moved on to bourbon. I do still enjoy a beer now and then but it’s pretty rare.

Maybe bourbon is just shiny and new to me and I’ll burn out on it too and move to something else. Or back to beer.

11. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (8,127) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

I am 70. I will quit beer when I am put in the ground.

12. Thankin_Hank

Thankin_Hank Poo-Bah (1,982) Nov 18, 2013 Texas
    Society

I'm slowing down. Just my body telling me. So many beers, so little time.

Raise Hell! Drink Beer!?

#92 Thankin_Hank, Mar 31, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
  13. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (3,022) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

I’ve read through the first few posts, and as a BA who qualifies as “older” (statistically in the final 1/3 of my life) I’ll weigh in.

I started getting serious about beer late—coinciding loosely with becoming a dad, which also happened relatively late. But yes, as my 40s rolled into my 50s I’ve cut back quite a bit. I’ve thankfully never had a problem from a substance-abuse/addiction perspective (I don’t know a lot about addiction but I think maybe I’m not wired that way, who knows)—but I’ve definitely seen the effects on my weight and with COVID that was a double whammy. Since around June of last year I’ve made a concerted effort to lose weight—I really just got tired of being a lot heavier than I should be, and my blood work has been showing elevated enzyme levels that indicate non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (or whatever they are calling it now). Losing about 30 pounds over the last few months instantly got those numbers back in line, and I feel a lot better too. I was actually amazed by that.

So I can’t really imagine beer never being a part of my life—but I’ll regularly go days or weeks without having one. Ten years ago I think I was trying to make up for lost time, and my body paid a pretty high price. The good news is, it’s not that hard (for me anyway) to cut back and I actually enjoy beer more now because it’s kind of a special occasion whenever I have one.

To each one’s own.

JMN44, Reidrover and Celtics76 like this.
  14. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,490) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

NA beer threads, Weight loss threads, Fitness threads, Quitting Beer threads, Dear Abby threads - maybe it's time to start the Anti-Alcohol forum under the Other Interests category to prevent these topics from clogging up the main General Interest beer forums? :grin:

15. vabeerguy

vabeerguy Poo-Bah (3,850) Sep 21, 2015 Virginia
    Society Trader

I like my bourbon but I drink far more beer than I do bourbon.

Junior and ChicagoJ like this.
  16. steveh

Society

Isn't "critic" the opposite of "advocate?"

Maybe a completely new website for others? :grin:

FatBoyGotSwagger and Bitterbill like this.
  17. moodenba

Critic is not exactly the opposite of advocate. By the 50s the brewing industry's U. S. Brewers Assn. USBA had adopted the slogan "America's Beverage of Moderation".
    https://clickamericana.com/topics/f...t-americas-beverage-of-moderation-1940s-1950s
    The USBA produced ads that they felt would advocate for their products. But at the same time the advertising was delivering a message encouraging moderate consumption. The ad might be interpreted as an implicit criticism of high alcohol beer.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  18. steveh

Society

Thank you Captain Pedantic -- or maybe you missed the emoji that meant I wasn't being serious. Or at least not as serious as you. :grin::rolling_eyes:

19. moodenba

my apologies. I generally ignore imoji's.

20. Rainintheface

Rainintheface Savant (985) Apr 30, 2007 Florida
    Society

I'm a work in progress at 55. I mostly stay away from high abv but something grabs my attention now and again. If I'm doing a flight, I'll still throw one in.

21. Monkeyknife

Monkeyknife Poo-Bah (3,522) Jan 8, 2007 Missouri
    Society Trader

60 here and still enjoying the big IPAs and even bigger Stouts. I do notice that my recovery period is longer after a big night than it used to be.

Junior likes this.
  22. Jwale73

Jwale73 Poo-Bah (5,138) Aug 15, 2007 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

I’m 49 and I’ve started to cut back from 7 days to Friday-Sun (in lower quantities). Just not super happy with my weight. I exercise 4-5 days a week, but can’t drop the lbs. Been doing this for about a month and I’ve lost about 8lbs and just generally feel and sleep better. COVID really put a damper on meet-ups and shares, and it just doesn’t have the allure for me it did. I still enjoy visiting the local taprooms and hoisting a couple with friends, but I’m really not that interested in chasing beer anymore.

beer_beer and ESHBG like this.
  23. Celtics76

Celtics76 Crusader (771) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

This hobby improved considerably for me when I stopped "chasing". But I think it's a phase everyone goes through. I know I have access to good beer when I want it, so why bother hustling to get the next hyped beer that will probably disappoint?

JMN44, Jwale73, Jaycase and 2 others like this.
  24. lastmango

lastmango Champion (839) Dec 11, 2014 Pennsylvania

I've noticed some drop. As you get older, you run the risk of diabetes 2 and need to cut back on carbs. That is the situation I am in in my 60s. But . . . damn, I love beer. So, I cannot give it up completely until some doc tells me its life or death. Had some Weihenstephaner last night. But, I am drinking a G&T right now. Based on my observation of my family, as you get into your 60's and beyond, many either stopped or severely cut back. My grandfather gave up beer and other drinks after his first heart attack in his 50s. But, I am in my mid 60s now and am thinking more along the lines of do I want to live another five years without the things I enjoy. :sunglasses:

25. GoBearsWalter34

GoBearsWalter34 Poo-Bah (1,949) Aug 1, 2014 Illinois
    Society

I myself, almost 50, have also gotten into bourbon. I still love beer as well. I think my tastes continue to mature with age and seek other things. I also now like a good cigar with my beer or bourbon.

Celtics76, CaptainHate and Junior like this.
  26. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Devotee (436) Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

I mean, geez, who needs all this sort of monastic anti-hedonism on a forum dedicated to drinking and enjoying and loving beer!!! This place seems to be overrun with Pure Prairie Leaguers...I do not understand why they'd want to be here but to each his own I guess.

jesskidden likes this.
  27. CaptainHate

CaptainHate Champion (858) Apr 22, 2006 Ohio

I'm 72, quit for 8 years in the 80s to save my marriage and relationship with my two children. I started back up moderately once I got my life in order (ie. found a job that I didn't hate which was the real source of my problems) and life has been great (my children give me difficult for me to find beer for Christmas). Alcoholism runs in my family so I must be a genetic freak in that it was no problem for me to stop cold turkey (unlike my brother and my late parents, cigarettes have no appeal for me). I think my physiology is generally non addictive (they gave me oxy for back pain once and I ended up tossing them) but I just like good beer.

Celtics76, Rug, Junior and 3 others like this.
  28. Celtics76

Celtics76 Crusader (771) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

...and yet you're posting on this thread, so you must have some interest on the topic.

I've been enjoying reading everyone's stories. Seems like most of us are making it work despite the challenges of getting older. I see the positive side.

JMN44, lastmango and beer_beer like this.
  29. lastmango

I've been struggling with this too. I just can't bring myself to eliminate the Gosling Black Seal Rum and lime from that ginger beer. :wink: All kidding aside, I think as we become older, we need to make some adjustments. I am not to the NA beers yet, but when I was in college, I drank more NAs than regular beer because I needed to stay sharp under pressure. But, I can see these in the near future. I remember Kaliber being my fave back in the old days.

30. lastmango

Yeah . . . I got married and had kids. Time just flew at warp speed. In my head, I am still 30 wondering where Duran Duran is. :grin:

oneeye, Junior and beer_beer like this.