Older Viscosity... One of of the best BA stouts ever?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BourbonBarrelBeerBelly, Apr 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Savant (960) Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts

An American strong ale is just a bastardized concoction. Like a Big Mac. That's why we have a catch-all for all the beers we can't categorize.

raynmoon likes this.
  2. mondegreen

mondegreen Devotee (442) Nov 4, 2009 Georgia

If only there were some existing style that Older Viscosity fit nicely into...

3. mjtiernan

mjtiernan Initiate (0) Feb 15, 2008 New York

Older Viscosity isn't available in my area so it's somewhat of a novelty, however I loved it and wouldn't blink if someone told me it was one of their favorite BA beers. It's a great brew.

fujindemon74 likes this.
  4. tbrascojr

tbrascojr Aspirant (239) Oct 15, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Trader

What's the story with the labels and vintages? When did they switch over to the label with blue in it? I have one with a black and white label where the date was (of course) rubbed off prior to purchase. Wondering if that is an '11 or an '09?

5. xanok

xanok Zealot (556) Aug 13, 2009 Connecticut
    Society

No.

Cvescalante and BobZ like this.
  6. BobZ

BobZ Zealot (543) Jun 24, 2009 Massachusetts

Shouldn't that be "Noooo, nooooo, lemon pledge better, but you have to buy":wink:

xanok and Cvescalante like this.
  7. Cvescalante

Cvescalante Aspirant (282) Dec 24, 2012 Texas

I read that in your avatar's voice, and I definitely got a laugh from that.

xanok likes this.
  8. JM03

JM03 Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2010 Ohio

Its good, but doubt it'd make my top 10 of BA Stouts

9. mdfb79

mdfb79 Poo-Bah (5,678) Jan 11, 2010 New York
    Society

Have newer batches (mostly interested in 2013) been carbonated?

The only time I had this was a 2009 vintage and it was completely flat. Was a nice beer, but didn't think it was great. Have never pulled the trigger on it again since because of the price and my experience with the '09.

10. jgluck

jgluck Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2012 California

The bottles I've tried of 2013 have been rich/creamy/chewy/smooth, with low carbonation. Fantastic MF, but YMMV. Either way, I wouldn't let a lackluster '09 bottle hold you back from trying a fresh 2013.

11. mdfb79

Society

The '09 I had was not recently, but when it was pretty fresh itself, and unfortunately it was completely flat. The mouthfeel was nice but I thought lack of carbonation hurt it...tough for me to pull the trigger on it for that price if I know the carbonation isn't there.

May get a bottle this year to check it out but will probably pass.

12. raynmoon

raynmoon Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado

Just drink Old Viscosity.

13. jgluck

jgluck Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2012 California

Ah, well it definitely wasn't flat, but most of the tingle came from the alcohol rather than carb. In contrast, I felt that Old Viscosity had above-average carb with a somewhat watery/thin body. I strongly prefer the MF of Older to Old, but if you're looking for something with medium carb, Older doesn't really fit that bill in my opinion.

14. mdfb79

Society

Thanks for the response! When I did they side by side in 09/10, I actually liked Old better. Maybe time to do another side by side this year if I do get an Older.

15. RangnaR

RangnaR Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2012 California

I might be in the minority, and I've only tried Older Viscosity once, but I prefered Old Viscosity to it... Especially since I can buy 2 22oz. bottles of it for less that one 12oz. bottle of Older Viscosity.

16. sukwonee

sukwonee Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2011 Washington

How does Old"ER" compare to Old Viscosity? I have had a couple bottles of Old Viscosity and wasn't impressed much by it (it was way too hot, even after a year on it).

17. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2012 California

Night and day. But I still prefer Parabola and you get a few more oz's for your $16

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.