Ommegang/AleSmith Blend - Three Philosophers/Speedway

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by M-Fox24, Sep 25, 2020.

1. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Meyvn (1,123) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

[​IMG]

---

EAST MEETS WEST

Philosophy and Velocity combines two iconic imperial beers from East and West: our own Three Philosophers and @alesmithbrewing's Speedway Stout.

FROM THE EAST: We brewed a Belgian-inspired version of Speedway Stout to blend with Three Philosophers Quadruple Ale.

FROM THE WEST: Alesmith brewed an American ale variant on Three Philosophers to blend with their robust, coffee-infused Speedway Stout.

Philosophy, meet Velocity.

Expect aromas of chocolate, dark fruit, and roasted coffee with flavors of cocoa and caramel. Carbonation lifts this beer to a darkly lingering finish, with hints of cherry and spicy Belgian yeast. It's a big, balanced hybrid of Belgian-style strong ale and imperial stout. Look for it out on select shelves now!

---

2. chinchill

chinchill Poo-Bah (9,794) Feb 29, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

Bought one in SC but haven't tried it yet

3. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (2,819) Dec 1, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Wow very interesting. Will definitely cop a single if I see one. @M-Fox24 whats your verdict?

redeemer likes this.
  4. jasonmason

jasonmason Initiate (199) Oct 6, 2004 California
    Trader

I will absolutely give this a try if if shows up in NorCal.

redeemer and jakecattleco like this.
  5. M-Fox24

Trader

Opinion would have led the post, but currently ISO -

#5 M-Fox24, Sep 26, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  6. zid

zid Meyvn (1,219) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

:thinking_face: So I guess it really is not a "combination of two iconic imperial beers."

sharpski, Roguer, officerbill and 5 others like this.
  7. M-Fox24

Trader

Distinct Blends - Ommegang will reinterpret Speedway: AleSmith will reinterpret Three Philosophers…do you prefer a hands-on "combination of two iconic imperial beers?"

8. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Meyvn (1,063) Nov 4, 2015 New York

:open_mouth:
    Want to try them.:clap::clap::clap:
    'Course, being only ~ an hr from Ommegang, I'll probably never see it. It'll end up in Georgia or Texas or somewhere else. :rolling_eyes::grin:
    (Often happens:confused:)

officerbill, micada, Vitacca and 2 others like this.
  9. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (1,558) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I was. Curious about this two but seeing @M-Fox24 post below yours I'm even more excited about (hopefully) finding the alesmith version

10. zid

Trader

Distinct blends of distinct beers. If the source beers are distinct then it doesn't really matter if the blends are too. Alesmith isn't using Three Philosophers and Ommegang isn't using Speedway for their blends... at least that's just my POV.

sharpski and Roguer like this.
  11. M-Fox24

Trader

But it does - given the backing and circumstance

Both well established and have aid/history = would think the sourced beers are represented: AleSmisth knows Three Philphophers / Ommegang knows Speedway

eldoctorador likes this.
  12. zid

Trader

I am unsure if we are just talking past each other. The brewers are deliberately not recreating those beers in their own facilities... they are creating riffs on those beers. I apologize for my comment generating this back and forth.

13. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

This is what I understood too. And its what's so interesting to me. I mean, sure, if some astute blender were given reign maybe those too beers could.be blended together to create something divine.

I, however, am much more intrigued by the idea that Ommegang taught Alesmith how to make 3 Philosophers. And Alesmith then adjusted the recipe to make the best version for blending with speedway. And vice versa, with Ommegang being taught the speedway recipe. And then tweaking it to make the version they believe will blend best with 3 philosophers.

I don't know if I've ever wanted to get both brewery's version of a collaboration more.

14. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (2,819) Dec 1, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

ah for some reason I half thought that was your hand holding the can!

15. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,688) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

For those who would prefer to drink a blended beer of Ommegang Three Philosophers and AleSmith Speedway that can be easily achieved: buy these two beers and blend them in your own glass. If you want to get creative you could create differing blended beers from those two beers by using multiple glasses:

· Produce a 50/50 blend in one glass

· Produce a 75/25 blend in a second glass

· Produce a 25/75 blend in a third glass

Or select whatever proportions that suit your personal whims.

Cheers!

16. socon67

socon67 Poo-Bah (2,322) Jun 18, 2010 New York
    Society

I really want to pick these up. Big fan of both beers, and while the collabs always seem to underwhelm, I'll gladly go along for the ride.

17. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (351) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

I mean couldn't you like, I don't know, have a can of each and then do some mixing if you wanted to do straight 1:3 1:1 3:1 mixes?

There are some gnarly frankenstien beers (gnarly good and gnarly bad) just by mixing two beers like a Black & Tan, but I don't know that a brewery needs to mix them for you.

micada likes this.
  18. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (822) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

No, but marketing......

This combo does not sound good. Speedway is a great beer, add a quad to that and I can’t imagine it’s going to be better or even good.

Not had Speedway in a bunch of years. I’d it can only now or can I still get bottles?

Enjoy

19. readyski

readyski Aspirant (277) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Trader

I'm guessing two quality beers together equal one good beer

20. micada

micada Zealot (501) Jul 13, 2015 New York
    Trader

If Alesmith would distro some Speedway here again, I would try out that experiment...haven’t seen it on the shelf in over a year. I think that was the first truly oil-thick viscous monster imperial I ever had.

Prince_Casual likes this.
  21. waltari

waltari Initiate (77) Jan 28, 2016 Georgia

Having one right now. That one is a mess! You want it done right, go with Weyerbacher Tiny, then again this brewery is almost gone.

mambossa, officerbill and micada like this.
  22. Fordcoyote15

Fordcoyote15 Savant (963) Nov 19, 2011 Kentucky
    Trader

Having one now and it is fantastic.

23. officerbill

officerbill Zealot (570) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

Wegman's has them.

It wasn't bad, but something was off about it.
    I'm hoping that it benefits from aging.

From my review:

24. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (5,245) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

Having had the Ommegang take on this "blended" (recreated then blended, perhaps) beer, I think doing your own blend, like you mentioned, might be a better take on it. It might be worse, granted, but if someone wants a "purer" blend, that's the way to go!

(And if I could get Speedway, I'd definitely be willing to give it a try.)

25. craigbelly

craigbelly Meyvn (1,245) Dec 31, 2015 Iowa
    Society

Definently get a more of quad with a little stout flavor. Very good. I enjoy the spirt of this collab.
    [​IMG]

26. Jack_14

Jack_14 Initiate (81) Nov 2, 2019 Italy
    Trader

Knowing that it exists and seeing it drink to others without having the chance to taste it, makes my heart cry.
    :rage:

27. mambossa

mambossa Aspirant (248) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio

I can only imagine the coffee would interfere with the whole point of it having a Belgian yeast characteristic like Tiny does. I don’t even think I’ll see these beers around my neck of the woods anyways.

For the record I love both Speedway and 3 Philosophers, but they absolutely do not belong together.

waltari and unlikelyspiderperson like this.
  28. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

I think that's why the idea of each brewery brewing their version of the others beer, with the blend in mind, is so appealing to me. Just a straight blend would be kind of pointless to me, its the idea of the folks at each brewery tweaking the others recipe to try and make something that will blend well that interests me enough to grab a can if I see it

officerbill and mikeinportc like this.
  29. mambossa

I understand it’s not straight blends, but coffee has as much of a hard time belonging in a Belgian Quad as an imperial stout does taking a Belgian yeast. Neither seem easy to pull off on paper, even for the best brewers. That’s just my opinionated ass about two beers I’ve never tried before.

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  30. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

That's fair. I'm going into it fully ready to be disappointed. But I like the concept. Also, I would love if both versions were available to compare them.

officerbill and mikeinportc like this.
  31. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Crusader (783) Dec 12, 2014 Chile

I think it's way more interesting how they are doing it. Straight up blending Speedway and Three Philosophers is something you could do at home

32. BruChef

BruChef Aspirant (223) Nov 8, 2009 New York

Black Albert and the rest of the gang at De Struise say hello.

Zaphog, DIM, mambossa and 1 other person like this.
  33. mambossa

never said the style wasn’t good or impossible! I understand Belgian yeast is a little on the finnicky side with stalling out midway through fermentation. Weyerbacher Tiny is one of my all time stouts!

BruChef and DIM like this.
  34. BruChef

I knew what you meant. Just had to throw that out there :wink: All my experience (Albeit A small sample size) with Belgian yeast has been the opposite. Always aggressive and attenuative.

mambossa likes this.
  35. mambossa

Kinda makes me sad I haven’t seen Black Albert around my area! Belgo stout is one of the lesser common styles that, when it’s done well, it’s blindingly good.

I think the yeast might have a hard time with higher gravity wort and may need a second wind sometimes from what I’ve heard (probably more common in homebrewing). I can’t imagine it really likes all the complex specialty malts in a stout either.

BruChef likes this.
  36. BruChef

Agreed. I miss Black Albert and Cuvee Delphine too for that matter.

mambossa likes this.
  37. bret27

bret27 Meyvn (1,196) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Trader

Sounds very “interesting”. Definitely one I’d wait and see what other people think before I buy for myself.

38. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (166) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

Had them both and I thought they were both great, As I expected, one was more Stout heavy and the other more Quad heavy. Will have again.

39. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Which was which?

40. maxpower

maxpower Poo-Bah (1,732) Jan 26, 2002 Missouri
    Society

I will have to seek this one out!