On Tap In The Twin Cities - 2019

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by JakeJohnson, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Crazytrain83

Crazytrain83 Initiate (51) Feb 19, 2017 Minnesota

Not 100% sure if this is the correct thread, but does anyone know why this is going to be Happy Gnomes last Firken Fest?

2. opwog

opwog Zealot (579) Jun 16, 2008 Minnesota

That is too bad. It has been a couple of years since the last time that I went, but I thought that it was the best MN festival. Not saying the biggest, but the best.

3. Verbl

Verbl Initiate (102) Feb 7, 2009 Minnesota

I saw that the Mad Capper in Stillwater was going to tap Waldo's on 4/20.

4. cheeseheadinMinneapolis

cheeseheadinMinneapolis Initiate (179) Sep 20, 2017 Minnesota

World of beers, Saint Paul. Did it close? or is it something else now?

5. Grave252

Grave252 Initiate (50) Mar 12, 2017 Minnesota
    Trader

I was there about a month ago. Everything seemed fine. Anything prompting your inquiry or just curious if it still exists? I actually found it to be a good experience with above average food.

6. cheeseheadinMinneapolis

I was there 2 weeks ago.........They are not listed on WOB website anymore, don't see there website etc... I just called them they say they are Open

7. Cibsie

Cibsie Initiate (166) Jan 10, 2015 Minnesota
    Trader

Apparently Nillerzzzzz is on at Ansari's. I wish I had known or still lived closer.

Chantzrodriguez likes this.
  8. mjryan

mjryan Zealot (510) Dec 22, 2007 Minnesota

I go to Barrel Theory about once a week, and have never heard of any of these beers.

9. mjryan

You won’t get a reply. At least not publicly.

mrpeterandthepuffers likes this.
  10. drunk_gnome

drunk_gnome Initiate (50) Sep 20, 2014 Minnesota
    Trader

I’d actually completely forgotten about that until now, but anyway, dare I ask why? I just found it odd, because it sure as hell wasn’t dead.

11. eggsurplus

eggsurplus Initiate (84) Nov 30, 2015 Minnesota
    Trader

“They also have” is the key part.

12. mjryan

Lol. I see that now. I was like, how did I miss those beers?

13. Grahampuba

Grahampuba Initiate (79) Jul 24, 2012 Minnesota
    Trader

Anyone have Modist's Hidden Knowledge at the brewery? Crowler I picked up came off like a lambrusco that had gone south or something.

14. verklempt

verklempt Initiate (67) Nov 2, 2009 Minnesota

Kramarczuk's Deli section had 2010 Surly Darkness on tap today. I did a double take on the year. $8 for 8 oz. Unfortunately it was lunchtime and I already had a a can of beer when I noticed the draft list sign, so didn't try it.

KarlHungus, nmoe and GeneralBurden like this.
  15. cheeseheadinMinneapolis

Buster's On 28th has Waldmann Schwarzbier on tap.
    Coming in a few weeks at Yoerg is Westmalle Trappist Dubbel , plus in a week or so Yoerg Kellerbier

KarlHungus and islay like this.
  16. Seamus_McGuire

Seamus_McGuire Initiate (89) Aug 11, 2014 Minnesota

Sporty’s has long been the butt of jokes in this forum, and I’ve long since admitted that it’s my fault. As a new member of the forum, I was overly enthusiastic about the beer selection at my local bar. The truth is that, for a local dive bar with ten taps, it was exceptional at times but there were no guarantees,

Sporty’s is closing in early July. I won’t give you the long drawn out story as I don’t know all of it. Regardless, a new bar will open at the same location. “Como Tap” under the management of longtime Sporty’s bartender Jana Kern (15+ years) will open in August at the same location (2124 Como Ave SE).

I know and respect Jana and think she’ll do a better job of pulling in a wide selection of beers than has been available recently. The true master of this, for a small local dive bar, was former kitchen manager Mark O’Meara. Mark, as I mentioned in this forum, left a while ago. He now works for Indeed Brewing,

I cannot say with certainty whether or not Como Tap will have Summit Saga.

JMN44, HoppyHawk, maximum12 and 5 others like this.
  17. A__J__H

A__J__H Initiate (19) Dec 7, 2017 Minnesota

They still have ownership of the The Unofficial in St. Anthony?

18. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (4,056) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

Too bad! I played for the Sporty's softball team for over a decade, but haven't been there in years since a move out of the city. I'll have to see if I can make it over there before close, though the current look of the place is nothing like the dive I remember so well.

19. Seamus_McGuire

Yes, The Unofficial will continue with the same owners.

20. SudsSavant

SudsSavant Aspirant (226) Jan 9, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

I for one will rise up with my glass of Saga and salute Sporty's. You and @Seamus_McGuire have provided up many an entertainment in this forum and still have served this community well. We shall never see the like of Sporty's again.

Prost!

JMN44, maximum12, HoppyHawk and 2 others like this.
  21. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Poo-Bah (3,075) Feb 19, 2005 Minnesota

That's good to know. The Unofficial is the only place I've ever been where the bar forced another patron to pay my entire table's tab, because he threw a microphone into the crowd in anger while bombing at karaoke splitting my buddy's lip. There were nine of us, we'd been there awhile, and it was a $200 tab.

22. Seamus_McGuire

Come this month. I see I said “early July” in my original message, but I now understand that June 30th is the last day under the current owner.

maximum12 likes this.
  23. Atom13

Atom13 Initiate (126) Jun 29, 2010 Minnesota

"Sportys has had a few ownership changes since I started going there around 2004. Good to know it will remain in good hands!

Seamus_McGuire likes this.