On Tap in the Twin Cities - November Edition

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by MCImes, Nov 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MCImes

MCImes Disciple (353) Dec 31, 2010 Connecticut

Its time for the holidays, so lets celebrate...with excellent draft beer!

What did you see and where did you see it?

Here's the cliff notes from the last week:
    I arrived at 7:30 and it was kicked. Very sad. it sounds awesome

2. Mplsmetro57

Mplsmetro57 Aspirant (280) Jan 30, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Vertical tapping of Alaskan Smoked Porter (2011-2013) today @ 4 pm @ Butcher and the Boar.

3. MCImes

MCImes Disciple (353) Dec 31, 2010 Connecticut

Consolidating a list of some places with Darkness:

4. BryantlakeBowl

BryantlakeBowl Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2009 Minnesota

What's on? I'll tell you whats on.

Mad River Steel head double IPA
    Surly El Hefe Negro
    Indeed Mosaic Fresh Hop - Have you had this? It will make you swoon.
    Odell Wellspring Dry Hopped Saison - Have you had this? Holy crap. It's one of those mind benders where the nose doesn't match the pallet. I love it, it's like a surprise for your tongue, which is a good thing. Sometimes...
    Schell's Octoberfest
    Sierra Nevada Narwhal
    Futhermore Fallen Apple

Coming up
    Deschutes Hop Trip
    Indeed Sage Coach
    Stone Espresso RIS
    Surly Darkness

5. John_M

John_M Moderator (5,496) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Beer Trader

I don't suppose you could hold off tapping that darkness for a few more weeks (I won't be out until 11/26)? Also, how available is the Indeed Mosaic Fresh Hop (would LOVE to try that!). Any chance there will still be any of that floating around during the Turkey Day holiday?

6. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (3,198) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

read the Black Friday post here in the mid-west forum Senor wong's will have Darkness

7. DBijnagte

DBijnagte Initiate (107) Dec 7, 2012 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Happy Gnome has Le Terroir and Very Angry Beast by Clown Shoes

8. gatornation

Beer Trader

CS Very Angry Beast is so good

9. John_M

Beer Trader

I'm hopeful that a number of places will still have Darkness around Thanksgiving (includng bryant lake bowl). That being said, I'm a big fan of Bryant Lake Bowl, and everything else being equal, I'd prefer to take my wallet and palate there.

I do appreciate your post though, and will try to get over to Senor Wong's that Friday if I can. Sounds like a great line-up!

BryantlakeBowl likes this.
  10. gatornation

Beer Trader

No worries you will find this brew wherever your wallet wants to go over the holiday weekend

11. mjryan

mjryan Zealot (567) Dec 22, 2007 Minnesota

At Señor Wongs right now. Nice tap list. Started with an Abita French Connection, really liked it. Had an Indeed Mosaic fresh hop after that, best wet hopped beer I had this year. Finishing with a Hammerheart Olaf the Stout...which is really fucking good.

12. mjryan

mjryan Zealot (567) Dec 22, 2007 Minnesota

Went to Señor Wongs Black Friday thing last year and had a good time.

13. opwog

opwog Defender (663) Jun 16, 2008 Minnesota

I need to make it back for that Odells. I went straight for the El Hefe Negro and then one of my psychedelic cowgirls hit the wall pretty fast after having one of the BLB specialty drinks :)

14. DBijnagte

Beer Trader

The Airport has darkness on tap

15. theCoder

theCoder Disciple (393) Oct 24, 2011 Minnesota
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Although I realize this isn't quite any beers out of the ordinary, BUT I am in love this just happened today. Today Fantasy Flight opened up their new and relocated Game Center (just off of County Road B2 near Cleveland by the Post Office). They added tap and bottled beer. Tap beers are Surly Hell and Furious as well as Summit EPA. Now I can play board games all day with loads of cool people and get some good beer while I'm at it (when I'm not gaming at home.

That's all.

16. opwog

New Holland Pilgrims Dole is tasting fine at Pracna .

josephwa and evilgenius1917 like this.
  17. gatornation

Beer Trader

Bought a 4-pk of that weeks ago,,wow what a great BBWW,so good

18. BryantlakeBowl

BryantlakeBowl Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2009 Minnesota

Sorry! I wish I could, but alas the Beer Cooler Gods have spoken. Who knows, maybe everyone will be tired of it by the time I tap it and it'll last till you're in town ;)

19. John_M

Beer Trader

I figured as much. My post was really just wishful thinking/hoping. Regardless, I'll be sure to stop by over the holiday to see what's on offer. Thanks!

20. ShannonRedCow

ShannonRedCow Initiate (0) Aug 22, 2013 Minnesota

Helloooo...Like I promised Surly Tap Take Over at Red Cow. www.redcowmn.com
    [​IMG]

mnphish, opwog, Alpar and 2 others like this.
  21. opwog

Great Divide's imperial oatmeal Yeti is on at Republic Calhoun Square. First tap sighting for me. Also, for any stout fan, the current line up here is insanely good. Too bad that I have to do a one and done tonight.

Also on...
    Bells Expedition
    Nitro Obsidian
    Founder's breakfast
    Founder's porter
    Left hand Nitro milk
    NH Dragon's Milk
    Odells Cutthroat
    Steeltoe Dissent
    Stone Espresso IRS
    Tallgrass vanilla bean Buffalo Sweat

#21 opwog, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
    nogophers and evilgenius1917 like this.
  22. zeledonia

zeledonia Meyvn (1,352) Nov 23, 2008 Washington
    Beer Trader

That is the most ridiculous Surly tap list I have ever seen. I am really bummed that I'm going to be out of town for it. But what, no Pentagram?

ShannonRedCow likes this.
  23. feloniousmonk

feloniousmonk Poo-Bah (4,873) Nov 14, 2002 Minnesota

Darkness at the Blue Nile, as well as Pumking, Duchess, Lucid Duo, Sweet Yamma Jamma, Harriet Woluptuweisse and more.

24. ShannonRedCow

ShannonRedCow Initiate (0) Aug 22, 2013 Minnesota

Hello...also as requested previously by a member...I have added oz's to the menu with the current pricing and updated taps. http://redcowmn.com/beer/

djschnabel, opwog, Douggo and 2 others like this.
  25. will1256

will1256 Disciple (366) Dec 4, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Posted this in the Backwoods Bastard thread also:

Happy Gnome is doing a Founders event on 11/21 and will be tapping BB along with 2 vintages of KBS (presumably '12 and '13?). Hope to make it there after work since I'll be in St. Paul that day...should be a good time although it seems their prices have gotten even more exorbitant recently.

http://thehappygnome.com/event/founders-night/

26. striker2160

striker2160 Disciple (395) May 5, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

What type of pricing would you expect for this event? I have heard they can be expensive.

27. MNBeerGeek

MNBeerGeek Zealot (547) Jun 25, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Not on tap, but the downtown whole foods liquor store has Sculpin for $9.99

28. opwog

If you want an idea, just look at their draft list on their site. They still have their pricing up for what looks like a clown shoes event:

http://thehappygnome.com/menus/drafts/

10 ounce pours ranging anywhere from 7 to 12 dollars.

29. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (3,444) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

FTFY. Too bad. Prices were not too bad right after they opened years ago, but have gone from ridiculous to downright laughable.

will1256 likes this.
  30. striker2160

striker2160 Disciple (395) May 5, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Holy shit 12 dollars for very angry beast. That is over priced in my opinion. I don't think I played much more for my bombers.

31. DBijnagte

Beer Trader

I agree that they are way over priced but will also point out that their prices include tax, something most places don't do. That being said, still over priced.

opwog likes this.
  32. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (3,444) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Actually, tax in MN is very strange at bars, not sure how it works in other states.

Almost 100% of the time if you are bellied up to the bar, the price will include tax. But sometimes if you're at a table (but not always), the cost will have tax tacked on. I've always meant to ask somebody in the know about this, but evidently I'm not burning to know more.

33. opwog

Fulton 's Batch 300 is on at Gold Nugget. As well as Darkness, ENKI Cacao Porter, Great Lakes Christmas and a few other interesting taps. Really one of the best selections that I have seen here.

evilgenius1917 likes this.
  34. mnphish

mnphish Disciple (339) Aug 19, 2012 Minnesota

grocery stores can sell beer in MN?

35. opwog

Haven't you ever seen the side stores at places like Trader Joe's, Byerly's, Costco, etc.? All the have to do is set up a separate walk through and checkout.

36. mnphish

mnphish Disciple (339) Aug 19, 2012 Minnesota

Obviously, but I have never seen one attached to a Whole Foods, which tend to have really great selection in other states.

37. opwog

Well now you know about one ;) I haven't hit it personally and the one near me doesn't sell alcohol, but it isn't that hard to picture how they are doing it. I bet the Excelsior location would, but there could be a lease agreement because of the MGM. Just speculation, but beer/wine is a big part of WF and the work around is too simple for them not to try to implement it at each location.

38. lurpy1

lurpy1 Zealot (564) Jan 15, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Outrageous taplist, and I'm out of town. If my travel destination did not have a Founders tap takover w/ Backwoods vertical to console me, I might have a psychotic episode over missing this.

Keep the awesome events coming, Red Cow!

39. John_M

Beer Trader

Every state is different of course, but the way Wegmans and Whole Foods get around the law in Pa. is to have a cafe on the premises. The stores have the usual wine and beer area you would find in any state that allows the sale of alcohol, but technically, beer is sold to go only through the cafe (which is completely legal in Pa., even though otherwise the sale of alcohol in grocery stores is prohibited).

40. MNBeerGeek

MNBeerGeek Zealot (547) Jun 25, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

This is their first one in MN. It is separate as opwog said. Having been to whole foods liquor stores in other states, this one is suuuuper underwhelming. But that Sculpin price is about $5 cheaper than I've seen anywhere else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.