One beer 'spoiler'

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MikeP64, Feb 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LMT

LMT Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2009 Virginia

3 Brothers Hoptimization IPA

My wife was so excited she bought it for me for my birthday. Opened the first one up and is was nothing but foam in the glass from the over-carbonation. The taste was sourish as well when I actually did get to drink some liquid, so I guess it was infected. I've never been tempted to try anything from 3 Brothers since.

Cabin Fever by New Holland as well

This one also may have been infected. It had a flavor profile of salem cigarettes with hints of chocolate and bile. Never tried anything by New Holland before or since.

2. salazaro44

salazaro44 Initiate (0) Mar 15, 2011 California

A 6 month old can of point the way ipa. It completely ruined golden road for me. I went up to the brewery recently to give them another shot and I thought most of thier beer was awful. It's almost like craft beer for people who don't really drink craft beer.

3. FutureJack

FutureJack Initiate (0) Oct 30, 2007 California

It is pretty impressive how mediocre their beer is across the board.

salazaro44 likes this.
  4. LittleDog

LittleDog Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2014 Texas

Deschutes Chain Braker ugh. Didn't try Deschutes again for well over a year.

5. BrewsOverHoes

BrewsOverHoes Poo-Bah (1,544) Nov 17, 2013 Georgia
    Society Trader

Same thing happened to my friend. Unfortunately I had Titan first by them, tasted like cough medicine and as you so eloquently put mud. But luckily had a Yeti in my fridge as well and found my way with Great Divide.

LMT likes this.
  6. JoelAK

JoelAK Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2014 New York

For me it was Ninkasi Venn. I usually like Dortmunder-style lagers, but I guess Great Lakes just does one that is so good that others pale. Venn just did NOT do it for me; I really had to work to finish that sixer. It just lingered in the back of the beer fridge like a bad date who won't go away - but might do in a pinch - and every encounter is just more and more regrettable.

No Ninkasi for me...

7. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,994) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Honest question- do those who hated Golden Monkey just not know it is a Tripel?

8. JoelAK

JoelAK Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2014 New York

Glutenberg IPA out of Montreal is pretty tasty, if you can find it

sbh50 likes this.
  9. Stagga_Lee

Stagga_Lee Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2014 Massachusetts

This could very well be...I would think it's approachable for those unfamiliar with tripels though.

For some reason, when I went to UMass all of the bro's who drank 30's of natty light knew about Golden Monkey. They didn't know any other Victory beers, but would challenge people to chug sixers of the monkey due to its ABV...wicked dumb.

Gemini6 and TongoRad like this.
  10. Torch_Lake

Torch_Lake Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2013 Ohio

I'd say Boulder, but that's not entirely accurate, as I've had multiple beers by them, and nearly all of them turned me off to their brewery.

11. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,994) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I remember reading on here that it is one of Victory's top sellers, too- that might explain why.

12. Jeph222

Jeph222 Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Deactivated

Golden Monkey is a strong tasting tripel. Try Dirt Wolf, Hop Devil, or Hop Ranch and I think you'll be happy. Totally understand your point.

MikeP64 likes this.
  13. Jeph222

Deactivated

I wonder if they were confusing Golden Monkey with Brass Monkey. " The Funky Monkey in a Bottle"

BeerForMuscle likes this.
  14. BeerForMuscle

BeerForMuscle Poo-Bah (2,583) Nov 26, 2006 New Jersey
    Society

I've encountered a good number of folks who aren't really beer drinkers but know what Golden Monkey is. It has a weird cult following, and a lot of these people think it's crazy strong. To answer the question, I won't let one beer steer me clear of a brewery. As mentioned by others, most breweries have a dud or two.

15. Jeph222

Deactivated

Got a case chilling in my basement. All this talk has me thirsty.

16. Mikus

Mikus Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2014 Pennsylvania

Exact same brewery, exact same beer. Are you reading my diary?

Gemini6 likes this.
  17. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (25,442) May 5, 2010 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I don't get turned off to a brewery by a single beer; except for maybe Minhas, but that was because it was one of their contract brewed beers where they don't tell you they made it on the label. I have tried everything Atwater makes, that should tell you something about how I go about reviewing things. There have been a few really enjoyable ones I may add.

18. Beer-Revelry

Beer-Revelry Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2015 Texas

Damn dude...like halfway through your post reading it I was seriously thinking "oh man, Golden Monkey totally did this to me!"

MikeP64 likes this.
  19. Beer-Revelry

Beer-Revelry Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2015 Texas

I think pretty much 90% of the beers by Real Ale would do this to most personally.

20. Southerndiscomfort

Southerndiscomfort Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2014 North Carolina

I had titan sometime last year. It tasted like syrupy old people candy to me.

LMT likes this.
  21. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2006 Alabama

I cannot comprehend people who would refuse to drink any other beers from a brewery because they got one beer they didn't like. I mean, New Holland make a wide range of great beer but you won't drink any of them because you didn't like one beer?

Dang.

frazbri likes this.
  22. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (526) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

Resolute, 3 Bros BBA imperial stout can hang with the big boys. My guess is you got something bad. Shit happens. Resolute is definitely worth a shot.

Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  23. IDABEERGUY

IDABEERGUY Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2013 Idaho

Widmier hefewizen for me, it is just putird and kept me from trying another Widmier for quite some time. I finally tried Upheaval IPA and like it, not knock my socks off but will drink one anytime......

24. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (526) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

I guess I have had the opposite experience that led me to always give another shot.

i found Post Road Pumpkin to be the absolute worst beer experience to date the first time I had it and could finish my one. I didn't even look to see who made it-drain poor. Fast forward to the other Brooklyn offerings I enjoyed in NY when I realized the Post Road was one of theirs.

I could not believe a brewery that I liked with some really great stuff had made something that bad. Live and learn.

Gemini6 likes this.
  25. smbslt

smbslt Savant (981) Dec 26, 2010 Illinois
    Society Trader

Don De Dieu - Unibroue. Makes cellaring the Trader Joe's Vintage Ales easy.

Jugs_McGhee likes this.
  26. sbh50

sbh50 Initiate (82) Feb 6, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

Excellent. I'll definitely keep an eye out for it. Like I said, I don't want one beer or one beer style completely ruining an entire brewery or style for me. I've also only tried one sour ale and I did not like it at all. I'm going to give that another chance too. I'm hoping La Folie by New Belgium will remedy that. I don't have it yet but I plan on getting a bottle. Now, I'll be looking for the Glutenberg and other gluten-free beers. Thank you sir!

27. misternebbie

misternebbie Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2014 Pennsylvania

Not a fan of Golden Monkey or golden showers for that matter, but I like Raging Bitch ,although I think the price point if way to high, better Belgian beer dollars spent.

28. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

I've never had a bad first beer. I wish i had because it would have saved me a lot of money from Abita and Horny Goat.

29. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (668) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

DuClaw Sweet Baby Jesus is a caustic chemically, not peanut butter, mess and has really put me off them. I like peanuts and peanut butter a lot, but that beer is nasty. I don't even want to cook with it.

I had a gushing, infected bottle from Erie Brewing that has put me off them....

#69 Ranbot, Feb 21, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
    Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  30. kingofhop

kingofhop Initiate (0) May 9, 2010 Oklahoma

My first SN was Kellerweiss. If I'd have let that affect me, I would never have tried other Sierra Nevada brews and let them become possibly my favorite brewery. I found out that hefes just ain't my thang. Give Peeps a Chance. *apologies to Yoko's old man*

31. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland

I second this! Resolute is a great brew!

32. AintNoTele

AintNoTele Initiate (114) Jun 4, 2014 South Carolina

I've had two bottles of oxidized Speedway stout. I was so bummed as this beer gets amazing reviews. A good friend sent the bottles to me (picked up directly from the store and mailed to me) and each had rust under the cap. Tasted like metallic motor oil, immediate drain pours.

That said, I really want to try these BA/coffee variants but just can't convince myself to pull the trigger. Same with prairie as I got a spoiled/rusty Bible Belt

Bad luck on my end I guess

33. DannyS

DannyS Initiate (0) Sep 20, 2007 New York

I see it a lot now at DeCicco's and Whole Foods here in the tri-state area, and they're both pretty darn good when it comes to keeping their beer stock fresh. Judging by your icon you're obviously a man of good taste; I'll definitely have to give it another chance.

charlzm likes this.
  34. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2010 New York

Interesting. Golden Monkey was HORRIFIC the first time I ever had it. I now realize, however, that this was because I had no idea what a "tripel" was, or why any beer would taste that way. So, in a way it was a spoiler, but I certainly grew to love the style, and beyond.

TongoRad likes this.
  35. oldsailor

oldsailor Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2008 Connecticut

Heck yeah, and it's a funny story! Stone IPA was my spoiler! They'd just come to Vegas with it and I'd never had it or any Stone beer back then. I tried it and absolutely hated it! I didn't try another Stone beer for two years. Funny turn of events years later and for the most part, if I pick the styles I like, they always turn out a decent product. I was also not "in" to the IPA's at that time, so that had something to do with it.

36. onespartan

onespartan Initiate (186) Nov 1, 2008 Michigan

This was definitely Prairie for me. Did a trade for a few things, 2 out of 3 were infected and I've never had (or wanted) a Prairie beer since.

37. mikepcarney

mikepcarney Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2009 Ohio

Rockmill did this to me. Now it was an infected beer, but it was my first from them and they are kinda pricey. I did email them about it and didn't receive a response. I will try them again, but I passed for about a year on their stuff.

38. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,437) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Society Trader

If so, those people need to learn how to read a damn label:
    [​IMG]

TongoRad likes this.
  39. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,437) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Don't try them again. If you sent an email with absolutely no response, their customer service is horrible and they don't deserve your money.

40. mrcraft

mrcraft Poo-Bah (2,111) Dec 15, 2012 California
    Society Trader

Oh no, Golden Monkey is on deck in my frig...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.