One day of beer in NYC

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by mathieu87, Oct 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mathieu87

mathieu87 Initiate (127) Jun 22, 2011 Belgium

A question for the people who know the beer-scene in NY a little: If you got one day of from the entire touristic/family-related visits of buildings, musea, etc etc, how would you plan that one day? Would you stay in NYC? Which shops/bars/restaurants/brewpubs/breweries would you visit? Or would you go out of NY? By car or by train?

Bottom line: one day in NYC and you can fill it with as much beer-related stuff as you can, what would you do?

2. afi4lifer

afi4lifer Aspirant (203) Jan 20, 2011 Colorado
    Trader

You'll get this one a lot, but for good reason: Blind Tiger Ale House.

Sure you'll get plenty of other recommendations but that's an absolute must.

mathieu87 and cavedave like this.
  3. mark14580

mark14580 Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2011 New York

I would go to Torst and could end the thread.

mathieu87 likes this.
  4. JdoubleA

JdoubleA Aspirant (259) Apr 27, 2011 North Carolina

Lillie's near time square may be one of the nicest looking bars I've ever been to. Nice selection as well. I also hit up Ginger Man, which was nice.

Mantooth and mathieu87 like this.
  5. Kjanisch7

Kjanisch7 Initiate (147) Jun 26, 2013 New Jersey

Without a doubt you have to hit up Blind Tiger Ale House...check out their website for events and such. They get some great breweries coming through there for tap takeovers, and always have a good line up in general. November 10th (a sunday) The Bruery is doing a takeover!! Not to mention, the food at this place is top notch.

Also you must check out Rattle N Hum (awesome beers, a bit pricey but worth it). Also check out Peculiar Pub in SoHo and Torst (Evil Twin's bar) in Brooklyn. Torst is unreal.

6. abkayak

abkayak Disciple (346) Jan 8, 2013 New York

i would no question get in a car and drive to Vermont

7. Quackus

Quackus Initiate (0) Mar 28, 2012 New York

This.

8. mdfb79

mdfb79 Poo-Bah (5,447) Jan 11, 2010 New York
    Society

Depends where you are starting, but if in mid-town, personally I would:
    1. Swing by Ginger Man and Rattle n Hum in midtown to see what was on tap and maybe get a flight at each bar. They are a 3 minute walk from each other, 3 blocks apart between the same Aves.

2. Take 6 train from 33rd St. down to 14th St. and walk over to Blind Tiger.

3. Walk back over to the 14th St. subway stop and take the L train over to the Bedford Ave stop in Brooklyn.

4. Stop by Mug's Alehouse enroute to Torst.

5. Continue down Bedford Ave for 10 minutes until arriving at Torst. From there I would either spend the rest of the money in my bank account at Torst until they closed, or possibly walk to Spuyten Duyvil.

9. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (2,786) Dec 1, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Whatever you do don't do it by car.

Also I like Pony Bar, both locations, don't think they were mentioned yet. Also Top Hops is a great spot to hang in, particularly in the afternoon.

mathieu87, cavedave and mdfb79 like this.
  10. sjjn

sjjn Aspirant (282) Jun 4, 2004 California

I'd check beermenus.com for these places and plan my route accordingly:

Pony Bar (Either UES or HK - both open late afternoon though), The Jeffrey, Blind Tiger, ACBC, Top Hops, Coopers Craft & Kitchen, Good Beer, TORST, Stag's Head and then also head to Brooklyn Brewery and dba w'Burg.

11. abkayak

***this would be great and use the citibikes just to make it a challenge***

12. HighLowJack

HighLowJack Disciple (383) Jun 5, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I've been to Torst a few times now and largely find it really overrated. The list is far too eclectic for a long session, not enough "comfort" beers. Last time there they had 1 IPA and no hefeweizens, but a bunch of overpriced Evil Twin stuff.

I guess the fact that's so heavily slanted towards Evil Twin - the most overpriced beer there is - is my major problem.

13. joeebbs

joeebbs Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2009 Pennsylvania

14. HighLowJack

HighLowJack Disciple (383) Jun 5, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I think ditto but skip Barcade unless you're really into old school video games. The Ginger Man, Pony Bar, and Valhalla bar crawl.

and go to Fette Sau at an odd hour

15. joeebbs

joeebbs Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2009 Pennsylvania

early afternoon between lunch and dinner is clutch there.

16. YieldToNothing

YieldToNothing Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2013 New York

torst and top hops

you don't really need to go anywhere else

17. mdfb79

mdfb79 Poo-Bah (5,447) Jan 11, 2010 New York
    Society

While I like both Top Hops and Torst a lot and recommend both places, a lot of people tend to say this and it is just not true.

Ginger Man, Rattle n Hum, both Pony Bar locations, and Blind Tiger routinely get great and/or rarer beers that those locations have had or even never had. If you had a full day to really do whatever you wanted in the NYC area, I would certainly try and hit up several places.

zid likes this.
  18. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Devotee (422) Feb 24, 2011 New Jersey

For me personally I always wanted to visit Birreria Restaurant because I really love the idea of introducing Italian craft and it makes sense for the grand NYC.

19. rolltide8425

rolltide8425 Meyvn (1,273) Feb 18, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Off the beaten path but I would hit up Singlecut Beersmiths in Astoria. Small operation but the beer is fan-freaking-tastic. Would also drop by Alewife since I used to live a block and a half from it and know the owner. Beer list is great too. Gonna throw in a shameless plug for the Exley in Brooklyn as it's owned by a buddy of mine. Only 6 taps but he makes 'em count.

sjjn likes this.
  20. cde1218

cde1218 Initiate (0) Sep 13, 2012 New Jersey

This was awesome abkayak!

21. Kanger

Kanger Zealot (521) Sep 3, 2013 New York

Well if you have never been to NYC before, then I would suggest coming out to Williamsburg Brooklyn and visit the Brooklyn Brewery (N.11th St and Wythe). Only one stop outside of Manhattan on the L train. From there you can walk to Mug's Ale House (N.10th St and Bedford), then head over to Radegast Bier Hall (N.3rd st and Berry), then you can walk to Lucky Dog Craft Beer Bar (Bedford btwn S.1st and S.2nd St), then head to Breukelen Bier Merchants (Grand btwn Bedford and Driggs), then walk over to Spuyten Duyvil (Metropolitan and Havemeyer), then walk over to Barcade (Union btwn Ainslie and Powers st).

I think that should be a good day of drinking. All of these places are within walking distance of each other so bring a good pair of shoes.

But if you can't get out of Manhattan then I suggest heading to the East Village and check out DBA, Drop Off Service, Good Beer Store, and Burp Castle.

Also Blind Tiger in Greenwich Village, Pony Bar over on 10th ave and 45th st, and Rattle N Hum on E.33rd st.

22. rozzom

rozzom Champion (878) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

I'm going to have to disagree with anyone promoting Rattle N Hum, Gingerman or pretty much any of the mid-town bars (Beer Authority, Stag's Head etc). Both of the Pony bars are a step up, but still nothing special. I'd say go to these places if there is a particular beer on tap (or event) that interests you, but to otherwise look elsewhere.

I guess to me if I was visiting somewhere, I would want to be drinking somewhere that really gives you a flavour of what the best of the city is all about (not just from a beer perspective). RnH, GM, BA - I don't think anyone can argue that these are in particularly picturesque parts of town.

I agree with Blind Tiger (although I hate to say it, but their selection isn't quite what it once was) and Top Hops in Manhattan. I'd add Jimmys No.43.

Otherwise I'd say skip Manhattan and stay in Brooklyn. I think you'll have more fun walking from place to place. I'd start in Greenpoint and work down, going to all of the places mentioned. You could then take the G down to park slope. Mission Dolores, Double Windsor, Owl Farm - all worth a look. Plus if I was going to tell someone to go to one place that gives them the best chance of finding good local beer, finding rarer beer, eating good food and being able to sit outside if the weather is nice - Bierkraft. Yeah bottles to go are a bit pricey, but if you're using it as a bar, you'll probably get the best value vs anywhere else in the city.

23. Kanger

Kanger Zealot (521) Sep 3, 2013 New York

Excellent sandwiches there too!

rozzom likes this.
  24. Flashy

Flashy Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2003 Vermont

Vermonts not all it's cracked up to be. I'll trade you the six hour round trip from Southern VT to Hill Farmstead for six hours at the Blind Tiger.
    You might also want to stop in McSorleys if you are in the area. Great legendary bar, so so beer.

dar482 likes this.
  25. abkayak

Southern Vermont won't work....don't get off the boat unless your going all the way.and It certainly is worth it...Imo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.