Germany One of the best beers I've had in Germany was Alkoholfrei :(

Discussion in 'Europe' started by SammyJ, May 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SammyJ

SammyJ Initiate (0) Mar 14, 2013 North Carolina

So I had a Lammsbrau WiessenDunkel the other night with dinner. I was at a place that only served non-alcoholic beer. I hate to admit it, but it was unbelievably good.

Flame on.

2. Gutes_Bier

Gutes_Bier Disciple (389) Jul 31, 2011 Germany

I'm confused. While I believe that you found a good N/A beer in Germany (Clausthaler also makes an OK one), I can't believe it's the best beer you've had here. I think you are just trying to hurt our feelings. What else have you tried that didn't make the grade?

3. SammyJ

Certainly not THE best (there's a Stark from Augustiner that holds that torch at the moment) but surprisingly good. I actually enjoy a lot of the Lammsbrau offerings, I guess I was just surprised by how much I didn't hate the Dunkel Weiße :slight_smile:

4. Gutes_Bier

Do you remember which Augustiner? Was it the Maibock/Ur-bock or the dopplebock? We had a bit of discussion about the Maibock in the "24 Hours In Munich" thread.

Lammsbrau also makes a 2% Schankbier, and now that you mention it, when I was in German class I knew someone who drank only N/A beers and he recommended I think exactly the beer you are talking about to my wife when she was pregnant. Glad you were able to find something that worked for you in that situation! (aside - there's a place in Germany that sells only N/A beer???)

Dunkel Weisse in general is a style I enjoy quite a bit. If you happen to find Ayinger's Ur-Weisse around town, give that a shot. I think you'll have to make room for it near the top of your list! :slight_smile:

5. SammyJ

Do you remember which Augustiner? [/quote]
    It was the Maximator

Most of their offerings are available at the Vollcorner down the road, I'll try to find that. And yes, surprisingly, there was a restaurant that only sells N/A. It's called Max Pett, just off of Sendlinger Tor. It's a vegan place that's surprisingly good. I actually ordered the beer not knowing it was NA, but realized it quickly thereafter.

I'll keep my eye out for it -- thianks!! I'm in Munich until the end of June, so I should hopefully be able to find it by then.

cheers,
    S

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  6. Gutes_Bier

Heck, if you're in Munich you can take the S....7...? to Aying and drink it on site. (Also they have a place across from the Hofbräuhaus that's probably easier for you).

I have only ever seen the Maximator in 2 or 3 liter bottles and there's just no way I'm buying a 2/3 liter bottle of dopplebock. I would love to try it though, I have heard good things.

I have heard there is a good vegan place in Munich, that must be it. Munich is a great city, I hope you enjoy your time there. If you haven't already, try to find some time to get to Bamberg, you'll be glad you did.

7. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (1,869) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

What he forgot to explain was that he'd been drinking the Maximator for hours before going to dinner -- the Lammsbrau tasted so good because it was cleansing his palate! :grinning:

SammyJ, Bierman9 and Gutes_Bier like this.
  8. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (2,788) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

“I have only ever seen the Maximator in 2 or 3 liter bottles …”

Hmmm, that beer is imported to the US in small bottles (12 ounce I suppose). I guess they only package in smaller bottles for export?

Cheers!

9. Erzengel

Erzengel Aspirant (290) Sep 8, 2008 Germany
    Beer Trader

Sure you don't mix up Augustiner and Hacker-Pschorr?? I've never seen an Augustiner beer in a large bottle. But also the Hacker-Pschorr beers are here in NRW available in 0,5l... Including the Animator (which I know that also 3l-bottles exist)...

10. einhorn

einhorn Aspirant (292) Nov 3, 2005 California
    Beer Trader

We carry Augustiner and as far as I can see, only 11.2oz bottles of helles & doppelbock in the export program. And it's very expensive for a 6 pack (retail $16.99) - egad! They might have larger formats, but I've never heard of them.

11. Gutes_Bier

Very possible, I've been confusing Augustiner with a lot lately. I looked it up and the bottle I was thinking of was indeed the Hacker-Pschorr. Man, I've been off my game lately.

12. SammyJ

When I had Maximator, it was in .5 L glass bottles from the local Getränkenmart

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.