One of the biggest names in craft beer is hopping over to the cannabis business

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by DIM, Jul 15, 2021.

1. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (3,040) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

2. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (8,698) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Not any kind of a surprise. They used to (maybe still do, it's been so long since I bought any OB) print a pipe screen on the side of the can.

3. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (1,828) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

While I'm sure his business acumen will serve him well in whatever field he chooses, in more concerned about the impact of cannabis legalization on hop farming. I know of one small hop ranch in Oregon that pulled up the rhizomes to switch to cannabis and I wonder if we will see others? I guess most established ranches won't be interested in switching lanes but perhaps it will don't potential new comers?

4. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (4,083) Oct 14, 2009 California
    Society Trader

I was fully expecting to see Lagunitas here.

Skeeter17, DCH, tonto and 9 others like this.
  5. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,026) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

I was expecting Stone. :grin:

DCH, micada, beerluvr and 3 others like this.
  6. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,533) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Sign of the times.

BigIronH, PapaGoose03 and Bitterbill like this.
  7. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,029) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Seems like the right time for it, now that federal decrim legislation is pending. If I was younger and had bucks ahoy I'd do the same. I bet Dale's buds will be good as his beers, so many of which I have loved.

BigIronH, zac16125, KRug and 5 others like this.
  8. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

I'm sure corporate is waiting for a bit looser federal reigns but they have collaborated on a line of hop terpene flavored cbd products.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  9. Squire

Society Trader

That legislation will be a shot in the arm for the tobacco industry.

BigIronH likes this.
  10. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (8,698) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Yeah, folks seem to forget that Stoner Tony ain't driving that boat anymore.

11. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Probably pretty good times on whatever boats he's driving these days. I'd also bet all the money in my pocket that he's got his fingers in the legal cannabis market

12. pixiesfanyo

pixiesfanyo Initiate (85) Oct 25, 2010 California

They already sell weed infused sparkling water in CA.

13. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (4,293) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

It will all settle down. Weed prices are already dropping in legalized states.. Federal legalization and cannabis cultivation becomes industrial i. Hops will be worth more.

eagles22 and neenerzig like this.
  14. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (4,293) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

Besides could you not grow each side by side in the right summer climate?

15. Resistance88

Resistance88 Initiate (18) Apr 9, 2015 California

As someone who suffered a CRIPPLING weed addiction since age 11, super easy my dad was a drug dealer, weed and this whole new hype can go f*^k itself.
    Plenty of friends whose lives are ruined over dealing half ounces to qps. Now its the cool thing to do in the open cuz its big business . Give me a break .

Lame move. Not impressed.
    Weed doesn't belong here no matter what the context .

tonto likes this.
  16. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

It will be interesting to see how the market plays out. Cannabis has a lot lower infrastructure demands than hops and returns within 3 months or so in some cases. It also fits into the annual field crop model that most farmers are familiar with. Really though, I think that the fairly narrow geographic area where hops grow well and the infrastructure is in place will keep those areas focused on trying to meet the hops market. I really don't see any hop ranches tearing out rhizomes to plant a field of weed
    not likely, although I suppose its feasible that someone could try running a round of auto flower cannabis in the early season before the hops have come on. Most big farmers aren't keen on experimentally stacking crops though.

I'd imagine that hop farmers will have some useful insights for managing broad scale cannabis cropping and collective drying/processing systems. Hemp could represent a serious source of revitalization for lots of rural america for sure. Hop growing regions are probably a little less desperate for new crops

cavedave, Jaycase and BBThunderbolt like this.
  17. o29

o29 Aspirant (239) Sep 29, 2020 Texas
    Society Trader

Bear in mind that we're posting on a beer forum, and alcohol has ruined far more lives than marijuana ever will.

While I'm sorry you experienced what you did, I imagine that regularly taking any potentially addictive substance, including alcohol, at the young age of 11 would have a similar impact. So I think the answer lies in enforcing responsible usage, not legally banning all potentially addictive substances.

18. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Meyvn (1,296) Apr 21, 2014 Canada (ON)
    Trader

If things are similar down there to up here, I don’t doubt it. Since cannabis shops were made legal here, it has become more convenient to get to one than to get to a place selling beer. I’m only slightly exaggerating when i say there is a shop on every block.

19. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,248) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

:thinking_face: Did he really "revolutionize canned beer" - an already existing technology - or did he just popularize cans in the then-tiny "craft beer" segment (2002 = ~3.5%) of the brewing industry?

Without Cask's manual canning line (which probably resulted in a much poorer canned beer compared to the cans coming off the large commercial breweries' lines as far as oxygen content) and Ball's cans, Oskar Blues really couldn't have done it. Yeah, there's no doubt he took a risk canning his beer and the craft brewers certainly looked down on cans - remember Jim Koch's Beer Drinkers Bill of Rights included:
    ... and many of the other "big names" in the craft segment of the time (all of which now can) made disparaging remarks about canned beer but I don't know if that really makes one a "revolutionary". A "contrarian", maybe? IIRC the Dale's cans were also seen by some as just "gimmicky".

#19 jesskidden, Jul 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    sharpski, ElmerLovejoy, DIM and 2 others like this.
  20. Resistance88

Absolutely agree, and thanks understanding my frustration.
    I see red whenever I see all this "We do weed now!!!" Crap
    f
    Furthermore, the whole alcohol has ruined more lives that weed is crap also. Stoneheads just die a slower death

21. William_Navidson

William_Navidson Aspirant (257) May 1, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Trader

What? Please take a second to step outside of your personal experience to consider the wider world, because I'm sure you wouldn't be saying this if you did so. Alcohol is quantifiably far more dangerous -- in terms of its propensity to be become addicted to it, in its immediate impairment of individuals, and in the real-world negative impact on lives at a far, far higher rate than marijuana. If you're skeptical about any of this, I'd be happy to explain further or provide more concrete evidence.

Personally I don't think either substance should be criminalized, but arguing that weed should be illegal due to its danger is honestly a thought that I thought was left behind in like 1995.

BigIronH, JayORear, beermeplz and 2 others like this.
  22. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (8,034) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

I was expecting SweetWater.

KRug likes this.
  23. Resistance88

i never said it should be illegal and as someone that worked in the industry until BOE shut us down from 2008-2013 i know the benefits. Most of my customers(about 60%) were Agent Orange victims, MS, cancer,lupus etc people whom i love to this day. Just sayin both been around since before Jesus and discipline is paramount with either.

i wouldnt say impairment from alcohol is "immediate " though. Sure you didnt either

24. William_Navidson

Trader

What do you mean "discipline is paramount?" Do you mean criminalization of possession? You said "weed doesn't belong here no matter the context" so I figured you meant prohibition or criminalization of some kind.

And sorry for the miscommunication: by "immediate" I didn't mean "it impacts people immediately." I used "immediate" just to draw a draw a distinction between the long-term effects of continued use (which are worse than weed) and the short-term effects of impairment (which are more significant, generally, than weed).

KRug likes this.
  25. Resistance88

I meant a beer forum, but I retract that.

When i say discipline is paramount. I mean control. Not overindulging.
    You can absolutely have a healthy relationship with both beer and weed.
    Problem is they make weed seem so harmless that people tend to over consume

And i dont know where you you get that conclusion from since most studies regarding health effects of long term marijuana use are still in their infancy . Smoking anything long term will fuck your lungs up . Edibles and tinctures im sure are safer but probabky still pose a risk ling term

26. William_Navidson

Trader

Oh my bad, I thought when you said "discipline" you meant like "punishment for use" but that makes much more sense, thanks for correcting me.

Resistance88 likes this.
  27. Resistance88

No worries man
    Pleasure discussing with you

Cheerz!!!:beer::beers::heavymetal:

William_Navidson likes this.
  28. Squire

Society Trader

Why am I not surprised.

29. Squire

Society Trader

Legalization wouldn't affect me one way or the other. On the other hand I'm told that weed grows well in our local climate and I have a 3/4 acre back yard. Daughter in law wants a garden but I'm thinking hmm, cash crop.

Scrapss and Reidrover like this.
  30. cavedave

Society Trader

Please pardon me for the obvious and needed wake up call for you that alcohol will kill more people before tomorrow is over than cannabis has killed in the last hundred years. I realize this is a beer site, but OTOH being a beer site I don't believe there is a single person here who isn't aware that alcohol poisoning is an actual thing, and that physical addiction of alcohol is of a scale cannabis cannot even begin to approach. We drink beer and each of us is necessarily cautious because each of us understands this is true.

Each of us have our opinions, yours needed some rebuttal.

Vitacca, BigIronH, KRug and 7 others like this.
  31. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,729) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Usually the headline doesn't read, "Man gets high, starts fight at bar, and is arrested".

It would likely read, "Man orders three meals, devours them, then forgets to pay bill".

The ONE thing alcohol has going for it over marijuana, is you can casually consume alcohol and not be impaired. I can have one beer and be sober.

You can't casually have an edible, a joint...etc. and not be impaired. Or, if your tolerance is high enough it doesn't affect you in small amounts, which then you'd ask, what's the point?

Strictly talking THC here, not CBD.

jonphisher likes this.
  32. Red_Brick_Brewer

Red_Brick_Brewer Initiate (17) Mar 19, 2021 Indiana

I don’t think this is true. I’m pretty sure you can micro dose with a low thc edible and just have a buzz

33. cavedave

Society Trader

Depending on how often you smoke and your resistance, similarly to alcohol, your comparison of one beer to a joint/edible is a false equivalency. Each person can judge on their own, but for most of us one beer is equivalent to a couple of tokes from a joint, or part of an edible.

Right now, though, I wouldn't be good to drive after one fairly strong beer, though three years ago I would have been fine after three beers of that strength

34. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

I know its somewhat common to compare the burgeoning cannabis industry to the young craft beer scene, but I wonder how solid that comparison actually is? In a lot of ways, the modern US cannabis industry (at least out here, but also from what I've observed in other legal states) feels a lot like the existing craft beer scene, not like the craft beer scene of 20-25 years ago. Beyond money and some general business acumen, does this fella bring anything uniquely valuable to his new gig from his old one? They're already putting weed in cans

35. Resistance88

Yea sure. That is correct.

OTOH you never read man starts drinking regularly throughout life and develops schizophrenia(physhosis) , or other mental health disorder like anxiety, due to pre-existing genetics.

Which would not have happened with alcohol.

All I'm stating is that MAYBE marijuana use poses more of a health risk than we would like to imagine.

Cheers:beer::beers:

36. AlcahueteJ

Society

You're both missing my point (or I'm not explaining it clearly).

I didn't say one fairly strong beer. Ok, let's say a 2-3% 12 oz. pour. Regardless, there's a point at which you can have a low enough dose of alcohol and enjoy it responsibly because you like the taste.

No one (or far less people than with alcohol) are consuming it in low doses for the taste (whether it be the taste from smoking the weed, or the edible).

Marijuana serves one purpose, to get you high. Alcohol is also in beverages that have flavor, and serves another purpose.

By the way, I'm absolutely pro-cannabis, and think it's FAR less dangerous than alcohol. But my point above is one of the few "pros" alcohol has over marijuana.

37. Resistance88

Same boat as you.

Repeating that i know cannabis does help people because i worked in the industry and met many people who absolutely benefited from the healing effects. They did not smoke just to get high.

The problem I have is how harmless they paint consumption to be. That shit is absolutely harmful.

I also want to state that ever since i stoppsd using cannabis ALL of the people i used to smoke with(dozens upon dozens) ask me EVERYTIME I SEE THEM:
    "Are you smoking weed again?"
    I respond NO.
    They ALWAYS FOLLOW WITH :
    " Damn I wish I could stop but I can't. I've tried."
    100% of the time with the exception of ONE person.

Here is my ultimate conclusion after beeing thc free for 2 and a half years after 20+ years of everyday use:: I still hate the stuff I hated. I still like what I liked. Nothings changed except for the fact i dont smoke anymore. So many people are fooled into thinking it is helping them when in fact it is detrimental physically and financially. That is my problem with cannabis.

38. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

I think you may be surprised how many people actually do consume doses of the low enough to not overly impair
    addressing whether this is true and to what degree is one of the most exciting things about this loosening of restrictions around the plant. We don't really have much beyond anecdotes about how impairment works with cannabis. I often wonder specifically about what consumption of these super pure thc extracts does. You can purchase stuff that is 95%+ the with nearly the entirety of the remainder a terpene blend. Theres no way thats having an impact in the same category as the flower that many grew up with that tipped the scale at lik 8-10% thc, a couple % cbd, and a whole suite of other compounds.

Lots of people in my generation smoke that purified stuff all day every day. I really want to see a lot more research on that madness, especially on young brains.

o29, cavedave, jonphisher and 2 others like this.
  39. Resistance88

Great point!
    At a shop one of my friends visits the top seller in his age group( 30-55) is a 3% THC ORGANIC OUTDOOR FLOWER. I love that. Let me add that he still smokes to get high though
    And i absolutely guarantee that Dabs( that high potency 95% THC crap) are fuckin kids brains up. That stuff is a nightmare.

40. AlcahueteJ

Society

Well still, not "overly" impair. But the point is to have some physical and/or mental effect beyond taste correct?

Absolutely, marijuana is not widely studied in controlled environments or experimented on due to the stigma. We're just now exploring the possibilities.

At least from what I've read, THC especially has been poorly studied in isolation. Isolating it from smoking that is, which we know is harmful.

Of course, this goes both ways. It could reveal it's both more beneficial AND more harmful than we originally thought.

Resistance88 likes this.