Onion/garlic flavor in IPA's, Summit Hops?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Pelican5, Apr 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JustinLetwinsky

JustinLetwinsky Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2012 Maryland

You're not crazy... I specifically googled "Hop Stoopid Onion Flavor" and it brought me here. I still enjoy Hop Stoopid, but it does have the Onion hint to it. By the way, I thought it was cool you mentioned "Sculpin" and "Pliny" as your "go to" IPA's cuz those are my favorites as well. Victory Hop Wallop and Stone Ruination are not too far behind.

2. sixerofelixir

sixerofelixir Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2009 Ohio

Gubna 4+ months after canning:
    Smell is honey & alcohol. At first sip, I'm surprised how present the hops are. A lingering, spicy aftertaste (this is the aspect of Summit hops that reminds me of onions, though the rye is at play here as well).. high viscosity feel..nice overall balance.. holding up very well!

3. MichiBrew

MichiBrew Initiate (107) Nov 26, 2010 Michigan

Double Crooked Tree? Really? Hmmm...thats one of my all time favorites and have never noticed the summit flavor...not sure there are summit hops in there anyway...its more malty-ripe citrusy to me...DD is def the king of this flavor although I enjoy one every once in awhile...

4. MichiBrew

MichiBrew Initiate (107) Nov 26, 2010 Michigan

Dont worry...if its aged it becomes a citrusy barleywine...very, very tasty...no onion/garlic...

5. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

Reviving this thread and replying to this specific comment because I've had 4-5 Daytime IPAs in the last few days. I'm getting a lot of that onion flavor. I hadn't noticed it in other Lagunitas beers, but it's very apparent in this beer. It doesn't necessarily ruin the beer, but it does strike me as odd. I prefer pineyness, weed, and citrus over onion though.

Duffman79 and JMScowcroft like this.
  6. fatsnowman22

fatsnowman22 Initiate (123) Feb 2, 2011 Nevada

Always prefer weed over onions :slight_smile:

7. PSU_Mike

PSU_Mike Champion (865) Sep 6, 2013 Pennsylvania

I got quite a bit from Hop Ranch and I know I am not the only one. Still loved the beer though.

DVoors likes this.
  8. dcw6363

dcw6363 Initiate (76) Nov 11, 2009 Wisconsin
    Trader

The green onion thing is a big problem for me. The sad part is I think it's developed over time. The first time I tried Hop Whoopin' from O'So, I loved it. But then the following year, it was pretty much undrinkable for me.

So far the known culprits for me are summit and citra hops. The freshness could have something to do with it, as others have noted. I had Pseudo Sue on tap when it was quite young, and the green onions were overpowering. I had some PS from a bomber that was a month old, and it was much better.

I have found it to be very heavy in Hop Stoopid, Hop Whoopin', Green Flash (forget which one). Zombie Dust as well. I can't really drink these anymore. :slight_frown:

In some IPAs I detect a little onion, but it's not enough to make me dislike the beer. Pliny, Scream. Or maybe they were just a little more aged, I don't know.

In Two Hearted, I detect none whatsoever, even when fresh. If I ever start tasting it in TH I am going to be very upset.

9. Masters

Masters Zealot (559) Mar 7, 2014 Massachusetts

So weird, I have never referred to a hop flavor as an onion or garlic. I don't get it

57md likes this.
  10. jplopez21

jplopez21 Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2012 Illinois

I usually get onion flavor from sorachi ace.

11. DVoors

DVoors Initiate (160) Jan 6, 2014 Indiana

I recently tried Victory Hop Ranch for the first time, and the onion/garlic aroma and flavor were so strong and overpowering that I couldn't finish it. I had to pour it out. I've never noticed it in Hop Stoopid or Zombie Dust though. I know that Summit, Apollo, Mosaic, Belmont, and CTZ all have the potential to impart onion and garlic flavors.

12. Guzzle_McBrew

Guzzle_McBrew Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2014 Connecticut

what about Onion the Wings of Armageddon?

I get it on Gubna, too. Falconer's Flight hops in large doses tastes to me like a 420 Onion.

13. breadwinner

breadwinner Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2014 California

The February batch of Stone Enjoy By was teeming with it, and I get it pretty noticeably in Go To as well. At first, I found the note very unappealing, but I'm finding that, when in moderation, I actually enjoy it. "Savory" is the word I've ended up using to describe it. It can be a nice break from the usual grapefruit and citrus pith, or, even worse, excessive reliance on Citra hops and other fruit-salad type varieties. IMO, of course:slight_smile:

#133 breadwinner, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  14. Guzzle_McBrew

Guzzle_McBrew Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2014 Connecticut

15. BltByKrmn

BltByKrmn Defender (669) Jan 16, 2013 New York

I'm so glad I'm not the only one, I was starting to think I was crazy.

Enjoy By 12/26 was undrinkable for me the onion kick was out of control.

I tried War Elephant tonight and while it was amazing at first, as it warmed the onion became unbearable.

16. 57md

57md Poo-Bah (3,479) Aug 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society

Gotta say that I never experienced an essence of onion in any IPA. I know that many claim to have found such a flavor but it is clearly lost on me.

17. spitshaded

spitshaded Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2012 Virginia

Green Bullet smelled & tasted like straight up garlic to me. Never had that much of an effect on me before from any other beer.

Eriktheipaman likes this.
  18. cmgray03

cmgray03 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2012 Colorado

PsuedoSue is the one IPA that I've had that the onion flavor was so overwhelming that I had a hard time enjoying it.

EricTKole and michaelstolzman like this.
  19. MistahBeah

MistahBeah Initiate (0) May 12, 2013 Massachusetts

Agree with onion flavors in Stone Enjoy By. Also picked up a lot of vegetation from Port Hop

On the subject of Simcoe, I notice a plastic or rubbery flavor that I find off-putting. Not in every Simcoe-hopped beer I've had, mind you, but definitely in most Simcoe-forward brews. Especially All Day

EricTKole and charlzm like this.
  20. MistahBeah

MistahBeah Initiate (0) May 12, 2013 Massachusetts

Sorry Port Hop 15

21. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I had a 12-26 while not m favorite bottling I didn't get any onion from it. Old cannings of Gubna were onion, haven't had it recently though.

22. Masters

Masters Zealot (559) Mar 7, 2014 Massachusetts

Too bad I have never tasted onion or garlic in my IPA. I would deff have used to for a base for my chicken already :slight_frown:

Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  23. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,440) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware
    Society

When I was a brand new home brewer I bought a big batch of hops that included summit. I was afraid to use them because of the garlic reports. On homebrewtalk.com there was a big discussion about this phenomenon. In that thread many people blamed the timing of the addition. Early additions did not seem to have the problem and late additions did not either. It seemed to be centered on the mid additions around the 30 minute range. I did not confirm this with my batch of summit. I used it for all late addition and dry hopping. All I had was beautiful pineapple tangerine flavors. I will say that I have tasted the garlic and onions in some IPA's, but would not consider me highly attuned to them.

bld81 likes this.
  24. TylerKitchens

TylerKitchens Aspirant (270) Apr 9, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society

You are in MA...pick up a Hopulence DIPA from Wormtown Brewing Co. and let the games begin!

Stupid amount of oniony hop flavors, at least the batch I had.

25. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,523) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

The first time I had 12-26, I didn't notice it at all... Finished a second growler of it a couple of nights ago and it was like drinking Funyuns.... Really grew tiresome by the end... Almost like a different beer but came from same keg... It was strange...

JackHorzempa likes this.
  26. PlatonicOtterLuv

PlatonicOtterLuv Initiate (104) Oct 23, 2014 Minnesota
    Deactivated

Surprised that Maine Dinner hasn't been mentioned yet. That was far and away the most ridiculous "green onion" IPA I've ever had. It was on tap at the brewery, so I'm certain it was fresh and the brewers intent. Still an excellent balance otherwise, and just as clean as their other hoppy ales. Oddly enough - no summit hops, but as others have pointed out, that's not the only onion/garlic culprit.

Anyone know what would impart the onion in Dinner? Has Citra, Falconer’s Flight, Mosaic & Simcoe.

27. TylerKitchens

Society

Has to be FF. Mosaic and Simcoe are more Piney while Citra is, well citrusy. Could also be a combination of hop varietals acting together or different addition time and durations. Lots of variables to consider.

28. Sarge3130

Sarge3130 Initiate (0) May 13, 2012 Pennsylvania

Maine Brewing's Dinner was an absolute onion bomb.

29. TylerKitchens

Society

Just confirmed that Hopulence from Wormtown does in fact have Summit hops which now makes perfect sense.

30. Beertsipper

Beertsipper Defender (606) Nov 18, 2008 New York

I loved Dinner. Probably my favorite DIPA. But I just couldn't stand Gubna. I had it a couple of years ago, but I understand the recipe has changed?

elkabong and TylerKitchens like this.
  31. elkabong

elkabong Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2014 Wisconsin

same for me

32. ChrisinRI

ChrisinRI Initiate (0) May 5, 2014 Rhode Island

This year's Double Dose was an onion bomb, IMO.

bluehende likes this.
  33. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,440) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware
    Society

I was trying to think which IPA I had that definitely had that oniony taste and that was it. Not totally unpleasant to me, but kept it from being the wow beer I expected.

ChrisinRI likes this.
  34. readyski

readyski Defender (606) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Society Trader

Not on your Bratwurst you don't :wink:
    I have also tasted the onion/garlic thing (Gubna comes to mind) It too has it's place.

35. charlzm

charlzm Poo-Bah (2,464) Sep 3, 2007 California
    Society

If someone wanted to make (to me) the most repulsive tasting IPA, they would use solely Simcoe and Summit. Cat piss, garlic and onions. MMM-mm!

36. Beertsipper

Had a Devil Dancer today. Drank it over a 45 minute span. I detected no onion flavors. Even as it warmed. It was a 4 month old bottle. Heavy on the booze, chalky, dark and tropical fruits, but no onion as others have observed. More like a barleywine. I'd like to try this beer with 2-3 years on it.

37. Southerndiscomfort

Southerndiscomfort Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2014 North Carolina

To me it's like that oniony weed ya get sometimes. It's nice on occasion but who doesn't want that fruity shit.

readyski likes this.
  38. TylerKitchens

Society

I've heard horror stories about trying to age Devil Dancer...you have been warned, best fresh

39. MisSigsFan

MisSigsFan Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 California

Deep River from Knee Deep/Kern River had a lot of that onion/garlic flavor last time I had it. I actually don't mind it.

40. Beertsipper

Please, do tell...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.