Online Tasting: Lambic (October 30th - November 1st) - Planning Thread

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by FBarber, Oct 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (6,262) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Everyone is invited to join the BeerAdvocate community Halloween weekend for an online tasting of the Lambic style. While the tasting is open ended and any lambic or lambic-style beer is fair game for inclusion in the tasting thread, everyone is encouraged to focus on true lambics from Belgium.

The Lambic "umbrella" includes the following sub-styles per Beer Advocate:
    Other traditionally recognized sub-styles include unblended lambics and Kriek (which BA groups under the fruited category.

Looking for a suggestion for a beer to get for this thread? Post here for suggestions depending on the distribution in your region. And, if possible, try to support your local bottle shops when purchasing beers for this tasting thread.

Some of the more well known Belgian producers include:
    • Belle-Vue
    • Boon
    • Cantillon
    • Mort Subite
    • De Troch
    • Girardin
    • Lindemans Brewery
    • Timmermans
    • Van Honsebrouck (St. Louis)
    • 3 Fonteinen
    And some of the more well known Belgian blenders include:
    • Tilquin
    • De Cam
    • Hanssens Artisanaal
    • Oud Beersel
    This thread will allow for discussion leading up to the tasting. On Friday October 30th, we will post a formal tasting thread to kick things off. The tasting will continue through the rest of Halloween weekend. Regardless if the beer you choose to drink is completely new to you or if you decide to revisit an old favorite, everyone is welcome to join in the tasting. All that is required is that you post what beer you're drinking, along with your thoughts, tasting notes, or a full review of it. Your notes or review can be as brief or detailed as you wish, but some thoughts on the beer are required. This is not a substitute for WBAYDN. If the beer is new to you, consider cross-posting your review in the New Beer Weekend thread. And finally, posts accompanied by picture(s) are, as always, highly encouraged.

Have an idea for a future online tasting that you would like to see? Go over to our Online Beer Tasting Idea Submission Thread and suggest an idea for a future tasting: https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/online-beer-tastings-idea-submission-thread.476806/

2. cheeseheadinMinneapolis

cheeseheadinMinneapolis Zealot (525) Sep 20, 2017 Minnesota

Count me out sorry.......yuck. Ok maybe i will try one.

jkblr likes this.
  3. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Poo-Bah (3,999) Jun 9, 2006 Colorado
    Society Trader

Pretty sure Oud Beersel is a producer not just a blender.

4. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

They get their wort from Boon and barrel it in house.

westcoastbeerlvr and ChicagoJ like this.
  5. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,381) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

I'll be participating, but cautiously.

I'm not much for sour anything... but I'll try it.

@cheeseheadinMinneapolis, if I can do it, so can you! :wink:

Junior, Gemini6, ChicagoJ and 9 others like this.
  6. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Poo-Bah (1,892) Apr 21, 2014 Canada (ON)
    Society Trader

In!

This will be a great excuse to pop the cork on a bottle or two I’ve been saving and collecting for in-person shares that may never happen.

Junior, Gemini6, Dimidiata and 6 others like this.
  7. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,081) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Got a couple good bottles I'll look into. I even have a bottle of the recent gold medal winner from GABF in the american lambic style. We'll see what works out but I rarely drink more than one lambic in a day just cause of the cost but maybe I'll make an exception for this event

8. Whyteboar

Whyteboar Meyvn (1,270) Jun 7, 2008 Michigan
    Society Trader

I’m in. Always willing to add to my experience and knowledge, which are both sorely lacking in this particular genre.

9. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (2,503) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Looking forward to this one! I was planning to sip Lambic while trick or treating with the kids, so I will redirect to this share!

StoutElk_92 and FBarber like this.
  10. Jack_14

Jack_14 Devotee (413) Nov 2, 2019 Italy
    Trader

Seen this morning, I can only answer now.
    Great idea!
    Excellent excuse to go and retrieve some forgotten gems in the home cellar.
    Of course ... for some of these I will wait for important moments in life, since they are practically unique vintages ... by now, I believe, they have become unobtainable ... (I put a photo, just for explanatory purposes)
    I will look at what some of you will put up to avoid a possible "duplication".
    Sorry for any linguistic imperfections!
    See you all soon Advocates!

[​IMG]

... when even the dust is a source of pride!

Rug, ChicagoJ, Prince_Casual and 14 others like this.
  11. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

If you are not a big fan of the sour stuff, try some of the sweeter stuff - Lindemans fruited stuff is sweetened, so its really tasty and very accessible. Also, its generally more affordable if you're not looking to spend a lot on a bottle. I know the Lindemans fruit lambics are controversial, but I personally think they're delicious.

Junior, Rug, ChicagoJ and 6 others like this.
  12. Roy_Hobbs

Roy_Hobbs Meyvn (1,096) Jan 21, 2017 Connecticut
    Society Trader

100% agree. I have a habit of saving more beer for potential future shares than I should given the relative infrequency of those shares actually occuring. Doubly so with lambics as due to the huge shelf-life, there's often no urgency to drink them before they are past their prime. (I may be dead before some of them are past their prime).

Looking forward to the event!

Junior, ChicagoJ, Dimidiata and 5 others like this.
  13. officerbill

officerbill Savant (968) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

Their strawberry is an excellent sipper that I've served in lieu of sparkling wine, the peach is very nice on a cold winter day
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/187/307080/

ChicagoJ, Whyteboar, TongoRad and 3 others like this.
  14. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,381) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Thanks. That's what I'm doing.

From looking at the online list from one of the local stores, I'm settling on a Lindemans Framboise. And then something just a slight bit more challenging from Lindemans (because, as you say, they are not too expensive) - Lindemans Cuvée René Oude Kriek.

Anyhow, that's what I've ordered for curb side pickup. (Snowing here today, so I better get moving to get it picked up before all the experienced* MN winter drivers turn things too crazy!)

* An experienced MN winter driver typically has 1 year of experience, repeated 20 times.

15. swid

swid Meyvn (1,094) Jun 5, 2004 Missouri
    Society Trader

I'm in - as luck would have it, I managed to (modestly) augment my lambic collection recently with a variety of Tilquins and a 3F Kriek.

Junior, ChicagoJ, Dimidiata and 4 others like this.
  16. Luscious_Malfoy

Luscious_Malfoy Poo-Bah (3,916) Oct 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

i’m in. haven’t tried a ton of lambic but i can’t get enough of 3F A&G. maybe i’ll poke around the cellar to see what else i’d have to pop.

ChicagoJ, eppCOS, StoutElk_92 and 2 others like this.
  17. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (4,537) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

I got some nice bottles in my cellar for this, might open the 2020 Fou' Foune to see if that's any better than the 2017 vintage I had recently.

ChicagoJ, eppCOS, officerbill and 4 others like this.
  18. Jack_14

Jack_14 Devotee (413) Nov 2, 2019 Italy
    Trader

Recently drank on tap @Ma che siete venuti a fa (Roma)
    In my humble opinion
    Too much fresh fruit feels, it deserves to ripen a little longer
    Too "marmalade"
    Sweet, sugary.
    The Bretta needs more time to work ...
    The fact remains that if I had to see it again attached, a small 0,20 cl glass I would instantly do it again
    I love it, I have a single specimen in the home cellar: bottled 18 August 2015.
    then if you can find it easily ... blessed are you, you are right to open it when you want

19. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (3,264) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society

Lookin forward to it! My plan is to open a bottle of Oude Gueuze Tilquin à l’Ancienne since I have a few of those, a 3 Fonteinen Oude Geuze since I have a couple, a 3F Kriek which is new to me that I recently acquired, and maybe a Mikkeller Spontan beer if those are allowed. I have a Cantillon Kriek as well though I'll be saving that since I've had it and would like to age the one I have a little longer. Wish I had a Cantillon Gueuze to drink as well but the 3F should make up for it. Would be nice if these beers were more widely available and affordable, but I'll take what I can get. Cheers all!

20. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (4,537) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

I thought that the 2017 was way too acidic and didn't really have a vibrant apricot presence to it. I think with fruited Lambic it's always best to open them sooner rather than later, but to each their own, of course.

21. kjcoff

kjcoff Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2013 Florida

The
    Lindeman’s Framboise and raspberry sherbet are made for each other! I know it sounds horrid but give it a shot sometime! The sherbet blows the lid off the Framboise! Very yummy!

ChicagoJ, Whyteboar and StoutElk_92 like this.
  22. stephens101

stephens101 Poo-Bah (2,756) May 5, 2006 Oklahoma
    Society

Great idea. Need a break from my ordinary fare, and this is just the push I need. Might need to raid the wife's sour cellar for something interesting, and hope she doesn't miss it...that's not happenin':slight_smile:

Junior, ChicagoJ, Whyteboar and 3 others like this.
  23. Coronaeus

Society Trader

A friend recently told me that 2013 Horal Megablend is the best Gueuze he’s ever had. I recently acquired one to see if I concur. I think that is what I’ll be sharing to start. Perhaps I’ll follow with my favourite Gueuze, which is also a collaboration, but a also a little different.

I’m hoping to see some Faro shared. I’ve never seen it available near me and have never had one.

Rug, ChicagoJ, Dimidiata and 5 others like this.
  24. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (3,264) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society

Lindemans Faro is amazing imo. You never really see it around though. Shame because I'm pretty sure it's available wherever most Lindemans is available, retailers just don't order it because they don't know what the hell it is or if anybody will buy it. I got a bottle one time and loved it, but have never seen any since or from any other brewer. The wild lambic base with the brown sugary sweetness is a really intriguing combo. Cheers!

25. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (5,040) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

Hell yeah, I have a few lambics sitting around that I have just been needing a reason to open!

ChicagoJ, Beer-A-Lot, eppCOS and 5 others like this.
  26. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I’m not a sour guy but beers from Lindemann's tastes like White Claw stuff. At best a bit tart, love the fruit.

ChicagoJ and officerbill like this.
  27. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

Lindemans Faro is the only one I've ever seen on shelves around here.

ChicagoJ and StoutElk_92 like this.
  28. Coronaeus

Society Trader

On occasion we have had Cuvée René and Cuvée René Kriek. Otherwise, nothing from Lindemans. If you aren’t buying directly from the importer here, it is a Lambic wasteland.

Junior, ChicagoJ, StoutElk_92 and 2 others like this.
  29. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

we get all of the Lindeman's beers, but the only faro Ive ever seen was the Lindemans.

StoutElk_92 likes this.
  30. bret27

bret27 Poo-Bah (1,991) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Society Trader

I got into the spirit and bought a 3F oude kriek for $17, so I better get some likes on Halloween.

31. bret27

bret27 Poo-Bah (1,991) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Society Trader

Enough to make a grown man cry.

32. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

We have a nano brewery that occasionally makes a "faro" but its a super tart light beer that he told me was "like a young lambic". That doesn't appear to be the way its described on this site and I've never tried any other versions so I don't know. I'd be interested to try the style described on here

33. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,989) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

It's strange to see them bottled to begin with. It's really more of a serving style than anything else. Back when Lambic was more popular, Faro was a way of drinking the young batches that came out overly tart; and the bartender would mix in some sugar syrup at the point of service to make it more palatable.

34. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Huh, that makes some sense. This guy is basically selling (was almost all draft only and has now pivoted to a membership where you prepay for pressurized growlers) the super tart stuff sans sugar. I tried it once but found it very unpleasant honestly. I just got a kiwi lambic from him though that was honestly one of the better lambics I've ever had. Might save the other growler to crack for this event. Might go back and resupply this weekend

ChicagoJ, FBarber, Coronaeus and 2 others like this.
  35. bauers

bauers Disciple (399) Feb 6, 2011 California
    Society Trader

You might might want to look out for some Lindeman's then. They tend to make their lambics on the sweet side.

StoutElk_92, officerbill and FBarber like this.
  36. bauers

bauers Disciple (399) Feb 6, 2011 California
    Society Trader

Not sure if I'll be up for it - going under the knife on 10/30 - but if recovered enough to be off the pain relievers I'll crack open something! *Though it might be the 2013 Russian River Beatification I've been hoarding ;-)

37. Whyteboar

Society Trader

Okay, question. Apologies if this was already answered and I scrolled past it (I did try to read all the messages in this thread as there is still just one page!) but according to my (admittedly recent, brief and shallow) research, the term "lambic" is reserved for a specific region in Belgium for their "micro-flora" (or marketing acumen) and everybody else has "wild" or "barn" beers (etc...) but are not supposed to call them lambic. So are we using the term in a generic sense for this purpose, or are we trying to get actual lambics for the tasting?

38. emerge077

emerge077 Poo-Bah (13,408) Apr 16, 2005 Illinois
    Society Trader

It sounds like you're describing Meerts, which is a second runnings "small beer" from the lambic mash. Boon produces this for Tilquin, they use it to lower the ABV in their draft version of Oude Gueuze.

Traditional (spontaneous) young lambic is rarely "super tart" as it usually hasn't had enough time to allow the bugs to really go to work. If an American brewer pitches a "lambic" culture with lacto and pedio, it can sour a beer a lot faster, but without spontaneous fermentation it's classified as a wild ale.

39. swid

swid Meyvn (1,094) Jun 5, 2004 Missouri
    Society Trader

This bit from the OP has you covered. :slight_smile:

40. Whyteboar

Society Trader

I figured I had missed it somewhere. Thanks much!

swid, officerbill and FBarber like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.