Online Tasting: Non-Alcoholic Beers (Jan 14-17)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by elNopalero, Jan 14, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eppCOS

eppCOS Poo-Bah (1,953) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

UA N/A West Coast IPA

A - doesn't have that classic see-through west coast appearance, which is my main objection for an N/A facsimile. Head dissolves out quickly.

A - citric/hop smell is pretty indistinct but has a bit of pine in there, nothing too strong or WORTY (thanks be to Allah).

T - unlike @FBarber - I actually feel like this is OK as a light west coaster, almost as good as some session pales I've had hovering in the 3.x - 4.x % level, stays bitter, crisp, all I'm ever frankly in something like this kind of placebo.

M - decent carbonation, not bitter, not worty, prickles on the tongue? Good.

O - a reasonable impression of an IPA, better than most other IPAs in the N/A school.

Hope y'all are well, keep up the great work; already noticed a couple on this tasting thread I might have to revisit, including that "Italian Pilsner" which I also thought was good. Cheers.

[​IMG]

2. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,348) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

I'll be doing a side-by-side with that one partnered with the UA-3 Sons collaboration Mexican Chocolate Pot De Creme Imperial Stout. [​IMG]

Might be quite the mismatch. Oh well... at least they both have chocolate! :yum: :wink:

3. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,862) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

I went to the grocery store this AM for some food, and grabbed my next beer. As I perused (I was disappointed in not finding DFH's N/A option), I did wonder briefly why there were no 40 ouncers of N/A beers :wink:

Anyhow, I ended up with what I thought would be an Irish stout. O'Doul's was snagged because it is the first beer I recall seeing of the low-to-no alcohol variety many years ago. I do not recall ever having it, though I probably tried it at some point. Other than the three I have rated here, I only vaguely recall one time I might have purposefully chosen a N/A beer, and I don't remember what it was.

And no, I didn't get wasted on it causing me to forget. I don't think. :thinking_face:
    [​IMG]
    Anyhow, even though I didn't really expect O'Doul's to be Irish anything, I was still oddly surprised to see the clear, light yellow gold liquid pour from the bottle neck. The beer looks like maybe a slightly lighter version of a regular light beer from the "evil empire" brewer. Head wasn't much to speak of, but similar to yesterday, the glass helped maintain a decent white rim of bubbles.

The beer smells like, well... beer. It has an corn adjunct vibe to it, which isn't a shock given its lineage (quick search indicates corn in normal and high fructose syrup form might be involved). It has a decent, slightly [dry] grassy bitterness for an AAL.

It's taste... barely exists. The bitterness comes through lightly atop a Carr's water cracker flavored seltzer. It has the least little bit of that N/A flavor at the end of the taste, so little I almost thought it was absent until the last of the liquid cleared my tongue.

If avoiding offensive flavors is all you care to get out of the style, this might be a good option. I didn't hate this, but there's also not much to really enjoy either, other than the absence of a negative.

#83 cjgiant, Jan 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  4. EmperorBevis

EmperorBevis Poo-Bah (9,254) Sep 25, 2011 England
    Moderator Society Trader

My birthday is at the end of January, so I’ve never thought of doing Dry January & this year is no different, but a couple of AF for my working from home lunch to celebrate being halfway through my long weekend shifts.
    [​IMG]
    First Free Damm, AF Estrella. Looks the part, aroma is okay if a little too wheaty for my liking
    flavour is light & refreshing & tbh I’ve had worse alcoholic macro lager
    [​IMG]
    Then onto Brulo 7 Hop 7 Grain
    Lots of foaming white head, Aroma is piny citrus hops & the flavour is pineapple with a little grapefruit

5. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (6,092) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Ive got 2 more cans, so I will circle back on it. It just didn't taste good last night - I couldn't shake that old WCIPA flavor I was getting. Out of curiosity, what is the date on your can?

6. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (3,215) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Good afternoon BA
    Today's offering...
    [​IMG]
    Lagunitas IPNA
    12oz bottle coded 333 1 1 (bottled 47 days ago at the Petaluma location) poured into a Spiegelau IPA glass at just above fridge temp 0.5% ABV. The beer pours bright honey amber with very light khaki head. The head recedes to a thin irregular ring and leaves a little lacing. The aroma is moderate in strength featuring vague citrus and pine. The taste is bitter piney citrus hop juice with little to no balancing malt. The mouthfeel is thin bodied with average carbonation and a dry finish. Overall, good if you're just missing hops. I can't help but wonder why they can't put some of the typical NA beer sweet, wort-like character in here to truly replicate an IPA.

7. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (5,261) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Dipping into this before I move over to some 'regular' beers for the day.

[​IMG]

Athletic's ESB.

Pours a dark brown with a copper hue to it. Head is two fingers of dense khaki foam. Aroma is caramel, toffee, and bread. Grassy hops and sugary wort develop towards the back, but are an afterthought. A late raw grain note disrupts the otherwise pleasant nose. The entire aroma leans into the 'sweet' category. Flavor profile is caramel, toffee, and mild raisins. It leans into malts for the duration of the flavor profile, with some late grassy hops. As with the nose, it leans sweet, but the balance is better here. Mouth feel is softly crisp with a medium thickness. Overall, simple, clean, and malt forward.

Score: 4.5 | 3.75 | 4 | 4 | 4.25 | BA Score: 4.02 | rDev: N/A

8. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,028) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

I think this is the trap that needs to be avoided with NA beer. Comparing a NA and "regular" version of the "same" beer isn't really a fair comparison. I appreciate your objectivity. It's a difficult task to find two examples of the same NA style for comparison. I'm not trying to be critical, just trying to think of a more objective comparison between the beers I guess.

ChicagoJ, Whyteboar, IKR and 6 others like this.
  9. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,028) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Allright, time to start living up to those 2022 BA resolutions...
    Up for review today is Bitburger NA pils. Best before 3/31/2022. So it's still good, right? Poured into a dirty dam adams perfect pint from the bottle. Crystal clear gold, half inch soapy head that quickly retreats to a thin layer of white foam. Carbonated like a soda it seems. Nose is all noble hops up front with a touch of bready malt and wort. First sip is herbal hops, touch of pilsner malt, and a hint of wort. Lingering bitterness from the hops, a bit of mineral floating in the after taste as well. Mouthfeel is slick, but refreshing. Overall it's a pils, and better than some normal versions I've had. Paired it up with new york style pizza and being able to drive my kids around this afternoon.
    [​IMG]

10. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,862) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Ok, my final low alcohol beer (unless I get inspired to buy more) is an Athletic IPA - Run Wild. I mentioned above that I am not expecting to like this, fearing that non-alcoholic IPAs just don't work for me. I also noted there's a N/A-like attribute that some are maybe noting as wort-like. I think it's a little worse than that - it's a more acidic, bitter version of spent grain, which has a certain funkiness to it not exactly like lightly cooked cabbage, but tending in that direction.

And whatever it is and however you or I describe it, I could tell this beer had it as I poured the beer. I now have less hope to be pleasantly surprised by this, but let's see.
    [​IMG]

Weak hop tea with lightly toasted malts greets my nose along with the aforementioned impressions. The lightly hazed body has a nice head atop it. The entirety of that top doesn't drop in full along with the liquid that supports it. It is pretty thin, leaning towards watery, with a prickly carbonation that pairs with a light bitter bite.

And that liquid is not something I'm really enjoying that much. It is unfortunately on par with my expectations, and quite similar to the nose. I will say the hops don't seem as stale as I have experienced in other N/A IPAs; there's a decent pine that lingers in the fairly long, dry finish. However, this beer hits that hump where the bitterness is missing a foil, and that disconnect rides underneath the pine to the end.

So, of the three beers I've tried, I will likely buy All Out again. I wouldn't mind O'Doul's if it were my only option in a designated driver role or similar. I would probably skip Run Wild in most cases.

11. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,479) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Thanks to @elNopalero for starting and guiding this tasting.

I've got 6 NA beers to explore so I'm doing three today and then three tomorrow. I've only been experimenting with NA beers for the past 4-6 weeks, and that means that I've purchased four 4-packs or 6-packs and am using the last one in each pack for this tasting. One beer today (Two Roots New West IPA) and one tomorrow (Athletic Run Wild IPA) are new to me and were purchased as singles. All of the beers were bought warm off the shelf, and all tend to be old per dates on the cans, so my notes need to reflect some aging effects. So let's get along with it.

[​IMG]
    Liquid Rain IPA, a collab. by Wellbeing and 4 Hands. The can uses a Julian date that I decipher to be 5/18/21, so it's a bit old. An aggressive pour gets a nice head, but is disappears quickly to a small residual amount. The can was slightly over-carbed.) The beer is slightly hazy. It is touted on the can as brewed with El Dorado hops, so I presume a single-hop recipe. I checked a taste chart to see what to expect with El Dorado and see that it is described as 'candy-like' and 'tropical fruit' in aroma and taste. I get a strong peach with some apricot in the background for both the aroma and taste, too fruity for an IPA (for me). Dull the peach and you'd have thee start of a nice fruity Saison. The beer goes flat and loses flavor as it warms. Since this is a collaboration beer it may be a one-shot beer, but if I see it again I wouldn't buy it. I gave a BA rating of 3.63.

[​IMG]
    Athletic Brewing All Out Extra Dark Brew. Can is dated 9/13/21. An aggressive pour gives a good head, but is disappears very quickly, and the beer loses its carbonation fairly quickly too. It was flat before I finished it. The beer has a clear dark appearance. The aroma and taste are the same – roasted grain. It strikes me as roasted grain juice, thus a thin mouthfeel. (Or a schwarzbier to use a style name as others in this thread have suggested, although to me this one is watered-down.) The taste become a little bit sour/bitter when it warms. I gave a BA rating of 3.0 to this one.

[​IMG]
    Two Roots Brewing New West IPA. The can has a 'Best By' date of 1/28/22 so I don't know how old it is. I gave it an aggressive pour and got a nice head. However, it disappeared fairly quickly to a residual layer on top of the beer. The aggressive pour probably stirred sediment because I got a lot of small floaties in the beer. Consequently I marked my BA rating down a bit for this. The aroma and taste were the same – a piney character that didn't seem old, but was not a lively fresh either. (The taste may have been a little pasty because of the floaties.) I detected a little bit of a wort aroma too. The mouthfeel was normal for an IPA. I'm guessing that with the Best By date of 1/28/22 that this one is past prime. My BA rating is 3.49 and I'd probably buy this one again if I find it fresher.

Finally, all good 'scientific' studies need a control specimen for comparison for accuracy purposes. I chose this one because I just bought it yesterday and need to satisfy my craving and can't wait another day. So what if it's a poor representative to its comparison beers! :grin:
    [​IMG]

12. MNAle

Society

Yeah, that was the concern I expressed over in the planning thread when I first posited this NA:normal side-by-side idea.

Rather than which is the better beer (as I said, likely foregone conclusion), I tried to approach the side-by-side from the perspective of similarities and differences

I'll have an even bigger challenge WRT objectivity with what I have on deck for later today...

AlcahueteJ, ChicagoJ, IKR and 6 others like this.
  13. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (5,013) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

Now up Brooke Special Effects Hoppy Amber, Brooklyn is always a solid brewery and they seem to be doing a great job with nonalcoholic beers.
    3.88/5 rDev +9.3%
    look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12 oz can poured into a pint glass

A- A clear golden amber with a small white head.

S- Wheat, honey, tea, earth, touch of citrus.

T- Wheat, toasted sweet bread, earth, some citrus, herbal tea.

M- Smooth, light to medium body, high carbonation.

O- Honestly this is a tasty amber and easy to drink. Flavors a slightly on the lighter side but still well done.
    [​IMG]
    Cheers!

14. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (14,107) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Two Roots Enough Said Helles, 0.5% ABV. Pours slightly hazy golden with a 1.5 finger white head that left decent lacing. Nose is yeasty bread. Taste follows, slightly sweet, slightly bitter. A bit overcarbonated. Overall excellent.

3.99/5 rDev +1.5%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Figured I might need a reverse-chaser (oh hell no, not a boilermaker). Actually the Enough Said stands well on its own. It won't make me give up alcohol beers, but when I eventually am told to, at least there are viable alternatives. I have a Lagunitas NAIPA to try after this.

[​IMG]

AlcahueteJ, ChicagoJ, JMN44 and 18 others like this.
  15. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (4,367) Oct 14, 2009 California
    Society Trader

HOPSLAM! and super fresh! I think that’s a fair trade off!

ChicagoJ, IKR, eppCOS and 3 others like this.
  16. elNopalero

Society Trader

That’s quite a reverse-chaser. And I thought @PapaGoose03 was going to an extreme with the Hopslam.

ChicagoJ, eppCOS, PapaGoose03 and 7 others like this.
  17. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,381) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

[​IMG]

"Amber Near Beer," introduced in June of 2021. Poured into my tall Becher.

L -- Clear, deep copper-amber with a dense, off-white head that holds up well and leaves great lacing. 4.25

S -- Mellow herbal hops, light DMS back. Touch of cereal grain. 4.0

T -- Light caramel malt and cereal grain up front -- nearly folds into the typical NA wortiness flavor, but spicy and lightly bitter hops cut it off. Finish has some light diacetyl with the graininess and herbal hops in the aftertaste. 4.0

M -- Body is light-medium with a soft to crisp mouthfeel. 4.0

O -- This gets high marks for an NA beer and would probably only lose minimal points against other Amber Lagers. The key is to not drink it too cold, temp creates a harsh effect within all the flavor characters. 4.25

18. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (14,107) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Lagunitas IPNA NAIPA, 0.5% ABV. Pours golden, with a two-finger foamy white head that left great lacing. Nose is malty and light fruit, taste follow, slight sweetness, even less bitterness. Would never have guessed it's an IPA. Or a beer. Light on carbonation, overall good.

3.59/5 rDev +15.1%
    look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Damn, this is the one that needed a reverse-chaser. This is inoffensive, but also not much nose or taste. Certainly not an IPA. It's been a few years since I rated a beer this low.

[​IMG]

19. GlenFarclas

GlenFarclas Initiate (85) Oct 1, 2021 Connecticut

Will be joining today with another another Athletic, Lost in the Redwoods. Which is a hoppy amber/red. I'm baffled at the color different between the multiple "hoppy ambers" from Sam Adams.

[​IMG]

This one is in fact quite bitter. Really lingers on it. The brewery notes a caramel backbone with a blend of Chinook and Centennial. The stickiness of centennial is very evident and that's the prevailing characteristic. Certainly carries a lot of caramel and pure malt sugar. The malt isn't particularly sweet. I find say Founder's centennial or even Dale's Pale have a big sweet note in their reddish malt body which lingers, this doesn't have that. I kind of miss it here. It's certainly bitter and drinks really easily. I think if this were leaded it would be around 6% (whatever that statement means)

A note on IPAs. Reviews for lo-cal or low carb IPA options are so often positive, probably because they're considered for what they are. I tend to think of these NA IPAs as version of those light/session IPAs. Interesting cos I would take this ahead of several true session IPAs.

Last I had Run Wild (canned 12/29 and drank a week later) it distinctly reminded me of SNPA. I have a feeling that something about the absence of alcohol affects the stability of the product. Who knows, that's what tastings are for, I suppose.

Cheers!

20. tigg924

tigg924 Poo-Bah (6,861) Apr 30, 2008 Massachusetts
    Society

Happy Saturday all. Starting my night with a favorite: One for the Road No Regrets Marzen. I actually prefer this to several Marzens with alcohol. All of the bready goodness I expect and nice crisp lager taste. This is in my top two NA beers.

21. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (5,013) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

Athletic All Out seems to be a fairly popular NA beer and opening one I can see why.
    3.99/5 rDev +10.2%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12 oz can poured into a pint glass

A- Black with a two finger mocha head

S- Roasted malts, somewhat nutty, chocolate, hints of cinnamon.

T- Roasted malts, bitter chocolate, a little nutty, touch of cinnamon.

M- Smooth, light to medium body.

O- An impressive nonalcoholic stout, easy to drink.
    [​IMG]
    Cheers!
    [​IMG]

22. GlenFarclas

GlenFarclas Initiate (85) Oct 1, 2021 Connecticut

That last one went down nicely, I think the sharp bitter finish caused that. Fortunately, I still have my wits about me haha.

Onto another then. The Brut IPA from Athletic. Suppose this will be useful for anyone considering their more limited offerings, perhaps a few of these will be covered then.

Context would be that I only had a handful of the brut IPAs and I'm 99% sure that the majority of them were the Ommegang which I thought was excellent. May've had a Stone too.

[​IMG]

Pours a nice straw color, mild haze which recedes quickly - it looks like your classic IPA. Nose is very intense, lots of stone fruit, from apricot to mango to sort of funkier, woodier fruits. Like the pithy white on lemon rind.

Tastes great, does the trick. It's super punchy up front, long finish of hop bitterness that never goes anywhere. I imagine NA beer bros talking about how they're OG and referencing this as a real hop bomb in a few years time haha.

The body is medium but a lot of that is the sort of vibrant carbonation. Really begs for another sip. Throughout, the primary fruity, citrusy notes are balanced against wood. Like mossy, woodsy malt character. It reminds me of smelling the core of like mesquite or cherry or hickory and there's that raw kind of sweet woody note. You almost want to take a bite out of it.

Really impressed and happy I grabbed it.

23. timobkg

timobkg Aspirant (276) Aug 24, 2006 New Jersey

The one NA coffee porter/stout I've seen around here has 35mg of caffeine, while an equal amount of coffee would have 120-250mg of caffeine depending on the preparation, so that's one difference. I also find black coffee much more bitter - I'm happy drinking coffee beers, but black coffee is a bit much, so I prefer my coffee with a bit of milk and sugar.

Whyteboar, IKR, FBarber and 5 others like this.
  24. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Poo-Bah (2,699) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Athletic brewery all out
    For the most part I agree with @larryi86 .
    But I also agree that its very similar to a schwarzbier[​IMG]

25. BillAfromSoCal

BillAfromSoCal Devotee (467) Aug 24, 2020 California

For numero dos, Athletic Brewing's Pilot Program beer "Dave's American Dark Malt. 120 cals, 16 gm carbs. Website says it is inspired by porter.
    Pours deep brown, nearly black, with light brown/dark tan head about 1.5 fingers high. Pretty loose assemblage of large-ish bubbles so the head dies off fairly quickly to a thin film and isolated islands of thicker suds. Leaves little or no lacing. Smells and taste the same; some milk chocolate dominating with lesser hints of some coffee, maybe some malt balls. I actually like this one more than their All Out extra dark. This one has much less of that characteristic NA wort thing going on, even though I did not think AllOut had it to excess. Mouthfeel is nice, like a thin stout. Mild carbonation. Possibly my favorite NA dark. Too bad the availability is limited, but it is available on the website.
    [​IMG]

26. BillAfromSoCal

BillAfromSoCal Devotee (467) Aug 24, 2020 California

Note to all, I just saw that Athletic's Sunset Stoke red IPA, which I like quite a bit, is available on the shelf at BevMo, at least the one near me. It has a BA average of 4.02 for 8 ratings pDev 9.2. I liked the result of the Simcoe and Mosaic hops and gave it a 4.45 when I had it. This was my review in Nov.: Canned on 10-something-2021 and then chilled and consumed from a modified perfect pint glass on 11/4/21. Pours a beautiful deep burnt orange/amber color that matches the description as a "red IPA", topped buy a relatively dense, firm, near-white head of good longevity that leaves nice lacing. It looks beautiful. Smell includes a fruity/malty mix that is less hoppy than a non-red IPA but still fruity. Taste follows nose. Nice roasted malts but enough hop bitterness to remind you that this is a IPA. The fruit is a little citrus, a little stone fruit. Medium body mouthfeel that is less "thin" than many other NA offerings. Overall probably my favorite NA IPA...and only 85 calories.

27. elNopalero

Society Trader

Here’s a question for this weekend, and maybe to get revisited in the NA thread later on—
    Anyone see craft NA selections available at your local beer bar or brewery?

AlcahueteJ, ChicagoJ, IKR and 4 others like this.
  28. snaotheus

snaotheus Poo-Bah (5,930) Oct 6, 2008 Washington
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    One of the few non-alcoholic beers I've ever had, and one of the few I've actually enjoyed. Although, I think NA beers might be better if you don't drink any regular beers the same day. Having this after a really good pilsner makes this seem much less impressive.

Anyway, Athletic's Upside Dawn Golden Ale. Citrusy / lemony, moderate bitter finish, it's almost like a grainy lemon-lime soda that isn't oversweetened. I like it.

29. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (5,261) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Oof. Beer bar or brewery? No, not to my knowledge, but I visit these places to drink beers I'm after. I generally don't pop in unless I see something of interest on the draft list.

That said, a lot of local restaurants carry quality NA. I was at a well regarded restaurant a year or two ago, and they had a few each of Athletic and WellBeing beers to choose among. Pretty neat considering they only had ~6 drafts otherwise.

AlcahueteJ, ChicagoJ, IKR and 7 others like this.
  30. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

Good evening everyone - Im taking a break from the craft NA offerings to try some of the imported NA offerings. First up is Heineken 0.0

[​IMG]

Pours a crystal clear golden color. Rather effervescent with the bubbles feeding a thin sudsy white head. Aroma is slightly skunky with some, light malty notes with some light sweetness. What I think is most impressive is this smells exactly like a Heineken - I'm not sure I could tell the difference blind.

Taste is similar - sweet malts, slight skunk, a hint of hops - tastes just like a regular Heineken. Feel is light, crisp, easy drinking. Bright carbonation.

Overall, I dont have much to say about this one other than for a NA beer it tastes just like a Heineken. You can crack your jokes about that, but if someone was looking for an NA alternative to the regular beer, I am not sure you can do much better getting the same smell/taste/feel out of it than Heineken did here.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25 = 4.07 (rDev +42.3%)

31. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

Next up is Beck's Non-Alcoholic.

[​IMG]

Pours a crystal clear golden color. Thick 3-4 finger sudsy white head forms on the beer before dissipating. Thin layer of velvety foam remains on the top of the beer. Aroma has notes of sweet grains, a slight skunkiness, light herbal hops. Again, its very reminiscent of a Beck's.

Taste follows the nose with notes of sweet grainy malts, a moderate skunkiness that becomes more pronounced as it warms up. There is a very light wortiness to the profile, but its very subtle. Feel is light, crisp, easy drinking. Bright carbonation.

This is a solid NA version of the regular beer. Maybe this is tinged by me preferring Heineken to Beck's, but I preferred the heineken NA to this one.

look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5 = 3.63 (rDev +43.5%)

32. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

Quiet around here tonight ...

Next up is St. Pauli N.A.

[​IMG]

This one pours a crystal clear golden color. Thinner, one finger, velvety white head. Average retention. Aroma is skunky, sweet grain, slight honey, and some grassy hops.

Taste follows the nose with strong notes of sweet malty grains, dried hay, grassy hops. It is quite skunked, which should not be surprising since it is in a green bottle.Still its skunked enough that it is actively distracting. Feel is light, crisp, moderate carbonation.

Overall this one is ok. It is too skunked to really enjoy, but seems to do a solid job capturing the essence of the regular version.

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75 = 2.87 (rDev +21.1%)

33. elNopalero

Society Trader

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one’s for @tigg924.

Atmos Wayfinder

No date stamp on this can, or the others. I did have one earlier and I thought I saw a bottle code on it, but it’s out with the recycling now. I’ll loop back to this shortly.

This is a foam bomb! I cracked open the can and it started to foam up. First pour was all foam as well. It’s not like I haven’t had this experience before, but this Wayfinder is listed as a NA IPA, not an alcohol free Orval.
    So, the slow pour and some patience, and eventually I emptied the can.

The beer itself has a good deal of sediment, and I’m wondering if this has anything to do with its volatility. Great head retention, as the second photo shows, although the foam itself has a gloppy, less than appealing tan-tinged appearance.

It could be the (unknown) age on this, but the aroma falls squarely into the spent grain/worty category. I am straining for any hoppiness on the nose. The sip follows, although there is a bitterness on the end.
    Ultimately, and unfortunately, this isn’t clicking with me tonight.

@tigg924 With any luck I’ll come across their NADIPA, albeit a little fresher!

In honor of our NA-theme, I am pairing tonight’s tastings with NAchos. Late night Nacho Advocate, provecho!

[​IMG]

34. MNAle

Society

My A / NA pairing for today.

[​IMG]

After the first sip, I decided to not do an actual side-by-side, but rather a one-after-the-other. These beers are just too different. So, the Pot De Creme sat, warmed, and waited until I had finished the NA beer.

The late posting is because I lingered over both, but especially over the Pot De Creme.

First in line:

Untitled Art Non-Alcoholic Chocolate Milk Stout
    ABV: >0.5%
    IBU: NA

The NA is a beautiful-looking stout. Tall, light tan, creamy, very long-lasting head. Dark, impenetrable body. Brownish edges with a backlight. Very attractive tall lacing that is actually "lacy".

Aroma of the NA is sweet powdered chocolate milk - think Nestles. That's it. That's all I get.

The NA flavor is decidedly less dominated by the chocolate than the aroma. The chocolate is there, but not so in-your-face N-E-S-T-L-E-S Chaaaawlet as the aroma. There is a bitterness that exists from the initial taste and maintains through to the aftertaste; it's not too strongly bitter, and the bitterness is from the malts, not the hops. There is a bit of a floral tinge to the flavor as well. All-in-all, not a particularly attractively tasting stout.

The body is on the thin side, with some moderate mouth feel perhaps from the milk/lactose.

Overall, not a beer I would want to stock up on, but I won't have any issue consuming the remainder of the 6 pack. As a stout, it lacks character with a not very beer-like flavor. @ChicagoJ said it best: "Meh". As a stout, its body is on the Guinness end of the scale, not at all watery, which is a good job by UA for a NA beer. If only they could work on the flavor a bit.

L: 4.5 | S: 3.5 | T: 3.0 | F: 3.5 | O: 3.25 | Rating: 3.26

Untitled Art / 3 Sons Mexican Chocolate Pot De Creme Imperial Stout
    ABV: 11.9%
    IBU: NA

The Pot De Creme has a similar dark, impenetrable body, but a very short head that disappears quickly with no lacing. (The picture is perhaps 10-15 seconds after the pour.)

The Pot De Creme aroma is chocolate, sure, but also nutty, vanilla, and caramel. More chocolate nougat than Nestles.

The taste has alcohol warmth leading a relatively complex interaction of cocoa, vanilla, and spices. The alcohol warmth stays throughout eventually warming the back of my throat. This is a big beer that keeps reminding me that it is a big beer. Mildly better in the middle, with a relatively sweet finish, but (despite the name) not sweet as in a dessert beer, but more sweet like bittersweet chocolate.

The body is substantial, but not viscous.

Overall, an excellent adjunk Imperial Stout. All of the flavoring additives are handled deftly, allowing none to get out-of-control dominant; they combine and interweave nicely into the overall flavor. Strong alcohol flavor and warmth throughout.

L: 4.0 | S: 4.25 | T: 4.25 | F: 3.75 | O: 4.25 | Rating: 4.19

35. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Poo-Bah (2,699) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Athletic brewery upside dawn golden
    ...semi clear gold appearance
    ....medium carbonation, body is close to medium.
    ...aroma is malt,cereal, grain, slight citrus fruit and peel. Has a honey sugary scent as well.
    ....taste is mild sweetness followed by a sour grain that lingers. Malt,earthy floral honey and cereal.
    ...overall I have to say this was really good,one I would get again.[​IMG]

36. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

Next up is Clausthaler - Original Non-Alcoholic

[​IMG]

Pours a crystal clear golden color. Two finger white head. Head collapses on itself leaving lots of sticky lacing. Aroma has notes of sweet grainy malts, hay, grassy hops, light sweet honey notes, and a subtle honey character.

Taste follows the nose with notes of lightly toasted bready malts, sweet grains, some light hay, lightly spicy grassy hops. Wow, this actually has a quite nice flavor to it. Feel is light and crisp. Moderate carbonation. Semi-dry finish.

Overall this is a nice NA beer. Exhibits a bit more malt character and depth than some of these other NA Imports. I would definitely drink this one again.

look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4 - 4.06 (rDev +39.5%)

37. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

Last one for tonight - Clausthaler - Dry Hopped

[​IMG]

Pours a moderately cloudy dark amber color. Three finger off-white head forms on the beer before dissipating. Aroma has notes of pine, light citrus and some caramel malts and grain.

Taste follows the nose with notes of pine, light citrus, caramel malts, light grain, hints of breadiness. It has a slight watery character, but it is not bad or distracting. Has some nice flavor to it. Feel is medium bodied and smooth. Moderate carbonation. Semi-dry on the finish.

Overall another solid NA Import. I am actually pretty impressed with the options out there.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5 = 3.53 (rDev +3.2%)

38. elNopalero

Society Trader

Second and final NA beer of the night for me. Two strikes and I’m out.

Ceria Indie Wave

Born on 10/26/21

Like the Atmos I had earlier, this had an impressive foamy crown. The pour is slightly darker than I’d expect for an IPA, more amber tan.

This smells remarkably similar to the previous NAIPA I tried tonight, all wort no hops. There’s a floral note that’s not entirely unwelcome but it doesn’t contribute much, either. The sip hits with a thud. Flat, almost like cardboard water, some bitterness on the end.

[​IMG]

Something I’ve been thinking about after tonight’s beers is how similar these flavor profiles are, from two completely different breweries. They both remind me of how I remember Lagunitas NAIPA, generally, too.

39. beer_beer

beer_beer Zealot (596) Feb 13, 2018 Finland
    Society

Lasso Zero. Lager style, brewed in Belgium and branded here. The only beer costing below one euro for a single, so not much "craft" expected.

Smells some pine. Tastes malt, not much hops. Light bodied, and light overall. Pretty good for thirst!

[​IMG]

40. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,238) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

Three Magnets Self Care Freak Flag IPA

0.17% Waimea, Moutere, Pekko hops, Skagit Valley Malting malt (unspecified type)

Pretty decent head, though it fades quickly. Suitably murky. Aroma is tropical and oranges. The first sip puts on a good show of full mouthfeel, but over the course of the pint it sorta hollows out and reveals that it's an NA beer; still a pretty good attempt. Taste follows the nose with juicy pineapple/orange/white grape; the sweetness is held in check by healthy bitterness. Despite the head receding quickly and little detectable action in the glass, the carbonation is prickly and combines with the bitterness for a snappy finish. On par with my current top NA beer, UA Juicy IPA. 4.5/5

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.