Online Tasting: Non-Alcoholic Beers (Jan 14-17)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by elNopalero, Jan 14, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GlenFarclas

GlenFarclas Initiate (85) Oct 1, 2021 Connecticut

Frigid Sunday morning here. Not sure if I'll need to head out to the grocery store later so an NA to welcome in the morning. Stump Jump by athletic, an Autumn Brown, albeit this is canned 12/21/21 so perhaps it'll be a year round offering?

This is quite cold, so I'll let it warm up but for now. Drinks medium bodied with a nice pillowy tan head. Slightly acidic in the middle, like the lemony note in Kenyan coffee, finish is amber malt, caramalt, some sweet toffee, maybe a hint of vanilla. There's a dark fruit characteristic, like you'd get in a Baltic porter, especially the European styles, like zywiec.

[​IMG]

These are the warm-up notes after say 15 minutes in the sunlight: brings out a little black tea/early grey, more malt, vanilla fades back and the dark fruit comes through more. Sweetness fades too which wasn't expected. All in all very enjoyable beer, definitely more rounded at a warmer temp. Cheers and have a good day.

2. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,862) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

I’ll be honest, I didn’t expect this to work. And I guess I must say it ultimately didn’t. But the O’Doul’s near nothingness did dilute the flavors that didn’t sit well with me in Run Wild.
    [​IMG]
    The mix is about 4oz Run Wild to 10 or so O’Doul’s.

The pine still comes through in the end, though it’s lighter. There’s still a bit of what I’ve been calling that NA flavor, but it too is less distinct - it almost seem like it got stretched out, diminishing its effect.

Drinking 3 O’Doul’s to finish off each Run Wild isn’t very efficient and I don’t think I have any regular beers I might want to experiment with. Luckily the GF is available to help.

3. IKR

IKR Savant (902) May 25, 2010 California
    Trader

For the ones I visit that would be a no unfortunately. In my younger days I stupidly pushed the boundaries of drinking and driving but I'm very good with keeping things under control now. N/A options would likely increase my spending and time spent at my haunts if they were available.

4. GlenFarclas

Dunkelweizen by Athletic

Looks a good dark copper, hazy but nicely polished. I've let this one warm up nicely (the pantry gets really cold in winter and that's where I keep the "fridge" beers).

The reddish, copper color is quite confusing here haha. Nice beer though. It's malty throughout, mouthfeel is medium but softer than the brown I had earlier. Nose is distinctly a blend of rich malt sugar and some light spicy almost rye like notes. Then leads into soft, vanilla and banana, almost like porridge/cereal. Finishes sweet but mildly so. Tasty beer.

No complaints here. Best thing about it is the mouthfeel, really has the hefe, yeasty, wheat body and then chocolate, caramalt bolstering it.

[​IMG]

5. beer_beer

beer_beer Zealot (597) Feb 13, 2018 Finland
    Society

As an NA "veteran" I greatly thank you all for these excellent reviews, with hopefully even more to come. NA going from accepted to embraced, will always remember this moment in time!

6. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (5,261) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

It's been noted that TTB regulations keep NA beer from being titled after a beer style. Personally, I despise this, as the style gives some indication of what the brew will entail. As long as it's clearly labeled non-alcoholic, then the style label helps the consumer better understand what they are purchasing. This particular beer is a "fireside brew", and comes off just as strange as the name suggests.

[​IMG]

Athletic's Lodge Life.

Pours a near black, showing dark brown hues around the very edges of the glass. Head is two fingers of dense khaki foam. Aroma is caramel, toffee, brown sugar, and potpourri. It smells like a candle store in the mall, heavy on the sugary notes. The density of the sugary notes keeps any wort smell from leaking onto the nose, a common note amongst NA beers. Flavor profile is similar, hitting notes of potpourri, brown sugar, black tea, toffee, caramel, and molasses. It's sugar forward, with some late balance via toasty, bready malts. Flavor profile is notably less sugar forward than the nose. Mouth feel is medium in thickness with a soft, creamy texture. Overall, this is just sweet and heavy enough, it would make for a pleasant fireside sipper, or something to down in the lodge between ski runs. It lacks a firm direction as far as beer style goes though.

Score: 4.5 | 3.75 | 4 | 4.25 | 3.75 | BA score: 3.95 | rDev: N/A

Perhaps I'm being a bit harsh on this one. It's definitely got a good presence to it, similar to fresh All Out, but leads a little sugary sweet. Perhaps something I would've avoided if labeled more plainly.

7. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,348) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Whereas my pairing yesterday was forced (and, hence, resulted in my dropping the side-by-side and instead going with a one-after-the-other approach), this triple will remain as a side-by-side-by-side regardless of how these beers stack up.

With their branding and logotype (even Daytime - look at the "IPA" font on the can:[​IMG]
    clearly, Lagunitas wants us to associate these with their full-strength IPA. So, I will.

My approach with this particular tasting is from the perspective of "how close" for both IPNA and Daytime. I don't seriously expect either to get all that close to the flagship IPA, but I do hope they at least maintain some semblance of being a West Coast substyle IPA.

Lagunitas: IPNA - Daytime - IPA
    [​IMG]
    Lagunitas IPNA Non-Alcoholic IPA
    ABV: less than 0.5%
    IBU: 28.32

Good look. Clear deep amber with a short white head. Not much retention, though. No lacing.

Aroma is a bit of pine, and bit of melon, slight citrus. Not bad.

IPA-level bittering on the first sip. Pine and citrus flavors, but then things start to fall apart. Oddly, it has more malt flavors than the Daytime, but they are of the NA variety. Somewhat off of actual beer flavors, but not to the full cooked grains flavors some NA beers have. The bittering fades into the middle and is largely gone by the finish. The finish is dry, but a bit nondescript.

Surprisingly, the mouth feel is moderate-thin with decent carbonation. IOW, more body than Daytime.

Overall, not too bad if you want some IPA-like characteristics without the alcohol, but not all that great, either.

L: 3.75 | S: 3.75 | T: 3.25 | F: 3.5 | O: 3.5 | Rating: 3.48

Lagunitas Daytime IPA
    ABV: 4.0%
    IBU: 42

Pale yellow, relatively tall white head with good retention and lots of sticky lacing.

Aroma is somewhat indistinct, but with elements of "IPA-ness" citrus, perhaps faint fine.

Flavor is typical of session IPAs. The hops flavors and bittering are present, but the malt flavors are largely absent. The middle retains the hop flavors of citrus, not much pine, with just a hint of malts in there somewhere. The finish is citrus, slightly bitter, with this being retained into the aftertaste. A nice crisp finish. OK as a light summer beer.

The thinnest body of the three, more of a tea character.

Overall, not a bad session IPA; not a great one, either.

L: 3.75 | S: 3.5 | T: 3.25 | F:3.25 | O: 3.5 | Rating: 3.39

Lagunitas IPA
    ABV: 6.2%
    IBU: 51.5
    Look is almost identical to the IPNA. Clear deep amber with a short white head. Better retention than IPNA, with spotty bubbles of lacing.

Aroma is strong; citrus, melon, orange, pine.

The initial sip is strongly bitter, with citrus, melon, and pine. In the middle, bready malts join the party with a will-balanced interplay of citrus, pine, melon, and bread ("well-balanced" in a WCIPA sort of way, of course - which means hops dominate in both flavor and bitterness). The finish is dry and the aftertaste is quite bitter.

Body is IPA-typical (moderate-thin) with good carbonation.

Overall, as always, an excellent WCIPA.

L: 4.0 | S: 4.25 | T: 4.5 | F: 3.75 | O: 4.25 | Rating: 4.29

Summary of the 3-way side-by-side. The IPA is clearly the best of the three, no surprise. That I liked the IPNA better than Daytime is somewhat of a surprise, although both are OK if you're wanting a hop hit with less alcohol.

PS: Look at those IBU numbers. I think Lagunitas is having a bit of fun with the data geeks (like me).

#127 MNAle, Jan 16, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  8. snaotheus

snaotheus Poo-Bah (5,930) Oct 6, 2008 Washington
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Fuzzy Hat by Self Care. Cross posted with more words over in NBW.

Overall...it's not bad. I'm starting to recognize an odd flavor in NA beers that I don't see much in regular beers, but I don't know what it is or how to describe it. It's kind of vegetal.

9. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (5,013) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

One last beer for this thread, DFH Lemon Quest. This comes off a little more gose like than a wheat ale and I’m enjoying it.
    4.01/5 rDev -0.7%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz can poured into a pint glass

A- A hazy golden straw with a small white head.

S- Lemons, wheat, some herbal tea, hints of blueberries. Honestly kinds of smells like an Arnold Palmer in the best way.

T- Lemons, tart, wheat, some herbal tea, a little earth, touch of blueberries. Again very Arnold Palmer like.

M- Smooth light body.

O- Heavy in the lemons, but still a tasty nonalcoholic beer.
    [​IMG]
    Cheers!

10. GlenFarclas

All right, this is the schwarzbier. Looks the part, tan colored head, tight bubbles, not much indication of carbonation. Nose is roasted malt, bitter pithy lemon, wood smoke, and a hint of caramel. Taste's like a classic German schwarzbier with an emphasis on the smoke. Body is nice and full, not a stout way but full for a lagered beer. Big mix of roast malt sugar, burnt brown sugar and some candied apple. Then into smoke, but specifically wood smoke, coffee notes come through as well. This is really tasty. Perhaps a smidge more carbonation than I'm used to for the style but the mouthfeel supports it because it's quite hefty.

Nice beer. I hope all the athletic is useful for anyone considering picking anything up from their website directly. There are plenty to choose from so hopefully the odd review here and there helps in future.

I wonder if some of us have an almost genetic response to NA, kind of like those persons who perceive cilantro to be soapy. If so, I'm definitely not one of those persons cos I don't find many NA beers that I dislike.

[​IMG]

11. BillAfromSoCal

BillAfromSoCal Devotee (469) Aug 24, 2020 California

NA #3 for this weekend: Athletic's Pilot Program Single Hop IPA. (Comet hops). 70 cal, 16 gm carbs, 50 IBU. Can dated 10/26. In my review of this on 11/28 when the beer was somewhat fresher, I said this:
    "12 oz can poured into a modified perfect pint glass. Pours a slightly hazy very pale yellow with fluffy 2 finger head that dies down to leave a thin film of fine bubbles with islands of sudsy head. Not a lot of scent coming off the beer. Sort of grassy with very subtle orange or tangerine overtones. Same with the taste. Not much bitterness at all for an IPA. Mouthfeel body on the lighter side of average. Same with the carbonation. I personally don't feel this is one of the better examples of Athletic's IPA abilities."

Appearance is still the same today but getting more lacing than I remembered. To me the flavor is a bit more in the pineapple/citrus range now that what I recall. Don't know if it is the difference in glass shape or the age of the beer, or both. I like this more than I did, although it is still something more like what I would grab after a day in the hot sun doing yard work than an IPA style that I would grab to linger over and sip on. This one is a guzzler, not a sipper. Light and very easy to drink.
    [​IMG]

AlcahueteJ, ChicagoJ, eppCOS and 15 others like this.
  12. BillAfromSoCal

Last night I had some excellent Thai food at a place that actually had about 8-10 craft beers (plus the typical Asian beers) in about 5 different styles and they did have a Becks NA, not that I call Becks NA a "craft NA". One other place I have been was beer-centric with good food and they did have a couple craft NA beers but not very good ones. I did go out of my way to tell the manager I appreciated his stocking some craft NA and I recommended that he consider a couple different ones.

13. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,479) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Today I have an additional 3 beers for this tasting. Two of them are beers that I've been drinking over the past 6 weeks, and one is new to me today. All three are IPAs.

[​IMG]
    Athletic Run Wild IPA is the new one to me. It's dated 08/21/21 so it's a bit old. An aggressive pour produced a nice head, but it disappeared to just a residual covering of the beer within a few minutes. Lacing was left behind. There is only a light hop aroma that wasn't strong enough to give me a sense of what it was, but I'm guessing pine. There was kind of a vegetable smell along with fallen autumn leaves that really was masking the hop aroma. The taste was also a light hop flavor, but again the vegetable and autumn leaves came thru and and masked the hop aroma. Strangely, as this beer warmed it became decent tasting, but still was not what I was hoping for. I'm rating this one at a 3.5.

[​IMG]
    Athletic Sunset Stoke Red IPA Can is dated 10/07/21, so it's also a bit old. It gets a nice head with an aggressive pour, but it disappears to just a residual layer on the beer, leaving behind some lacing when it subsides. The aroma is of old cut grass and something like hemp, not very pleasant. A wort aroma was in the background. The taste was of old hops. This one didn't improve as it warmed. It's just too old to be enjoyed.

[​IMG]
    Wellbeing Intentional IPA is the beer that I've really enjoyed drinking over the past 6 weeks, so I bought another 4-pack that is fresher than to previous 4-pack, 11/23/21 vs. 10/08/21, (dates were translated from Julian dates on the cans) but it's not as good. Both came from the same store.

It gets a nice pillow-y head with an aggressive pour. The aroma is of old pine with a mild wort aroma in the background. The taste has the same hop flavor but no wort. This beer seems to be more balanced than the 5 others that I've review for this tasting, and seems more like a 'real' beer. The first 4-pack garnered a 4.0 rating from me, but this can from the second 4-pack is only going to get a 3.75.

The Wellbeing Intentional IPA the best of the 6 NA beers that I've tried, so I'm going to choose it as my regular NA beer going forward. I'll continue to try others too, and I'm especially looking to find a dark one that I like. This tasting thread should give me some guidance if I can find some of the good ones that have been mentioned.

Again thanks to @elNopalero for hosting this party. I had fun and learned a lot.

14. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Poo-Bah (2,699) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Santa clausthaler
    ...very clear amber appearance
    ...medium carbonation with around a medium body
    ..aroma is spice,brown sugar,malt, and a little floral
    ..taste is most definitely sweet almost soda sweet which is what this reminds me of. Theres spice,brown sugar,malt and maybe a little grain w
    ....unlike most na beer this wasn't sour or loaded with artificial flavor. BUT its more like spicy soda and I would like to try this in an alchohol version[​IMG]

15. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Poo-Bah (2,699) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Partake pale
    ..clear amber with little to no head
    ..medium carbonation with the body being just a bit watery
    ..aroma is grain, cereal, malt,some citrus peel and fruit,earthy yet mildly floral hops. Dare I say it smells like a real beer.
    ..taste is almost dry, bitter hops that dominate along with a bit of malt that feels like it coats the tongue.
    ..overall the aroma was by far the best quality but the taste was above average. Comparing it to na beers its a good choice when you wan a beer but maybe still working and can't have the alcohol [​IMG]

16. BillAfromSoCal

just my opinion, but this would have been way more fun if we could have included a zoom call somewhere in the weekend so that we could actually talk and compare notes instead of being glued to the keyboard..

17. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,862) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

I'd agree that Run Wild got better as it warmed. But I still rated it low because I rated it as a mix of low alcohol and IPA. I stuck more to the low alcohol side, though. And my logic is this:

If I am looking for a low alcohol beer, I first want something that tastes good and is fairly similar to any style of beer. And I have generally not really liked the flavors I get from N/A IPAs. Add to that I feel they are farther from "the real thing" than the other [admittedly limited] styles I've tried.

I am not arguing anyone else should believe, feel, or perceive things as I do, but in reading this thread, I have been interested seeing the reviews and ratings people are offering. Of course, that's the point of the threads and why I participate in them, but this one has been one of the most interesting, mainly because there have been a bunch of the same beer.

#137 cjgiant, Jan 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    ChicagoJ, Harrison8, IKR and 5 others like this.
  18. tigg924

tigg924 Poo-Bah (6,861) Apr 30, 2008 Massachusetts
    Society

Happy Sunday all. Having a Barrel Brothers Light Brew. Excellent no frills lager. Great cracker taste. ON a side note, I don't have any here but their Guava Punch is my favorite NA sour. Well worth seeking out.

ChicagoJ, Whyteboar, eppCOS and 8 others like this.
  19. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (10,080) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

Next up during this weekend of NA beer tastings…

Samuel Adams Just the Haze

A: Pours a hazy medium golden apricot in color with moderate amounts of fine active visible carbonation rising along the edges of the glass and moderate peach + pale golden yellow + burnt orange colored highlights. The beer has a three finger tall sudsy foamy beige head that reduces to a handful of small to medium sized patches of medium thick film surrounded by a large patch of thin film covering the remainder of the surface of the beer and a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Significant amounts of lacing are observed. 4.0

S: Slightly stronger than moderate aromas of juicy citrus/grapefruit + tropical/mango + stone fruit/peach hops over the top of light to moderate aromas of biscuit + pale + cereal grain malts with a light to moderate amount of honey-like sweetness. Light to moderate aromas of unfermented wort that is typical for NA beers. 3.75

T: Upfront there are light to moderate flavors of biscuit + pale + cereal grain malts with a light to moderate amount of honey-like sweetness. That is followed by slightly stronger than moderate flavors of juicy citrus/grapefruit + tropical/mango + stone fruit/peach hops which impart a minimal amount of bitterness which fades away quickly leaving light lingering citrus + tropical hops flavors. 4.0

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly crisp upfront with a light amount of soft/fluffiness mid-body. Slightly thin/watery. 4.0

O: Easy to drink with a pleasantly slightly crisp + soft/fluffy mouthfeel with just a little bit of the watery/thinness that I often associate with NA beers. Enjoyable with nice juicy hop flavors and aromas and the only noticeable NA portion of this beer is that unfermented wort aroma. 4.0

Probably the best NA NE-Style IPA I have tried to date.

20. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,238) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

Three Magnets Self Care Chalice of Wisdom

0.15% ABV, dry-hopped with Callista (no other hops listed), malts from Skagit Valley Malting and Mainstem Malts (types not specified)

[​IMG]

The third pale lager I've had from 3Mag, and they are definitely on to something here. All 3 have been less recognizable as NA than any of the IPAs I've tried, and they have showcased hops very well (man oh man, did the Saaz sing in their Bohemian Brew). This one, with fruity German Callista, has a very different balance with the slight sulfurousness than the noble hops of the other two but by the end of the pint my tastebuds had figured it out and wanted more.

Snappy, aromatic, and no tricks needed to get the body right (or the tricks they used were seamless). 4/5

21. BillAfromSoCal

This has been a great weekend of tasting, largely because others have thoroughly reviewed NA beers I have experience with and I can see how others describe what I am sometimes at a loss for words to describe, ans secondly because some participants have shared some beers I never knew existed. Thanks to all and especially to ElNopalero for organizing and kicking it off.

22. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (4,367) Oct 14, 2009 California
    Society Trader

Although I haven’t reviewed this one yet, I share your favorable assessment. It’s also the closest to the “actual thing” I’ve tried in terms of NA options.

23. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,348) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Samuel Adams Just the Haze and Wicked Hazy were on my short list for a side-by-side. I may still have to do that down the road sometime...

24. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (6,094) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

@elNopalero do you want to keep this one open through Monday?

ChicagoJ, eppCOS, elNopalero and 4 others like this.
  25. IKR

IKR Savant (902) May 25, 2010 California
    Trader

Figured I'd share this one because this and Smooth Ascent are the only N/A beers that really scratch that porter/stout itch for me. Both those beers have coffee added and when fresh I think it contributes to both of those beers having a real roast malt presence typical for stout/porter, a necessity for me. As a reference point, while I like Untitled Art's Chocolate Milk Stout and Athletic's All Out Dark I don't think of them as coming off as genuine porters/stouts especially All Out Dark. Reviewed this before but as I'm drinking this now I still find a decent roast malt presence and good chocolate notes in this one. Review is linked below but my scores are more in line with reviewing this as a porter overall, not an N/A beer. Taste notes still applicable for me. Cheers all!
    Pilot Program: First Ride | Athletic Brewing Co. | BeerAdvocate
    [​IMG]

26. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,028) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Grüvi has a tasting room open here in Denver, it's just down from my favorite pizza place so it's killer. Their sour Weiss has been my favorite NA beer, their pale ale is tasty as well.

27. elNopalero

Society Trader

Certainly!!! I’m game.

Whyteboar, eppCOS, Jaycase and 5 others like this.
  28. elNopalero

Society Trader

[​IMG]

First from tonight:
    Clausthaler dry hopped—picked up at Trader Joe’s last week.

From a bottle. Package date 27.05.2021, so this beer is OLD.

Pours the color of cardboard, with no foaming.

Aroma immediately hits—that worty barley grainy character.

The sip is similar, and familiar to so many other NA beers I’ve tried. A sweetish, lightly honeyed note rounds out the finish. I get some barely perceptible bitterness, although the hops have surely faded by now.

Freshness matters, and that seems to be the lesson of tonight so far.

And on that note, freshly baked pizza!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. elNopalero

Society Trader

Second for the evening.

Surreal Juicy Mavs Hazy IPA

Here’s one that I don’t think I’ve even seen mentioned on any of the NA threads.

Packaged 11/04/21, so within two and a half months. Label points out 25 calories and no sugar, for those interested—numbers similar to what I’ve seen from Partake. I think there’s a conversation around the processing that I’m curious about.

This puts a little murky, but given the plug of yeast I rinsed out of the fan things might have settled out over the past 10 weeks. That NA worty aroma is present, but it’s buried behind a bright, lemony note up front. There’s a Lemon Kool-Ade character on the sip, more sweet than I’d like but not terrible. And a nice contrast from the worty notes I’ve encountered elsewhere.

I’m not sure I would get this again, but I’d give some of their other offerings a try if I found them any fresher.

[​IMG]

30. elNopalero

Society Trader

I am down to my final NA selection—

[​IMG]

Sam Adams

Just The Haze

Best before March 2022

This is my first time formally reviewing this one. I’ll add that I haven’t bought anything from Sam Adams in along time.

I’ve generally thought favorably of this, and think it might be the best NA hazy that I’ve tried that doesn’t have the word Athletic in its name.

Pours a straw gold. Lemony hoppy note on the nose. Sip follows, tapering into a sweet mandarina lemon juicy note. Best of all—
    I don’t get the worty NA character on sip or smell. Yay!

This has been a blast—I can’t think of the last time I paid such close attention and sampled so many beers of the same style.

31. elNopalero

Society Trader

Final day for our tasting—nothing new on my end, just bumping the thread.

ChicagoJ, IKR, eppCOS and 4 others like this.
  32. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

Will be joining back in this evening to wrap up the tasting with the last few options I have on hand. Meant to do it last night but life got in the way.

IKR, eppCOS, elNopalero and 3 others like this.
  33. tigg924

Society

Having a Drop Bear New World Lager. Been meaning to pop this one for a while. This is excellent. Reminds me of the session lagers I had in the U. K. Plenty of early malts. My new favorite from the brewery.

ChicagoJ, Whyteboar, IKR and 9 others like this.
  34. PapaGoose03

Society

Well I'll bump this thread too. I had only two cans in the fridge of an NA beer that I had already reviewed above, so that meant a run to the store for something else. Here are reviews of two new-to-me beers.

[​IMG]
    Bravus Oatmeal Stout was the only dark one in the cooler that sounded good, so I chose it. A blob of blue ink is on the bottom of the can, but no date. None of the other cans in the 4-pack were dated either.

The beer produced a nice head with an aggressive pour, but quickly disappeared to a ring around the edge of the glass plus a small island of tiny bubbles in the liquid. The aroma was of roasted grain, a little different from the other dark NA beer that I reviewed above, so maybe the oats change the smell. The taste was similar. Mouthfeel was very thin, not like most stouts. By the time that I figured out these characteristics the beer was flat! But the taste was better than the Athletic All Out Extra Dark that I reviewed above. I'm giving this a BA rating of 3.0.

[​IMG]
    Sam Adams Just the Haze NA IPA A couple of favorable reviews above in this thread of this beer convinced me to look for and then buy it. The can is dated January 2022 so I assumed it was very fresh based on the fresh hop aroma that I got when pouring the beer. Alas, the side of the can says it's a best-by date! But that's okay because I enjoyed this one and will buy it on a regular basis.

It poured a very nice, pillow-y head with an aggressive pour, and it stuck around for a while until it lightly covered the entire top of the beer. The beer is hazy per its name. The initial aroma was fresh citrus while pouring, but the fresh character left town by the time I went to sniff the beer in the glass. It wasn't so fresh anymore, but was still a nice citrus aroma. It also had a tiny bit of a wort smell in the background. The taste was citrusy and I think it was old tangerine, but not bad at all. The beer had a proper mouthfeel for an IPA.

As I mentioned above, this one will be on my shopping list for future purchases.

35. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (8,204) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

36. elNopalero

Society Trader

Life… will find an IPA!

37. tigg924

Society

Closing the NA portion of my night with my favorite NA ipa, Two Roots Straight Drank. Loads of dank hops that hit wave upon wave Thank y'all for a great event.

38. elNopalero

Society Trader

Thanks for participating! As we start to wind this down I’m wondering how folks are ranking what they’ve tried over the weekend and throughout the year (for those who do). I’m out of new-to-me NA beers but I will be revisiting and ranking what I’ve had later on.

I’m drawing inspiration from the many Fresh/Wet hops, along with some of the super Oktoberfest beer reviewers, and thinking of these NA beers in tiers.

39. PapaGoose03

Society

I'm determined to keep a variety of NA beers in my fridge and make them 50% of my beer consumption to give my aging liver a break. :slight_smile: I'll continue to search for some that are better than the ones that I've reviewed in this thread (especially stout/dark options), but I can say I've got two IPAs on my 'good' list for now, and a couple others that I'd buy again if I can find them fresher than what I reviewed.

EDIT: Thanks to everyone who helped me get hooked and who contributed in this thread.

#159 PapaGoose03, Jan 18, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
  40. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

Evening all! Another big shoutout and thank you to @elNopalero for hosting this (long) weekend. For me this has been a tasting that has taken me outside of my comfort zone and as a result its been really interesting to review these beers. I've got a few lined up for tonight starting off with this Brooklyn Brewery - Special Effects Pils.

[​IMG]

Pours a crystal clear golden color. Slightly effervescent. Thick four finger head forms on the beer before collapsing in on itself. Aroma has notes of sweet bread, light grains, a slight wort-y aroma, and some light grassy hops.

Taste has notes of bready malts, grain and some light wort notes. Very watery - it essentially comes across tasting like malt water. Hops are subtle on the back end with just a hint of grassiness. Feel is light, medium bodied, and smooth. Light carbonation.

Overall this one is odd- its on the watery side, which should take away from it, but I am actually enjoying drinking it, so I guess it cancels out.

AlcahueteJ, ChicagoJ, jkblr and 11 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.