Only one bottle of Bourbon County Wheatwine. Drink it or age it?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by ernieb, Dec 4, 2018.

1. ernieb

ernieb Initiate (169) Jun 27, 2013 Illinois

So I managed 6 bottles of regular on Black Friday, but no variants. Then tonight I walked into a shop that just put a bottle of Wheatwine on the shelf. Apparently an employee reserved it and then decided he couldn’t afford it. Feel bad, might have offered to drink it together, but I was told to just go ahead and buy it.

Anyway, so with only one bottle, do I drink it or age it? I’ve got 21 other bottles of Bourbon County, including a 2013 Barkeywine, so I don’t mind aging it, just wondering how people think it will age.

2. zid

zid Savant (917) Feb 15, 2010 New York

1 bottle = drink it

3. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,587) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Trader

4. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,389) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

Drink it, why save it?

5. Invinciblejets

Invinciblejets Devotee (447) Sep 29, 2014 South Carolina
    Trader

Yup if you only got a bottle drink it.

6. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Meyvn (1,485) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Premium Trader

Great question. I have a couple bottles in my shelf I've been saving for no good reason other than I only have one. Do as I say, not as I do. Drink it!

7. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (386) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

If you age it you'd never know if it was better fresh. Drink it.

8. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,648) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Drink it fairly soon, but hold onto it for a while until a "special day" has surrounded you. But not "special" in the sense of a holiday or birthday, but "special" in the sense that it seems like the whole world might be going against you and nothing seems to go right. Then you pull out that bottle, sit back and even if you only drink part of it you sit back, relax and realize that "Yes" there still are some pretty nice things in the world. BTW, it also helps if you have a close friend who can join you for a bit so you can both share that goodness and make the world look more like the place it is--pretty nice is some ways, not so nice in others. You've found a way to make a not so nice day into a pretty nice day and maybe share it with someone you like.

9. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,104) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium Trader

Standard answer for a single unknown new beer will typically be to drink it, because there's no history to indicate it ages well, therefore the least risky move is to consume it fresh. Who knows, you may run across another one to age. I suspect it will be the last of the variants to disappear because it's not a stout. Before you drink it though, check taprooms as Wheatwine has been on tap quite a bit since release day. If you can have it on tap, then age your bottle. I liked it better than Bramble Rye.

AZBeerDude72 and brutalfarce like this.
  10. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (2,675) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Premium Trader

I agree with the 1 bottle then drink it comments. Enjoy!

brutalfarce and Greywulfken like this.
  11. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,504) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

With one bottle the real question is drink it or chug it? Nah...it's always drink it. :wink:

12. Celtics76

Celtics76 Defender (664) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

Drink it within a month or so. Agree with others.

I have a single vanilla, will be drinking it soon as aging it gives me nothing to compare it to. Takes the fun out of it.

brutalfarce and Greywulfken like this.
  13. Donco

Donco Devotee (437) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania

If you had two I'd say drink & age. One? Drink it...
    I bought two and did the above. BTW: It was excellent!

Lahey, brutalfarce and Greywulfken like this.
  14. moshea

moshea Devotee (463) Jul 16, 2007 Michigan

Drink it now, and then go buy a 4pk of Pilgrims Dole. Drink two. Drink the third at 6 months and the 4th at 1yr

You won't have to wait in line either for a top shelf BA WheatWine

15. oldbean

oldbean Aspirant (272) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

People are so rigid about the "you HAVE to drink it fresh if only have one bottle!" thing, which is weird to me. It's a reasonable rule of thumb but if you have one bottle of something and your own experience tells you it will be better aged... go ahead and age that shit. This isn't parachuting or like bridge construction or something, no lives will be lost if you accidentally make this beer 7% worse, you can break the rules if you feel like it.

brutalfarce likes this.
  16. dvmin98

dvmin98 Site Editor (2,724) Nov 1, 2010 North Carolina
    Premium Trader

Drink half. Put the cap back on and save it for 3 years. I bet it will be awesome

17. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,884) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

First time I had Sucaba, it had two years on it. I still haven't drank it fresh.

Isn't BCBS and its variants pasteurized now, thereby potentially limiting aging effects?

brutalfarce likes this.
  18. phroztbyt3

phroztbyt3 Initiate (52) Dec 10, 2015 Colorado

To an extent. I've aged the recent ones, and I prefer them slighly aged. Max 1 year (aka I drink them just in time for the new editions these days :stuck_out_tongue: )

brutalfarce and Harrison8 like this.
  19. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,334) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Just wondering, has anyone had a wheat wine that improved with age? If so, what was it?

brutalfarce likes this.
  20. brutalfarce

brutalfarce Initiate (151) Mar 23, 2018 Connecticut
    Trader

aging has no purpose if you have no point of reference as to how it started to begin with. not saying drink it straight away but to cellar it seems silly.

TongoRad likes this.
  21. Luscious_Malfoy

Luscious_Malfoy Meyvn (1,168) Oct 5, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

drink it soonish. if you really enjoy it or you are really curious to see how it ages, i bet you could swap a regular for another wheatwine.

brutalfarce likes this.
  22. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,389) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

LOL nice!

brutalfarce and TongoRad like this.
  23. 7irondave

7irondave Disciple (383) Jun 22, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

24. verniel

verniel Initiate (1) Dec 3, 2018

Age it. I love old wheatwine, I'll save it for best lonesome nights. But if I'm bored now, I'll drink it bottoms up. :-)

7irondave likes this.
  25. CoreyC

CoreyC Initiate (193) Mar 16, 2015 Wisconsin

Age it. I had one fresh and didn't love it. I've had many BCBWs and definitely like it better aged. After having one WW fresh, I will have the others at annual intervals. If I only had one, I'd wait 2 years, which is my target on BWs if I only have one bottle.

Luscious_Malfoy likes this.
  26. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,213) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

Drink it. A brewery would not release a beer unless they thought it was ready to drink.

Luscious_Malfoy and 7irondave like this.
  27. phroztbyt3

phroztbyt3 Initiate (52) Dec 10, 2015 Colorado

Tell that to Dogfish's 120min :stuck_out_tongue: