Opinions on Line Cutters at Beer Releases

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Siggy125, Nov 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siggy125

Siggy125 Disciple (356) Nov 10, 2006 California
    Trader

I'm sure at least a few of you have experienced this. A brewery or bottle shop is releasing a special beer on a first come, first served basis to those first in line. You line up in a line position that would include you in the release but then see the line lengthening in front of you. In some cases, this behavior could exclude you from a bottle.

What are some options for proper handling of this? I can think of a few but wondered if any of you have had success with your option without getting arrested. :angry:

2. semibaked

semibaked Zealot (585) Mar 27, 2007 Illinois

Try to convince the brewery/bottle shop to do a lottery, then there is no lines ever.

3. TequilaSauer

TequilaSauer Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2006 Florida

Honestly, I see very little of this. Most people are cool and respectful. For bigger releases, a lottery system definitely has to be used, but other than that, I haven't seen a line cutter at the smaller ones.

This morning for BCBS, I saw friends a couple people up, I went up and talked to them for a bit, and when the doors opened, I got back to my spot. Most people I've seen at events do this same move.

I might say something, depending on how limited supply was and how many people were already waiting.

4. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I like the lottery too, sitting on sidewalk at 3 am isn't much fun. Or decreasing the limits to give more a shot. BASC limit it to 2 vs 4, and everyone in line would of had some.

5. SaCkErZ9

SaCkErZ9 Poo-Bah (2,595) Feb 27, 2005 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Givemebeer likes this.
  6. DoubleJ

DoubleJ Poo-Bah (5,814) Oct 13, 2007 Wisconsin
    Society

Probably the same tactics whenever someone cuts in front of me at Disneyland or the lunch line; yell or threaten them until they move.

JMBSH, russpowell, RobinLee and 2 others like this.
  7. thewrongtone

thewrongtone Initiate (117) Oct 15, 2006 Arkansas

Swift, violent action is usually the best solution/deterrent.

The releases I've been to normally involve numbered wrist bands or tickets. That helps.

mcrago and Siggy125 like this.
  8. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Initiate (0) Aug 21, 2005 Minnesota

To the guillotine for the violator!

I am not willing to wait in line for any beer. But for those of you who do, this kind of behavior sucks. As it does in many other situations. I think the lottery is a great approach to keep this from ever happening.

beerluvr likes this.
  9. amnesia85

amnesia85 Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2012 Connecticut
    Deactivated

I personally am usually with my wife at bottle releases. In the beginning when we get in line she is there to meet the people who get behind us. After that she usually takes off to play with my daughter as she usually doesn't enjoy lines. She may come back a few times before the sales start or come back just before the sales start.

People further down May not know that she had been there from the beginning (before them even) and think she is cutting. I'm sure similar instances occur. In my experiences there hasent been any issues, I'm not sure if people get offended however I'm not to concerned as the only people who need to know what's going on are the people directly behind me. Once they see who's in front of them that's really all that matters.

10. c64person

c64person Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2010 Michigan

My biggest frustration with lines is when people are 'holding' spots for their spouses. Anyone that went to the Chthulu release knows what I am talking about. At about 11:58 a hoard of women ascended into the line to meet their husbands, boyfriends, associates. If you are going to make a queue to get a beer then make it like amusement parks, line cutters are ejected from the premises. Wristbands, lottery, a plethora of other ways would deter this, even a stamp on the hand would help with this problem.

Now I will say the above is rare and usually not a problem, but the holding spots for a female has been growing quite a bit at most releases I have gone to recently, and it does mean a lot of people who thought they were going to get beer wouldn't. But it's just beer at the end of the day, everyone just leave your mules at home k?

urielxvi, dmb2890, Whimpers and 6 others like this.
  11. DooshBagalow

DooshBagalow Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2012 Illinois

Watched some guy stand up to this crap just this very morning: Random group of three guys joined up with some friends already in line and if perhaps all of us (including the joiners) had wanted a bottle of the Proprietor's, or if more than 4 people went for the Coffee BCBS on the first trip in line, the dude that spoke up and his wife would have been shut out. He verbally kicked them to the back of the line, at which point the joiners proceeded to be pissed off and talk shit back, but FUCK THEM. It wasn't like a huge bottle count to which position didn't matter. There was a very limited amount of each variant at this particular store, so get to the back with it and shut the fuck up.

12. DooshBagalow

DooshBagalow Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2012 Illinois

Everyone in line for the opening at the Cthulhu release got a bottle though so in the end it doesn't matter. I'm perfectly fine with mules. I get that the showing up or getting out of the car thing right at the release time is pushing it a little bit (make your mules also stand in line), but hey if you can get someone to come stand in line with you, kudos.

13. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (7,760) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

dont wait in line for beer

14. Pintofbrown

Pintofbrown Initiate (0) Jun 25, 2011 Texas

I do what I want gator! And obviously, the appropriate move is to call them out... if you size them up first and think you could take them if it came to a round of gentlemen's fisticuffs.

deadliest and Ford like this.
  15. RandyV

RandyV Initiate (146) Aug 8, 2010 Arizona

It's a universal truth. No one likes a cheater!

16. amnesia85

Deactivated

This is a bold statement to make. My wife enjoys beer as much as anybody else. If she shows up to a release before everybody else behind me and stays on site just not " in line" doesn't mean that people behind her (us) that showed up later are more entitled to a bottle. I'm sorry if your calculations get thrown off but with this mentality it's like you expect that people are going to line up and not move. What about going to the bathroom? Do you frown on leaving the line to go to the bathroom? What if you forgot your phone and had to run to the car?

JuniperJesus, maximum12 and mufc704 like this.
  17. SomethingClever

SomethingClever Poo-Bah (3,427) Feb 22, 2013 Ohio
    Society

I've never been to a bottle release until today at Hoppin Frog and some idiot about 2 hours in from further back in the line starts yelling at ppl for cutting line well what happened was the tap room had just opened and there was a great piss exodus. all he saw were ppl returning but he went and got someone from inside and started pointing at ppl when he was fing clueless, everyone the guy from the brewery asked about cutting that I saw everyone around them was like yea that person has been in line but this guy would not let it go. He finally quit but it was kinda douchey when he didn't know what he was talking about. Everyone was in pretty good spirits in that line even with the long wait but I didn't see anyone cutting.

18. prdstmnky

prdstmnky Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2010 Vermont

But that isn't what you explained. Im not sure if we are talking about 6 hour lines or not (im assuming longer than an hour or two, since you bring up going to the bathroom), but you say that your wife will show up, meet people behind you, and leave, making a few appearances throughout. She is spending more time out of line, than in it, correct? Im not sure how that equates to a 5 min trip to your car or a bathroom.

denver10, JG-90, buffs9 and 4 others like this.
  19. jokemon

jokemon Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2007 Illinois

If I see line jumpers I yell at them in the face and get all angry and shit and threaten to kill them

BobbySnacks and elchicodelgado like this.
  20. mufc704

mufc704 Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2013 North Carolina

I find this to be a very bold statement. You are generalizing that none of these women aren't there to experience the beer themselves. My GF is just getting into craft brew and I'm fairly new, but if she wants to wait in the car cause she is cold or needs to run to the restroom why does she need to stand there the whole time? If she was there before you, regardless if she is a mule; or wasn't in line the whole time, she was there before you.

JuniperJesus likes this.
  21. prdstmnky

Because thats how lines work?

22. amnesia85

Deactivated

Ok say somebody shows up in line and counts the people in front of him. Then somebody returns from a trip to the bathroom. The person who shows up has no idea how long the person who went to the bathroom has been gone. Does it really matter how long they were gone?

Yes I am talking 2hr+ waits, and yes my wife spends less time in line formation than out of. But she is on site longer than everybody else behind us. Does it really matter how long she stands in one geographic location. It's really nobody's business in the line but the people directly behind me. Everybody else is just butt hurt because they got there late and don't have a wife or spouse that enjoys beer and will spend time going to beer releases. The point is you show up form a line after some time you are free to move around as long as everybody in near vacinity knows your intentions. It's not specific to just beer same goes for every gen admin concert I've been too, and most likely applies to game and phone releases.

23. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poo-Bah (2,880) Jun 18, 2002 Arizona
    Society

Hate them.

But this is the way people are. I've just grown to lower my expectations for people over the years, and now I'm less angered by such things.

24. prdstmnky

See, that imo is what ticket releases are for...you get in line, you get a ticket, then you can leave. No such system, you wait in line like everyone else. I have taken my girlfriend to several releases, many an hour, and short of a trip to the bathroom, she stood in line like everyone else.

denver10, Whimpers, buffs9 and 2 others like this.
  25. thatinvisibo

thatinvisibo Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2005 California

She was there before me, then left the line to stay somewhere more comfortable... Therefore she's no longer waiting in line. EVERYONE in line would rather be waiting in their car.

26. BrettHead

BrettHead Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

This. If you aren't in the line then you aren't in the line. What if everyone waited in their car..

LOL truer words were never spoken

powpig2002 and LambicPentameter like this.
  27. amnesia85

Deactivated

B U T T H U R T! So how long is it ok to leave the said line. And what defines "in line". Do you also get upset when you show up for a release and the Iine isn't single file? How far should the people waiting be spaced apart ? Like if she were say 5 feet away is that too far away? What about people who bring chairs??? Here I am standing in line and there's people sitting in lawn chairs in front of me! They are not technically standing in line as long as me! I want to sit too like everybody else!!

28. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Initiate (0) May 8, 2006 Michigan

But if your trading partner cheats the system and you benefit from it you will then call them a saint, and sing their praises for all to hear.

It is amazing how perspective changes depending on how much we benefit from the situation.

29. danscott

danscott Initiate (0) Jul 15, 2006 California

If a brewery is so uncreative that they make people line up for first come, first serve at a release, then they probably are not going to have the foresight to deal with line jumpers.

There are so many better ways to do this. Lines are lazy.

30. JISurfer

JISurfer Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2002 South Carolina

Put them on blast, call them out, and get retribution or an apology. At least, that works for me in the airport.

31. JISurfer

JISurfer Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2002 South Carolina

This is unfortunately true. I work at an inner city high school, deal with a lot of kids everyday, that have no moral compass, and generally don't care about anybody but themselves. Apparently, it's my job to teach them and give them basic home training.

32. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2009 California
    Deactivated

One less in line come December 4th and February in Santa Rosa...

33. siege06nd

siege06nd Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2009 Virginia

Strawmen are more of an October thing, don't you think?

I'd also pay real money to never hear anyone use the word "butthurt" again.

34. kzoobrew

Whether there are better solutions or not, it is sad to see lack of common decency and respect blamed on the breweries. Unfortunately there seems to be a trend where people do not want to take responsibility for their actions but rather justify them with ridiculous explanations.

35. thatinvisibo

thatinvisibo Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2005 California

-However long it takes you to go to the bathroom (or do whatever other task that needs to be done)
    -People waiting in an orderly fashion for a good or service
    -No
    -Close enough to show that you're waiting, far enough so no one's uncomfortable
    -No, that's fine, since she's still in the line
    -I have as much a problem with chairs as do jackets; that is to say none

Givemebeer likes this.
  36. siege06nd

siege06nd Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2009 Virginia

You never struck me as a Golden Rule kinda guy. I knew there was a reason I liked you!

37. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Chairs? He was in line to put it there. So he takes a piss, visits friends, who cares? He was still there to put his chair down, and why stand if you can sit. At Foothills everyone brought chairs, most roamed, so what?

38. kzoobrew

I suggest that anyone going to a beer release has a catheter and colostomy bag. That should remove all bathroom concerns. Most everyone has smart devices now, no reason to roam when you can skype. No reason to ever leave the line.

39. amnesia85

Deactivated

Fair enough.

Sarcastically speaking next time I'm waiting in line, I will make sure that everybody behind me is comfortable with me. Because I care about their comfort level regarding where I stand.

So say it's raining outside and some people have umbrellas. Is it ok for them to open them knowing that other people have stand in the open rain? Doesn't everybody want to be dry too?

It really pisses me off when people bring food. If you don't bring enough to share with everybody in line you shouldn't eat in line. This applies to gum as well.

hwy395 likes this.
  40. danscott

danscott Initiate (0) Jul 15, 2006 California

No, the same number of people, as I was never in those lines.

Enjoyed the beers just the same, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.