Opinions on Materpiece Eclipse

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by jonbeer89, Jan 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonbeer89

jonbeer89 Jul 8, 2011 Nebraska

just looking for opinions on this one. Worth pursuing?

2. 3SH33TS

3SH33TS Dec 21, 2010 California

The guy who bought 70 bottles definitely thinks so.

{Rimshot}

thereal_adam and VegasHopHead like this.
  3. jonbeer89

For real???

4. Rotero24

Rotero24 Aug 6, 2013 California

400 bottle count @ $47 a pop...and apparently 1 guy got 6 cases and only like 20 people got a chance to buy bottles

5. chardlogic

chardlogic Feb 18, 2011 Oregon
    Trader

Muling groups. The dark side of craft beer.

evilcatfish and rjp217 like this.
  6. jonbeer89

So does anyone think it's worth it?

7. evilcatfish

evilcatfish May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

I generally avoid Fifty Fifty beers so IMHO, no

brian4beer and Bartos like this.
  8. Stevedore

Stevedore Nov 16, 2012 Oregon
    Society Trader

9. jonbeer89

Thank you for your opinions!

10. Kurmaraja

Kurmaraja May 21, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I'm sure many folks will say "yes" and a lot will say "no" ... which leaves you nowhere. What I'd ask is:

1. What's the "cost" you're looking at? No way to say it's worth it unless we know what you're giving up. If you find a trader that's reasonable, it very well could be.
    2. What are your favorite big stouts? That's going to help figure out if this is in your wheelhouse or not.
    3. What other big stouts do you have / want? You don't have a lot of beers rated / ticked. This, to me, seems important because it's about opportunity cost. For example, if you love a lot of vanilla and haven't had Vanilla Rye, Madagascar, Vanilla Hunter ... then, no way is it worth it since you can get all those and probably more for less than the price of entry.

TL;DR - it's all about opportunity cost and your taste preferences.

For what it's worth, friends of mine that have had it (who were shut out at the party so were probably pre-disposed to hate it!) thought it was excellent.

On another note, I wish there was a way to look at ratings with all the silly 5 star with no comment reviews filtered out. Perfection, by definition, is rare and hard to achieve. When I see a beer like this with 6 of 22 reviews perfect 5s ... I'm skeptical to say the least. It's funny to sort all beers in a style by rating and find that, lo and behold, there are so many "perfect" beers with 1 or 2 reviews by breweries you've never heard of. Who knew The North Brewery of Endicott, NY made a PERFECT imperial stout called Imperial Cerberus. Just goes to show, the rarer something is the better it is. Firestone Walker, take note!

11. jonbeer89

Wow. I'm not going to lie.... Didn't want to read that. Was looking for simple yes/no opinions of familiar BA'ers. That's all. Not a total shake down. Curiosity is getting the best of me on this one though.......

Cfeezy likes this.
  12. VegasHopHead

VegasHopHead Jun 21, 2012 Nevada

So here goes, On draft it was really good. Although it was the 2nd best beer i had that night. However, I wasn't a huge fan of the Vanilla-Java on draft and out of the bottle it was my surprise of 2014. Its a bigger stout with better mouthfeel then the other eclipses brewed with totality as the base. They brewed a bigger stout for this, and then also kept it in barrel for 18 months. Its good man, probably not 45$ retail good, but worth it. it was only 400 bottles and yes someone got 70 for mule group and a few others got at least a case. Good luck, if its reasonable, trade for it.

13. krustster

krustster Nov 22, 2013 Maine

Yeah dude, that had to be at LEAST two paragraphs. Way too much effort. :rolling_eyes:

Duff27 and Abbbp like this.
  14. nc41

nc41 Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Never had Masterpiece, but every Eclipse I've had has been terriffic, it's a bit pricy, but it's damn good. Most of these are $30 beers give or take, and Masterpiece raises that by $20. If your curious and the price doesn't make you skip dinners for a week do it, for a one time thing it's not a lot of money.

The problem is distro was fucked because assholes hoarded the beers, finding a regular guy who may want to part with one will be a lot harder and likely pricy. But if your inclined there's only one way to know.

15. Siggy125

Siggy125 Nov 10, 2006 California
    Trader

Great post from Kurmaraja. What does "worth it" mean to you? Masterpiece is damn good beer, but only if it suits your tastes. This is a great BA stout that will age gracefully. BTW, lots of hoppiness with 80 IBUs.

Unfortunately, the price was driven by rarity as you can easily acquire beers just as good for half the price. But if you place any value on a sexy, numbered, 750ml waxed bottle with lots of soap opera drama behind it, (on top of how it good tastes), then it's probably worth it.

thereal_adam, Cfeezy and Kurmaraja like this.
  16. cdJensen

cdJensen Nov 30, 2010 California
    Trader

It's really good. Had it at a share just recently with DB Huna, KBBS, and Prop and it did not disappoint. I would have to say out of the 4 it was fourth in line for me, but some of the group had it above those other beers. It all comes down to personal preference.

JavaNoire and VegasHopHead like this.
  17. Cfeezy

Cfeezy Jan 8, 2014 New Jersey

Id have to say it may be the best straight up (no other flavors added) BA stout I ever had (bcb rare, too). So in that category I gave it 5/5. Do I prefer a fresh CBS or BA abraxas more than it? Depends what type of mood I'm in. It's all what your preferences are for sure like the other BAs said.

If you can track it down reasonably then I say take the jump, but that's just me.

Cheers

JavaNoire likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.