Ordering a case of Cantillon from Belgium

Discussion in 'Canada' started by rimbaud3000, Apr 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rimbaud3000

rimbaud3000 Initiate (0) Apr 10, 2017 California

I am looking to purchase a case of Cantillon to import to Ontario.

Can you offer any insight into the process/fees/duties that I will have to pay when it reaches customs?

2. GJKerr

GJKerr Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2014 Canada (ON)

As far as I know, this needs to be channeled through the LCBO - no direct to consumer import in Ontario. Regardless, I believe there is a volume limit , which, depending on what constitutes a "case", you may be in excess of.

3. BakaGaijin

BakaGaijin Aspirant (275) May 20, 2014 Canada (ON)

You cannot import beer into Ontario unless you go through the LCBO. You will not be able to privately purchase a case and import it through the LCBO. Since Cantillon is already represented by Keep 6 you cannot become Cantillon's agent.

Essentially, you have no chance of doing this.

You could fly to Belgium and bring the case back to Canada in your luggage under your personal exemption. You could bring more than your exemption and pay duties and tax (it's quite reasonable for beer around 20% I think).

Your other option would be to get a temporary mailing address in the U.S. near the border and ship the case there. Then you drive across to pick it up and pay duty taxes. Many people do this in the beer trading community for trades with Americans.

4. byronic

byronic Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2013 Canada (ON)

Not to burst your bubble but I wholeheartedly agree with this statement, especially considering it's Cantillon you're after. It would be simpler to fly and bring home 45 litres of it, possibly cheaper as well. I've attempted different imports through the LCBO myself and at best you'll be on the hook for months.

#4 byronic, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    dabeerbuddha likes this.
  5. dabeerbuddha

dabeerbuddha Aspirant (285) Feb 4, 2016 Canada (ON)
    Trader

What they said.
    Could always try another route. But the flight and experience would be the easiest way to go.

6. JonnyBeers

JonnyBeers Disciple (345) Oct 24, 2012 Canada (BC)

I'm assuming the OP meant buy on one of the retail websites not actually contact Cantillon and directly import it.

Many of those sites no longer ship to Canada because they won't go through customs, or they'll get denied. They still ship to the US from what I've read, get a mailbox receiver near the border.

7. Torontoblue

Torontoblue Aspirant (240) Jun 12, 2005 Canada (AB)

Actually, they do have a chance.

They can contact Keep 6 direct and ask if it's possible to order a case for them, and have it shipped next time they place an order.

8. bylerteck

bylerteck Poo-Bah (3,353) May 17, 2009 Canada (ON)
    Society

I can't imagine they would do this as they run bars that run a near monopoly on Cantillon sales

9. Torontoblue

Torontoblue Aspirant (240) Jun 12, 2005 Canada (AB)

Knowing the guys that run Keep 6......they might very well help a customer out.

10. Todd_the_Beer

Todd_the_Beer Initiate (78) May 15, 2013 Canada (ON)

I have had no problem buying from websites in Belgium and having it shipped directly to me in Canada. I usually order some Cantillon and Westy, they declare it as "glassware". I understand there's a great risk doing this and it's only a matter of time before one order doesn't make it through. So far so good though.

11. rimbaud3000

Thanks for all the good info. Yes, I did not mean direct from Cantillon but from a Belgian retailer.

I have spoke to Trappist World and they told me no problem, they do it regularly.

I also spoke to Belgian in a Box and they said they will not ship to Canada.

I already reached out to Keep 6 and have not heard back yet. I was looking into ordering through LCBO but I did not know that I would not be able to do so because Keep 6 would be the 'exclusive' agent.

I could ship to California but then I would have to ship it to Canada from there which adds another level of complication.

I will post any updates in this thread if I make any progress.

12. BakaGaijin

Exactly.

I've asked them this before and they said they would not sell it to customers as the amount that they get is very limited.

I could see them possibly putting a few cases up on the LCBO website one day if their allocation increases. That would be shitshow.

13. GJKerr

GJKerr Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2014 Canada (ON)

In fact they did tip their hand to doing this in one of their Instagram posts a couple of months back. Shit show indeed.

14. BakaGaijin

Would be fun!

Interestingly.........the limits at Cantillon are now 3 bottles per person PER YEAR for every product.

dabeerbuddha likes this.
  15. portwood

portwood Aspirant (209) Aug 20, 2015 Canada (ON)

The process for special order products is:
    - contact LCBO and give them description of what you want
    - LCBO contacts the Ontario agent to find out if the product is available, minimum order quantity, and cost.
    etc, etc http://www.lcbo.com/content/lcbo/en/corporate-pages/about/aboutourbusiness/private-ordering.html
    no need to go further with the process because, as already mentioned, Keep6 is the Cantillon agent .... and their answer to LCBO/customer is going to be ... sorry but we can't even import enough for our own bar.

You can always visit Birreria Volo, they'll gladly sell you a bottle to drink there :wink:

16. TheSevenDuffs

TheSevenDuffs Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2010 Canada (ON)

I am not sure where in Ontario you are, but many people in southern Ontario use mailbox services just across the border in Niagara Falls, NY to have beer shipped to and then make the hour or so drive to pick it up and import it. If you can ship the Cantillon to California without a problem, this might be your best bet. Although it would add an extra layer of shipping to your process, it should remove a lot of the complications.

17. rimbaud3000

Thanks. I'm going to ship to California. Anything I should know shipping from California to Toronto regards customs, recommend career etc?

18. dabeerbuddha

dabeerbuddha Aspirant (285) Feb 4, 2016 Canada (ON)
    Trader

TSD is recommending a Stateside courier box.
    Ship from California to Buffalo mail box and make the drive to pick up. Declare the beer on your way over the border.
    Anyone able to recommend or PM me with a good service in the Rainbow bridge/peace Bridge area?

TheSevenDuffs likes this.
  19. TheSevenDuffs

Yes, don't do it. It's not worth the risk. If it gets caught at Customs they will seize the beer and dump it. That's why I recommended shipping to a mailbox just across the border and picking it up.

JonnyBeers likes this.
  20. TheSevenDuffs

CBI is the one I use (and a few others I know use it as well). It is about 1km from the rainbow bridge. So the location is fantastic. There are 2-3 other ones if you do a google search.

The main downside to CBI is that it is closed on Sundays.

dabeerbuddha likes this.
  21. rimbaud3000

Thanks for the heads up. I don't think I will be able to drive to Buffalo and pick it up. What about checking it in my suitcase, extremely well padded, and flying from LA to Toronto?

dabeerbuddha likes this.
  22. TheSevenDuffs

That would work. I've done that many times.

23. JonnyBeers

Ya def don't try to ship from Cali to Toronto, good chance they'll dump it, into their mouths...

I had a shipment denied just for being sent CLOSE to the border. Luckily they just sent it back to sender, who then sent it back to me a little further away from the border

24. BakaGaijin

25. rimbaud3000

Just placed an order through Trappist World. Shipping was $135. Was told to expect it in 5-8 days. Here's to hoping all goes well!

26. bylerteck

Society

This seems like far too much work

portwood likes this.
  27. rimbaud3000

I can now say I highly recommend ordering from Trappist World. Good communication, two weeks from order to delivery and very well packed. This was to the States, mind you. They marked it as "Glass Art" or something along those lines.

28. rimbaud3000

You do realize what site you are on, right?

29. hoptemologist

hoptemologist Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2014 Canada (AB)

how much you pay if you dont mind? and what did you get

30. JonnyBeers

Noticed Mikkeller won't ship to Canada or US now either

31. bylerteck

Society

The site I've been on 8 years longer than you? Ya. I'm familiar with the goings on.

David_kent likes this.
  32. bylerteck

Society

Also, cheers on the order!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.