Oregon Beer News (2020)

Discussion in 'US - West' started by weaverr, Jan 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. afrokaze

afrokaze Zealot (583) Jun 12, 2009 Oregon

The canning line is projected to be up and running by October if all goes well. For now, we're continuing to do mobile canning with Craft Canning, as we have been doing for our Seeker IPA series and the @Portland IPA that recently hit the market. The pFriem collab, SoCal Pils, was canned yesterday and will be on shelves very soon. It's a new batch of the same beer that was previously on draft early in the year, as @distantmantra mentioned. Also keep an eye out for the new Cryo dry hopped Seeker IPA in cans.

jakecattleco, TaborTime, vurt and 2 others like this.
  2. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,866) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Full distro, or limited?

3. afrokaze

afrokaze Zealot (583) Jun 12, 2009 Oregon

I'm not totally sure (I'm just a brewer) but it was just a single batch for now, so I'd guess it'll be somewhat limited to specialty stores/bars. I really hope we get to brew more soon though.

4. derftron

derftron Devotee (451) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

Johns mkt has the Breakside/pFriem collab, so it’s probably all around PDX.

Side question: Plaid Pantry and 7/11s in PDX have pretty awesome beer selections compared to other mini marts around the country. But all of the beers and IPAs are routinely 3+ months past the canning date.

I know they run through crazy amounts of beer, what’s going on here? Do they get leftovers somehow??

5. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (6,366) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Society Trader

Is a fresh IPA really going to pair well with that taquito?

Or maybe IPAs aren't their fastest movers? Or neither they nor their distributors care?

vurt, Reidrover and BBThunderbolt like this.
  6. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (4,834) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

Its a mixed bag at PP. but i haven't really noticed their Oregon based IPAs being out of date..least here in West Salem..unlike us most craft beer drinkers are very ;local centric, i know a few guys who will only drink one brand of IPA thats it. Beers from outside the PNW that i find in PP are often old.

BBThunderbolt and vurt like this.
  7. vurt

vurt Poo-Bah (1,749) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

HAHAHAHAHA!! That almost made me snort coffee out my nose.

8. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (10,025) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

I know this ain't taquito advocate, but, how are PPs taquitos? I must admit a certain fondness for the 7-11 taquito near my house, especially after more than a couple IPAs. :wink:

Reidrover and vurt like this.
  9. vurt

Society

May be of interest to @DefenCorps and other lager-heads: Occidental Brewing has released a kellerbier called Speisekammer.

From Occidental's online store:
    "Brewed for our ninth anniversary, this Kellerbier was made in the spirit of these difficult times utilizing ingredients we had on hand, hence "Speisekammer"—German for pantry. Pilsner, Vienna, and Munich malts join Perle, Tettnang, and Halltertau hops in this unfiltered lager. 5% ABV."

10. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (7,356) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

This is germane to my interests. Will look for cans of this next time I'm over at John's.

11. ppilot

ppilot Initiate (134) Jul 17, 2009 Oregon

So I grabbed four pack of this on release day and I will have to try another can, because I wasn't a huge fan of the one I tried.

vurt and BBThunderbolt like this.
  12. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (6,524) Nov 16, 2012 Oregon
    Society Trader

Also germane to mine... keep the PNW lager news coming

jakecattleco, BBThunderbolt and vurt like this.
  13. vurt

Society

I appreciate the input. I'll manage my expectations when I open a can tonight.

(I found it at the Tanasbourne Whole Foods, so I imagine it's available all over Portland at this point. Looking forward to trying it.)

14. dphi

dphi Initiate (110) Apr 14, 2013 Oregon

Just got a 4-pack of the DDH IPA and it's super good!

afrokaze likes this.
  15. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Meyvn (1,224) Sep 12, 2012 Oregon
    Society

jakecattleco and distantmantra like this.
  16. weaverr

weaverr Aspirant (204) Jun 10, 2008 California

vurt likes this.
  17. derftron

Well this is very good news

[​IMG]

#257 derftron, Jun 13, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2020
    kemoarps, weaverr, ch3no2 and 7 others like this.
  18. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I'm not a huge fan of the Lila, but beerweek cans are a whole different kettle of fish. Very excited to see cans of that.

19. vurt

Society

BEERWEEK!!!

YES!!!

weaverr and DefenCorps like this.
  20. derftron

i love LIla as well so this is doubly good news for me

DefenCorps and vurt like this.
  21. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,193) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

God I wish we saw hotd down here. I'd love to try Lila and Bierweek is the tits!

vurt likes this.
  22. weaverr

BIERWEEK IN 16OZ CANS YESSSSS

DefenCorps and vurt like this.
  23. jason_nwx

Society

Flat Tail got evicted and is in limbo in Corvallis.

24. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,277) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

Assuming the no notice/no cause parts are true, it takes a special kind of asshole to evict right now. I hope there’s some legal recourse for Dave and Flat Tail.

25. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I always feel uncomfortable when I read articles like this, as I feel like I'm only hearing one side of the story. Clearly, there was some sort of discussion about renewing the lease, based on the comments from Mr. Marliave:

"To Mike, Rob, Brenda, Rand, and Cassandra. You told me you wanted a mutually beneficial new agreement. You told me you’d negotiate in good faith. Mike, you told me you wanted to be “friends” when we came out the other side."

It's pretty hard to square that commentary with the subsequent statement: "Then, you evicted me without a word, without cause."

The timing of this definitely sucks, but it could be that the Landlord didn't have any other alternative. The article makes it sound like this could have simply been the date the lease expired, and for whatever reason, they (the Landlord) decided not to renew it. I don't know how legally feasible it would have been for them to allow Mr. Marliave to continue to operate the brewery without a new lease, or if they could have allowed him additional time to vacate the premises before taking possession of the property.

There definitely appears to have been a communication breakdown at some point in the discussion process. At this point it's anyone's guess what led to that.

kemoarps, sharpski, vurt and 3 others like this.
  26. ppilot

ppilot Initiate (134) Jul 17, 2009 Oregon

Right now there really isn't two sides these restaurant/Landlord Stories unless they were having issues making rent before all this happened. The reason I say this is that I've heard first hand of similar situations elsewhere. Land lords who push out decent tenants in this climate are absolutely insane as there is literally zero chance of finding a replacement in the next couple years.

27. derftron

the guy could be a complete jerk, that is definitely possible.

but who knows, maybe the landlord has an offer from someone to buy the property outright or maybe Flat Tail's finances/payments have been off for years and they couldnt come to terms on how to remedy that.

But yes, if the owner thinks that he/she is going to be able to fill that space anytime soon with a new tenant, they would be dumb. and if they evicted Flat Tail in bad faith without cause then that is slimy

kemoarps likes this.
  28. weaverr

This is the thing that I can't understand. Small businesses are closing all over the place because they can't afford the rent and somehow these landlords think that someone else is going to move into that space. I get that a landlord needs to get paid, but it seems like you're looking at 3 months of no rent vs no tenant for 1 year+ in this economy. Too many landlords are choosing the probability of 1 year+ of no tenants like some kind of gambling addict.

kemoarps likes this.
  29. derftron

yeah time will tell. again, i dont take anything i see on social media at face value, so without personally knowing any of the parties involved im not going to level judgement. But any landlord kicking out a tenant without a plan for sale or negotiating a way to keep them in the building in good faith is either a slime ball, an idiot or both

30. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I'm not in the Landlord shoes, but agree with everything in your post and think this is all pretty obvious. Plus according to the article, the brewery owner had been a tenant there for roughly 10 years. Given that kind of history and the current economic climate, I would think the Landlord would do everything in his power to keep him on as a tenant.

Yet apparently he did none of that. That makes me think he already is certain he has a new tenant all lined up to take over the old space, or something really bad must have happened between him and the brewery owner.

sharpski likes this.
  31. jason_nwx

Society

32. derftron

some good drops around town today.....

Fresh Flow
    WanderJack
    2020 3-Way

also, apparently the Hair of the Dog Lila/Bierweek cans will be Market of Choice exclusive

afrokaze, Reidrover and vurt like this.
  33. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Good to know. Will probably pick up all three this weekend.

Kind of puzzled by the hotd distribution. Previous cans were sold to any store that wanted to buy them. Does MofC use a different distributor than other stores for hotd product? I did hear there were some problems with distribution of the IPA's.

34. derftron

MOC has always had the inside track on HotD beers. They frequently have “brewery only” beers on the shelf. I’ve seen vintages of Matt, Otto, Adam FTW etc. on the shelves of various MOC stores, even as far as Eugene and Corvallis. Alan obviously has a relationship with them

vurt likes this.
  35. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

From past posts I've read in this forum, I was under the impression that, at least in some instances, MofC had a buyer going to the tasting room and buying beer direct from the brewer. They weren't actually using a distributor.

The times I've made off the cuff comments over at HOTD about my surprise in finding certain limited release, BA stuff at some of the local MofC stores, no one would ever confirm that HOTD had any sort of special relationship with MofC. In fact, employees at the tasting room usually expressed surprise about my experience over at those MofC stores.

In any event, in the case of HOTD cans, I wouldn't expect these to be limited in any way, and so it seems puzzling (at least to me) that they would only be available at MofC. My impression is that HOTD has had some trouble selling off all their IPA cans in the past, so all the more reason why I would expect them to sell cans of LILA and Bierweek to anyone who wants to buy them.

But that's just my opinion and perspective.

#275 John_M, Jun 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    sharpski likes this.
  36. jason_nwx

Society

In case this is a thing of interest to people, Ex Novo and Upright did a collaboration ESB called Upright Citizens that is now selling at Ex Novo pubs for $12/4-pack of 16oz cans. And they apparently deliver for free. I can't be the only one overly excited about this beer.

vurt, jakecattleco, rrock44 and 2 others like this.
  37. jason_nwx

Society

Couple new release tibits in there that I believe were previously unannounced. Jubel 2020 coming this year - probably most assumed it would but Deschutes hadn't said anything official yet. Also an imperial hazy is coming: Royal Fresh. And despite the litany of questions about Bachelor Bitter it's not currently in the packaging plans.

38. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (10,025) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Sadly, no plans for Mirror Mirror either. The world needs less turbidity and MOAR BARLEYWINEZ!!!!!

kemoarps, weaverr, 66jzmstr and 3 others like this.
  39. VashonGuy

VashonGuy Meyvn (1,309) Mar 7, 2013 Washington
    Trader

@John_M , how can I give this 10 Likes? The man is speaking the TRUTH.

40. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

LOL. Wish I knew, or I'd do the same myself. Words of wisdom, verily.

kemoarps likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.