Oregon Beer News (2020)

Discussion in 'US - West' started by weaverr, Jan 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (7,356) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Interesting visit to John's today.

They were out of all three of these beers. The new 3 way was a particularly big seller for them I was told. According to the staff at John's, they got in 8 cases on Wednesday and all 8 cases were gone by the end of the day.

Clearly there's still a lot of pent up interest and demand for this beer.

2. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (6,366) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Society Trader

But isn't this what always happens with the first few batches of 3-Way? I've had to wait around a month or so before being able to find it easily (as in, not watch social media and run right over) in years past.

7thSeal and vurt like this.
  3. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Yes it is. I just don't understand why that's the case.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  4. derftron

derftron Devotee (451) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

FYI -- New Seasons on scholls ferry will have everything you are looking for. I wouldnt make a trip for 3-way, but the Fresh Flow and WanderJack on the other hand......

5. 7thSeal

7thSeal Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2020 Oregon

1.) Lots of people like (hazy) IPAs.*
    2.) Lots of people are eager to try whatever's new simply because it's new.*
    3.) 3-Way is a highly anticipated annual release for lots of people.*

Ergo:

A new version of 3-Way tends to sell out quickly when it first hits the market. #RocketScience

*These postulates may not apply to you, but it's a pluralistic world out there and it really shouldn't be so hard to wrap your mind around it.

kemoarps, Naikoon, SeaAle and 2 others like this.
  6. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

LOL! I always enjoy your thoughtful posts. Probably pointless, but let's see if we can unpack this.

Point number one (that you made). This is actually known to me. In fact, I'm fairly sure this was something I mentioned in an earlier post (that hazy IPA's are undeniably popular). I'll even go out on a limb and speculate that this might be the reason why this is the 4th year in a row we've seen a 3 way version. So thanks for the insight, but I'm actually aware of this.

Point number two. Yep, that's undeniably true. In fact, this even applies to me. However, this isn't exactly the first time 3 way has been a hazy ipa now, is it? Part of the reason I expressed my surprise at the beer selling out so quickly is that 1) 3 way comes out around this time every year; 2) it's typically available for at least several months and is widely available in cans and on draft (and so I'd hardly call it a limited release); 3) interest and demand for 3 way seems to have decreased every year (granted, this is based on anecdotal evidence, so make what you will of this observation - in my experience the later batches sell more and more slowly every year).

Point number three. Ummm, gee, thanks for the news flash. That was kind of the point I thought I was making. In fact, that was actually the entire reason for my post... After all this time, it seems surprising (at least to me) that this beer receives such a warm reaction every year. Granted, that's based on my personal observation that hazy IPA's aren't exactly in short supply in the NW, and that recent iterations of hazy 3 way IPA's haven't been anything extraordinary.

You know @7thSeal, I'm more than happy to discuss our divergent opinions, as that's what BA is all about I think. That would probably be a lot easier to do if we both left off with the sarcasm. I promise that if you can lay off responding to my posts like I'm some sort of idiot, I'll reciprocate with your observations as well. Deal?

7. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (4,834) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

I think this belongs here..but last few months i have been seeing that many small Oregon breweries have been going directly to Grocery Outlet, as a cheap ass i shop at GO and i first noticed it with Beer Valley..now seeing Steens in Burns are doing this and now Bent Shovel and Coin Toss much closer to home...i saw a few more on FB i cant remember. Good or Bad?

sharpski and BBThunderbolt like this.
  8. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (10,025) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

I think it depends on freshness. As long as the beers are the same age as what the other stores are getting, I don't see a problem.

John_M and sharpski like this.
  9. 7thSeal

Listen, I get that you think 3-Way shouldn't sell as briskly as it does whenever the latest iteration comes out because there's already a glut of hazy IPAs on our shelves, they always make a boatload over the course of the summer, and it's been hazy (albeit with different brewers and a different recipe) each of the past few years. Your views, oft repeated, are very clear.

But there's obviously a "quorum" out there that doesn't care about any of this or has other ideas and interests. For them, it's another beer to tick, a favorite annual collab they're eager to try, a fresh take on a favorite style, etc...So they rush off to grab it. These people aren't like you, don't think like you, and don't behave like you, but there are lots of them. A whole fucking world of them, in fact.

You said you didn't understand why it goes quickly when it first arrives each summer. This is why. It's as simple as that.

Naikoon, SeaAle and distantmantra like this.
  10. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Again, I'm aware of all this as well. And I don't personally have any feelings about the beer. I happen to like the breweries involved in the collaboration, and would be absolutely delighted if they sell a boatload of this beer. So it certainly won't bother me one bit if it sells very well indeed.

My comment is/was more of an historical one. This is what? The 8th or 9th vintage for this beer? IMHO, the novelty has long since worn off, and quality seems to have stagnated as well. My take over the past few years, is that the beer's popularity has gradually waned. The last couple of years, by the end of the season, it seems like customers and this community were almost overjoyed to see it go.

My comment is/was based on that experience. So yeah... I was a bit surprised to see such a strong initial response to this year's release. I still don't understand just why it's so strong this year, given the historical factors I mentioned, but I'm not upset by it. I obviously miscalculated the pent up interest and demand for the beer. I doubt this will be last time.

Just a suggestion @7thSeal... But if you find my point of view so obvious, so predictable and so tedious, why don't you just block me? That way you won't have to be subjected to them in the future. That will likely make both us very happy.

jakecattleco, DefenCorps and sharpski like this.
  11. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Instagram from John's indicates they expect to open the SE Powell store by the end of the month.

8eer, jason_nwx and BBThunderbolt like this.
  12. 7thSeal

No it won't. And I'm sure we'll hear all about it.:wink:

Not that I find it necessary, but you actually can't block a moderator. However, since occasionally challenging your point of view seems to upset you and distracts from the other business at hand, I do think it's better for me to go back to silently rolling my eyes whenever you trot out your greatest hits for another tour.

No hard feelings, man. It's not personal and it's just beer. Cheers.

Naikoon likes this.
  13. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

LOL! You really believe that don't you. Man, what a sanctimonious ass you are. I confess I find you quite amusing.

Reidrover likes this.
  14. heyhiggi

heyhiggi Initiate (90) Sep 6, 2014 Oregon
    Trader

Beer gods have spoken. No #truefans are allowed to buy 3-way before July 1st

I, a member of uninformed, am on the way to level to pick up my 4-pack

15. 7thSeal

This is childish and beneath someone who's supposed to set an example and follow the code of conduct through his role as a moderator.

I made a point—which I now regret—about your perspective being insular since you couldn't comprehend the sales of a beer you were personally less interested in buying than other people. I then made a playful (if unkind) jab at your tendency to complain and repeat yourself. And now we're at name-calling.

You talk about BA being a place where differences of opinion should be aired, but when I questioned your perspective on something with a little force you immediately got bent out of shape.

You got the next best thing to your deal. I can't ignore you, alas, but I'm done talking with you.

kemoarps, Joshbiir and Naikoon like this.
  16. shelby415

shelby415 Meyvn (1,157) Oct 10, 2011 Oregon
    Trader

I just had this year's 3-Way a few days ago and can confirm that it is hazy and will probably not do much for those not into the style. Probably it's pretty average for the style. I feel like some of FG's other IPAs are better.

That said, I like this year's way more than last year's (which did nothing for me).

rrock44 likes this.
  17. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

My reaction as well (to last year's version). I'm glad to hear that this year's is a bit better.

Am now at Alefire hot sauce and pub, where I was able to try a complimentary sample glass. I think that's going to be sufficient for me. Like you said, it's not bad, but it's also totally unremarkable.

rrock44 and BBThunderbolt like this.
  18. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (4,834) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

I generally was OK with the haze craze..but now i tend to when looking for a new beer experience to avoid new Hazy's because most are just pedestrian and i believe serve the same purpose as Alcoholic seltzer..less bitterness more fruits..i didnt destroy my tongue with extreme hops to settle for this! LOL

19. DefenCorps

Society Trader

It didn't help that I was a few beers deep while reading this - you,like me, aren't into hazies as much and find them bothersome? High 5!

kemoarps and vurt like this.
  20. dphi

dphi Initiate (110) Apr 14, 2013 Oregon

Yeah I thought it could easily have just been another batch of Fields of Green. It's on the sweeter side too unfortunately, a little more hop bite and I'd be much more excited to load up over the summer.

21. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I think we're finally on the same page. Cheers!

22. derftron

Apex is back open Tues - Sat, 2-9pm patio seating.

beer list looks solid as usual

23. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Let me guess... and they also decided to reduce their prices because of the pandemic and impact it's had on the economy.

(Just kidding.... sorry, couldn't resist).

And you're right. Very solid taplist as always. I'm very tempted to stop by for a glass of Armored Fist. Was just thinking the other day that it's probably my favorite CDA and I haven't had a glass in ages.

24. derftron

Decided to stop by. They take your temp at the door with a laser monitor thingy. Tables are spaced out.

Still cash only which doesn’t seem wise but maybe the data suggests transmission via surface contact in negligent (I’m not sure) .

Having a pint of the Ruse phantom shore xtra pale ale. It’s delicious

[​IMG]

25. DefenCorps

Society Trader

Here's an excerpt from Heater Allen's newsletter. Items in bold are ones I'm particularly excited about. Rejoice!

What's on Deck

With our new focus on cans, it’s much easier to know what and when different beers will be available. Here’s the tentative canning schedule for the next few months:
    Next Week – Pils, Das Bier, Cashmere Pils (German-style Pilsner hopped with Cashmere hops)
    Week of July 20th – Pils, Zwickelbier (Franconian-style Amber Lager), Rauch Hell (smoked Pale Lager collaboration with Wayfinder)
    Week of August 17th – Pils, Schwarz, Bobtoberfest!
    Week of September 14th – Pils, Harvest Lager (Pale Lager hopped with Willamette hops), Sticke
    Week of October 12th – Pils, Dunkel, Export Lager

26. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Wow! That's a pretty ambitious line-up. Am particularly interested in the Rauch Hell, Harvest Lager and Export Lager. I wonder if the Harvest Lager will be a fresh hop iteration. I'll bet they would do a good one.

27. vurt

vurt Poo-Bah (1,749) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

So they're re-releasing the Zwickelbier next month? Sounds good to me!

I can't wait for cans of Rauch Hell and Export Lager. Can't. Wait.

Also: I will make sure to not miss the Sticke this year.

28. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Meyvn (1,224) Sep 12, 2012 Oregon
    Society

I read that yesterday and highlighted all the same ones!

DefenCorps likes this.
  29. DefenCorps

Society Trader

Having had the Rauch Hell last year, I'm betting you will be pleased. And if you're not, the beers on me.

30. vurt

vurt Poo-Bah (1,749) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

I had it quite a few times at Orenco Taphouse last year. An easy-drinking beer, and no lie.

We will get together and buy each other beers when the world is open again and the pandemic is behind us. Maybe invite @John_M as well.

(Then I'm going on my Oregon-Washington-Idaho tour to tick all the NW BA's on my "People I Need to Buy a Pint For" list.)

31. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

As long as I get to pick the music!

vurt and unlikelyspiderperson like this.
  32. VashonGuy

VashonGuy Meyvn (1,309) Mar 7, 2013 Washington
    Trader

Hey, don't forget to include Vashon Island on your itinerary. You and Mrs. Vurt. We will throw in green chile, as well as beer.

33. DefenCorps

Society Trader

It looks like Occidental's new NW Pilsner collaborator is....Wayfinder! I am excited!

jakecattleco and vurt like this.
  34. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Looks like the day has finally arrived for the new John's market. Open today, as of 1100 am, per Instagram.

jason_nwx and DefenCorps like this.
  35. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Am at the new John's market now. Very nice space. Not quite as large as the old place, but everything is nicely laid out. Seems like a more conducive spot to have a beer. Bar area is larger, there's a small outdoor patio area, and then a large food truck area (where you can take your beer once you convert to a plastic cup). Current tap list is very impressive. I'm drinking a lovely glass of Prairie Xmas bomb, which is hitting the spot. For those who don't mind a touch of vinegar, horse blanket and head cheese in their beer, there's also some Cantillon foufoune on tap today. They also have delerium tremens on tap today, which I see all too infrequently in the NW unfortunately.

#315 John_M, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  36. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (6,524) Nov 16, 2012 Oregon
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

Reidrover and vurt like this.
  37. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

The current tap selection at the upper lip is a tad bit impressive. Apparently, they also have some of that nasty stuff from Cantillon.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  38. shelby415

Trader

Mind if I ask what some of the impressive things are? Their website and social media still list what they had on draft pre-covid.

39. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I'm seeing the same thing now. Maybe they were having some sort of special event yesterday? When I go check digitalpour now, I'm not seeing any of the beers I saw on tap there yesterday.

40. shelby415

Trader

Or could just be they aren't updating the apps yet. I didn't even realize they were open (thought it was just Bailey's)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.