Oregon Beer News (2022)

Discussion in 'US - West' started by guajolote, Jan 7, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Meyvn (1,225) Sep 12, 2012 Oregon
    Society

From Sasquatch's weekly email, they are closing their brewery/cidery. Apparently that means the NW Portland location, since they also said they are keeping the pub. (I'm paraphrasing here because their emails are images rather than text I can copy and paste.) They also make it sound the pub will be open long-term and may still be making beer there, but I would assume in much smaller amounts and probably no package. That's just a guess - they weren't real clear.

Reidrover likes this.
  2. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (7,359) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

LOL. Understood.

I can always check the book when I stop in for my stout fix, but given you're response, I have an idea what I'm probably going to see.

Reidrover likes this.
  3. derftron

derftron Devotee (451) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

$45. i justified it as a birthday present for myself haha. Also, its one of the last "classic" (IMO) HotD beers that i didnt have in my cellar.

Reidrover, John_M and DefenCorps like this.
  4. jason_nwx

Society

Here's a link to the New School with details. This makes it sound all brewing will end and the SW location will become just a pub, presumably with beer from multiple places. Can a transition like that work?

When Jeff Alworth shared this on Twitter he made it sound like this isn't going to be an isolated closing this winter.

Reidrover likes this.
  5. jason_nwx

Society

Is HOTD still selling bottles from their website? It still seems to indicate it's active, but I wasn't sure. Only noting because 2013 Matt is listed as for sale...

6. drone

drone Disciple (388) Jun 17, 2013 Oregon
    Trader

This article is pretty confusing. I'm hoping the SW pub stays open, it's been a mainstay in my rotation and always seems to be relatively busy.

7. jason_nwx

Society

drone likes this.
  8. ppilot

ppilot Initiate (134) Jul 17, 2009 Oregon

In Tap-Room consumption didn't even come close to recovering for a lot of places. Losing that high margin revenue is impossible to replace.

9. GoRacerXGo

GoRacerXGo Initiate (58) Oct 30, 2017 California

Yep, they're still selling but I think things have been quiet because they've been on vacation. I'll be in town from San Diego and emailed them about a pickup accommodation and answered the same day.

10. derftron

they are for sale.... and much cheaper!

11. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Come on now. The Apex has a reputation to maintain when it comes to pricing. After all, they're the home of $10 PtE pints.

#411 John_M, Nov 11, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2022
    sharpski likes this.
  12. jason_nwx

Society

DefenCorps and Reidrover like this.
  13. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (4,838) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

" Sales at the Portland location have been slow, but the McMinnville location is doing well, as is distribution."

Lot of competition no doubt, but one wonders how long they can take a loss.

14. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,277) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

Freudian autocorrect?

15. aventinus

aventinus Initiate (19) Jan 4, 2022 Oregon

I've been silent on beer news in town, but Function is a new beer bar out on Lovejoy and NW 23rd is bankrolled by a bottle shop in Beaverton who is doing month long tap takeovers of breweries. Hope I'm explaining their concept right! Anyways, this month they have some pretty nice Weldwerks offerings. Looking forward to what they can offer in town for what muscles they can flex.

DefenCorps, John_M and sharpski like this.
  16. Reidrover

Society

sharpski likes this.
  17. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Sigh. We're currently traversing the Drake passage, and the seas are very rough. I thought I'd caught all the typos, but...

18. guajolote

guajolote Disciple (319) Sep 12, 2008 Oregon

Not too shabby:

January: HenHouse
    February: Tripping Animals
    March: Humble Sea
    April: RaR
    May: Monkish
    June: The Veil
    July: Cellarmaker

https://www.oregonlive.com/beer/202...onian_sf&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

19. derftron

Not sure if this is at all PDX Trader Joe’s or not, but the Garden Home TJs has bottles of pFriem bourbon barrel stout for $7.99. Great beer at a helluva price !

Reidrover, John_M, jason_nwx and 4 others like this.
  20. jason_nwx

Society

I picked up two at the TJ's on Beaverton-Hillsdale for the same price, so it must be a standard price for them? I agree - that's a steal.

DefenCorps, John_M and vurt like this.
  21. derftron

im guessing they probably took a large inventory off the hands of somebody (pFriem, Columbia distributing etc.) at a good discount. works for me!

jason_nwx likes this.
  22. jason_nwx

Society

It's like Breakside called me and asked what I wanted to see next in their lineup. Two of each, please.

(Also: when is Beaverton opening?!)

23. vurt

vurt Poo-Bah (1,751) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

I forgot to get a new photo of the site when I was at Ex Novo last Sunday, but here's a pic of their progress as of October 21:

[​IMG]

afrokaze, Reidrover and jason_nwx like this.
  24. jason_nwx

Society

Actual construction!!! :astonished:

afrokaze likes this.
  25. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (6,369) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Society Trader

I may or may not be breathing heavily right now.

jason_nwx, afrokaze and Reidrover like this.
  26. drone

Trader

Jsimansk, vurt, DefenCorps and 4 others like this.
  27. aventinus

aventinus Initiate (19) Jan 4, 2022 Oregon

What's this? Faction from Alameda Island in the Bay Area?!

28. Reidrover

Society

I think the poster meant Binary brewing?

29. SeaAle

SeaAle Disciple (334) Jun 24, 2012 Oregon

He meant Fracture Brewing. I wish it was Faction.

afrokaze, vurt, drone and 1 other person like this.
  30. drone

Trader

vurt and jason_nwx like this.
  31. sloejams

sloejams Crusader (765) Oct 8, 2004 Oregon
    Trader

Looks like the new Gigantic in the former Hawthorne Fish House is open. This one has food. I hope to check it out soon.

32. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Happy Thanksgiving one and all. Here's what's on tap for Black Friday around PDX. At least what I've been able to discover so far.

Belmont Station is holding a Fremont tap take over, when they'll have 8 different BA beers on tap, including a 4 year Rusty Nail vertical. The email indicated it would take place from 5-8, but the online tap list indicates they're already on tap.

Both John's are also doing a Fremont tasting event, ostensibly from 2-4. They're also doing some sort of Bruery pre-sale, for beers they say are typically only available to club members. The specific beers aren't listed on their website, so it's anyone's guess what this might entail (probably not bottles of Black Tuesday reserve, but hey... who knows?!?!).

I'll finish with a Back Friday quiz. How can you tell you've had just a tad too much Thanksgiving turkey and fixings? When you decide you need to go change into something more comfortable, because the no waist band sweat pants you've been wearing all afternoon and evening are feeling just a bit too tight to properly enjoy lounging on the couch.

Cheers!

#432 John_M, Nov 25, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
  33. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Currently over at John's at Multnomah, and can provide an update. They have the new 2022 BCBS on tap, as well as cantillon kriek (6 ounce pours for $8 I believe), 2022 Adam and Bruery bananas imp stout.

The Bruery pre-sale selection is pretty small, and seems to largely include some of their less popular limited release offerings (which perhaps explains their availability). In any event, the selection consists of bananas, freckles, baked on the bayou, new American oak Sucre, spontanaheim, piesredquare, creme bruelay, cordial bbls, and two vintages of bierresnap.

The John's here in Multnomah has a very large selection of ba Fremont bottle stuff from various prior vintages. Prices are in the $25-$26 range, which isn't bad for John's.

#433 John_M, Nov 25, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
  34. heyhiggi

heyhiggi Initiate (90) Sep 6, 2014 Oregon
    Trader

Any leads on BCBS variant bottles

BBThunderbolt and snaotheus like this.
  35. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Just rumors. John's is sold out, but I've heard that there are other local bars that still have bottles. Was told that PDX got bottles of the regular, coffee and anniversary variants,. Supposedly Washington got additional variants, and I was told the TW in Vancouver got a very large shipment of BCS stuff. Sorry, that's all I know.

Good luck!

snaotheus and vurt like this.
  36. vurt

Society

ABV in Hillsboro had a notice on their door about BCBS bottles when I stopped in last weekend.

I didn't pay too much attention because BCBS isn't my thang, but I did see that they expected to get the Anniversary variant, and that the price was $49.99.

I chuckled.

10 minutes later I picked up a 22 oz. bottle of barrel-aged blended stout from Breakside for $9.

Nine. Dollars.

37. vurt

Society

As of mid-afternoon today (Sunday, Nov. 27), ABV still had Coffee BCBS and regular BCBS.

[​IMG]

And Abyss too, as you can see.

I didn't check the prices.

38. jason_nwx

Society

I wasn't online much this past weekend, but New Seasons had 20% off select BA beers. Last year they had BCBS and it was 20% off, but not BCBS this year. However, they did have three versions of Gigantic's Most Most Premium RIS (bourbon, rye, scotch) - the regular price is $10/500ml bottle (which in itself is a deal), so bottles of those for $8 are a damn steal. Also picked up Crux Tough Love, 2021 Gigantic Massive!, and Breakside's Sweet Dreams of Bombast, all for the same price or less (mostly less) than a bottle of BCBS. And they had many different BA pFriem bottles for $7.99 each.

39. jason_nwx

Society

Anyone purchase a mystery beer advent calendar from a bottle shop? Were you pleased with the variety and value? Curious because both Belmont Station ($125/24 beers) and Uptown Beer ($100/24 beers) have them this year.

Migration is doing a neat little box, too ($80/20 beers). I like Frankie, but I doubt I need 12 Cannonball Reds.

40. Reidrover

Society

I would go with Uptown, but they seem to have sold out.
    OK Nov 28th was the end date..duh!

snaotheus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.