Oregon Growler Fill Question

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by flexabull, Mar 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flexabull

flexabull Poo-Bah (2,348) Mar 9, 2006 California

Is this allowed at any bar? Is it up to the business to decide if they want to do it or not? (I assume they need an off sale license?)

Just curious, because my brother is heading to Bend today armed with quite a few empty growlers.

Thanks!

2. ramnuts

ramnuts Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2009 Oregon

flexabull likes this.
  3. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Disciple (313) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

Pretty much all the breweries will fill growlers, bars are hit or miss. You could also send your borther here:

http://www.thegrowlerguys.com/

At the moment they have Boneyard RPM, Hop Venom, and Diablo Roja, all of which are worth buying.

flexabull likes this.
  4. flexabull

I know Boneyard is his first stop, I'll ask him to check out growler guys too.

So, it's up to individual pubs/bars to decide if they fill or not?

5. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,502) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

That's correct. Also be aware that certain bars (at least in the past) will only fill certain types of containers. So depending upon what your brother has with him, even if a bar will generally allow you to fill a growler, they may not fill the container he has with him. My understanding is that this has more to do with spillage and lost beer during pouring, as opposed to any labeling or "we only fill our own growler" issues.

flexabull likes this.
  6. flexabull

I'm pretty sure he's just taking 64 oz screw tops. One other question, will places do a 1/2 fill into a 64 or do you have to use a 32 oz growlerette? I think Suge and Notorious are both on at BY, but I'm pretty sure they don't fill 64 oz with those two.

Thanks guys.

7. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Disciple (313) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

I suspect they won't do a "half fill" out of concern for the beer going flat, but it never hurts to ask. Boneyard does have 32oz grenades for sale for a couple bucks a pop.

flexabull likes this.
  8. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,502) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

I honestly don't know. Most places I've been to say they won't, or don't want to fill, a 64 ounce growler half way. Of course that's always been at places that carry and/or fill 32 ounce containers. My guess is that they'll probably try to get you to buy the glassware if you don't have a 32 ounce container (assuming they won't do a 64 ounce fill of a particular beer). However, that's just speculation on my part.

In my experience, most places just say they flat out won't fill a growler of certain beers, if the beer in question is very limited or just too expensive/rare. That being said, I know of at least one place in PDX that will do a growler fill of notorious, and several places in Tacoma that would fill a growler of Suge. So I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that BY will do a growler fill of those beers at the brewery.

Last time I was at Pint Defiance in Tacoma, I said to hell with it, and just bought myself a 32 ounce container. It's really not good for me to drink an entire 64 ounce growler of RPM at a sitting anyway, and that's certainly what I would do if I had 64 ounces of RPM goodness sitting in my fridge.

flexabull likes this.
  9. flexabull

My brother spoke to BY on the phone the other day and they said they'd fill 32 oz of those two, but not 64 oz worth. That is why I wondered if I had to buy 32s or not. But since they are only a few bucks a pop, I'll just have him buy a couple of those.

Can't wait for my mini growlers, just in time for March Madness on Tuesday night!

10. Chou

Chou Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2012 Oregon

Some breweries will only fill their own growlers, per... law, I think... others just find ways to sidestep it. Something to watch out for?

11. honkduh

honkduh Aspirant (228) Jun 2, 2011 Oregon

Isn't that a CA law though?

12. Chou

Chou Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2012 Oregon

That does sound more appropriate, since Oregon is pretty lax... there are carts filling growlers... but I could have sworn I recently saw a Portland area brewery stating it would only fill up its own growlers, and that it was "not their rule." But maybe it was their rule, forcing people to buy their growlers with scare tactics. Or maybe they were misreading something. I can't remember which brewery it was, now, though.

13. MattyPrize

MattyPrize Initiate (119) Jul 7, 2011 Oregon
    Trader

BY MIGHT have Notorious, as it's pretty popular. The best growler fills besided that would be Growler Guys on the corner of hwy 20 and 27th street. Bend has TONS of growler stations, but growler guys is the best.

14. guajolote

guajolote Aspirant (293) Sep 12, 2008 Oregon

I haven't run into this issue. If a Portland brewery said they can only fill their growlers, that's their policy. I've had several not-from-that-brewery growlers filled at breweries around Oregon without a problem.

15. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Initiate (129) Jun 3, 2005 Oregon

Only place I've ever seen where you can fill growlers at a gas station. :confused:

16. flexabull

My brother just texted me, growlerette of Notorious and growler of Hop Venom will be here tomorrow!

17. MattyPrize

MattyPrize Initiate (119) Jul 7, 2011 Oregon
    Trader

Welcome to Bend. I love living here!!

flexabull and beertunes like this.
  18. AugiePrimrose

AugiePrimrose Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2009 Illinois

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.