Organic Beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 57md, Apr 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 57md

57md Poo-Bah (3,001) Aug 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society

From time to time, I sample a new organic beer because I really like the philosophy behind organic food and drink.

However, with the exception of Wolaver's Alta Gracia Porter and Fish Tale's Amber, I have been unsuccessful at finding organic beers that I truly enjoy. Sadly, most of them seem to come up short in the flavor department.

It strikes me that there should be nothing particular that causes organic beers to have a flat flavor yet so many of them do. Anyone else notice this or is it just me?

mtvolkens likes this.
  2. thehyperduck

thehyperduck Poo-Bah (4,002) Feb 26, 2006 Canada
    Society Trader

The Samuel Smith's organic fruit beers are pretty good (coming from a guy who generally doesn't like fruit beers all that much).

Other than that, I'd probably agree with you. Using the word "organic" in the beer's name is no more indicative of the beer's quality than using the word "premium". I've had plenty of underwhelming organic beers.

mtvolkens likes this.
  3. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,772) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I suspect that the cost of the 'certified organic' ingredients keep your better breweries from wanting to use them in return for the lack of perceived marketing and sales effect that they might want to achieve. So the brewers who do spring for these ingredients may not have the skills/recipes be able to produce a product that hits a home run to attract us drinkers.

Providence likes this.
  4. Stagga_Lee

Stagga_Lee Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2014 Massachusetts

OP, have you tried anything from Peak Organic ever? Their packs and tall bottles are both great, with fine options favoring either malt or hops.

Providence likes this.
  5. Providence

Providence Crusader (706) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

I agree that there is no reason why an organic beer can't be just as tasty as any of the best craft brews out there. As @Mothergoose03 alluded to, organic food and drink comes at a cost. That cost may be holding the beers' potential back, be it in the skill of the brewer, in the equipment used to brew or in the amount of ingredients one can use (not to mention the type of ingredients, as I would imagine some hops and malts, if not most, aren't even available in an organic option).

Stagga_Lee and PapaGoose03 like this.
  6. Providence

Providence Crusader (706) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

Peak Organic Fresh Cut Pils is damn good.

Stagga_Lee likes this.
  7. chimneyjim

chimneyjim Initiate (169) Jun 23, 2004 Oregon

8. Beer_Loving_Brandon

Beer_Loving_Brandon Initiate (0) Jan 5, 2015 Mississippi

Bought "Organic IPA" (Napa Smith) on accident awhile back because it was hiding in a 4pk of Hoppageddon.

Turns out, it was great. So much so that I found some more and bought it.

I just wish they would name it something else because I have a serious dislike for the "organic" moniker and the associations that come with it.

9. pat61

pat61 Poo-Bah (5,858) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota
    Society

There is no technical reason why organic beer can't be every bit as good as regular beer but practically it might be a little tough. Most of the malt houses I have looked at are fairly large scale operations driven by BMC and large craft brewers. If your silos hold 100,000 or more bushels and your kilns do 7,000 bushel a batch is there enouigh demand out there for organic barley to fill a silo or even a kiln? The same would go for other ingredients.

10. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,834) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Fish Tale has a whole organic beer line-up

chimneyjim likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.