Oskar Blues Barrel-Aged Ten Fidy Hits Wide Distribution This November

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Bitterbill, Oct 25, 2018.

1. MoreBeer4me

MoreBeer4me Aspirant (271) Aug 25, 2014 New Jersey
    Trader

Barrel Aged! Its like the trendy buzz term today.

2. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,208) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium Trader

Yeah, I reckon it is.

I like it almost as much as the non BA. :wink:

3. DoghouseReilly3946

DoghouseReilly3946 Initiate (137) Aug 17, 2018 Kentucky

Awesome, I hope it sees wide distro as my area didn't recieve any last year.

Lahey, Bitterbill and Harrison8 like this.
  4. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,891) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

One of my favorite annual BA releases. Very eager to get a fresh pour in my glass and stuff a few into the cellar.

5. Bitterbill

Premium Trader

You might even get the chance to try it on draught if you haven't already .
    Stove Pipe cans were made for beers like this, imho.

6. Harrison8

Premium Trader

I stumbled into BA Ten Fidy once a date. It was her round to pay. The bartender warned me it was $12, but I went through with my order.

No regrets.

Top 5 best dates I've been on even though I never heard back from her. :rolling_eyes:

7. elohim

elohim Initiate (183) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Trader

This is good but the java version is even better imo

8. Bitterbill

Premium Trader

I doubt that I'll ever see that so I'll be satisfied with what I get. Btw, I haven't seen the regular TEN FIDY in months. What's up with that??

9. Harrison8

Premium Trader

Missouri is the "show me state", so feel free to prove your claim with some real-world experience for me :wink:

Isn't it only released once a year?

ECOBOOSTINST and Bitterbill like this.
  10. Bitterbill

Premium Trader

Yeah but, I'm used to seeing it in Casper year round.

Harrison8 likes this.
  11. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (250) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

Even hitting my area once last year and the yr prior, I thought it was considered ‘wide’. News release seems dated lol.

I actually don’t care for the barrel influence here. I’ve let one or two cans go unfinished (drinking solo can do that to you). Regular 1050 will remain in my heart forever though. The BA version was a nice one or two year try but I won’t do that again. Unless of course the place I buy it at sells it in 4 packs for $13 lol.

I ran through some black note and parabola and high west a weekend or two back, and the barrel character is just not doing it for me lately.

Bitterbill likes this.
  12. Harrison8

Premium Trader

For whatever it's worth, our market sees Ten Fidy pretty heavily when it gets released and then tricks down to a random 4-pack here and there several months later. That timeline seems to be getting shorter each release.

ECOBOOSTINST and Bitterbill like this.
  13. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,635) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

My last one was a soy bomb, I can't get that smell and taste to go away. Ugh, worst beer experience in a long time, well some of he local stuff here is real shit sometimes too.

14. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (780) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado

This beer is incredible.

Dan_K likes this.
  15. flaskman

flaskman Devotee (458) Aug 3, 2015 New York
    Premium

This is another one that I have never seen but would LOVE to try.

Bitterbill likes this.
  16. Beersnob724

Beersnob724 Initiate (113) Jan 11, 2016 Ohio

This is some sorta joke right. You can’t be serious.

17. jkblr

jkblr Meyvn (1,349) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Premium Trader

I can buy a four pack of Central Waters BA stout or a 19.2oz can from Oskar Blues for the same money. I bought a can last year for the experience, but won't ever do it again. Great beer, rough price point.

Lucular, DIM, ovaltine and 2 others like this.
  18. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,635) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

CW makes great beers.

scream, ovaltine and Milktoast75 like this.
  19. raynmoon

$12/19.2oz for BBA Ten Fidy is "rough?" Yeah, rough for all the other brewers who can't compete.

20. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (673) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Equal to a $45 six pack , that’s pretty rough considering what a lot of BA 4 packs sell for.

Enjoy

21. msscott1973

msscott1973 Disciple (392) Dec 28, 2013 North Carolina

Worth it!

Harrison8 likes this.
  22. elohim

Trader

Personally I am more likely to pick up a can of BA ten fidy than a ~$25 4-pack of something similar from their competition. While the price may be a bit more per ounce the total cost of admission is cheaper and something I am willing to pay more frequently especially since my store doesn't break the 4-packs of BA stouts into singles. I also think the 19.2 ounce format is superior to 22 and 25 ounce bottles but I guess that is personal preference.

raynmoon likes this.
  23. Milktoast75

Milktoast75 Disciple (395) Oct 27, 2012 Wisconsin
    Premium

Why do big name b/as require a big name price?
    Central Waters makes very good, great in my opinion, but with a doable price point.
    Is it production costs, promo costs that makes Oskar's charge so damn much or just because they can?

24. elohim

Trader

Ten Fidy is more or less in line with the rest of the BA stout market. $12 for a stovepipe can really isn't that bad imo, it is cheaper $/oz than Mexican Cake which isn't even BA and is also cheaper than KBS and CBS bombers. Plus it is worth taking into consideration Ten Fidy isn't a budget beer to begin with, even the non-BA version sells for $15/4 pack and also factor in that BA Ten Fidy is a Top 200 beer. If I had to guess I'd say the answer to your question is a bit of both, the beer costs more to produce (cost of barrels, cost of storage) and they also want to make a profit so they set the price a bit higher. Prices are so obnoxious for some of the other popular big name BA stouts I simply can't get angry over $12 for a 19.2 ounce can of a world class BA stout

25. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,391) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

Sadly I was not overly happy with my last can. Now that others have as good a product its not that special. I am working on some Tombstone Imperial Russian Stout at 15.5% ABV, this Non-BA is miles ahead of Ten Fidy in my humble opinion and I can get double the serving for same $$. It (Fidy) seemed to not move as fast last time around, my usual guys had it sitting for a long time.

nc41 likes this.
  26. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,391) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

I assume because the can, people pay it and why change it now. I agree with you, my local guys and others make a dam good beer very close to this and price is way lower and fresher. I like Ted Fidy so not hating on them, just times change I guess.

27. BiddzzBA

BiddzzBA Initiate (26) Jan 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

Bad can then. Stuff is spectacular.

28. Daveshek28

Daveshek28 Initiate (185) Nov 10, 2015 New York

I do like the BA ten fidy, but must say I like the original best.

29. raynmoon

Like someone else said: "price of admission." We can multiple any price into a larger format to make it sound like a bad deal: Prairie Bomb $60 6-pack, knee deep Simtra $30 6-pack etc.

Enjoy.

Bitterbill likes this.
  30. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Initiate (195) Dec 24, 2011 Texas

Prairie beers have been horrendously priced as far back as I can remember, not a great example.

waltari likes this.
  31. raynmoon

Just saying. I don't think it's a fair practice to change format pricing and then evaluate its worth.

$12 BA ten fidy in that format is way cheaper than any/ most similar products in the large bottle format.

If they sold it in 4 packs or 6 packs, then I'm sure they'd have the price reflect it's competition in the market.

Lagunitas on the other hand... they just don't make money on those BA 6 packs. But it's fun for us.

readyski likes this.
  32. GetTheYayo

GetTheYayo Devotee (417) Aug 26, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Um not really. The BA market has been pretty robust for years now.

BA Ten Fidy is one of the few beers where I actually like the non-BA version better.

I was at the Oskar Blues taproom in Boulder, CO last week and picked up a can of the Mocha BA Ten Fidy. Again, it was just OK.

By far the worst beer I've had recently is Oskar Blues' Rum Barrel Aged Death By Coconut. Sounds so good but it tasted like turpentine.

MonkeyBread, DonicBoom and Bitterbill like this.
  33. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Initiate (195) Dec 24, 2011 Texas

Well Lagunitas is a whole separate issue in terms of me not wanting to purchase their beer because of ownership.

Milktoast75 and raynmoon like this.
  34. Obsidian81

Obsidian81 Initiate (32) Mar 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I had this in 2016 and was extremely impressed. I loved the balance of the base beer and noticeable barrel notes. I've passed the last two years because I've got way too many barrel aged stouts in my fridge that I haven't drank yet.

Bitterbill likes this.
  35. Mongrel

Mongrel Crusader (725) Feb 14, 2013 Maryland

How is this with a little age on it? I'm still seeing cans from last year.

36. rypkr

rypkr Champion (842) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Bad. Avoid it.

Its stellar fresh, but loses 75% of the barrel in a year and tastes more like regular ten fidy.

guinness77 likes this.
  37. raynmoon

I disagree.

38. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,108) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium Trader

Any word on Rum Barrel Aged Fidy? When it does come out, it has been brewery-only but I'm still holding out hope some will hit distribution at some point.

39. raynmoon

I have low hopes. We'd likely see Rum Death by Coconut before any Fidy variants. :slight_frown:

bbtkd likes this.