Oskar Blues Brewery Announces 2020 Barrel Aged Series

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Jason, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Jason

Jason Founder (8,525) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

Oskar Blues Brewery Announces 2020 Barrel Aged Series

[​IMG]

Barrel Aged Beers Made With Spinbot 50000 Technology & Premium Ingredients Now Available Nationwide

Longmont, Colo. (April 2, 2020) Oskar Blues Brewery announces the BA20 series, a pantheon of limited release barrel-aged beers. The inaugural entry, All Monde, is being made available nationwide in 4-packs of 12 oz. cans starting now.

After experimenting for years with small-batch barrel aged beers and the nationally-distributed Bourbon Barrel Aged Ten FIDY Imperial Stout, Oskar Blues brewers were stoked to receive a new tool in their brew kit - the Spinbot 5000. The brewers jam Spinbot full of premium ingredients, then circulate beer through it for hours or days at a time for maximum flavor transfer.

To make All Monde, BA20 Volume 1, the shiny new Spinbot is packed with toasted almonds and Madagascar vanilla beans. A big time imperial stout racked in bourbon barrels for nine oaky months is swirled through until the nutty and sweet flavors are maximized to their full potential. The result is a barrel aged imperial stout with the toasty almond and vanilla flavor dials turned to eleven.

For this new series, Oskar Blues diverges from their classic can designs, calling on trippy illustrations in earthy tones, accented by gold lids. Melty, psychedelic figures groove together around a jumble of vanilla flowers and almonds - a hint at the beer’s all-star ingredients.

All Monde is the first of four volumes in the series to be released in 2020, all of which will revolve around barrel-aged boldness and choice ingredients. Future entries in the BA20 Series will be announced later this year. In the meantime, look for All Monde on shelves nationwide in 4-packs of 12 oz. cans starting now.

WWW.OSKARBLUES.COM
    About Oskar Blues Brewery
    Founded by Dale Katechis in 1997 in Lyons, Colorado, Oskar Blues Brewery launched the craft-beer-in-a-can apocalypse with their hand-canned flagship brew, Dale’s Pale Ale. Today, Oskar Blues operates breweries in Colorado, North Carolina and Texas featuring Dale’s Pale Ale as the nation’s #3 top-selling craft can six-pack at U.S. supermarkets. Oskar Blues is available nationwide in the US and in over 20 countries. Oskar Blues Brewery is a proud member of CANarchy, a disruptive collective of like-minded craft brewers dedicated to bringing high-quality, innovative flavors to drinkers in the name of independent craft beer.

2. eppCOS

eppCOS Meyvn (1,377) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Seeking this one out, for sure.
    Vanilla and almonds ?
    YEP YEP YEP. Good to know about this and the "timing" seems good for those us stuck at home.

HoppingMadMonk and Scotchboy like this.
  3. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (2,097) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

Sounds good, I will snag this when around, sounds like it should be floating into stores soon which is cool, cheers.

4. AmeriCanadian

AmeriCanadian Champion (831) Jul 5, 2014 Tennessee

Excited to see what they come up with for this series. Really hope they work Bamburana into the mix. One of the best and most unique (in a good way) beers I had in 2019, which I believe was originally advertised as a year-round -- or at least seasonal -- offering, but has since disappeared. I realize it was a collaboration beer with Cigar City, but hopefully that doesn't prevent it from inclusion in something like this.

5. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,196) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

I hope that it makes its way to Casper.

6. DISKORD

DISKORD Devotee (450) Feb 28, 2017 South Carolina

I'll believe it, when I see it. We were told that Bamburana was a "nationwide" release, but some states never saw a single can of it.

KRug, ChrisMon02, keithmurray and 3 others like this.
  7. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,196) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Yeah, I got it in a trade cuz it never showed up in Casper. Thanks @JayWhitson !

JayWhitson and DISKORD like this.
  8. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Aspirant (245) Aug 10, 2013 Oklahoma

So it's basically liquid Almond Joy, that been barrel-aged? I can get behind that. Now I just have to hope that one of the liquor stores will sell it by the can, because I don't feel like throwing down $20+ on a 4-pack. Sometime you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't.

KRug, eppCOS, Junior and 3 others like this.
  9. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (349) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

So, is this BA Ten Fidy or not? Same 12.5% abv as BATF.

Just curious, I'll be buying wither way

KRug and keithmurray like this.
  10. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (803) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I’m in.

never saw Bam but hope it arrives here.

I need to find a place that does curbside and has this beer.

enjoy

Bitterbill and scream like this.
  11. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (7,694) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

They're apparently following the trend of others like Founders, with a series of BA beers throughout the year. This one sounds real good, and I hope we get it and Bamburana if it's in the series. The only issue I have with this is the puny 12oz cans. I drink so many 16oz cans lately that I feel robbed when I have a 12oz beer, no matter how strong.

Bitterbill, Barettes and Argail like this.
  12. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,366) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

It seems possible that ten fidy is the base beer but also I would imagine (and hope?) that they would tweak the base beers to best compliment the flavorings they are using. Obviously their big stout making is going to be heavily influenced by their experience making ten fidy either way. I imagine this will be pretty tasty if they keep it bitter enough

Prince_Casual likes this.
  13. Beertsipper

Beertsipper Devotee (451) Nov 18, 2008 New York

If it's brewed with lactose, I'm screwed.

14. bbtkd

Society Trader

The signature BA Fidy boldness falls of quickly after six-months age, so I hope they use a base beer that ages well. I wondered about Bamburana too since it was so much better fresh. I recently had my last Bamburana and with 15 months' age it was merely outstanding.

Bitterbill and BoldCars like this.
  15. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,379) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Need it, but probably won’t get to try this

Bitterbill likes this.
  16. BoldCars

BoldCars Initiate (41) Apr 5, 2018 Maryland

Absolutely loved Bamburana!!! Truly hope they bring it back

17. BoldCars

Bamburana was liquid almond joy for me. One of the most delicious beers I've ever tasted

18. BoldCars

Still have one or two Bamburana left... Should probably enjoy them soon haha

Bitterbill and bbtkd like this.
  19. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (2,801) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

Where are you on PA? Still some around Lancaster. Bamburana was phenomenal.

Hope you get to enjoy.

Bitterbill likes this.
  20. bbtkd

Society Trader

Yup. Much of the "beers improve with age" theory is unsubstantiated. Beer changes with age, and generally degrade from what the brewers intended, though whether improved or degraded is highly subjective. I've had aged BA Abyss that tasted like cardboard after seven years, and a one year old FBS that tasted like green peppers, but I like what happens to Founders CBS and Prairie Pirate Bomb with six months or more age. Brett beers are generally intended to "mature" with age - to a point.

BCBS and variants have labeling encouraging aging, and many folks tout how well they age after 10+ years. Two exceptions were 2018 Midnight Orange and 2018 Vanilla. About nine months after bottling, reports surfaced that the Orange and Vanilla flavors had fallen off substantially. I drank through most of mine, and they were a shadow of how they were fresh. The 2019 BCBS Café de Olla seems to have fallen off a bit already.

21. BoldCars

Completely agree about CBS, has more highlighted maple notes with age. I think I have a 2017 Coffee BCBS still aging. Should be interesting to see what of the coffee is left.

KRug, unlikelyspiderperson and bbtkd like this.
  22. Fordcoyote15

Fordcoyote15 Savant (939) Nov 19, 2011 Kentucky
    Trader

2017 CBS was much better than 2018 fresh and aged. It's not so much that its improved with age it's just that 2018 was lackluster in comparison.

23. Barettes

Barettes Aspirant (286) Aug 4, 2019 Washington
    Society Trader

kdales77 and MaltheadWeirdo like this.
  24. jloomis

jloomis Aspirant (295) Jan 6, 2010 Florida
    Trader

Did this ever get released?
    Haven’t seen it in FL

redeemer likes this.
  25. JuliusPepperwood

JuliusPepperwood Aspirant (224) Jul 21, 2013 North Carolina

I live 45min from the Brevard, NC brewery and I still haven't seen the last 3 or 4 releases Oskar Blues has advertised. Not sure what is going on.

26. jloomis

jloomis Aspirant (295) Jan 6, 2010 Florida
    Trader

Thanks for the input.
    Weird I wonder if this ever got released

27. eppCOS

eppCOS Meyvn (1,377) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

I live in Colorado, and STILL no sightings of this 2 months on.

28. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (2,801) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

Came to PA a couple of months ago, pretty damn good too. Hope you find it.

jloomis likes this.