Oskar Blues Brewery Introduces Steep Coast Zappa Double IPA

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by ESHBG, Jul 12, 2019.

1. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (274) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

https://thefullpint.com/beer-news/oskar-blues-brewery-introduces-steep-coast-zappa-double-ipa/

JediMasterLenin and eppCOS like this.
  2. eppCOS

eppCOS Savant (997) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Definitely seeking this one out - all around the Denver area, but none in COS yet (sad).

3. oldbean

oldbean Disciple (343) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

Really doubling down on pointless violations of IP law after the GnR thing, huh?

zid likes this.
  4. zid

zid Meyvn (1,330) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

The name of the beer(s) is Steep Coast and it's a series of single hop beers. Zappa hops were named after Frank Zappa, supposedly in collaboration with the Zappa family, and the hop name is trademarked. I have no idea what the complications are if a brewer puts the hop name on their label in association with the name of the beer.

denver10, stevepat, Amendm and 2 others like this.
  5. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,286) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

As long as the cans mention "Strata", like the one displayed in the article's photograph they should be fine either way. :wink:

jesskidden likes this.
  6. oldbean

oldbean Disciple (343) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

That's a little better I guess but I still don't know why we're naming beer things after a guy who hated beer.

SierraNevallagash and zid like this.
  7. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,850) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Actual can label
    [​IMG]
    Yeah, you'd think they put the little ™ or ® - which ever applies - after the Zappa name... And here I thought it was a reference to Steven Point's long time brewmaster :grin: (a relative IIRC).

#7 jesskidden, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Bitterbill, Amendm, zid and 1 other person like this.
  8. SierraNevallagash

SierraNevallagash Devotee (470) Sep 23, 2018 Maine
    Trader

I keep wondering if these sort of "hybrid" IPAs - the ones that sort of straddle the divide between East and West Coast traits, will ever be marketed with a certain distinction. Most of us can label a West Coast IPA or a New England IPA just by observing its characteristics, but this style seems to borrow equally from both. Beers like Foundation Epiphany, a lot of Maine Beer Co. stuff, Elysian Space Dust, Kane, Lawson's, etc... They all kind of fall right in the middle of the two style distinctions. Personally, it's probably my personal favourite variety of IPAs. Is this on track to become a trend? How will they be marketed? Hazy West Coast IPAs? Bitter New England IPAs with some Caramel Malt? Not very catchy. I'm interested to see if this will evolve into something, or simply remain a niche sub-category of hoppy beer.

It's a brave new world.

Amendm likes this.
  9. Amendm

Amendm Zealot (577) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

As an Oskar Blues fan and a huge Zappa fan I'm looking for this one, hybrid or not.

Milktoast75 likes this.
  10. Amendm

Amendm Zealot (577) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

He like beer as the mean bad biker, and titties.

Milktoast75 likes this.