Oskar Blues Brewery's Barrel-Aged Ten FIDY Imperial Stout is Back for Winter 2019

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,893) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

Anticipated Seasonal Brew to be Released Nationwide Starting Mid-November

Longmont, Colo. (November 13, 2019) Oskar Blues Brewery announces the seasonal return of Barrel-Aged Ten FIDY Imperial Stout. This massive 12.5% ABV roasty malt bomb will be distributed nationally on draft and in four-packs of 12 oz. cans. Barrel-Aged Ten FIDY season starts in mid-November and extends into the winter months of 2020 for your fireside sipping pleasure.

The brewing wizards at Oskar Blues fill bourbon barrels with Ten FIDY Imperial Stout and then patiently wait a full eight months while the wood works its magic. During that time, the classic stout is infused with deep, rich flavors of vanilla, bourbon and oak. For a big beer that’s layered with complexity, Barrel-Aged Ten FIDY is balanced and temperate on the palate, the extended stay in-barrel ensuring a smooth, warm drinking experience perfect for long, cold winter nights.

“Ten FIDY is a complicated beer for our brewers but they really dig into the behemoth task of delivering a big-time stout,” said Tim Matthews, Head of Brewing Operations for Oskar Blues Brewery. “Barrel-aging ups the ante even further - ramping up the chocolate, coffee and roasted notes to the maximum.”

To mark the return of Barrel-Aged Ten FIDY, Oskar Blues taprooms are throwing open the barrel-aged vaults on Black Friday, November 29, and releasing vintage beers from years past. Taprooms in Boulder, Colorado, Longmont, Colorado, and Brevard, North Carolina, will sell variety four-packs of rare or impossible-to-find barrel-aged varieties of Ten FIDY including: JAHvanilla, Salted Caramel, Chocolate Hazelnut Praline, Java and more. Availability subject to change.

Big flavor. Big ABV. Big FIDY energy. Look for Barrel-Aged Ten Fidy Imperial Stout on shelves near you starting mid-November or track it down via the beerfinder.

###

2. Lucular

Lucular Poo-Bah (2,586) Jun 20, 2014 Maryland
    Trader

Nice! Glad to see 12 oz 4-packs replacing the stovepipe cans.

3. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Zealot (509) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

On the lookout for it in Norfolk VA

JediMasterLenin likes this.
  4. mogulskier

mogulskier Initiate (68) Feb 3, 2019 California

This is awesome. I've been so awaiting BA Ten Fidy to make a return this year. This is in the top 5 of the very best BA stouts I've ever had.

Looking forward to it.

5. Hinda65

Hinda65 Initiate (190) May 7, 2017 Utah
    Trader

Damn it. I love the 19oz can. Sometimes 19oz is just right.

6. scream

scream Meyvn (1,216) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin
    Society

Never had this before and will be anxious to try it, especially in a 12 oz. format.

7. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Meyvn (1,156) Mar 3, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

It's actually my highest rated beer yet. I'm not gonna get too excited though ... haven't seen any ba Ten Fidy come around these parts in 2 maybe 3 years now.

Gemini6, flat_lander and Bitterbill like this.
  8. adrock314

adrock314 Crusader (730) Apr 14, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I'm still sitting on a 6pack of stovepipes from the last release. I guess Oskar Blues thinks I need to drink faster. Who am I to argue? Good decision to go to 12 ouncers though. Bummed I'm not more proximal to one of the taproom locations, I'd love to snag some of those vintage variants :heart_eyes:

Junior likes this.
  9. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,343) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Price Point?

10. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (2,734) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

This beer is magnificent, grateful to see it sensibly packaged.

Jaycase likes this.
  11. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,913) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

I'm looking forward to it again. Fresh it's wonderful. Don't know aboot cellaring it.

12. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,879) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

I agree. Bombers are too damn big, but for some reason stovepipes aren't, maybe because they're under 20oz, just barely. I do like the 12oz option though, I'll have to pick a pack up. For those of you who will be trying it for the first time, my experience - and others - is that BA Fidy is best fresh, and by 6 months old it starts to lose it's boldness. Fresh, it really smacks you in the face, in the nicest possible way. At one year old it's only outstanding. Sure wish they'd distribute Rum BA Fidy and some of the other variants that are brewery only.

maximum12 and Bitterbill like this.
  13. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,993) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

The big cans were ridiculous to begin with fir the style of beer. Those cans imo are the worst possible way to package a beer, only practical if you have a share partner.

Junior, the_bavarian and jasonmason like this.
  14. coquet

coquet Initiate (102) Aug 31, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

Weren't prior releases consistently 12.9%? I had gotten used to referring to it as Twelve NINY.

Gemini6 and Steve_Studnuts like this.
  15. flat_lander

flat_lander Zealot (589) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Really glad to see this moving to 12 oz cans.

Bet I can fix that for ya!

Gemini6 and GOBLIN like this.
  16. adrock314

adrock314 Crusader (730) Apr 14, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Can confirm
    [​IMG]

Gemini6 likes this.
  17. raynmoon

raynmoon Champion (801) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Trader

It comes out to whatever it comes out to.

18. Yellowlt4

Yellowlt4 Initiate (59) Sep 21, 2016 Texas

Plenty of 2018 Stovepipes collecting dust in these parts. Maybe the 12 ounce will sell better.

meanmutt likes this.
  19. DIM

Society

I always wonder how breweries arrive at a consistent ABV on their barrel aged beers. Old barrels? Watered down finished product?

20. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (2,243) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Trader

Thank you! 12 ounce 4 packs! With those stove pipes, you might as well lace my bong with bath salts and see what happens.

21. mogulskier

mogulskier Initiate (68) Feb 3, 2019 California

Agree. This beer does not age well IMO. Best enjoyed between fresh and 3 months.

Eddiehop, rypkr, bbtkd and 1 other person like this.
  22. waltari

waltari Initiate (67) Jan 28, 2016 Georgia

I couldn't agree more. I drank mine after almost 2 years and it was like drinking soy sauce.

MonkeyBread, Bitterbill and bbtkd like this.
  23. bbtkd

Society Trader

I like soy sauce, but not 19oz of it. :nauseated_face:

DISKORD, Gemini6 and Bitterbill like this.
  24. bbtkd

Society Trader

Either they test each barrel and blend them to hit the ABV, or they go with ballpark and don't worry about it. Most likely the latter.

Gemini6 and Bitterbill like this.
  25. Dan_K

Dan_K Zealot (515) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

Interesting, I wonder what the price point will be. 19.2 oz cans weren't ever bad either.

Bitterbill likes this.
  26. DIM

Society

Sometimes the barrel-aged version of a beer adds nothing to the ABV, sometimes it adds quite a lot. Insanity is the same ABV as blithering idiot for instance. Barrel aged Bigfoot elevates the ABV by almost a third over regular Bigfoot. I think there is a bit more to the story.

Junior, Gemini6, bbtkd and 1 other person like this.
  27. raynmoon

raynmoon Champion (801) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Trader

Breweries of decent size also have labs with alcolyzers that will tell them the exact alcohol content in a minute.

bbtkd likes this.
  28. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,097) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Wouldn't they just blend the whole batch and then test the abv?

29. DIM

Society

3 vintages of Flying Mouflan, 3 very different abvs. All significantly higher than the 9.6% of regular Flying Mouflan.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/694/151124/

Why doesn't this happen with other annual releases of barrel-aged beers? Why do some barrel-aged beers see no uptick at all in ABV? Are some breweries using fresher, wetter barrels? Are some breweries watering down the finished product to stretch the batch size? how often do breweries reuse barrels, thus cutting down on the increased ABV from a fresh, wet barrel.

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  30. DonicBoom

DonicBoom Initiate (58) Mar 26, 2015 Virginia

Better than a 750 bottle. If you don't finish 19 oz, you have less left over than with 25.36 oz.. Just always keep an empty 12 oz bottle around for storing leftovers with a wine stopper overnight.

31. rgordon

rgordon Savant (994) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I really think most people would just finish it.

32. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,097) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

These are good questions. Id guess it has to do with the barrel but I am really just guessing. Any idea if repeated ba brands tend to be lower in abv over time? Might show brewers reusing barrels? Perhaps time in barrel has an effect?

33. DonicBoom

DonicBoom Initiate (58) Mar 26, 2015 Virginia

Correct. I was responding to the notion that big cans are worse than even bigger bottles.

unlikelyspiderperson and rgordon like this.
  34. rgordon

rgordon Savant (994) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

No matter what format is offered I think drinking with others or by yourself one should attempt to finish any freshly opened beer. On occasion I have had good luck with champagne stoppers for quick next day consumption.

Tilley4, Gemini6 and Bitterbill like this.
  35. Lucular

Trader

Just picked up a 4-pack for $18 ($0.38/oz). Compared to a stovepipe can at ~$14 ($0.73/oz) this is a great deal for an awesome beer.

36. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (5,191) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

$18 - $20 in Minneapolis depending on where you buy.

JMN44 and keithmurray like this.
  37. bbtkd

Society Trader

Just be sure to drink it fresh, coffee falls off within 6 months...

38. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Devotee (448) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Society Trader

Are they also releasing the Java variant?

Gemini6 likes this.
  39. bbtkd

Society Trader

Unfortunately, they've never released the variants to distribution - brewery only. They have many variants they've tried over the years, and some get canned for brewery sales only, though most are brewery tap-only. I'd like to get my hands on some Rum BA Fidy. Maybe they'll surprise us one of these years.

Bitterbill likes this.
  40. Lucular

Trader

The only other time I bought a can (2017 stovepipe) I drank it just past 6 months and thought it was fantastic. It will be interesting to see how it changes this time assuming I space out the 4 cans. Also, I could be wrong but I thought BA Ten Fidy didn't have coffee added?

DISKORD, Gemini6 and bbtkd like this.