Oskar Blues gimmicky?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MadDogMD, Mar 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Poo-Bah (4,021) Jun 9, 2006 Colorado
    Society Trader

What? They started that wave like ten years ago. The new 19.2 oz cans are a very poor value however.

2. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,931) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico
    Society

All I know is that I was very happy to enjoy a nice 19.2 can of Dales while watching some Rockies Spring Training. Would have bought another but I found another stand selling some Odell 90 Schilling, which is my unofficial Rockies game beer for choice.

3. --Dom--

--Dom-- Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2012 Missouri

I love OB, my only issue is with price. Deviant is a little too steep for me at 13.99.

4. Kinsman

Kinsman Champion (880) Aug 26, 2009 Nevada

I like the 19.2 size as a perfect 'single serving' size although I'd be just as happy if they went with a full 'silo' at 24oz like one of our local brewpubs did. Not sure why they chose the imperial pint size instead but I'll gladly pick one up if I just want a beer to throw in the pack for a hike.

5. luisc123

luisc123 Initiate (0) Oct 20, 2011 California

I say why stop there? Craft breweries should step up and make 24 oz. tall boys. Maybe living near the beach and having to sneak cans of beer to the shore is something not everyone can relate with, but it's important to me. The bigger, the better

6. Nectar

Nectar Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2013 New Jersey

Brewery does something noone else has and its a gimmick.

New idea does not always translate to gimmick

Lantern, regularjohn and commis like this.
  7. rckymtnrep

rckymtnrep Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2011 Colorado

One who attempted to argue that OB "is simply one of the breweries riding the crest of the wave" would be both incorrect and ignorant. As the first brewery to introduce canned craft beer, they pioneered the wave and market others are now growing. Their larger can format makes absolute sense when looking at it from a strategic gamble, in that it gets their beers into the "bomber section" of a store set. An area where they had been incomplete before, they've now made a way into.

BetsyE, BrettHead and mikem0487 like this.
  8. Moose90

Moose90 Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2012 Washington

Their end game with the 'Stove Pipe' is to get it into local (CO) venues, mainly Red Rocks, Fiddlers, etc... they saw a void in the market and are exploiting it. Too much so? Perhaps, but Dale's tall cans at concerts will sell like hot cakes.

They also bumped G'Knight from 12oz 4 packs to 16oz 4 packs, which is welcomed by me, 10.99 for 4/16 is much better than for 4/12.

Lets just leave the canned beer to OB, it's not overboard. They are a pioneer brewery and make almost all of their beers with an IDGAF attitude, all of their stuff is over the top, and none are impeccably balanced. Yet they are all great in their own right.

9. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2009 California
    Deactivated

Nevermind my PLENTY of 2009 Canned Ten Fidy still aging beautifly right now. I just love assumption and big words...stirring the pot etc. Afterall, a keg is just one big can right?

10. swhite11

swhite11 Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2008 Washington

They started the wave.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  11. climbeer07

climbeer07 Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2012 Wisconsin

They are the same thing as putting a bottled 6pk in a bomber, 19 is as close to 22 oz or 750 ml they could get on the bottling line if I understand correctly so no it's not any more gimmicky

12. ewhugh

ewhugh Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2012 Colorado

Being from and living in Colorado, I will always love Oskar Blues, but the can sizes are getting out of control. I know they started the canning rEVOLution for craft breweries, but the cans do not sell the beer. I have had many of their non-canned beers (which have all been amazing), and am disappointed that they never release them other than their tasting room or fests. Now being the second largest craft brewery in Colorado, they need to start releasing specials or they are going to be left behind or join the BMCs where they stop focusing on the most important part, the beer.

13. regularjohn

regularjohn Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 New Jersey

ten fidy is great, but the prices in jersey are a joke. $16 for 4packs? no thanks. its an awesome stout but yeah but ill pass

szmnnl99 likes this.
  14. pixieskid

pixieskid Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2009 Germany

Riding the wave; they made the wave.

deadonhisfeet likes this.
  15. pixieskid

pixieskid Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2009 Germany

4 bucks for a "bomber worthy" beer...price per ounce you're looking at 7.26 for a bomber, if it were in that format. Know any other imperial stout that good (Old Raspy is not comparable imo) at that pricepoint?

16. HipsterBrewfus

HipsterBrewfus Initiate (0) Jun 3, 2012 Maryland

Are you sure you understand the meaning of the word "Gimmicky?"

montman likes this.
  17. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Disciple (381) Nov 21, 2008 Texas

Partly it's a difference in traditions. Great wine isn't served out of stainless steel kegs either. But I agee that the presentation value of a can doesn't compare to a caged and corked bottle.

18. robwestcott

robwestcott Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2008 Indiana

19. coreyfmcdonald

coreyfmcdonald Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2008 Georgia

Gimmick or not, I certainly do not embrace larger format bottles/cans of a beer style that is meant to be served fairly cold and generally not shared. The last thing I want is to be drinking a 60 degree Pils.

At least it's not 32oz of IPA...I mean what are people going to do, put it back in the fridge after filling up their glass? Not exactly ideal.

20. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,531) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

:grimacing: Perhaps meant sarcastically, but it's been done for decades:

[​IMG]

BrettHead and BBThunderbolt like this.
  21. Longstaff

Longstaff Initiate (0) May 23, 2002 Massachusetts

I have the opposite issue as the OP. Don't really like their beer all that much, have gotten some lousy d bombs from them, and I don't care what size cans they use cause I ain't buying them.

PalatePilot likes this.
  22. Evan47

Evan47 Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2012 New Jersey

craft beer in itself is a gimmicky world...flashy labels and strange containers are what attract beer snobs like us to products....and of course actual quality.... and although i don't really like Oskar Blues as a WHOLE brewery the G'Knight Imperial Red is one of the best beers i've had... whatever Oskar Blues needs to do to compete with the devil that is Budweiser should be accepted by us

23. Longstaff

Longstaff Initiate (0) May 23, 2002 Massachusetts

I can't imagine them to be less than $6 btl. around here, and probably won't move fast enough to be fresh enough for me to buy it. Working on my 5th case of the 12 oz format though while its still fresh.

24. ESeab

ESeab Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2013 New Jersey

FIS. I think FIS and Fidy are both worlds ahead of all other Impy stouts. IMO they make old raspy seem mild and thin.

25. coreyfmcdonald

Actually it wasn't sarcastic. I understand that it is possible, but there are many reasons it's not ideal.
    1. I generally drink my IPAs in social settings - at cookouts/parties/etc. where there isn't really easy access to a refrigerator. Rarely do I bring 22oz bottles to these types of events; I can't imagine myself ever bringing a 32oz bottle.
    2. You need access to carb savers - that pretty much limits me to my house and maybe a couple of beer geek friends.
    3. Even if you do have access to carb savers, you pretty much need to drink a beer like Sucks that night. I'm not confident either would last long.
    4. 32oz of Sucks puts a 150lb person over the legal limit if when consumed in 2 hours.
    IPAs are generally not a beer I think about sharing. 32oz of it is a lot.

26. chimneyjim

chimneyjim Initiate (73) Jun 23, 2004 Oregon

Oskar Blues was NOT the first craft brewery to offer cans. Portland Brewing preceded them by two years, introducing their canned Amber in March 2000. However, as I understand the history, Oskar Blues may have been the first craft brewer to install its own canning line.

27. Jake1605

Jake1605 Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2009 Missouri

Elaborate on #4. You must have lenient laws on bac in your state.

28. Scalzo

Scalzo Initiate (133) Feb 27, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

personally i think the inverted lacing on the 19.2 ounce can is superior to the 16 ounce cans

29. coreyfmcdonald

It should put you around .09-.10 with an average rate of metabolism.

30. Jake1605

Jake1605 Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2009 Missouri

That's inaccurate. Bac has no consistency, and takes between 1 & 2 hours to hit its peek. I weigh about 290 & 4 servings of a drink that high of abv could potentially get me to the 1.2-1.5 range, depending on other factors. Everyone has a different chemical balance and is effected differently. There have been people who had a lager at home the evening before getting a DUI the next morning. It's been studied, read up on it.

31. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

The bigger the can the bigger the smoking apparatus you can fashion.

32. regularjohn

honestly it seems quite odd that someone would complain about the size of the can or bottle being bigger than normal...you mean i can have MORE of this beer that i love??? that's preposterous !! :rolling_eyes:

33. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,997) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

I got reported and my comment deleted from this thread for mentioning the screen on the side of each OB can. Be prepared for someone to get their panties in a bunch.

34. regularjohn

yeah i'd rather get a bomber for that price or at least have the option of purchasing single cans, but thats just me. also that's only $4 shy of a pack of bourbon county by me. like i said its a fine stout but thats a tad overpriced. can grab a pack of breakfast stout or imperial stout from founders for much cheaper

35. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,083) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

The real question here is when the fuck is fidy going to be in tall boys???

36. frazbri

frazbri Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2003 Ohio

Multiple can sizes sounds like a gimmick to me. (not a vortex bottle grade gimmick, but still a gimmick)

MadDogMD likes this.
  37. KevinGordon

KevinGordon Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2012 North Carolina

heck no. those fresh tall Dale's and G'knights coming out of Brevard are insane. So is the fresh Gubna. Make them all tall, I say.

38. chocosushi

chocosushi Initiate (0) May 1, 2011 Oklahoma

Keep the 19.2 oz cans coming!

Is Iron Mike Gimmicky? They weren't the first to
    do it, coors had 'em beat by years :wink:

39. mjtiernan

mjtiernan Initiate (0) Feb 15, 2008 New York

More like garlicky.

40. MadDogMD

MadDogMD Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2013 Arizona

Which is why I put a question mark at the end of my title. Good discussion, everyone. Keep it coming!

Nectar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.