Oskar Blues Releases Death By Affogato Porter

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,029) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

Smooth Vanilla Ice Cream And Espresso Flavors Abound

Longmont, Colo. (June 16, 2020) Oskar Blues Brewery announces the debut of Death By Affogato Porter, the second decadent entry in their series of extravagant Death By porters inspired by cult classic Death By Coconut Irish Porter. Death By Affogato is available nationwide in 4-packs of 12 oz. cans now.

Arriving on the heels of Death By King Cake White Porter, Death By Affogato was inspired by a dessert that some may call a little bit “extra.” Affogato is a classic Italian dessert of two simple ingredients brought together to create an exorbitant amount of flavor: vanilla gelato topped with a freshly pulled shot of espresso. With a name that translates directly to “drowning,” this indulgent post-meal treat was the perfect muse for Oskar Blues brewers seeking a formidable flavor profile for the upcoming Death By porter in the series.

“We like to think of ourselves as proudly unpretentious foodies here at Oskar Blues,” said Head Brewer Juice Drapeau. “In a beer like Death By Affogato, we’ve taken inspiration directly from the culinary world. ‘Affogato’ is a fancy name, but forget about that. All you need to know is that ice cream and coffee are a legendary pair.”

Death By Affogato begins with a rich, dark porter brewed with chocolate malt and malted oats to complement roasty coffee and creamy vanilla. Using Spinbot 5000 technology, this malty porter is infused with cacao nibs, hand-split Ugandan and Madagascar vanilla beans and coffee from Colorado’s own Traction Coffee Roasters. The result is a hedonistic beer drowning in flavors of milk and dark chocolate, espresso, vanilla and caramel. Surprising notes of caramelized sugar, toasted marshmallows and breakfast cereal round out a porter appropriate for an aperitivo or a late-night snack.

Death By Affogato Porter is the second offering in the Death By Porter Series. Find it on shelves nationwide in 4-packs of 12 oz. cans. Superfans of the eponymous Death By Coconut can expect the return of the cult classic this fall.

https://www.oskarblues.com/beer/death-by-affogato/

###

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2681/453176/

2. eppCOS

eppCOS Meyvn (1,377) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

They had me at Death... (sounds great)

3. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,128) Sep 15, 2014 New York
    Society

Death By King Cake was an utter fail that resulted in a drain pour for me, but this sounds good.

Mikecd234, waltari and eppCOS like this.
  4. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,379) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey

I knew you’d be here lmao

SFACRKnight and eppCOS like this.
  5. Urk1127

Important question....is his name really Juice?

eppCOS likes this.
  6. eppCOS

Society

Plus, I'd be afraid of choking on that baby Jesus in the can.
    Just sayin'

SFACRKnight and Urk1127 like this.
  7. eppCOS

Society

Nice spot. You would hope that Juice Drapeau ("Flag" in French) would be his stage name... but that's a great name. Juice Flag?
    Wow.

Urk1127 likes this.
  8. Urk1127

Didn’t realize there was lactose in this. Will be on the look out when the time comes.

eppCOS likes this.
  9. Urk1127

It’s almost a shame it’s released this fall instead of summer because I just saw somebody speaking of “iced coffee stouts” in the summer stout thread this seems like it would be that

SFACRKnight likes this.
  10. Steve_Studnuts

Steve_Studnuts Devotee (423) Apr 21, 2015 Pennsylvania

I found this a couple weeks ago at my local bottle shop. Keep your eyes peeled.

eppCOS and Urk1127 like this.