Other Half (2019)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by RobNewton, Jan 1, 2019.

1. SpinSamzo

SpinSamzo Aspirant (254) Mar 11, 2017 New York
    Trader

Are the cans/bottle avail to go or just in house only. Not entirely clear from the IG.

2. TurkeysDrinkBeer

TurkeysDrinkBeer Initiate (55) Sep 8, 2018 Virginia
    Trader

Pretty sure they are to go. Last pop up like this they did was in DC and they were available to go

3. Feaor

Feaor Initiate (118) Jul 9, 2017 New York

Anyone going to brave the line want to give us an update? Thinking about heading over during lunch if its not absolutely crazy.

fdonnelly likes this.
  4. patmcd

patmcd Aspirant (227) Jul 5, 2008 New York

On a flight headed to LGA right now where I will land at 11, I was not going to go but then realized I can just Uber straight there on the company dime.

5. NewmansOwn

NewmansOwn Aspirant (299) Jun 25, 2016 New York

6. mumbles44

mumbles44 Initiate (193) Jan 22, 2016 New Jersey
    Trader

hmm..do they ever do growler fills of the tap takeovers?

7. patmcd

1-4pack per person should keep some hoarders away or nah?

fdonnelly likes this.
  8. patmcd

Not of the takeover stuff, other OH stuff will be available for fills. often they even limit guest taps to 4-8oz pours as well.

9. rozzom

rozzom Champion (807) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Hey Pat - are you new here?

10. Xerlic

Xerlic Initiate (129) Aug 26, 2016 New York
    Trader

Have they listed the prices for the Veil stuff? I can't seem to find any pricing info on any of their IG posts.

11. ChairfaceChippendale

ChairfaceChippendale Initiate (88) May 29, 2014 New York
    Trader

Any line updates?

I'm working from home and don't want them to realize I've shirked all responsibility to go buy beer.

fdonnelly and TurkeysDrinkBeer like this.
  12. TurkeysDrinkBeer

Trader

If its anything like the DC pop up they did, you can expect a small mark up from the prices it was sold at here in VA. You can check the older posts on the Veil's IG for pricing

13. TurkeysDrinkBeer

Trader

Here are the prices when released at The Veil:

What Haunts Me - $18.50 + tax
    Master Shredder - $14 + tax
    Dirtnap3 - $21 + tax
    NeverNeverCalmCalm - $22 + tax
    RA - $19.50 + tax
    Eternal Slumber - $25 + tax

Xerlic likes this.
  14. NewmansOwn

My buddy just got there, maybe 30 people in line.

fdonnelly and Jlabs like this.
  15. MarshallBirdhouse

MarshallBirdhouse Devotee (433) Feb 19, 2013 South Carolina
    Trader

This reminds me of the time someone asked a place hosting Zwanze a few years back if they did growler fills.

tobelerone and RobNewton like this.
  16. NewmansOwn

Veil bottles are gone

17. patmcd

Well fuck. Landed at LGA and it said 25 minutes to get to OH. 1 hour later I’m still in the Uber.

18. Max_W

Max_W Disciple (348) Jun 14, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

And at 1pp, wow

fdonnelly likes this.
  19. SpinSamzo

SpinSamzo Aspirant (254) Mar 11, 2017 New York
    Trader

Lotta people trying to get beer at the bar

fdonnelly likes this.
  20. fdonnelly

fdonnelly Initiate (148) Dec 14, 2016 New Jersey
    Trader

Christ lol, was hoping some cans may last until tonight, but seems thats unlikely with this.

Don't let these folk in on the BA Meet Up line secrets

21. Padraig

Padraig Initiate (121) Jan 14, 2013 New York
    Trader

About a dozen cases and of cans left.

22. nchan50

nchan50 Initiate (30) Aug 15, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

Well that was a wasted trip. Only master shredder and ra left at the moment

23. patmcd

Wasted for sure.

I managed to get up to the line when they had Dirtnap left. They called me up to a new checkout and the guy started fidgeting with the iPad.

Two guys who were behind me got the last 2 4-packs as I watched him fiddle with the iPad and not get the beer behind him. I’m just laughing at a comedy of unfortunate events right now...I grabbed space daydream instead and it’s friday...so not the end of the world.

24. rozzom

Trader

You win then

Serious question though for everyone - is Veil a super special much better than OH brewery? Or just a “hype brewery wot we don’t get packaged beers from in nyc usually”

25. PapasDelicateCondition

PapasDelicateCondition Initiate (78) Sep 7, 2016 New York

Veil is great actually. Their IPAs don't have anything on OH but they do all other styles very well. Stouts especially in my experience.

TurkeysDrinkBeer likes this.
  26. nchan50

nchan50 Initiate (30) Aug 15, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

I must have been a couple people behind you - I saw a guy checking out with Dirt Nap then they said they're all out when I went up.

27. Feaor

I like their sours a lot so I was bummed to only get Shredder and Ra and I've heard excellent things about their stouts.

28. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,093) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

no and yes

mayhops and fdonnelly like this.
  29. TurkeysDrinkBeer

Trader

Veil stouts and sours have been better than Other Halfs since day 1. No hometown bias, just facts. Been drinking beers from OH for about 4 years and The Veil since they opened the doors. Other Half stouts have gotten a lot better over the last 6-8 months but I still think their sour game is crap. Now the IPA's are a different story. Really depends on what you like in an IPA. I like that The Veil doesn't use lactose nearly as often as OH. Still love me a OH ipa but I can't do the 'tose all the time. Veil definitely puts out some IPA's that can hang with OH but I do believe OH is more consistent.

fdonnelly likes this.
  30. Xerlic

Trader

OH's SIPAs have gotten better in the past few years although still a bit inconsistent. It used to be they sucked so bad. Do you want more and blueberry crunchee were both recent home runs in my opinion.

The mmm... fruit line have also been consistently good. Not amazing, but good.

31. fdonnelly

fdonnelly Initiate (148) Dec 14, 2016 New Jersey
    Trader

one of us, one of us

TurkeysDrinkBeer likes this.
  32. rozzom

Trader

Don’t get me wrong I’m not generally a fan of OH sours, and am only recently warming up to their stouts a little - but “no home town bias” and said hometown brewery being objectively better “fact” doesn’t don’t jive! Haha

SeanEDPBK and Xerlic like this.
  33. Xerlic

Trader

Facts.

34. SeanEDPBK

SeanEDPBK Initiate (107) Jun 8, 2016 New York

I have hometown bias and will just say that, having had IPA's from many of the hype operations, if you get ANY of them consistently you should not want for the others. They're all great to minimally varying degrees.

35. TurkeysDrinkBeer

Trader

I get where that's hard to believe, but I have no problem saying something from The Veil sucks. They have absolutely put out more than one clunker in their time. Not sure I've ever met anyone who would say OH makes better sours or stouts than the Veil, even my most faithful OH trade partners have agreed with me on this. Beer is subjective AF though, so some may prefer OH for those two styles, just haven't met that individual yet. IPA's, again OH is definitely more consistent and i do tend to like more OH IPA's but they don't do enough tose-free hops for me to wanna drink them regularly which is where I tend to favor The Veil at times.

36. NewmansOwn

Anyone try the new OH stout yet?

37. guinness77

guinness77 Meyvn (1,126) Jan 6, 2014 New York

Gotta say...not too impressed with Green Power. It’s a shame because 1st batch it was an absolute beast, but I’m drinking my 3rd can of my 4-pack and none of them have really stood out to me. And, at exactly a month old, still pretty fresh. I’ve gotten a lot of malt on this, and, not good malt.

38. Feaor

Yes, it honestly tastes exactly like pretty much every pastry stout they've dropped lately. Its not bad but I probably wouldn't have picked it up if it didn't have such a meme label. The Spumoni Dream was my favorite of the stuff they've put out lately, super unique.

39. PapasDelicateCondition

PapasDelicateCondition Initiate (78) Sep 7, 2016 New York

Anybody notice a correlation between off batches and when Sam's traveling? Second week in a row that some cans weren't ready and I feel like others have been off. Noticed in IG that he's been out. Maybe?

40. digdug1810

digdug1810 Aspirant (229) Mar 1, 2011 New Jersey

anybody crack the triple mosaic?... as good as the last batch?