Other Half Brewery Thread (November 2015)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by NiceBeerCans, Nov 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berto714

berto714 Aspirant (277) Oct 16, 2014 New York

Limit is four 4-packs of each beer, not four cans. Which is the same as the normal limit for Green Diamonds and AGE. Note that AGE sold out the day of last release, and it's been released several other times. And this is going to be many times more people than a normal release.

stevebrownsteve likes this.
  2. MosaicDrops

MosaicDrops Initiate (188) Jun 4, 2014 New York
    Trader

fyi, It's a (4) 4-pack limit, so 16 cans, for both Street Green and Green Diamonds

RobNewton and stevebrownsteve like this.
  3. stevebrownsteve

stevebrownsteve Initiate (69) Mar 28, 2015 New Jersey

Ah, read that wrong... wishful thinking I suppose.

4. jturchin

jturchin Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2014 New Jersey

it's a 4x 4pack limit - so 16 cans

5. Emmige1

Emmige1 Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2014 New York

Sooo...what are the limits?

joeyfeets, gabea, 2Xmd and 1 other person like this.
  6. MosaicDrops

Trader

Sarcasm is hard to detect on the interwebz...which I hope was your intent

7. joehill

joehill Initiate (162) Apr 11, 2008 New York

No discussion about how Other Half posted on Facebook and Instagram that people are hiring Taskrabbits to wait in line for them and buy them beer?

Bummer that they posted "not sure how to feel about this"... I mean, I guess it's affirming for them but how is anything other than awful for their fans and for craft beer in general?

ONovoMexicano likes this.
  8. berto714

I mean, on Facebook they posted "Strange and not cool for the people who take the time to line up and wait personally for something they really enjoy." And saying "not sure how to feel about this..." implied to me that they don't like it.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that Other Half's posts are only going to give more people the idea. I'm tempted to skip the release altogether at this point and just find it on draft somewhere.

mahler, Tbub18 and jrnyc like this.
  9. joehill

But if they don't like it then it's pretty obvious how they could avoid it - just don't announce releases several days in advance!

They could either just put it out on Friday after they finish canning and it'd probably last till Saturday as word got out on it's own. Even announcing it at like 8pm on Friday that they're releasing on Saturday at 10am would cut down the ability for Taskrabbit (and for out-of-towners to plan trips in to snap it all up, but not sure that's a concern of theirs).

Tbub18, nychas and jrnyc like this.
  10. HeyLady

HeyLady Aspirant (290) Sep 17, 2015 New York

I could not agree with this more. I think this will give more people the idea to do it. Especially a release like this with low limits. Im sure people will hire taskrabbits and also wait in line themselves to obtain more.

RobNewton and berto714 like this.
  11. berto714

Well, maybe they'll start doing this from now on. It's not clear that they realized this was happening until they already announced this release.

12. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Poo-Bah (2,807) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

Flipside to this is that Other Half's buzz just keeps growing. They keep racking up mentions, recognition in the press, and so on, that's got to be good for business. Same with lines for releases, it helps with the buzz and provides a ton of free advertising. This to me explains the ambivalent nature of their comment about Taskrabbits.

By the way, I'd never heard of Taskrabbits but find the name and the concept hilarious.

RobNewton, 2Xmd and jrnyc like this.
  13. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,307) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Premium Trader

WTF is a Taskrabbit? Craft beer hype is getting WAAAAYYYY out of control when the word "Taskrabbit" now means there are on-line services to pay people to wait in line to scoop up cases and cases of beer. This takes muling to a whole new level. Some people really suck.

I am torn on this, I love OH so thrilled that they are so popular that the demand is so high and they can sell so much beer. But on the other hand my favorite brewery is being impacted by the worst aspects of the craft beer hype.

Easy solution, there is so much beer out there, suppress the feelings of "FOMO", dont worry about always getting cans and go drink some other great beer from another brewery. There will be a lot of hard core beer geeks in line who do the right thing, but let the phase of the posers, profiteers, Taskrabbit warlords come and go, it will pass soon enough.

SRBush1974 likes this.
  14. ONovoMexicano

Actually, according to Taskrabbit, Other Half beer releases were like number 5 on their list of lines they are asked to stand in. IPhone releases were probably number one and I would assume sneaker releases would be the other.

Honestly, I used to walk by Footlockers in NYC and see people camped out for 5 blocks and thought, "What a bunch of losers." I imagine their must be people passing by beer releases thinking the same thing. Haha.

VaTechPhilly and jrnyc like this.
  15. Kanger

Kanger Zealot (512) Sep 3, 2013 New York

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Not announcing can releases would also cause a storm of "Why don't they announce their releases in advance?!?!?" and "I missed out on cans because they didn't announce anything!"

16. joehill

just because they announced it for Saturday doesn't mean they can't post on Friday at 5pm and be like - 'hey, come and get it!'. I mean, there are people in the comments thread on Instagram arranging for Taskrabbits! It'd be amazing if people paid Taskrabbits to line up at 6 AM for beer that was already gone.

if the last several years in craft beer have shown me anything it's that this sort of thing isn't going to pass, aside from people like me who don't want to wait for hours in line and/or can't afford a Taskrabbit opting out of this hobby.

jrnyc likes this.
  17. taestee

taestee Initiate (131) Dec 12, 2012 New York

This should be an interesting release. Fully expecting there to be a line around the block and then some by opening.

The only solution i can think of is something like what the Bruery or Rare Barrel do... having people sign up for memberships. Might not actually be a terrible thing.

18. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,307) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Premium Trader

I hear you, but the OH hype will die down to a more manageable level sooner or later. The collab may be awesome, but chances are it won't be any better than the other great beers that OH makes. People go nuts over "special releases", "collabs", etc. Resist the hype, grab a glass of OH somewhere in the city where people aren't lined up.

19. MosaicDrops

Trader

In general, I'd still like to see BPT used more often. Not for every release, but the ones that are guaranteed to generate a shitshow. Give people a couple day window to pick up their allotment. This would also curtail the crowds on Saturdays so people can actually enjoy a few pours in the taproom/garage.

ONovoMexicano likes this.
  20. SonnyJay

SonnyJay Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2015 New York

No kidding. Go ask Kane how that went over (I know it was for a rarer/more hyped release, but still).

I would support this, but then there will be the cries of "they're gouging their loyal customers!"
    Plus, as others have alluded to, the hype and the lines around the corner aren't really bad for business.

Not to say there isn't a better system...but moral of the story, people are going to be mad however you release beer where demand >>> supply.

21. stevebrownsteve

stevebrownsteve Initiate (69) Mar 28, 2015 New Jersey

As someone who waits in line and usually grabs a 4 pack of each, these types things perplex me. Rabbits? Mules? Also, who needs multiple cases of any one beer? I'm way too much of a beer ho to commit that much to a single beer.

That said, I usually have a great time at these releases and am sad to be missing this one.

Dschwartz83 and Hirshi like this.
  22. joehill

notice I said "several days in advance". Why do you have to give a week's notice? Giving a heads up the night before will still get the word out to the people who pay attention, but have less people carpooling in from Connecticut or whereever and less of a chance for people to arrange these Taskrabbits.

ONovoMexicano and Tbub18 like this.
  23. HeyLady

I don’t know if there is any good way of doing it.

It would be nice to have some sort of loyalty program. Kind of like how Hill Farmstead tracks people and what they buy. Maybe if a person has been to the brewery 10+ times in a year they are added to an email distribution where they get advanced notice of beer releases and get first dibs before it goes on sale to the general public. Lets say they can come in on Saturday morning to buy it everyone else on Sunday. No gouging of loyal customers just preferred treatment. But then you get the cries of people saying that they still support the brewery by buying beer on draft at bars and can’t get the brewery. And also the people that cant make it on certain days.

Or what Tired Hands does, you pay upfront for membership but then you get a gift card for that amount. So effectively you are paying nothing for the membership. And if you really do visit the brewery as often as you say, you will easily spend that money.

There is just no way of pleasing everyone.

#63 HeyLady, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
    Jlabs and stevebrownsteve like this.
  24. joehill

how about, if you trade in a bottle of Red Wine Barrel Aged Stout then you get to skip the line?

dangelop, Tbub18, Hirshi and 2 others like this.
  25. taestee

:grinning: i still have mine! ill wear it around my neck if i have to.

Tbub18 likes this.
  26. GreaserGreg

GreaserGreg Initiate (55) Feb 27, 2015 New York

The problem is logistics given OH's brewery space. The brewery side which encompasses the coldroom, grain room, tanks, barrel aging, and other equipment is maxed out. When you buy cans on release day, have you noticed how they have to pull empty kegs and equipment on to the sidewalk via forklift to facilitate the flow of human traffic? This is necessary to allow access to the cold room and process orders without doing a sidewalk sale. You want your beer cold don't you? There is no room left in there.

They also do not have the space for a canning machine, so they have a standing canning run on every other Friday with IH to can ~500 cases in one day. Even the logistics of canning 2 batches in one day means everything has to go right on both sides in order to get this done. Asking for a Thursday release isn't going to happen as IH has clients scheduled on other days. As Kanger knows, on canning days you have to clear even more space so IH can setup and move the blanks as cans get filled. Also, stickering/labelling the blank cans is done manually (5000 cans) which takes up even more space, time, and staff. You see a trend yet?

The only option given their setup would be to can on a Friday and then release some other day than Sat mornings. The problem is where do you put 500 cases (5 pallets of 10x10) in the cold room as they have pallets of kegs that have been filled and waiting to go out to customers? Maybe in a perfect scenario you have a football field hangar like Tree House does, own a canning line and have a canning operator overseeing fills on various weekdays and then have a staff to just sell cases starting on Wednesday. Oh, and have a huge parking lot helps too. Maybe you expand production to a remote location and keep the Centre St facility for tap room and barrel aging. Maybe another option would be to operate on a Trillium model and bottle rather than can, but space and equipment is still an issue. You know what you can't get at Trillium and Tree House? Beers to drink on premise.

As other people mentioned you will never satisfy everyone. They got a ton of backlash a few months ago when they held back some cases and rereleased later in the week. I would love to see a membership type program, especially as I think some of the barrel aged beers will be coming on over the winter and that will be mayhem.

All you can do is let the beer speak for itself. I am fine with that.

27. brenduune

brenduune Initiate (44) Dec 2, 2013 New York

Amen brother. Oh, and eff those taskrabiteers.

jrnyc likes this.
  28. tynian16

tynian16 Aspirant (295) Oct 23, 2015 New York
    Premium

So what time is everyone getting there Saturday?

berto714 likes this.
  29. HeyLady

Im aiming for 10. I assume I will be inline for a while but don't think I will miss out.

berto714 likes this.
  30. 2Xmd

2Xmd Disciple (398) Apr 19, 2013 New York

I'm gonna have my rabbits out there at 6:00.

31. berto714

I was originally planning on 9 but might get there closer to 10. Depends on what I end up doing Friday night. Or maybe I'll just taskrabbit it... :wink:

32. taestee

My taskrabbit is there already.

33. jkane101

jkane101 Devotee (442) Sep 22, 2007 New Jersey

I am my own taskrabbit

34. troupos40

troupos40 Aspirant (211) Aug 12, 2014 New Jersey
    Trader

I have shown up around 9 am each of the last times I've gone and am usually between 25-35th in line, can't imagine it won't last for at a while with the lower limits.

35. SonnyJay

SonnyJay Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2015 New York

Someone needs to get this on a shirt and wear it to the release.

ONovoMexicano, berto714, 2Xmd and 2 others like this.
  36. tynian16

tynian16 Aspirant (295) Oct 23, 2015 New York
    Premium

I think I showed up around 9:20 last weekend and my best guess is that I was 50th-60th in line. The line was around the corner by around 9:45-9:50.

37. MosaicDrops

Trader

Looks like Pizza Moto just opened around the corner from OH

Kanger and ONovoMexicano like this.
  38. GreaserGreg

GreaserGreg Initiate (55) Feb 27, 2015 New York

I saw that as well. Weren't they supposed to open this about a 2 or 3 years ago? Or am I just making that up?

39. ONovoMexicano

Wonder what the rabbits cost? At some point a person is paying more for the rabbits then for the beer.

I personally think Other Half's next beer should be called Taskrabbit.

RobNewton and 2Xmd like this.
  40. 2Xmd

2Xmd Disciple (398) Apr 19, 2013 New York

I looked at the website and it seems like $20-25 an hour. Must be nice to have that much extra disposable income to pay someone to wait in line for beer.

"Taskrabbit" That's an awesome idea. Someone will use that name for a beer. Maybe should be a brown ale?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.