Other Half Brewing, October 2017

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by algebeeric_topology, Oct 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. algebeeric_topology

algebeeric_topology Zealot (554) Dec 30, 2014 Florida
    Trader

Other Half Brewery -http://www.otherhalfbrewing.com/,https://instagram.com/otherhalftaproom/

Address: 195 Centre St Brooklyn, NY 11231

Tap Room Hours: Monday through Thursday: 5 pm to 10 pm, Friday 3 pm to 10 pm, Saturday: 10 am to 10 pm, Sunday: 12 pm to 8 pm

Closest Subway Station: Smith-9th St (F and G Train)

Directions From Subway: Walk West on W.9th Street to the intersection, Make a Left on Smith St, walk two blocks and make a right on Centre St, Tap Room is halfway down the block across from the McDonalds. (Approx. 2 min walk)

Parking: The best bet for parking is usually on the other side of the Court Street, the other side of the expressway. Please don't park at McDonalds as they're known to tow.

A Citi Bike station was recently installed at Smith/9th, woo!

Current Tap List + Available Cans:https://otherhalfbrewing.com/location/taproom

Growler Fills: Other Half uses a Counter Pressure fill system. This requires that all 32oz and 64oz growlers have a 1.125” standard threaded opening.
    [​IMG]
    Other Half branded growlers require a $5 deposit. Growlers from other breweries are welcome, butmust follow those measurement guidelines. Not all beers are available for growler fills, please check the tap room menu board for details.

Can and Bottles Sales: Cans and Bottles are for sale in the tap room when they are available. Releasesare announced via Other Half’s Instagram/Twitter/Facebook.

Can releases and other events: https://otherhalfbrewing.com/events

Can releases occur every weekend and sometimes during the week. Check Instagram or the OH website for updates.
    Cans and Bottles cannot be consumed on the premises.

Other Half Gear: OH branded growlers, hats, glasses, and t-shirts are available in the tap room.

Credit Cards: $10 Minimum

Outside Beer:
    Do not open bottles or cans in the Tap Room unless you have permission from the Other Half crew. Do not drink while waiting outside on line for releases. The sidewalk is NYC property and you can get a open container ticket.

Kids and Dogs: Yes both are permitted. In the case of dogs, be aware there are brewery cats that hang around.

Local Eats: McDonalds, Pizza Moto, Buttermilk Channel, Prime Meats, Frankie’s Spuntino,Court Street Grocer, plus many other places along Court St. Outside food is allowed in the Tap Room, just be aware there is not much room to eat.

Local Bars within a ~20min walk:MiniBar, The Owl Farm, Mission Dolores, Threes Brewing, Bar Great Harry, 4th Ave Pub,Pacific Standard, Supercollider, Park Slope Ale House,Lavender Lake.

Local Bottle Shops:First Place Provisions, Whole Foods Brooklyn

NiceBeerCans, jrnyc and rozzom like this.
  2. crowlcrowlcrowl

crowlcrowlcrowl Aspirant (283) Jun 13, 2014 New York
    Trader

DDH Small Green Everything: 4.8% Double dry hopped session IPA w / amarillo, citra, mosaic + motueka.

DDH OH...: 6.3% Double dry hopped IPA w/ citra, galaxy + motueka.

DDH Daydream In Green: 8% Double dry hopped imperial Oat IPA w / citra, motueka + wai-iti.

Alternate Side Zamboni: 8.5% Imperial IPA w/ centennial, citra, galaxy + mosaic.

DDH All Green Everything: 10.5% Double dry hopped imperial IPA w / amarillo, citra, mosaic, motueka, citra + mosaic lupulin powder.

3. SeanEDPBK

SeanEDPBK Initiate (136) Jun 8, 2016 New York

So what's everyone's thoughts on yesterdays new beers? I had the DDH Double Citra Daydream on tap and it is instantly one of my favorites- it lives up the expectations set my the mosaic version IMO. How about the collabs?

yossle and algebeeric_topology like this.
  4. peej

peej Initiate (32) Apr 18, 2013 New York

Dare I Say is wonderful

canchon likes this.
  5. lumpyhead1221

lumpyhead1221 Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2011 North Carolina

Similar to any OH DIPAs of late for context?

6. ElmerTLee

ElmerTLee Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2015 Connecticut

I f'n love Other Half. So excited to be going later this month.

7. Feaor

Feaor Aspirant (203) Jul 9, 2017 New York

Highballers is like an amped up version of City Slickers, I thought it was very good although I doubt I could drink a ton of it. I still like City Slickers more though, that beer is phenomenal, probably my favorite single IPA.

Dare I Say... is a pretty standard DIPA, its got a bit more bitterness to it than typical Other Half DIPAs so its something a little different, its not my favorite though.

8. dhaakon

dhaakon Initiate (152) May 30, 2005 New York

as a huge hockey fan. love seeing zamboni released coinciding with hockey season.

9. pirate99gs

pirate99gs Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2014 Canada (QC)

Any word/hope of weekday release?

10. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,170) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

Dare I Say could last into the week.

11. dhaakon

dhaakon Initiate (152) May 30, 2005 New York

dare i say is crushable and i think it will develop really nicely. glad this lasted through the mule train rush.

thegreatgazoo likes this.
  12. SpinSamzo

SpinSamzo Disciple (327) Mar 11, 2017 New York
    Trader

I have friends coming to visit this weekend and they are dying to go to Other Half. We'll probably get there around 11am Saturday. Based on the current lineup for this weekend, how crazy will the brewery be and what cans are likely to last that long? I know they would love to get some cans.

13. peej

peej Initiate (32) Apr 18, 2013 New York

yeah it's similar to something but I don't have a good enough beer memory to place it. It may be similar to Oh... but I'm not sure.

14. Feaor

If the keg list is any indication it seems like we'll get something midweek. I'd hope for DDH Oh... since that beer was great and was also a midweek release.

15. algebeeric_topology

algebeeric_topology Zealot (554) Dec 30, 2014 Florida
    Trader

If it ends up being the cans described above, very likely. None look like clear winners, so there's a good chance there's a bit of everything (except maybe Zamboni, but centennial? meh).

I still can't believe DDH Double Mosaic Daydream lasted past the rush last weekend!

SpinSamzo likes this.
  16. NewmansOwn

NewmansOwn Disciple (366) Jun 25, 2016 New York

17. EnthusedAboutBeer

EnthusedAboutBeer Zealot (580) May 13, 2013 New Jersey

AGE is being updated with “fruitier yeast strains”. I’m sure it will taste great but it’s a bit sad that they’ve changed AGE likely as a result of the west coast ipa flavor profile not being en vogue anymore. Hoping this is just something they’re doing for the DDH version

18. bryantc3

bryantc3 Aspirant (206) Apr 12, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

So....looks like DDH Small Green Everything may be a mid-week release?

algebeeric_topology and HeyLady like this.
  19. PapasDelicateCondition

PapasDelicateCondition Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2016 New York

A rare week of no fomo. I'd be happy with something other than small green for midweek but that seems unlikely.

algebeeric_topology likes this.
  20. Feaor

Darn was kinda hoping for midweek DDH Oh... but oh well. DDH All Green Everything sounds interesting but I probably only would want a pour, a 4 pack of AGE is too much for me now.

21. llerrafnad

llerrafnad Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2016 New York

Is Zamboni $20 because of the 3 yeast strains?

22. rozzom

rozzom Meyvn (1,058) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Not that I wouldn’t love a lower price, but is $20 not the norm for a Double / Imperial IPA from OH?

23. llerrafnad

I guess it is. I thought an OH Double IPA is usually $18 then goes up to $20 when they make a DDH version. Just curious.

rozzom likes this.
  24. Feaor

I think its usually $18 for Non-DDH DIPAs, Cream of Broccoli and Vic Secret + Mosaic were both $18 for reference.

rozzom likes this.
  25. EnthusedAboutBeer

EnthusedAboutBeer Zealot (580) May 13, 2013 New Jersey

Can’t remember the last DIPA collab that wasn’t at least $20 (a few of them have been $22). Not complaining but it does seem to be the norm these days

rozzom likes this.
  26. rozzom

Trader

Yeah I think it’s like baseline IPA price is $16, then add as follows:

$2 for collab
    $2 for double
    $4 for triple
    $2 for ddh

2Xmd and algebeeric_topology like this.
  27. NewmansOwn

Have they done A DDH TIPA collab for $24?

SpinSamzo likes this.
  28. Feaor

I think $22 is the most expensive 4pks have been so far I believe? DDH AGE and DDH AEE are/were $22. But I bet they'll put out some stupid collab that'll hit $24 in the future, perhaps with Tired Hands and their $25 4pks.

29. Jtbel1988

Jtbel1988 Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2014 New York

30. bowery

bowery Initiate (48) Jul 3, 2014 California
    Trader

AKA Long Island Reseller's Wet Dream

31. bryantc3

Trader

this may be a possibility? AGE this week is $22 vs. $20 last time (and i think the time before that). They did mention a new yeast strain.

32. llerrafnad

This AGE is a DDH version so I understand the $2 increase like all other DDH versions. Was just curious why Zamboni is $20, would have thought it would be $18.

33. NewmansOwn

Spotted at Court and 9th this past Saturday: So many questions...

34. pintsandtrainers

pintsandtrainers Initiate (0) Jun 9, 2016 New Hampshire

Does OH do single can sales? I’m visiting Brooklyn this eeekend would love to bring some back but between a semi full fridge and and a trip to HF the following weekend I would prefer not to buy too much beer to bring home. Cheers!

35. crowlcrowlcrowl

crowlcrowlcrowl Aspirant (283) Jun 13, 2014 New York
    Trader

Be(a)er Trap

36. rozzom

Trader

I think cos it’s a Collab. Tremendous Ideas (with cloudwater) wasn’t DDH was it? That was a $20 Double/imperial

37. Feaor

Nope, they only sell by the 4 pk unfortunately.

38. SpinSamzo

SpinSamzo Disciple (327) Mar 11, 2017 New York
    Trader

Someone last month mentioned that Other Half collaborations tend to not be as great as their standard offerings. This may be reflected in the untappd ratings of last weekend's offerings. Highballers currently has a 4.15, and Dare I Say has a 4.25. These are by no means bad scores, but they do pale in comparison to DDH Double Citra Daydream, which has a 4.53 currently.

39. bryantc3

Trader

ah yeah. That's my bad, I thought AGE was always DDH.

40. SeanEDPBK

SeanEDPBK Initiate (136) Jun 8, 2016 New York

Was eating at Ugly Baby on Smith near 4th Street Saturday night which for now is BYOB and two tables over a couple was splitting a 4 pack of Dare I Say that had me seriously jealous (not that it would have put out the multiple fires the food set off throughout my meal).

Still kind of exciting to see their cans in the wild; I want to study the drinker and figure out if they're a #linelyfe'r, convenience consumer (like myself), or through stupid luck ended up with some of Brooklyn's finest liquid gold.

algebeeric_topology and rozzom like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.