Other Half Brewing to open taproom and production facility in Washington, DC

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Todd, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,204) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

Award-Winning Brooklyn-Based Brewery Plans Taproom & Production Facility

Brooklyn, NY (August 12, 2020) – Other Half Brewing co-founders Andrew Burman, Matt Monahan and Sam Richardson are thrilled to announce the October 2020 opening of the brewery’s Ivy City taproom & production facility at 1401 Okie Street NE, Washington, DC, 20002, in the former Pappas Tomato Factory building.

Other Half Brewing will help anchor the new Ivy City retail center neighboring the Hecht Warehouse with a 22,000-square foot production facility and taproom, including a 7,500-square foot outdoor patio with covered pavilion and roof deck and 5,000-square foot indoor tasting and taproom.

Other Half is scheduled to start brewing beer on-site in late September, with initial plans to offer curbside pick-up and delivery. The taproom will offer 20 lines of Other Half beer on draft, as well as limited collaborations from brewers and vintners from around the country and world. In addition, the brewery program will focus on award-winning hazy IPAs, lagers and barrel-aged stouts, as well as special release, limited-edition collaboration beers with eye-catching label art.

“Andrew and I grew up in the D.C. area, and we are honored to open a brewery in our hometown and join the Beltway’s amazing beer scene,” says co-founder Matt Monahan. “We’ve long admired D.C.’s dynamic brewing community and look forward to sharing our beers with guests and to collaborating with some of the world’s best brewers who call D.C. home,” says co-founder Andrew Burman.

“This is the first brewery we built to meet all our specific needs from the start,” says co-founder Sam Richardson. “We’re excited to bring our IPAs – what Other Half is known for – to D.C., but with this purpose-built brewery, we will be able to develop a more robust, barrel-aged Imperial Stout and barley wine program and the larger tanks will allow us to brew more lagers.”

Until the brewery opens, Other Half will do weekly drops of beer brewed at the Brooklyn location at Downtown Crown Wine & Beer in Gaithersburg, MD. For more information on the drops, please visit https://otherhalfbrewing.com/.

Founded in 2014 in Brooklyn, NY, Other Half Brewing is rooted in a simple mission: to push the boundaries of beer. Other Half has built a loyal community of fans around its Brooklyn and Finger Lakes taprooms and innovative Pastrytown and Green City festivals. Other Half has developed partnerships with like-minded breweries around the world to innovate and develop out-of-the box opportunities, including All Together Beer, for members of the brewery community to come together and consistently create new and exciting beers for the brewery’s national fan base.

###

2. mumbles44

mumbles44 Aspirant (237) Jan 22, 2016 New Jersey
    Trader

man, these guys are rich

ColdOne and algebeeric_topology like this.
  3. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,353) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

Looking forward to this. I hope we get similar quality beers. I hope they're aware that DC water is not NYC water though, if you buy into the idea that good tasting water makes good beer (which I do).

4. SpinSamzo

SpinSamzo Aspirant (296) Mar 11, 2017 New York
    Trader

Never heard of them

5. rozzom

rozzom Meyvn (1,008) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

The developer that owns that space is a hardass. And I remember hearing / reading that it was tough going getting everything headed in the right direction with them. Likely not a coincidence that it all came together now, mid-COVID

6. Goobawl

Goobawl Initiate (44) Jan 24, 2015 Maryland

Does that mean no more DTC drops once the DC location opens?

7. jjboesen

jjboesen Meyvn (1,290) Feb 1, 2002 Maryland

Surprised that any new businesses is being opened during these challenging times.

8. algebeeric_topology

algebeeric_topology Zealot (507) Dec 30, 2014 New York
    Trader

The Rochester beers are at least as good as the Brooklyn stuff.

ColdOne and Sheppard like this.
  9. neff_nyc

neff_nyc Initiate (12) Apr 21, 2017 New York

Better. There, I said it.

algebeeric_topology likes this.
  10. Tallerboy

Tallerboy Initiate (142) Jun 17, 2017 New York
    Trader

#OHhatesLocals... Welcome to the suck DMV, but then again you named yourselves after the suck.

11. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,353) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

Specific to my comment about water, Rochester supposedly has the best water in NY State and DC tap water was the butt of a joke on the West Wing.

rozzom and algebeeric_topology like this.
  12. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (818) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

It's been in the works for like 3 years. I can't imagine that backing out was an option at this stage. They're probably banking on can sales carrying them through this until life resembles some kind of normalcy.

Sheppard likes this.
  13. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,149) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

Other Half Brooklyn has 33 cans available, clearly they only care about quantity over quality and its all about marketing now. Their best beers are a shell of their former selves. Been going to brewery literally since day one, have lost hope that their greatness will return.

14. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,834) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Whoa!:astonished:

This is the first time I have read this. What the heck happened and when did it happen?

Cheers!

jrnyc likes this.
  15. algebeeric_topology

Trader

2 things.

a. @jrnyc just discovered root and branch

b. @jrnyc hasn't figured out which beers to avoid yet.

ColdOne, SeanEDPBK, Sheppard and 3 others like this.
  16. jrnyc

Trader

Ha ha , cmon now Rob :slight_smile:! The hall of fame beers I used to love like ACE, Mylar and SD are shells of their former selves. So be it, but that is indisputable. Not enough years in my old bones to try to taste the other 30.

frozyn likes this.
  17. rozzom

Trader

c. @jrnyc has geriatric episodes

SeanEDPBK, Sheppard, FL0 and 3 others like this.
  18. jrnyc

Trader

For me, September of 2019 ACE and Mylar were amazing, a couple of months later, not so much. Throw SD in there too, while drop in SD not so precipitous not up to the best stuff.

I will say Citra +Strata was amazing, but nothing else.

19. jrnyc

Trader

Bring it on boys, the gloves are off.

20. rozzom

Trader

@JackHorzempa here’s the short version of the story

a few months ago pre-covid, @jrnyc was at a pastry stout event hosted by OH. They were doing mag>mouth pours of some triple collaboration pastry stout with wild Thai bananas, peanuts, walnuts, almonds, cotton candy and chocolate. @jrnyc got a pour but sneezed and it came out his nose. He started screaming “moar moar” (he was already obnoxiously drunk) but they said they wanted to spread it round. He had a total conniption, was thrown out, and the rest is (highly disgruntled/pessimistic) history

ColdOne, Greyvtrayn, ESHBG and 7 others like this.
  21. jrnyc

Trader

Other Half specializes in sweet stouts and hazy IPAs, why in the world would take the word of someone who loves smoked beer and rides around in spandex pants in upstate New York?

22. Tallerboy

Tallerboy Initiate (142) Jun 17, 2017 New York
    Trader

I have seen myself drifting towards Finback, I have been at OH figuratively there since day one, probably literally month one... Early enough to be the only dude in the tap room talking to Anthony for an hour before another customer to walks in.

Now 30+ cans is probably a problem, too much fomo. Finback is much easier to have fun with, enjoy a brew a week and be happy knowing I drank 50% of the IPAs vs 10% of them.

rozzom and jrnyc like this.
  23. JackHorzempa

Society

Whoa baby. I can see that given this is Shark Week I have stepped into shark invested waters.

With your forgiveness I will step out of the water now and ....

Cheers!

24. algebeeric_topology

Trader

I'm quite happy with the most recent ACE, though admittedly, maybe I just drink so much of it that my taste has shifted with it! Everybody knows that Bud Light drinker who only likes the taste of Bud Light because it's all they drink. Perhaps that's me with OH. Please, don't pity me.

It also seems like all of these breweries's beers go through some kind of development as the breweries expand. There's the Monson vs Charlton Tree House conversation and we've DEFINITELY seen it with Trillium. In fact, anytime I've been to Tree House over the past few years, I've found it to be a lot like Other Half in one regard. I'll get a variety of cans but there's usually one clear "winner" among the cans much the same way there's usually one very clear beer to get at OH. Maybe it's more about my individual preference though than differences in the beers.

There are plenty of awesome beers that come down from OH Rochester too. I know we don't see those go up for delivery (I'd actually be more keen on a shipped mix pack from Rochester than Brooklyn), but there are always excellent, no frill, hazy IPAs coming down. Perhaps by not deviating from what you perceive as the classics, you're doing yourself a disservice and missing out on better beers!

Though I won't insist you keep with OH or beg you to try more. I have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright. And when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoice. Still, the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone. You'll always be OH Fan Emeritus and welcome at the next meetup, think fall 2021 or so, if for no other reason than you started the first one :slight_smile:

25. jrnyc

Trader

We all knew you are a great mathematician but a great writer too, very well said! I haven’t given up completely yet, but if Citra+Strata ever comes out again and that one is a dud......

26. jrnyc

Trader

Sharks, hazepeckers, their all here but all in good fun.

27. JackHorzempa

Society

Youz guys are a riot!

Cheers!

P.S. Are you the fellow renowned for smooth dance moves at the Sixpoint Saturday releases?:thinking_face:

algebeeric_topology and jrnyc like this.
  28. rozzom

Trader

It ceased being good fun when you got that “PASTRY IS LYFE” tattoo across your chest. Not cool for anyone, but especially bizarre seeing a topless 87 year old walking into a tap room with that on their skin

Peterock27, frozyn, FL0 and 2 others like this.
  29. jrnyc

Trader

Nope , that is the resident Toseboy, @frozyn. If I was more adept at this Internet thing would post him busting a very slow and subtle move.

30. JackHorzempa

Society

Well,...according to frozyn you too can 'bust a move':

"Don't forget about that one time the forecast said it could be 65 and then @jrnyc was dancing half the afternoon to keep his feet warm."

Cheers!

algebeeric_topology likes this.
  31. dugly2ugly

dugly2ugly Aspirant (260) Nov 9, 2010 Maryland
    Trader

That was my reaction as well. It was fun while it lasted. With MD laws, we're probably not going to get any of that delivery they mention either, though VA is probably going to start getting better access.

Sheppard likes this.