Ottawa

Discussion in 'Canada' started by hoser, Nov 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoser

hoser Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2003 Canada (AB)

Only really have time for one place while in Ottawa/Gatineau area where should we go for beers and food?

2. dabeerbuddha

dabeerbuddha Aspirant (285) Feb 4, 2016 Canada (ON)
    Trader

3. clesius

clesius Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2012 Canada (QC)

Hey man!

My suggestion would be to go to Brother's Beer Bistro. You would be able to sample lots of beers from the region and most likely some of Ontario's favorite Bellwood's. Sit at the bar and ask questions. We sampled tons of stuff on our last visit talking to the staff over there. Check out the bottle list.

http://www.brothersbeerbistro.ca/
    https://www.facebook.com/Brothers-Beer-Bistro-234529013298357/

No food but great beer (in order from my personal taste)
    - Beyond the Pale
    - Bicycle
    - Dominion City
    - Stray Dog

FyreStorm likes this.
  4. mtomlins

mtomlins Savant (949) Mar 12, 2010 Canada (ON)

Hey @hoser, last time you rolled through, I think you hit up Wellington Gastropub and BtP right? BtP has since opened their new tap room so you could always check that out, but you might want to spread the love a bit. Tooth and Nail has their Double IPA (Sucker Punch) on tap right now which is super tasty and they have a short menu as well.

Another place you should consider is the new beer bar in Hintonburg call Bar Lupulus. I have not beer there yet, but on paper it looks impressive: 20 taps, great bottle list and a beautiful food menu. I think it's on the expensive side, but the reviews say it's worth it.

If you are staying in the market or downtown areas, not much new there so the old recommendations still hold true (and are still great options!).

Cheers.

5. hoser

hoser Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2003 Canada (AB)

mtomlins likes this.
  6. rejtable

rejtable Initiate (84) Apr 20, 2011 Canada (ON)

Flora Hall brewpub just opened in Centre town. Was in for a quick one last weekend. Really cool spot. The one beer I had (NEIPA) was well done. Not a world beater, but I enjoyed it. I have tried on two consecutive weekends to get into Lupulus on a Saturday evening and turned away with reasonably long wait times both times. YMMV if heading there on the weekend.

If I were heading out of the centre of the city, I'd head to Cheshire Cat before hitting up a place like Stray Dog. And IFIFIFIF I were going to the east end, you are likely just as well off at Dominion City as Stray Dog (depending on what each has on tap). I really like the tap room now at Dominion, really cool place to grab a beer.

mblanke and mtomlins like this.
  7. Jerk_Store

Jerk_Store Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2015 Canada (QC)

Get some cans at Dominion City. Not sure why but I find they're criminally underrated

8. rejtable

Their core lineup is pretty boring. They in in a non-descript industrial park in the east end rather than a cool upcoming neighborhood. Just a couple of reasons.

9. bylerteck

bylerteck Poo-Bah (3,353) May 17, 2009 Canada (ON)
    Society

Their core line-up is also 3 out of 11 beers currently available.

byronic and Jerk_Store like this.
  10. rejtable

Oh I agree. They are pretty easy to avoid. But people who started there 2 years ago and haven't tried anything since still have that first impression.

But also, they have had lots of variety lately, but it can be hit and miss. I am in there pretty regularly, and a few weeks ago for cans the main beers were about half of all varieties available.

Anyway, I'm just offering up reasons why they could be perceived as underrated. Given that I live nearby and can pop in pretty much anytime and grab some great beer, I am happy to have it stay that way! ;-)

11. polloenfuego

polloenfuego Poo-Bah (1,887) Jan 26, 2013 Canada (NB)
    Society Trader

Yes their core two or three beers are not super exciting. But they are producing more variety and quality than anyone else in the city. They are taking chances, not always successful, but chances nonetheless. What has BTP done lately...yawn.

bylerteck likes this.
  12. mblanke

mblanke Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2017 Canada (ON)

13. Seany

Seany Initiate (166) Sep 27, 2005 Canada (QC)

Will be in Ottawa Dec 16. Will be hitting up Dominion City early for cans. May check out Stray Dog while in that area. Trying to decide where to go in Ottawa before the show. Lupulus, Flora Hall are places I have not been to yet. But also do not want to wait in line. Maybe it will be Tooth and Nail again. Any thoughts or comments. Elgin Beer Project? Beerocracy? Prohibition?Thanks.

14. Jerk_Store

Hven't been to many of those places, but yeah, apparently Lupulus gets quite busy on Saturdays. Sorry I can't be of much help :slight_frown:

Seany likes this.
  15. rejtable

Depending on what time you are planning on hitting, both places get very busy. I've been to both a few times, each fun in their own way. Also depends on the vibe you are looking for. Lupulus is definitely more "fancy". it's not a place to hit up and argue about the merits of your local hockey team. Very food focused. My server literally took 5 minutes to explain my charcuterie plate last time I was there.

Floral hall is fun, beer selection is more limited.

If Elgin beer only has that front area seating, it must be crazy in the winter? I was only ever there in the summer and sat outside, the inside seemed tiny??

If you are thinking Lupulus, highly recommend trying to get a reservation. Wouldn't bother even trying to go peak time without one, I don't think.

mtomlins and Seany like this.
  16. Seany

What are you trying to say...

Based on your comments, and our crew, will skip Lupulus.

Might try out Flora, also it is walking distance to the venue.

Thanks.

dabeerbuddha likes this.
  17. rejtable

haha, nothing intended ;-)

Lupulus is basically just another Bros with likely better beer generally. Livelier for sure as I never find crowds at Bros, but that can be good (get seat easy at Bros) or bad (Bros feels dead in there a lot of the time).

One odd thing I found off-putting at Lupulus, but I only noticed it once so not sure if they always do this but the bar seats each had a small plate setting at them. I've never seen that anywhere else and found it off putting. If you don't want me to be able to sit and just have a beer, then don't put bar seats!

Seany likes this.
  18. mtomlins

Hey @Seany, Lupulus does take reservations though. Not sure what your plans are like, but if you can lock in a time, just make a reso!

Seany and dabeerbuddha like this.
  19. Seany

Lupuluis appears to be pretty much booked that whole day already, then realized I will be there the day of NHL outdoor classic. I guess all these places could be a bit of a zoo that day?!

dabeerbuddha likes this.
  20. FyreStorm

FyreStorm Initiate (143) Jun 22, 2013 Canada (ON)

Don't Forget Tooth & Nail and Beyond ThePale

Seany likes this.
  21. rejtable

Can't imagine that Lupulus would be that much impacted by the game. It's far enough away and the core Lupulus market isn't likely to overlap that much with the lunatics willing to stand outdoors IN OTTAWA in December to watch hockey. :wink:

But the place is likely busy enough that any extra marginal traffic in Ottawa tips it from nearly booked to totally booked I guess.

Seany likes this.
  22. bylerteck

Society

Rumour has it there might be a special Founders event coming to Lupulus soon.

byronic likes this.
  23. Jerk_Store

Yep, tap takeover next Sunday, CBS and others

24. rejtable

Nothing to see here, move along...

mtomlins likes this.
  25. Seany

Looks like it's shaping up to be a good weekend to stop by Dominion City!!

Jerk_Store and mtomlins like this.
  26. mtomlins

I've heard great things about Fillabuster!

Jerk_Store and Seany like this.
  27. bylerteck

Society

There's also a mini-release party at Lupulus Thursday for all three.

mtomlins and Seany like this.
  28. bylerteck

Society

CBS
    Breakfast Stout
    Backwoods Bastard
    Azacca IPA
    Centennial IPA
    All Day IPA
    Rubaeus

29. Jerk_Store

Big time! Filibuster is up there with the great NEIPA's I've had. I'm hoping it's the same as the first batch. The second canned batch of Sunsplit went sideways :s

Seany likes this.
  30. Seany

That is quite a statement! Looking forward to trying an awesome looking line up!!

31. pirate99gs

pirate99gs Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2014 Canada (QC)

Hey! don't finish all the beer at Dominion, save some for me!

The Founders event at Lupulus, is it posted somewhere? Was thinking of hitting them up Sunday.

Seany likes this.
  32. Jerk_Store

Also, for those visiting soon, picked up all four beers from Small Pony Barrel Works out in Kanata. Haven't tried them yet, but might be worth checking out.

Seany likes this.
  33. Seany

Trying to squeeze them in, but it doesn't look good. Wish they were open Sunday...

34. Seany

Hey Pieter, when are you going by?

35. pirate99gs

pirate99gs Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2014 Canada (QC)

not sure. think we are leaving Ste Lazare around 10am, not sure where our first stop will be

36. Jerk_Store

Call them Sunday. If they're in, no problem. Went in yesterday :slight_smile:

Seany likes this.
  37. Seany

Dominion Froot Punch no longer being released this weekend...Pre sale only until the 22nd.

38. Teethoflions

Teethoflions Initiate (29) Nov 23, 2017 Canada (NS)

Anyone up for trading me some CBS for some Nova Scotia beers? Can trade anything from IPAs to wheat wines to barrel-fermented saisons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.