Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Outdoor Beer Tap without kegerator

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by avan, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avan

avan Mar 10, 2009 Michigan

I am designing an outdoor backyard bar. I'd like to incorporate a beer tap without buying a kegerator. Perhaps down the road I could invest in a kegerator, but in the meantime, I envision a cooler/ ice filled trashcan on wheels that I could put under the bar and hook up to the tap and CO2 tank. Is this possible? Any ideas/ suggestions? Links to pictures/ set ups that have worked for you?

2. billandsuz

billandsuz Sep 1, 2004 New York

unfortunately your idea won't work, not reliably. for a few reasons.
    beer is food and needs to be kept cold. domestic keg beer, with very few exceptions, needs to be kept cold all the time or it will spoil. draft beer requires a balance of temperature, pressure and resistance. its a three legged stool and it is all required to be in balance for draft beer to work reliably. so if you can monitor your ice temperature every few hours for the life of the keg then this might be possible, but the ice chest went out in the 1930s for good reason. and the amount of ice required over a few months will cost as much as the appliance.

if you would like draft beer outside for a short term event, you can rent or buy a jockey box. they aren't cheap to buy though, and you may as well just buy a kegerator and have the right appliance. jockey boxes work great for one time events like a family reunion, outdoor concert etc.

lastly, outdoor kegerators are available. they are very expensive. you can build one as well. not difficult but if you have never worked with draft beer it would be a steep hill to climb first time out.
    an indoor kegerator, in the garage or basement even, is a consideration. you pour pitchers and leave that at the bbq out of the sun. people love to pour from a pitcher almost as much as pulling a faucet of beer.
    Cheers.

3. Bildo

Bildo Jan 24, 2013 Minnesota

If i am assuming you want a powerless system then the ice system would work on a spuratic times you use the outdoor tap but if you were looking for a daily/ weekend system you would need electricy source

http://www.beermeisters.com/home they have some tap kits for your bar and just have a mini fridge wilth holes drilled and coupled together flow tubes (so you cand remove the fridge and leave the tap stand on the bar)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe