Outside of taste, which element is most important to you?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Jerk_Store, Mar 17, 2016.

?

Which element is most important to you?

1. Appearance

9 vote(s)
    3.4%
  2. Smell

166 vote(s)
    62.9%
  3. Mouthfeel

89 vote(s)
    33.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerk_Store

Jerk_Store Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2015 Canada (QC)

Sounds like a dumb question, but what makes or breaks a beer more for you? Are you most disappointed when a beer doesn't smell as good as you'd hope, the mouthfeel doesn't deliver or the beer looks bad?

For me, I take as many whiffs as I take sips, if not more... Mouthfeel has often been quite the letdown, or pleasant surprise, but going with smell

Premo88 likes this.
  2. Ohmmygawd

Ohmmygawd Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2013 Minnesota

I could live in the smell of an Oude Gueze.

3. buckeye1275

buckeye1275 Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2013 Delaware

Mouthfeel was never a big thing I noticed until I tried Ten Fidy. It just blew my mind and I am now very aware of how much better that can make a beer.

4. yuenglingfan101

yuenglingfan101 Crusader (731) Jul 7, 2010 Ohio

5. Dravin

Dravin Initiate (179) Apr 27, 2014 Indiana

I went with smell. Mouthfeel is undoubtedly important but I think my tolerance for a beer's mouthfeel is looser than it is with smell. Also, there are times I've just spent reveling in the nose of a beer, and while there are beers that have wowed me with their mouthfeel I can't recall a time I've just reveled in it.

dcotom and microbrewlover like this.
  6. jlsims04

jlsims04 Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois

Mouthfeel. Smell and taste are so interconnected its all one thing in my mind.

7. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

None of the above. Appearance, smell and mouthfeel don't matter once I've tasted. Price is pretty important.

8. mwa423

mwa423 Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2007 Ohio

You completely missed the most important thing other than taste: Price.

I can't think of many beers that had a great taste and awful aroma (since those things are directly connected). So, I want a great tasting beer that I bought at a price I consider a value for the money, since taste and aroma are pretty much one and the same. Could mostly give a damn about appearance or mouthfeel.

9. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Poo-Bah (1,843) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Society Trader

Usually mouthfeel, but there are a few beers that have such an amazing aroma that I would have to go with smell.

dcotom likes this.
  10. GreatStoutman

GreatStoutman Crusader (779) Jan 5, 2016 Texas
    Trader

I would love to say smell, but I did some, uh... damage to my nose back in college that doesn't allow me to really get the more nuanced notes.

Therefore, I tend to value an excellent mouth feel.

Jaxbeerdude, tylerstravis and Gemini6 like this.
  11. riotontheroad

riotontheroad Devotee (460) Apr 7, 2010 California
    Trader

its all about the nose! sometimes, if the aroma is compelling, ill smell it for 5 minutes or more before i even take a sip. nothing is more disappointing than a beer that smells amazing and tastes mediocre.

12. Bearshawks85

Bearshawks85 Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2014 Illinois

Good call, I would go with Price too. Mouthfeel out of the 3 options though.

Gemini6 likes this.
  13. TheWolf

TheWolf Disciple (361) May 26, 2015 Delaware
    Trader

Oh, but I still smell her, Charlie. Oooooh Ah!

Andy1010 likes this.
  14. tillmac62

tillmac62 Poo-Bah (1,830) Oct 2, 2013 South Carolina
    Society

On balance, mouthfeel, but for certain beers aroma when it really blows me away.

15. Karnivool1

Karnivool1 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2014 Illinois
    Deactivated

Price and freshness could be other options.

I went with mouthfeel.

16. Dan_K

Dan_K Zealot (515) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

Aroma. I don't tend to use the word "smell" that much.

17. mychalg9

mychalg9 Champion (835) Apr 8, 2010 Illinois

Why wasn't "hype" an option? Out of the remaining choices I picked smell because I can't really drink a beer if I don't like the smell.

18. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,803) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

My thoughts exactly.

mwa423 likes this.
  19. waitwhatamidrinking

waitwhatamidrinking Initiate (148) Aug 17, 2014 Illinois

Turbidity. The more turbid, the better.

20. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,803) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

If it smells I won't drink it.

21. thepenguin

thepenguin Devotee (449) Aug 8, 2010 Massachusetts

Smell. Our olfactory system is such that we're able to gather the greatest amount of information from our sense of smell. As one whisky writer noted, and this may be more relevant to spirits but it's stuck with me, we're only really able to detect a few distinct flavors with accuracy but we're able to tell a lot more about the product from the aroma.

22. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (6,630) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

I love all aspects. First is taste, mouthfeel is next only because I love imperial stouts, smell is so close to 2nd it is almost a tie, and look again is huge, but if I had to give up one it be that.

23. Oktoberfist

Oktoberfist Initiate (116) Nov 26, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Deactivated

Price? As some stated earlier.

24. LordSMAF

LordSMAF Initiate (0) Mar 5, 2011 New Jersey

Can/bottle art

25. TBonez477

TBonez477 Defender (644) Jan 15, 2015 Vermont
    Trader

I had to say mouthfeel because it's the only other sense related to having the beer actually in my mouth. For IPA's I may make an exception and go with smell since basically anything exceptionally dry hopped makes my mouth water.

26. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,808) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

I voted appearance, but it's actually a tie between appearance and body. Smell is so unimportant to me that it's not really a factor 99.9% of the time. One sniff at the beginning, and then into the belly. But man, I look at beers all glass long, I like rings of lacing, the way sunlight strikes a tulip full of Tripel with a nice white head is a thing of beauty. Have you looked across a room and decide to go talk to someone because they smell good? No, you decide to chat that person up because they look good. Now, if when ya get there, they stink, that's a different thing.:wink:

connecticutpoet likes this.
  27. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (3,264) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society

I chose mouthfeel because a beer can still have a weak smell, but if it tastes and feels great it's a top notch beer. Whereas a beer can smell great, but if it is thin, watery and highly carbed it can be harder to drink and almost ruin the experience.

dcotom, Hrodebert and BBThunderbolt like this.
  28. vicbrews

vicbrews Initiate (0) Oct 30, 2015 Illinois

Price, yo.

29. Seanem44

Seanem44 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2014 Virginia

Mouthfeel for sure. I love a good smelling beer, but a good smelling beer does not really equate to how it goes down.

30. CRObighit2

CRObighit2 Aspirant (277) Mar 2, 2014 Canada (ON)

Living in Canada where they tax beer into oblivion, price is very important. I'm not a picky drinker and if i could stand the smell and taste of my first homebrew i can quaff pretty much anything.

connecticutpoet likes this.
  31. greensparkplug

greensparkplug Initiate (94) Nov 28, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

None of the above.

The most important thing is how cool it makes you look to other people.

connecticutpoet and Urk1127 like this.
  32. VashonGuy

VashonGuy Meyvn (1,274) Mar 7, 2013 Washington
    Trader

The three most important factors in real estate are location, location, and location.

The three most important factors for a beer are taste, taste, and taste.

33. FFreak

FFreak Defender (665) Nov 10, 2013 Vermont

Mouthfeel. As was mentioned above, it's not often you'll have a great tasting beer that smells awful. And really there aren't many beers that look terrible. But mouthfeel varies a lot and IMO can really affect the overall quality of a beer. For example, I can't stand the mouthfeel of session beers.

34. rjd722

rjd722 Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2013 Maryland

I went with mouthfeel, because a majority of the time that's true. The beer could smell out of this world, but if the mouthfeel isn't tolerable or enjoyable then it won't matter to me. I could smell a beer all day, but in the end I'll need to drink it too!

thebeers likes this.
  35. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (668) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

Which element is most important to me? Tough call... but I'll say oxygen. Although Hydrogen, carbon, nitrogen are pretty important elements to me too. :wink:

36. Tonyjenlasc

Tonyjenlasc Initiate (0) Jul 6, 2015 New Jersey

Same! Although I believe smell is more important but mouthfeel is HUGE too.

37. Rhymkeeper

Rhymkeeper Initiate (0) Aug 31, 2014 Alabama

Smell (aroma when it's enjoyable) is intertwined and hardly separate from taste. Mouthfeel comes in a bit ( a short bit) later. But as a veteran of mumble mumble years in retail, just as the customer is first, second and third; it's taste, taste, and then taste.

38. Dingbat1477

Dingbat1477 Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2016 New York

Smell for me.

39. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (2,319) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Society

I voted mouth feel. While we first "eat" with our eyes, and appreciate an enticing aroma, the mouth feel lasts the whole beer.

dcotom and laketang like this.
  40. scottbrew4u

scottbrew4u Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2005 Pennsylvania

The all important taste, followed by price(not listed), then smell with mouthfeel a close runner up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.