Overwhelmed by hype

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BigIronH, May 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (473) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

Hype is a hard thing to quantify. |Part will depend on if it's rtuly warranted by the quality of the product, versus being the "next great thing" by whoever, and limits etc.
    I don't do a lot of chasing white whales - there's only a couple releases I go to at this point, down from numbers I don't want to talk about. Same with drops to stores - I won;t chase them all over town, but I have my couple places I go to, if they have it, great, if now, oh well. And sometimes I won't even bother with it, even if it's there, I've had them, and I'll let someone else have it.
    Truth is, for almost every highly rated beer that you have to chase down, there's another that's 95% as good sitting on a shelf nearby.
    There are a few releases that are as much about the party and event as the beer - Dark Lord Day, for instance. |I wasn't paying attention this year, but if it does get back to how it was 'before,' |I wouldn't mind going again. I was there some time ago, though it was because I was in the area already that weekend, and decided to give a shot to get tickets. If I didn't, it wouldn't have been a huge deal. I don;t know that I'd make an express trip JUST for it, though.

cavedave, BigIronH and jonphisher like this.
  2. BigIronH

BigIronH Poo-Bah (1,935) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

That makes a lot of sense as well and echos what a lot of folks have said. Shoot, I haven’t even really looked into obtaining any “white whale” type beers yet, nor do I think I will at this point. The beers I’m in search for were really just hyped IPA’s that are reviewed well and the only reason I haven’t already had them is because most of them are brewery only or at least regional distribution that I simply don’t have access to. As far as the rare or hard to find/aged/numbered bottle thing, I haven’t even reached that point yet.

3. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,211) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

“Hype breweries” are fun but they’re never anything I really go out of my way for. If I happen to be in a place where I can get to try some well respected breweries I try to make the effort but I couldn’t imagine paying extra cash in 2021 to get your hands on a special beer. Maybe 1-15 years ago, sure but not anymore. Every state in the country has at least a few world class breweries these days. I do enjoy trading some local beers that are sought after for other random beers I’ve never tried, but I haven’t felt the need to chase down the latest/greatest beer in maybe a decade or more.

Squire, Rocktire and Harrison8 like this.
  4. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (8,422) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

In my experience the shiny new toy, always looses it's lustre.

I have seen this show so many times.

I have had some of the 'hyped' beers through much of my time, and what has changed dramatically is that there is even more good beer closer to me than ever before. Sometimes even as good or better than the top rated/traded stuff here.

Try not to lose the forest through the trees.

I see it as here today..
    Gone tomorrow.

But my good beer will always be there.

cavedave, JackHorzempa and BigIronH like this.
  5. Smakawhat

Society

Ack

Me and spelling sometime...

Loses... not LooSEs.... argh. Sorry about that.

BigIronH and cavedave like this.
  6. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,108) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

In a poetic sense a shiny toy looses its lustre before it loses its lustre. Just sayin'. :grin:

7. Giantspace

Giantspace Meyvn (1,051) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Jack,

I really enjoy Dankful as well. While it’s not very fresh now it’s still better than the six of Hop Hunter I grabbed today and saw December 2019 on the bottle. I had to look again to make sure that was right. I really like HH and SN beers hold up but at 18 months no.

Enjoy

BigIronH likes this.
  8. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (160) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

NEVER trust hype, just trust your taste buds and pragmatism. Half the people who a chase beer have no palate for it, over inflate the beers value, and the other half who would genuinely appreciate it get shafted by the first half watching as the beer gets either poorly rated or perfect scores that make no sense to the beer. The funny thing I always tell my customers about hype is that you can't taste it, but you'll sure pay for it. Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast. No hype.

9. BigIronH

Society Trader

I agree to the extent I end up getting shafted by hype but on the other hand when you have a brewery only beer that you can’t get simply because they don’t distribute to your area or at all doesn’t necessarily mean it’s an overhyped beer but maybe it deserves the hype surrounding it and the demand of the beer itself allows that hype to flourish.

PapaGoose03 and Junior like this.
  10. Beer_Stan

Trader

Sure, I can see that, but that's a lot of maybe for untasted beer depending on it's price point and level of access to it. I've waiting in long ass lines just for some Monkish IPA (which is supposed to be i guess legendary), and it tasted like 95% of Monkish beer(they all have different labels but taste about the same overall) , I usually tend to enjoy some of their classic Belgian style offerings they don't even package anymore which was their namesake (the monk in Monkish) because it's better beer IMO. I'm not judging the breweries for making exclusive product and fans for seeking it out but the culture surrounding it tends to overinflate what is essentially, potentially a great beer deserving of due praise as "godtier" when it hardly ever is. It's usually the sleeper beers or forgotten bygone classics that blow our minds and they are all around us, no heightened cost or effort required and definitely no long lines.

11. BigIronH

Society Trader

I agree with all of that. I actually ready that in its inception, the founder of Monkish was anti-IPA simply because of what the haze craze has done to the industry and now they brew almost exclusively hazies. I guess sometimes you have to get off the high horse for the sake of your pocket book. But it’s still one of the breweries I had in mind when I made this post. The secondary prices on their beers online are 2-3x retail and the cost of a limited release glass can approach 150 dollars so I would say the hype has definitely encased the brand.

Beer_Stan and jonphisher like this.
  12. jonphisher

jonphisher Poo-Bah (1,526) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Didn’t they used to have a giant “no ipa” sign when they started. Oh the irony.

13. Beer_Stan

Trader

Oh yea and made a huge stink back in the day about it.
    "History, it seems, is not without a sense of irony"

14. Beer_Stan

Trader

And while the hypebeasts and Ahabs may rejoice, I'll just keep enjoying the beer I like and experimenting with new and different styles for a fair price and fair effort. :sunglasses:

Squire and BigIronH like this.
  15. Treyliff

Treyliff Poo-Bah (5,527) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Society Trader

I'm about 12 years into my craft beer journey. I stopped chasing the hype train about 4 years ago, partially because you can find great craft beer almost anywhere in America now. That wasn't the case a decade ago.

Squire, Rocktire, PapaGoose03 and 3 others like this.
  16. BigIronH

Society Trader

Right. There was a similar comment train earlier in the thread. I can definitely see how the standard of what is and is not rare can affect the hype. As I mentioned previously, all B the most hyped beers of a decade ago, I was able to try within weeks of beginning my journey in craft beer. Distribution is at a level that was previously unseen. All the more reason to ignore the hype, right?

CB_Michigan and Junior like this.
  17. Treyliff

Treyliff Poo-Bah (5,527) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Society Trader

Yeah, I couldn't even tell you what the most sought after beers are these days. But in WV 10 years ago, outside of Sam Adams and Sierra Nevada, we had maybe 5 craft breweries that were available. I used to travel to surrounding states just to find 'trade bait' to trade for beers across the country. Traded was exciting and expensive, but I rarely do it anymore. I've also added a couple of full-time trade partners over the years as well. We just send each other random boxes every few months.

BigIronH likes this.
  18. BigIronH

Society Trader

Yes at this point I’m more concerned about trying new things than I am about trying what’s hyped, and as far as the most hyped beers today, look at the top 25 on the top 250 list abs that’s most of them with the exception of some Monkish IPA’s

Treyliff likes this.
  19. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,828) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Whoa! :astonished:

FWIW I have been buying quite a bit of Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA from my local Wegmans since I have consistently been able to buy these beers less than a month from canning. I still have a couple of cans in my refrigerator from my last six-pack purchase: canned 4/18/21.

It always pays to check dates prior to purchasing.

Cheers!

BigIronH likes this.
  20. PrimustheOne

PrimustheOne Initiate (73) Nov 23, 2016 New Hampshire

My first experience with the hype train was about 10-15 years ago during brief period when pine forward hop flavors were in vogue.

I purchased a 16 "bomber" from a brewery in Maine for about $6, and a 6 pack from some brewery in the mid west that I don't remember for about the same price.

I couldn't tell the difference in flavor profile between the two.

More recently, I've experienced the same with NE IPAs.

Despite this, I strongly considered waiting in line for a chance to by Kate the great (back then). I ultimately decided against it.

Now a days, it's just not necessary.

jonphisher and BigIronH like this.
  21. BigIronH

Society Trader

I agree but to each his own. Some people live for the lines, the special releases, the 2x secondary’s. At this point, after all the given advice on this thread, it definitely seems like more work than reward to obtain some of these beers.

PapaGoose03, cavedave and Rocktire like this.
  22. Smakawhat

Society

I agree that there are times you want to treat yourself, or try something perhaps "special" have a journey... go somewhere you haven't been before for a beer. not going to say I haven't done the same.

But it's interesting that "Monkish" is coming up in discussion (not just here but in other threads I have seen too), because I remember trying them before they were a "hyped" brewery. Had only one beer, a tripel which was ok. However, nobody talked about them, but I am a big tripel fan and saw that I could easily buy one from a vendor on the West coast so I grabbed one from them. The brewery at the time didn't have a lot of offerings then I seem to remember. They certainly weren't talked about either .. this was back in 2014.

So now they are considered sought after? I had no idea.. just seems funny to me.

That's not saying they don't make good beer either. Its just funny how things turn out some times.

Harrison8, BigIronH and cavedave like this.
  23. JackHorzempa

Society

Ethan,

It would seem that you experienced Monkish before they became a hyped/high demand brewery. Below is an extract from a 2016 article:

“Tickers and traders had taken notice, and so did Los Angeles Times freelancer, John Verive. “The IPAs came out of nowhere,” he admits. “It was the third or fourth weekend they were doing a release and I decided to drive down to Torrance. I drove by the brewery about a half hour before noon and there were 300 people in line in the parking lot waiting for these IPAs.”

And that’s the way it’s gone, virtually every week since. Over the past few months, hype has grown, crowds have swelled. People drive in from Vegas or fly down from the Bay Area. Lines form well before the brewery even opens. A wristband system has been implemented. Monkish has gone from selling 18-month beers to selling 18-day beers, and the people can’t get enough.”

https://www.goodbeerhunting.com/blog/2016/8/9/brewing-by-feel-monkish-brewing-company-in-torrance-ca

Cheers!

24. BigIronH

Society Trader

It is funny actually because I don’t even know if they would brew a tripel today because I don’t think their fan base would line up for it. The hazy IPA’s are what their customers want, and it seem as though it’s what they do well. Although, I have yet to try one so I can’t speak on the actual quality itself. But, plenty of people, here and on other sites, are definitely going crazy for the beer.

Harrison8 and Junior like this.
  25. bwarner2015

bwarner2015 Initiate (99) Mar 25, 2016 Connecticut

I stopped chasing beers a few years ago when I realized I had tons of amazing local offerings that were just as good. Too many times I was disappointed with that over-hyped beer that I drove hours to find. So now I just try as many local brews as I can. And if I ever travel, I seek out their local offerings.. I find it a better feeling to find that amazing hidden gem that you stumbled upon by chance, rather than hunting down that potentially overhyped brew.

Beer_Stan and BigIronH like this.
  26. Smakawhat

Society

Great find, the IPAs came out of nowhere!! well not really they just made them... their not pink unicorns exactly :stuck_out_tongue:

BigIronH and Junior like this.
  27. JackHorzempa

Society

28. hudsonvalleyslim

hudsonvalleyslim Disciple (366) May 29, 2003 Massachusetts

There is so much fine-brewed beer found locally everywhere now, unless you REALLY want to, you'll find the quality you're looking for locally.

BigIronH and Harrison8 like this.
  29. BigIronH

Society Trader

Yeah and that was really what I was trying to figure out is if the beer was actually worth the hype. Obviously in your regard it wasn’t because you were disappointed with it. I’ve come to understand through reading through this thread many are in that same boat. Although they may not be “disappointed” with the certain beer, it seems most can agree they’ve found something at least as good, maybe better, for half the effort and cost.

bwarner2015 and cavedave like this.
  30. BigIronH

Society Trader

31. moodenba

moodenba Defender (637) Feb 2, 2015 New York

Sort of an extreme reaction to the new exotic crafts. But I would also get comments from the tickers and traders for my preferences. I generally like tamer beers myself (Montauk Driftwood, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Greenport Porter, even Lidl Perlenbacher Pilsener). These are beers that I can pick up without a hassle. In my case, age is affecting the palate and reducing consumption. Lower alcohol means I can easily drink more than one.

32. moodenba

moodenba Defender (637) Feb 2, 2015 New York

The environment of trendy beers and beer fads means that almost everything is here-today gone-tomorrow. Any opinion on whether Tree House will retain its reputation, much less be around in 10 years? The future is incredibly uncertain for every craft brewer.

BigIronH likes this.
  33. BigIronH

Society Trader

It depends on a few things. One of which is distribution in my opinion. Founders would never be able to have the reputation it has if it hadn’t been able to work it’s way into national distribution. It also detracted from the hype that surrounded their beers but many would argue that that is a good thing because people who never got to try CBS and others are now able to get them with regularity. Some would also argue that the quality of the beer declined but that’s neither here nor there because many of us would rather have tried it at 9/10 than never tried it at all when and if it was a 10/10. It seems the staples of the industry are not necessarily “here today gone tomorrow” as you put it, at least in my humble opinion. I don’t think IPA’s are going anywhere. I think that certain styles have proved themselves to be more than just a fad and I think it will continue to be a contest on who can do them better and who can continue to innovate within any and all particular realms of the industry. I also think there are certain breweries who have proven they have lasting power and continue to exhibit energy to stay for an extended period of time. Whether Treehouse is one of those breweries, I couldn’t say for sure. Time will tell on all of these things.

Junior, PapaGoose03 and moodenba like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.