Oxbow Brewing Co. (2022)

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by mrmattosgood, Jan 3, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrmattosgood

mrmattosgood (494) Nov 6, 2010 Canada (BC)
    Trader

Oxbow Brewing Company is a small farmhouse brewery located in rural Newcastle, Maine. The brewery is nestled in an enchanted forest amongst rolling farmlands and winding tidal rivers, of which the ebb and flow provide a constant reminder that the coast is near.

The name Oxbow is inspired by the bends in these rivers, the Dyer in particular, which features stunning horseshoe-shaped oxbows where the river covers tremendous ground to travel what could otherwise be a very short linear distance. We employ a similar approach when crafting our beers, taking months or years to create a beverage that is commonly produced in a matter of days.

Oxbow Brewing Co. has three Maine locations.

Newcastle:
    274 Jones Woods Rd
    Newcastle, ME 04553
    1 (207) 315-5962

Friday
    12pm – 5pm
    Saturday
    12pm – 6pm
    Sunday
    12pm – 5pm

Portland:
    49 Washington Ave
    Portland, ME 04101
    1 (207) 350-0025

Monday
    12pm – 9pm
    Tuesday
    12pm – 9pm
    Wednesday
    12pm – 9pm
    Thursday
    12pm – 11pm
    Friday
    12pm – 11pm
    Saturday
    12pm – 11pm
    Sunday
    12pm – 9pm

Oxford:
    420 Main Street
    Oxford, ME 04270
    1 (207) 539-5178

Wednesday
    4pm – 8pm
    Thursday
    4pm – 8pm
    Friday
    4pm – 8pm
    Saturday
    12pm – 8pm
    Sunday
    12pm – 8pm

Order curbside to-go here.

A brewery profile from Good Beer Hunting.

hops_for_thought likes this.
  2. mrmattosgood

Trader

If anyone needs me, I'll be under an A-frame this weekend eating poutine and drinking Super Saison, Liquid Swords 2021 and Night Church celebrating my 40th birthday.

bruindre, hopley, mvogt and 7 others like this.
  3. seanunreal

seanunreal (0) Jul 23, 2009 Massachusetts

Grabbed a Nocturnality last time I was up and it was fantastic. Merroir was also very good.

mrmattosgood likes this.
  4. Sheppard

Sheppard (1,053) Mar 16, 2013 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Thank you for including this. :wink:

mrmattosgood likes this.
  5. mrmattosgood

Trader

Gotta get them views

6. JonnyJuicebox

JonnyJuicebox (310) Jun 3, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

Had a draught pour of Amorous back in November and I've been thinking of it ever since. Oxbow is truly the best brewery in Maine...and I'd say all of New England if Vermont didn't exist

hopley, Sheppard and Davl22 like this.
  7. mrmattosgood

Trader

So I was actually debating between farmhouse ales and Duckfat or Maine Beer and pizza.

i figured I can do IPAs and pizza pretty much anywhere.

Sheppard and Davl22 like this.
  8. Davl22

Davl22 (577) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

Has anyone else tried the Native/Wild: Two Season blend? The added barrel character was great but it was definitely up there with the most acidic beers I've had from them. It made finishing the 750ml a tad more difficult. I thought Amarelle was one of their best of 2021. Also, if anyone from Oxbow is seeing this....batch of Saisontino in 2022?

mrmattosgood and Sheppard like this.
  9. Davl22

Trader

Both incredible, but Duckfat and farmhouse all day.

mrmattosgood and Sheppard like this.
  10. mrmattosgood

Trader

Certainly one I have been eyeing either there or to go, though your description makes me pause.

Framboviese may have been my favorite of theirs from last year.

I shy away from dark farmhouse ales typically, but I can't imagine I'm not taking some of the Merroir and Nocturnality. I just can't pass up anything that has Side Project's name attached to it.

Davl22 and Sheppard like this.
  11. Sheppard

Society Trader

I haven't had any of their beers for a while, but isn't Side Project also known for being on the acidic side?

12. mrmattosgood

Trader

It's been a few years for me, too. I don't recall them being overly acidic, but I do recall their popular beer there ... Fuzzy? ... being on the tart side but it's a peach beer, so that's slightly expected.

Sheppard likes this.
  13. mrmattosgood

Trader

Man, what a trip the pre-Covid place was! I was 1,200 miles away from home in a city I probably won't ever visit again (though I'm a big Oregon Trail/westward expansion guy so maybe not). I was there alone, splitting $35 bottles of mixed fermentation beers with a complete stranger. Pouring all weekend long. The Arch was shut down for construction. Fine city, St. Louis.

14. LakesideBrewing

LakesideBrewing (348) Dec 1, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

A bunch of us went to the Oxford location last week. The fire pits, the A frames with heaters, amazing beers, and a great vibe. But the pizza, holy shit! I had no idea they were killing the wood fired pizza game up there! Great job, guys.

15. mrmattosgood

Trader

Can confirm: Portland is fun in the winter.

Beautifully lit. Good crowds, but no waits.

Oxbow and some Duckfat. Great as always. Really loved the Noctunality (collab with Side Project).

Belleflower was a half pour and go. Had some Galaxy beer. It was fine. Wife had the Baltic Porter which was better.

Grabbed a quickie Six Grain at Austin Street. I love that beer.

Rented one of the igloos at The Yard. Drinks were good, food was terrible. We got nachos (nachos!!!) and ate about two bites and didn’t touch the rest.

Dinner was a slice at Slab. Novare for the mliko tubes and a lagah. Blythe & Burrows for a drink at the end of the night (Hunt & Alpine closed).

Brunch at Union. Delicious.

rhino88888888 likes this.
  16. JonnyJuicebox

JonnyJuicebox (310) Jun 3, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

That has been my experience with all those breweries that opened up in the area...lone pine, belleflower, goodfire. everything is good but Portland has stiff competition. If you want a good IPA Bissell can't be beat. I'd rather just go to any bar and have a substance on draft.

And then Oxbow is just, the fucking best

Sheppard, Davl22 and mrmattosgood like this.
  17. hopley

hopley (1,064) Feb 24, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I had a Saison Noel last night, had been sitting on a counter-pressurized bottle for a couple years and had been really excited to try it for all that time. Really nice. Basically a dark Belgian farmhouse ale. Thick and solid with a bit of bubble guy, nice head. Perfect winter beer.

18. hopley

hopley (1,064) Feb 24, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

In addition to the bubble guy, I also liked the bubble gum...:slight_smile:

mrmattosgood likes this.
  19. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 (1,043) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Society Trader

A Grodziskie from Oxbow & Rising Tide

Davl22 and Ryanwithacomb like this.
  20. mvogt

mvogt (417) Sep 10, 2021 Massachusetts

Ooooooh.

21. M-Fox24

Society Trader

22. Davl22

Trader

Tix bought. Favorite beer event of the year.

23. Stormfield

Stormfield (0) Feb 21, 2011 Massachusetts

If you like Cascade hops (and why on earth wouldn’t you?), I highly recommend Maine State Lager. Very pleasant drinking experience. Going for can #2 now. May need to go out and buy another 4 pack.

Davl22, Trull and rightcoast7 like this.
  24. Stormfield

I’ve been four times—it is an awesome event. I know, I’m bragging about it, so what?

Unfortunately, not gonna make it this year. Would love to have a beer with folks who frequent the New England (sorry, “Northeast”) Forums.

25. rightcoast7

rightcoast7 (475) Apr 2, 2011 Maine
    Trader

Was crushing these all weekend at Phish. Great summer beer.

brother_rebus and Stormfield like this.
  26. brother_rebus

brother_rebus (0) Jul 28, 2014 Maine
    Trader

in a simple twist up dave, I was hoisting a 4th of july commemorative budweiser 12oz can at the exact moment the bald eagle (pictured on can) flew over the banks of the penobscot. epcot.

27. mrmattosgood

Trader

If you like Oxbow and fishing, you may like this story.

mgp, nh2032 and rhino88888888 like this.
  28. mrmattosgood

Trader

Who is going to GftW? I just had that weekend open up and I'm considering closing it and going this year.

duchessedubourg likes this.
  29. Stormfield

You definitely should. I’ve been lots of times (alas, not this year). They’ve made it better than ever. The amount of drink choices is absurd. It’s the perfect time of year to be on the mid coast too. And if you have time, make sure to go to Shuck Station for oysters then get the seafood stew at King Eider’s after your Shuck Station visit. You won’t be disappointed.

Davl22 and mrmattosgood like this.
  30. M-Fox24

Society Trader

31. Sheppard

Society Trader

Oxbow announced they are releasing a smoked helles tomorrow. Not sure it'll see distro, am sure it will be delicious.

32. mrmattosgood

Trader

Perhaps it's just that Oxbow is noooooooooooowhere near me (like I literally do not see anything other than out of code Northern Lager and zero bottles), but they've sort of faded away in my mind. I love Oxbow. So this needs to change.

A smoked helles sounds great. Did they do a GftW beer this year? It must almost be Liquid Swords time too.

33. guinness77

guinness77 (953) Jan 6, 2014 New York
    Society

If the smoked helles is anything like Sap Haus then…hell yes. I have the same problem as @mrmattosgood though…Oxbow has been nowhere near me lately. Must buy if I happen to see it though.

mvogt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.