Paint Strainer Bags - Safe For Secondary?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by treyrab, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. treyrab

treyrab Champion (827) Aug 26, 2007 California
    Beer Trader

Hi all - quick question here.

I did not have any muslin bags to put my cranberries in for secondary, so I grabbed a one-gallon paint strainer bag. I know some folks use these for partial mash, but wanted to make sure they were safe and/or don't cause off flavors if used in secondary. The bag has been in the carboy now for two days.

Thanks!

2. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2011 Illinois

my brother uses them and has never had a problem. he usually boils them for a couple minutes then rinses them really good and then sanitizes them with everything else. good luck!

3. hopsandmalt

hopsandmalt Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2006 Michigan

I use Paint strainer bags from the hardware store to keg hop with no noticeable off flavors.

NiceFly likes this.
  4. PoopstainKilla

PoopstainKilla Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2012 Michigan

I've used them many times, so far so good. Both in boil and in the Fermenter (Secondary),

5. NiceFly

NiceFly Aspirant (275) Dec 22, 2011 Tajikistan

Me too.

6. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Defender (679) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

Cheaper and bigger than what they carry in my LHBS or an online retailer.

7. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,586) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Supporter Subscriber

I just used one as a dry hop sack recently. No off flavors detected. My only concern about these things is that they aren't food grade.

8. akakii

akakii Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2009 Virginia

Same here. I sanitize mine and use it for dry hopping in secondary. Never any problems.

9. geezerpk

geezerpk Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2010 South Carolina

Then don't eat them! :wink::grinning:

koopa and HerbMeowing like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.