Panil sour and pizza?

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by atomeyes, Apr 12, 2013.

1. atomeyes

atomeyes Jul 13, 2011 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

in my head, it works...

in real life, does it?

2. fistfight

fistfight Jan 13, 2006 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

The Panil Barrilique Reserva? I haven't paired the two myself, but I'm really liking Gueuze with pizza lately. I always use some type of smoked or cured meat, which adds richness, which may be why the pairing works. The bubbles help cut the fat while the sour/tang/funk pairs particularly well, even holding up to the high acidity and sweetness of the San Marzano tomatoes. Going off my Panil tasting notes, it seems like the flavors and sourness could pair nicely. I mentioned red wine in my notes, with some mineral qualities and dark fruit. I did note that the carbonation was low, so maybe 86 anything fattier than the cheese?

I'll have to try this sometime myself, considering I make pizzas at least once a week and wrote positive comments on the beer, but I can't remember it at all. As a side note, if you cook pizzas in your oven you should check out baking steels. They upped my pizza game more than any ingredient or dough recipe could have.

3. smakawhat

smakawhat Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Subscriber

Could depend on the pie, I usually prefer a food pairing with gueuze rather than drinking it alone.

Trying it isnt going to kill you...

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe