Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Parabola '13 or Sucaba '13?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by black13, Apr 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. black13

black13 Apr 11, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

I just had my first bottle of Parabola 13' and it takes like a BA barleywine to me. Has anyone else had this same finding? Maybe I got a bottle of Sucaba with a Parabola label?

2. BeastLU

BeastLU Dec 20, 2012 Virginia

What? They look totally different. Were you bottle swiggin?

3. StarRaptor

StarRaptor Jun 8, 2010 California

was the color not pitch black?

4. black13

Beer Trader

No swiggin here. Now that I look at it, it looks more like Sucaba than Parabola. It's dark brown rather than dark black.

5. BeastLU

BeastLU Dec 20, 2012 Virginia

This is Sucaba...
    [​IMG]

Light head is a dead give away. And the dark counter makes it look darker than it is.

6. draheim

draheim Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Beer Trader

First. Why do you put the ' after the 13? You realize that the ' is short for 2000 right? Just saying.
    Second. I don't think Parabola '13 has reached Seattle yet, but I simply can't imagine confusing Parabola and §ucaba. They are, like, totally different beers. I guess I'll have to wait til I get a bottle though...

7. PsilohsaiBiN

PsilohsaiBiN Aug 10, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

BCBS '11 or KH '11?

AnotherImperial and black13 like this.
  8. JOrtt

JOrtt Dec 20, 2012 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Parabola has not been distributed outside the state yet. The only way they have tried this is if he picked up a trade from someone.

9. dar482

dar482 Mar 9, 2007 New York
    Beer Trader

Pictures... Of the bottle and the beer poured in the glass. This wouldn't make much sense, but who knows, mistakes happen. Doubt it's '13 Sucaba though, since that isn't out.

10. black13

Beer Trader

Parabola 2013 is all over Portland right now. I do have a picture of the beer in the glass, and when I figure out how to post a picture from my phone I'll do it. I just compared another bottle I got from the same batch of Parabola 2013 with a 2011 Abacus and 2011 Parabola. The 2013 Parabola is darker than the 2011 Abacus but lighter than the 2011 Parabola. Who knows what I was drinking, but it wasn't anything like the first three releases of Parabola.

11. JOrtt

Beer Trader

This years batch was barrelled in different barrels than previous years, maybe that's what you're getting in the flavor profile, and I did doubt you on availability. It was released on the 15th of April, and the local stores around the brewery have just gotten it Wed the 24th (BevMo). Thats why I doubted it was in Portland.

12. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Sep 24, 2010 Nebraska
    Beer Trader

Anyone else getting a barleywine flavor?

Ayelikebeer likes this.
  13. watsonmd

watsonmd May 16, 2009 Georgia

the '15 is much better.... let it age though...

thaghost, mggkohl, 2beerdogs and 2 others like this.
  14. MontereyBay831

MontereyBay831 Dec 15, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

It was a parabacaba... Parabola mixed with sucaba mixed with a chupacabra

15. DerekMorgan

DerekMorgan Jan 15, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

2013 Sucaba is out here in bottles and had it in a couple bars, Parabola hasn't made its way out to MA yet. And for the record, 2013 Sucaba is BOMBBB

kpacedo likes this.
  16. HKUSPC40

HKUSPC40 Aug 28, 2012 Washington

Yeah it's not in Seattle yet. Any day now. I believe the Firestone guy is gonna be at TW Bellevue tomorrow (4/27).

17. honkduh

honkduh Jun 2, 2011 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Portland got it on the 23rd

@TheBeermongers: @FirestoneWalker Parabola 2013 bottles are IN! Also Base Camp Rye Pils & Klamath Basin Lone Pine DIPA #pdxbeer

18. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Nov 11, 2011 Ohio
    Beer Trader

13?

19. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Sep 24, 2010 Nebraska
    Beer Trader

Stuff is in CO. Opened one last night and I get zero barleywine. Must be missing something.

20. JOrtt

Beer Trader

Glad you have it...buy all you can.

21. MrDave

MrDave Jan 23, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Cracked a bottle last night. I'm with you this is nothing like Parabola of the past and more like a barleywine. Unfortunately, I wish it tasted more like Sucaba. What I got was closer to Guinness and Welch's. This was weirdly thin, kinda tart, and had a very unpleasant cheap-red-wine-taste in finish. Far from the thick, smooth, rich, well-balanced beer of 2010 or 20011 (I didn't get any of last years). Really bummed on this, but glad to hear someone else noticed something is amiss...

black13 likes this.
  22. JGam115

JGam115 Apr 8, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

Reading the thread, I'm slightly concerned. I had a bottle of '12 Parabola in January which was a pitch black, definitely unmistakable stout-style brew. I understand that the barrels changed, but how a stout can be mistaken for a barleywine - to me - is insane. I'm hoping for my sake there were a few faulty tagged bottles that got out (which in itself is shocking). Transit or shelf storage has always been a concern of mine as well, so maybe a handful of bottles spoiled?

They haven't hit NYC yet, but I'm fixing to pick up 2-3 bottles so I can crack one now and cellar the others.

23. MrDave

Beer Trader

I'm hoping you're right because I have 3 of these in the cellar. A buddy of mine had it on tap side by side with the 12 and said the 13 was thicker, chewier, and richer (and simply better). That's not what was in the bottle I opened.

24. Rainier

Rainier Dec 20, 2012 California

i think it's the barrel aged tastes that makes both beers taste similar. Parabola has more hop bitterness in it.

25. BrettHead

BrettHead Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

:confused:

Crazy how I drank one last week then ;)

alysmith4, MrDave and RobertColianni like this.
  26. jageraholic

jageraholic Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Looking at Untappd, all the pictures look very stoutish and descriptions sounds very much like a BA imperial Stout. Not reading anything about being barleywine tastes except for one that says a faint tart cherry taste.

27. Highbrow

Highbrow Jan 7, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

unless bottled a distance back, i'd have to guess released April 15 & *spoiled* with-in 2 weeks only sounds plausible if it sat on a broken down truck in the Mojave ( randomly chosen location ) during transit.
    with this being sort of a "second" - curious and never really paid attention - does anyone know if Parabola is bottled in batches or 1 large vatting & a single bottling run?

FriarTuckInLuck likes this.
  28. bramsdell

bramsdell May 27, 2011 North Carolina

Have you contacted FW yet?

BrettHead, Piddmeista and Highbrow like this.
  29. SirBottlecap

SirBottlecap Jan 28, 2013 California

How did 2 bottles of '13 Sucaba make it into my beer closet? A miracle!

ThatOneGuyMoe likes this.
  30. BourbonBarrelBeerBelly

BourbonBarrelBeerBelly Feb 13, 2013 Washington
    Beer Trader

Pretty sure I know a place that got it today! Check...

Chuck's on 85th
    Big Star Beer Mart
    Central Market
    The Beer Authority
    Special Brews

draheim likes this.
  31. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Jul 12, 2012 California

Wow. Experiences really vary huh. I found this to be my favorite Para to date. Got a bunch of them.

32. black13

Beer Trader

I have. They told me there is no way it is a bottling error. I sent them a picture of the beer in a glass. Waiting to see what they have to say.

33. BrownAleMale

BrownAleMale Dec 14, 2011 Wisconsin
    ¡Bad Trader! Beer Trader

Not true, one of my bottle shop had it on Saturday

34. dianimal

dianimal Apr 18, 2012 California

maybe someone put a bottle of Sucaba in the Parabola box? Did you open the box before you got it home?

35. Highbrow

Highbrow Jan 7, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

when can we see the picture? maybe try copying it & pasting it directly into a post here.

alysmith4 and draheim like this.
  36. JOrtt

Beer Trader

I know that...read the other posts

37. henskejk

henskejk Feb 10, 2011 California

I had it on tap at the Barrelworks on release day and it was delicious and did not taste like a barleywine. Haven't had any of my bottles yet, but hope nothing went wrong with the bottling as I have picked up quite a few.

38. QuadrantThree

QuadrantThree Aug 14, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

just opened a 13. it does have a bit of a barleywine nose and a bitter hop after taste/sourness, as well as some heat. nothing like any other vintage ive had. this makes me sad.

MrDave likes this.
  39. BedetheVenerable

BedetheVenerable Sep 5, 2008 Missouri

Lol, I thought this was a 'which is better' thread. I came here to say, Sucaba over Parabola, every vintage, every time.

MrDave, EyePeeAyBryan and exitmusic00 like this.
  40. MrDave

Beer Trader

Did you notice the body to be thinner than in previous releases too? I'm still hoping we were the unlucky few that somehow got off-bottles. Otherwise, the three in the cellar are going to be trading bricks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe