Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Parabola '13 or Sucaba '13?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by black13, Apr 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 46and2

46and2 Mar 28, 2008 Minnesota

I have 2 bottles of '13 Sucuba (I'm in Minnesota so it was a trade) but I'm COMPLETELY willing to side by side them, strictly as a guinea pig of course, to determine what is going on here.

Now, who wants my shipping address for 2 bottles of Parabola?

2. 01Ryan10

01Ryan10 Sep 10, 2011 California

I konw...lol...2013 Sucaba was released around February this year. Not sure why people are saying it's not out.

3. Rau71

Rau71 Dec 12, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

I thought '13 Parabola was very close to the '12 Parabola. Minor differences, but still nothing close to a Barleywine. Black thick mouthfeel. This has been both on tap at the brewery and in bottles. There is no way it could have been a bottling issue since they bottle these beers 2 months apart. I could do any combination of side-by-sides but I haven't found there to be any need for that.

4. draheim

draheim Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Beer Trader

Not trying to be alarmist here, but would anyone who's gotten a bottle that seemed "off" (meaning not what you expected) go so far as to suggest that it might be infected? Or is it just different from any previous batch of Parabola you've had? The references to "tart," "red wine," and "sour" qualities make me wonder if this is a possibility. However, I don't think infection would affect the color as some have indicated.

5. evilc

evilc Jan 27, 2012 California

This is the THICKEST Parabola to date imo. It's amazing. Has a BCBS '11 mouthfeel to it which was huge. The nasty tobacco taste of the '12 is gone. What's left is a thick, delicious BA stout.

ehammond1 likes this.
  6. draheim

draheim Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Beer Trader

<head exploding>

cw577enfield, MrDave and AleFredO like this.
  7. evilc

evilc Jan 27, 2012 California

Had 2 so far, identical!

8. AleFredO

AleFredO Aug 13, 2011 New York

Need this in my life!

9. black13

black13 Apr 11, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Mine had the mouthfeel of BCS.............if it were mixed with equal parts water. Not thick at all. It had a medium mouthfeel at best. I haven't heard back from FW since I sent them a photo, but it appears I'm not the only one to get a Parabola 2013 that is not the same as previous years (while others claim to have had great bottles). The mystery continues.

10. PalatePilot

PalatePilot Dec 24, 2010 Colorado

Popped one tonight.
    It was fantastic!
    Definitely better as it warmed.
    For me, it seemed in line with what I was expecting, some subtle differences, of course.... but yeah. It's Parabola

11. brother_kenneth

brother_kenneth Oct 22, 2012 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Why the hell can't I come up with witty shit like this?! I nearly spewed my Espresso IRS when I read this one.

12. QuadrantThree

QuadrantThree Aug 14, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

i found it a little thin.

13. JGam115

JGam115 Apr 8, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

Well it just hit the NYC/NJ market yesterday. Should be in retailers hands this week.

14. RangnaR

RangnaR Dec 17, 2012 California

I wasn't quick enough to beat that one, but I was going to say "Parabaca-Bacca"... Parabola mixed with Sucaba and Wooky Jack...

BigBarley and brother_kenneth like this.
  15. palmdalethriller

palmdalethriller Dec 26, 2007 California

If it feels thin, then it definitely isn't Sucaba either. Granted, I haven't cracked open my 2013 Sucaba yet, but I can pretty much safely assume I wouldn't describe it as "thin."

It kind of sounds like an infection from some of the descriptions, or perhaps this year's version has a bit more hop presence and it is catching people off guard who haven't had it fresh before. My bottle is still in my fridge and I don't plan on opening it soon, but I'm pretty confident that it's going to be one of my favorite beers of the year. I've seen their quality control lab and know how intense they are about quality and consistency over there. I'm not saying a bad bottle is impossible (perhaps something went wrong somewhere along the line), but I am not worried about a whole bad batch at all.

16. JGam115

Beer Trader

I'm sitting at a bar right now drinking the Parabola. It absolutely represents the Imperial Russian Stout style - there's no doubt in my mind. Onyx color and toffee head, great mouth feel with chalky bittersweet chocolate and vanilla flavors. Completely different than the Sucaba.

17. willbm3

willbm3 Feb 19, 2010 Massachusetts

It would be cool if this showed up in MA...

18. AnchorBaby

AnchorBaby Oct 12, 2010 California

I drank one with friends last night. Thick, chewy, creamy goodness. Deep, dark, complex. No sour taste. Not thin. Not even close to Sucaba, which I also like and have had recently.

19. kotayk

kotayk Feb 22, 2011 California

20. burgundysmoke

burgundysmoke Sep 11, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

I had the same experience of OP with my first bottle. i liked it but it was not a stout. barrel blended old ale

21. RangnaR

So still no update from those that had these bottles / or feedback from FW? I've had one already, and find it hard to believe someone could mistake this for anything like Sucaba, or anything else for that matter...

22. JGam115

Beer Trader

Going back to my last post. I had the Parabola on draft - NOT from the bottle. Again it tasted just like I remembered it with an onyx appearance and clear IRS notes on the taste. I'm still waiting for some of my fav bottle shops to release their stocks and will report back when I crack open a bottle.

23. rozzom

rozzom Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

I wouldn't go so far to say it tasted like a barleywine, but I definitely didn't enjoy the 2013 bottle I had over the weekend. The 2011 and 2012 bottles I had (both consumed soon after they were released) were both my favourite BB stouts for their respective years. I'm not normally a fan of "this years XYZ is nowhere near as good as last years" threads, but to me the 2013 was definitely overly hopped, too hot, and had a very thin mouthfeel. I really struggled to get through it to be honest. Compared to some people's descriptions it sounds like a drank a different beer (it wasn't thick/chewy/creamy). However i don't believe it was infected. I didn't get any red wine / tartness. Just wasn't an enjoyable beer. Hopefully just bottle variation or something like that.

craftpunk likes this.
  24. MrDave

MrDave Jan 23, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

There's about 6 different people - myself included - on this thread that have described it as thin, which blows the minds of everyone else who have had the 2013 that find it the thickest to date. That variance right there tells you something is amiss. I'm pretty much convinced that there are some "off" bottles floating around out there. I'm going to have it on tap this week so I'll know for sure. I'll report back.

craftpunk likes this.
  25. SirBottlecap

SirBottlecap Jan 28, 2013 California

Had 2013 Parabola this weekend. I got half-way through the bottle before I dumped it. Down my throat, that is---who needs a glass? It was awesome as usual!

Highbrow likes this.
  26. pmarlowe

pmarlowe Nov 27, 2010 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

I definitely didn't enjoy the 2013 bottle I had last week nearly as much as previous batches. It just seemed overly oaked, boozy, a bit thin, and not as flavorful as before. I've had multiples of every previous batch, and IMHO this didn't live up to them. I sure hope it mellows out and improves over time.

Yes, I know, blah blah blah it is heresy to say that this batch is not as good as previous batches, since beer always improves with each new batch.

craftpunk likes this.
  27. RangnaR

Really? The whole 22oz bottle? at 13%? ...Moderation much??

28. SirBottlecap

SirBottlecap Jan 28, 2013 California

Hey, l'm not a savage, l said half a bottle!

29. Jazzpha

Jazzpha Apr 2, 2013 District of Columbia

As someone who's still waiting on trying the bottle of Parabola in their basement, and has never had the beer before this year, this thread is terrifying.

I mean, "This is your brain on drugs commercial"-level scary, but without the really hot woman holding the frying pan to distract you from what's happening to the egg.

Here's hoping my bottle's not unlucky.

30. Highbrow

Highbrow Jan 7, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

doesn't look like the original picture(s) will be shared with us here - was hoping to see it/them. i'll go ahead and pose this question - to those that posted about off bottles they've poured - was the carbonation very low/nonexistent? some of the descriptions also sound like they could be attributed to a less than perfect seal.

31. t420o

t420o Jul 16, 2009 Colorado

Just had a Parabola last night and it was excellent. I'm very surprised by the people who say they had "off" bottles, as that isn't common for FW. I thought this years Sucaba was absolutely phenomenal as well this year.

32. craftpunk

craftpunk Feb 6, 2013 Illinois

Make it 7+ then. Some friends and I opened a Parabola '12 & '13 side by side 2 days ago. '13 was definitely thin in body. We all liked '12 better as it was more flavourful. We also tried a Sucaba and Dry Dock's Bligh's Barleywine. Bligh's had better things goin on compared to Sucaba.

Trentsteel likes this.
  33. rozzom

rozzom Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

The carbonation was fine when i tried it. If anything a little on the high side for my preferences

34. MrDave

MrDave Jan 23, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Had it tap and it was night and day from my bottle experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe