Release Parabola release date announced

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by jvillefan, Mar 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanH83

DanH83 Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

Hello New Yorkers....we're all F'ed...

Spoke to two shops in Westchester today, including Foodtown Express in Yonkers (usually know's what's going on) and both had the same story. 2 cases for Westcheter....80 for NYC. That's it. Best of luck!

dar482 likes this.
  2. Dirtinabottle

Dirtinabottle Devotee (480) Aug 21, 2012 New York
    Beer Trader

The Hess by Bushnell's Basin got two cases in. Gone in 25 min.

3. IndyDad

IndyDad Zealot (585) Jan 21, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

So far unsuccessful. Hoping my wife's cousin sends me some from California soon.

4. marshmeli

marshmeli Devotee (420) Feb 14, 2012 New York
    Beer Trader

Double the order please and I will take some too :relaxed:

IndyDad likes this.
  5. akukucka

akukucka Aspirant (227) Mar 4, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

They told me they didn't get any yesterday!

6. Dirtinabottle

Dirtinabottle Devotee (480) Aug 21, 2012 New York
    Beer Trader

When I went today, they told me that they had 2 cases that were gone in a flash.

7. CaptainQ

CaptainQ Aspirant (271) Feb 17, 2013 Washington

Life is good!

[​IMG]

Paccamacca likes this.
  8. regularjohn

regularjohn Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 New Jersey

I'm gonna hunt around for some tomorrow, is $20 or higher a good price for it? or am i just getting destroyed there? is it worth it? still haven't had it yet. had my fair share of kbs, bcbs + variants etc. is it up there with those guys?

9. pcstuck

pcstuck Aspirant (219) Jan 5, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

It was $21 here in chicago

10. pcstuck

Beer Trader

And its delicious also. It's one of my favorite beers. I think it's worth the $20 or so bucks it will set you back

foobula likes this.
  11. foobula

foobula Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2009 Illinois

$15-16 in Chicago from what I saw, but no doubt there are places that charge more. It's a delicious, bourbony, complex barrel-aged stout that holds a candle or two to Bourbon County. One of my top 3 beers. I would pay $20 for a bomber in an instant, and even the $30 bombers in bars are tempting when Parabola can't be found elsewhere.

12. regularjohn

regularjohn Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 New Jersey

well im sold on those comments alone haha thanks for the feedback guys i'll definitely scoop one up if i see it

13. jdhowe

jdhowe Disciple (368) Mar 18, 2013 Georgia
    Beer Trader

Have been very happy to acquire this in the $20 range (most places are 15.99-16.99 around me). Actually allowed myself to get gouged $45 for a bomber at a restaurant for the 2012 vintage back in February because I'd not yet gotten to try it (or any parabola) and was seeing a friend whom I hadn't seen in 5 years. No regrets about that purchase, either.

In other news, the gentleman responsible for ordering/receiving at the Pinole, CA BevMo told me today that his distributor was showing 20 cases of Parabola coming in a couple days ago. He's not sure if they will be able to get any, as other stores using the same distributor have higher priority, but there should be bottles out there to be had.

14. MCMASTERSANCHEZ

MCMASTERSANCHEZ Aspirant (258) Jun 28, 2012 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Where at?

15. MCMASTERSANCHEZ

Beer Trader

Where in chicago people

16. gkoz

gkoz Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2013 Arizona
    Beer Trader

^i believe it's gone. the last places around me received it last week and sold out within an hour. hopefully i'm wrong and someone will message me :wink:

17. DropDead

DropDead Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2013 Illinois

Nah I was late to the party and was calling all over chicago last week. They were all sold out and just forgot to update their beermenus page :(

18. MCMASTERSANCHEZ

Beer Trader

^sooooo no more in chicago?

19. DropDead

Well I just called Prestige Liquors a second ago (because beermenus had it on there) and he said they are out but that I should call on Sunday because they are waiting on a second wave to be sold pretty soon. God I hope there is a second wave :grinning:

*On a side note, it's so nice to call a place and have someone speak perfect english lol

20. mychalg9

mychalg9 Champion (845) Apr 8, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I also heard rumors of a "second wave"

21. ThatCracker

ThatCracker Aspirant (295) Nov 20, 2012 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Just showed up in Richmond, Va - Almost all gone already - only 5 cases or so city wide.

22. JGam115

JGam115 Disciple (354) Apr 8, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

Here's the skinny on NYC:

- Top Hops, Good Beer, and New Beer Distributors all had it and sold out within the day. Average price $17.99/bottle.

- Bierkraft currently has ~1 case sitting on the shelf across their fridges (avg. temp, IMO, is 70+) for $22.50. Unbelievable.

- City Swiggers is only selling to "regular customers". Not for nothing, but that's effing ridiculous. Their manager wasn't available for me to completely poo-poo that policy. Foodtown Express in Yonkers had a similar policy for KBS which is why I'll never spend money there.

- Whole Foods locations should be getting it shortly, if not already. Bowery is always mum about their stock unless you ask an employee in-the-know, and it's usually kept in the back. Columbus Circle is forthcoming about their beers so that's your best bet. Union Square sometimes does and doesn't get these types of brews.

Sorry for the rant. The combo of City Swigger's asinine policy and Bierkraft's mark up given the condition they stock it really pissed me off.

DrinkSlurm, dar482 and Crookdrain like this.
  23. Funkwich

Funkwich Initiate (129) Feb 11, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I hunted around the burbs of chicago last week when it was first released. One place I called had already sold out from the delivery they received that day, and I called at 2PM! The only store in town that had any wanted 50 bucks a bottle lmao.

24. ThatCracker

Beer Trader

Only $50 bucks...not bad if it comes with a happy ending....

Charlie_Hoss and TheSixthRing like this.
  25. TheSixthRing

TheSixthRing Poo-Bah (2,243) Sep 24, 2008 California

Unfortunately it only comes with a screw job.

Charlie_Hoss likes this.
  26. SadMachine

SadMachine Meyvn (1,250) Mar 14, 2011 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I realize this might be too late, but where is "by you"?! I never found any, but nobody really ever knew when it was supposed to come in... After a while I just kinda stopped asking because I was looking for other stuff, but I desperately want at least a bottle or 2!

27. Crookdrain

Crookdrain Aspirant (286) Jan 13, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

WF is being really weird. The Chelsea store was supposed to get some in today, I even went there and there was a guy waiting ahead of me. The specialty manager told me it was supposed to be there by 2pm, and that their receiving department is open until 4pm today. Didn't get any though (probably Monday now).

Bierkraft is ridiculous. I won't buy bottles there anymore.

28. bayridge27

bayridge27 Initiate (137) Dec 3, 2009 New York

Send me a text if you see Wf Chelsea gets it on Monday.

29. bayridge27

Oh, and Wf Bowery told me on Wednesday that they expected the case (just one) to come in today by noon. I havent clhecked with them.

30. Crookdrain

Beer Trader

Will do. Let me know about WF Bowery too. I can swing by there on my way home if need be.

Also, I'm 90% positive that New Beer still has some, and is just hoarding it so they can jack up the price in a few weeks. Last time I was there, they offered my BCS Coffee for $32/bottle, told me they had it special in the back.

31. SToneyBrew

SToneyBrew Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2009 Virginia

do you know where they have some?

32. bayridge27

$32 is insane. Wow.

33. ThatCracker

Beer Trader

All gone. Both TW's, Both Once Upon a Vines, Strawberry St, all gone...I was 20 seconds behind the last botte at TW Robious....

34. Crookdrain

Beer Trader

Yeah, funny thing is, they were selling them for $15 when they first came out. Suddenly they "found" some more and doubled the price???

35. 2Xmd

2Xmd Devotee (463) Apr 19, 2013 New York

Good info. Always wanted to check out that place in Yonkers. Seems like on BeerMenus they have everything. That's BS regular customers only for KBS. Bierkraft and Prospect Beerworks are both higher prices than most.

36. jdhowe

jdhowe Disciple (368) Mar 18, 2013 Georgia
    Beer Trader

Pinole, CA BevMo got 6 cases in today at $15.99/bottle. I just left there ~30 mins ago... they had ~4 cases left. I'd call ahead and ask them to hold bottles for you, although I wouldn't really be too concerned about it if you can't... that store has really slow turnover (and still has some Sucaba on the shelf as a bonus at 14.99).

*edited price to correct an error. Correct now.

bladerR likes this.
  37. DanH83

DanH83 Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

Ya know, I don't really have a problem with the regulars being given priority. I've benefitted from this before, and rightfully so. If I go to a store every week or two and make my regular purchases, why shouldn't I get first crack. From the owners point of view, why shouldn't he keep his regulars happy. Customer loyalty is rewarded. If he as leftovers, then they go on sale.

Tis time around, it isn't working out. Oh we'll, that's the breaks, I'll find other means.

DropDead likes this.
  38. mark14580

mark14580 Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2011 New York

Why is that ridiculous? Stores maybe make a few dollars on a bottle they'd sell to you but they make tons off their regulars. Those regulars deserve the special releases. You'll probably never be back to that store.

DanH83 likes this.
  39. pcstuck

Beer Trader

40. DropDead

Sucaba was pretty much the reason I missed out on Parabola. I went to my usual store, picked up two Sucabas and then a week later I picked up a third one. I expected Parabola to be a similar situation but I was horribly wrong. I can only thank the butthole truck chasers for buying up half a case at a time =/

jahbulon, thampel09 and DanH83 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.