Parents on BA: Are your children into craft beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RandomBattle, Jan 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RandomBattle

RandomBattle Initiate (136) Jun 25, 2010 New York
    Trader

Kinda was wondering about this type of thing.

So, any moms or dads of BA, do your children drink craft beer? If so, is it a blessing or a curse (I mean this lightheartedly)?

Geuzedad likes this.
  2. JMS1512

JMS1512 Crusader (776) Feb 18, 2013 New Jersey

I am a step-father to a 23 year old step-daughter (I'm 32). She hates beer. More for me.

3. HopfenUndMalzGottErhalts

HopfenUndMalzGottErhalts Initiate (90) Dec 25, 2015 Arizona

My son grew up with the smell of wort from the kitchen. He still loves the taste of wort, but doesn't like the taste of alcohol. He witnessed too much dependence on alcohol from his mother and me, and decided otherwise.

4. bound4er

bound4er Crusader (777) Jul 4, 2007 Wisconsin

My 21 daughter loves craft (sans IPAs at this point). Problem she has is lack of funds so for the most part she drinks BMC swill while away at college.

Geuzedad likes this.
  5. ryansako

ryansako Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2015 Ohio

My kids are still too young, but this thread made me recall the time we went to the homebrewing store for supplies. As soon as we walked in we were hit in the face with that fresh hop, malt, grain aroma. My daughter blurts out "DAD! This place STINKS!!!!"

6. smbslt

smbslt Savant (902) Dec 26, 2010 Illinois
    Society

Both of my daughters appreciate craft but not to the level of nerd or geek. They also know that their finances dictate and that PBR at bars and free Natty Lights at college parties is sometimes the a necessity.

Geuzedad and floridadrift like this.
  7. lester619

lester619 Devotee (470) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin

He drinks it every day. Just turned 10 last month.

8. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,782) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I got into craft beer in 1996 before my three daughters were old enough to drink. One of my daughters and her husband, who then and now are craft beer lovers got me into homebrewing in 2001. Another daughter worked in a brewpub while attending college and was so highly thought of as an employee that they named a beer after her, and she remains avid in her quest for drinking good beer. My third daughter enjoys pub crawling with my wife and me, so yes, all three of my children love the good life of craft beer.

And I should also add that all three are very responsible and never overdo it while imbibing.

9. videofrog

videofrog Zealot (553) Nov 13, 2010 Texas
    Trader

Well, my 3 year old daughter is too young, but she loves the smell of hops (complete opposite of her mother), and yells, "More bubbles!" when I finish a glass of beer.

10. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,165) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

Five of the six are of legal drinking age, and none of them are into craft beer. Two don't drink alcohol, two prefer hard liquor, and one thinks Seadog Blueberry is craft beer.

11. BradtheGreat7

BradtheGreat7 Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2011 Ohio

Hmm.. I was raised in bourbon country and grew up with the mindset of good kentucky bourbon after a long work week. So maybe I'm a little more lenient toward alcohol. But my wife and I both agree we would rather teach our children responsibility in regards to alcohol than them sneaking around on some sort of heroin. Alcohol is dangerous when abused, but the craft beer world has the luxury of enjoying your beer. I mean the flavor and experience has never once taken a back seat to the alcohol buzz. I know I'd rather my kids drink craft beer than be addicted to some drug.

Geuzedad, foundersfan1 and BeerBobber like this.
  12. JonB25

JonB25 Devotee (400) Jun 2, 2013 Delaware
    Trader

My 29 year old is starting to get into it. He got a brewing kit for Christmas.

Geuzedad and floridadrift like this.
  13. Wolfhead

Wolfhead Initiate (181) Sep 1, 2009 Illinois

Well my 24 year old son is into IPA's with his girlfriend, they live in Minneapolis and get to hit all the breweries big and small. I consider the cause is the fishing trips with Spotted Cow in the cooler. My 21 year old daughter has a gluten issue so she drinks hard cider and Bud Light

Geuzedad and foundersfan1 like this.
  14. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,078) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

My daughter is 33 and my son is 30. They were brought up in the beer and wine industry, with both having knowledge and appreciation for great beer and wine. My daughter is a landscape architect and horticulturist- N.C. State- and my son is a successful beer and wine salesman working in the Triangle area- ex aggressive street skater once employed by Rollerblade, travelling the world......his knees, ankles and back are older than his 30 years. Both love all kinds of great beer and wine, are not anywhere close to being snobby about anything, and both spend lots of time here where they grew up. I'm learning to brew from my son, who has a deft hand at making diverse and tasty brews. My wife loves very hoppy IPAs. So, I'd say all of this is a blessing for sure. Cheers everyone.

15. Dandrewjohn

Dandrewjohn Initiate (137) Apr 13, 2013 Texas

My son and daughter are in their 20s and 30s and are my favorite drinking buddies. My Christmas present from them was an extensive variety from New England and the PNW. My son also brought some of his excellent home brewed imperial stout. Good times.

16. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,428) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware
    Society

I have 2 sons in the late 20's and early 30's. If you include Yeungling they have never drank non craft. Even excluding Yeungling they drink 95% craft now.

17. vabeerguy

vabeerguy Poo-Bah (3,061) Sep 21, 2015 Virginia
    Society Trader

My oldest daughter is strictly a wine drinker and not much of it at that. My youngest daughter, however, is more like her dad. She loves craft beer especially hoppy beer and can give me a run for my money when we are in a serious beer drinking mood. Fortunately, both are responsible drinkers (they are both CPAs so how wild can you get), never drink and drive, and mostly drink just on weekends.

I wonder why most gifts I get from them are good craft beers. I guess I have made it easy for them.

18. jj139

jj139 Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2013 California

My 24 year old son is in law school and he loves good beer, right now he is really into Belgians. He also really enjoys great wine and bourbon. I am sure he will need some sort of therapy from having to deal with his parents, but I guess at least I managed to pass something beneficial down to him.

19. MicTar

MicTar Initiate (0) Jul 20, 2015 Texas

My oldest has no interest what so ever in drinking (daughter)

My middle enjoys tasting. I love the fact that even though he is only 16 in Texas I can let him drink legally at a restaurant if he wants to. Right now he is going with me to breweries and he will try EVERYTHING.

My youngest loved watching Brewdogs with me and I really thought she would be all over trying out beers. She is only interested in smelling them at home and only when she feels like it. In public she just looks at it and says "yup, its beer"

20. edward_boumil

edward_boumil Defender (617) Jun 28, 2015 New York

Gonna flip the tables here since it's relevant, but my mom is a pretty big craft drinker. My fiancee and I visit every weekend to use do laundry and we usually bring a couple of nice beers with us.
    Her go to Allagash white but will try other things (with the exception of most IPAs, though she did like Treehouse's offerings).

21. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Poo-Bah (1,778) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Society Trader

Better be careful, when kids start drinking at 10 they turn out like me.

22. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (9,189) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

Since they are 1 and 3, not yet...

foundersfan1 likes this.
  23. Gajo74

Gajo74 Poo-Bah (2,625) Sep 14, 2014 New York
    Society Trader

My pregnant wife will occasionally drink half a glass of my craft beer. So I suppose you can say my unborn son indirectly indulges in craft beer. I'm training him to appreciate the finer things in life early on.

HorseheadsHophead and Geuzedad like this.
  24. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (473) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

Boy this thread is teetering on the edge of the cliff

beardown2489 likes this.
  25. Foyle

Foyle Savant (979) Sep 29, 2007 North Carolina

My adult kids (6 in total) all drink alcohol. Some only sporadically, some more heavily. Regarding beer they range from drinking it every so often to drinking it everday. As for who produces the beer they drink -- the range includes everything from BMC products to small craft brewers. Some of my adult kids drink mostly BMC (even light beers, which I hardly ever drink), some drink beer regardless of the name on the label, and some tend towards beer snobbery.

So I guess my adult kids run the 'full gamut' of beer drinkers. Perhaps they will all be like me and evolve in their tastes and drinking habits over their lifetimes. During their childhoods they saw me range from a non-drinker, to a fairly extremely beer snob, to a drinker of just about any beer (and I no longer put down other people for their beer choices). Perhaps my wide range of behaviors rubbed off on them?

Is it a blessing or a curse that my kids like beer? Both. Generally it is a blessing because we can share our love of beer whenever we get together. The only time it is a curse is when they come to visit and clean out my refrigerator! :wink:

#25 Foyle, Jan 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  26. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,556) Jun 11, 2013 New York

My son is 23 and into craft because I am. He waits patiently while I take the photos and has not had a hot meal since I joined BA and started snapping pics of everything. =) He is not as into it as I am but I always encourage him to talk about the palate and to keep track of all the beer he has tried.

27. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (2,505) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire
    Society

Gave my 6 year old daughter a sip of Breakfast Stout the other day. Her words were "Meh, not as good as last year's" and then she went back to watching Yo Gabba Gabba.

28. rbelcher1959

rbelcher1959 Initiate (52) Jan 2, 2016 Virginia

I have 4 kids ranging in age from 22 to 35, and a son and daughter in law all drink craft beers. We all like porters and stouts. My youngest has already brewed 3 batches of beer and they all pitched in and bought me a BrewersBest brew kit. My youngest and I are brewing a milk stout as we speak.

29. FFreak

FFreak Defender (666) Nov 10, 2013 Vermont

She's into craft root beer - she's 13.

30. SoleBriety

SoleBriety Disciple (337) Oct 10, 2013 California
    Trader

I don't have any kids, but I do have a lot of godchildren. Over the holidays, my goddaughter was sitting on my lap (she's 5) and she saw my pint glass (filled with Lagunitas Brown Shugga) on the table. I was talking with her dad about personal stuff and all of a sudden she turns to her dad and said, "Dad, ninong (godfather in Tagalog) drinks yucky coke..." We were so consumed in our conversation that she had picked up my glass and took a sip of my beer.

It's been almost 3 weeks and my friend keeps sending me pics of Lagunitas Brown Shugga and Coca Cola...

Geuzedad, cjgiant and utopiajane like this.
  31. drinkin-beeers

drinkin-beeers Disciple (376) Jan 29, 2014 Montana

I'm 25 with a 4 year old. She likes to smell my beers. She's a hop head, she thinks most IPAs smell good, everything else is gross.

32. floridadrift

floridadrift Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2014 Florida

Awesome thread OP!

foundersfan1 and RandomBattle like this.
  33. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (2,438) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

My daughter is 13 months old. I hope one day she'll enjoy craft beer as much as I do so that when I want to visit a brewery or take a beer trip it will be daddy daughter time and my wife can't say no! Seriously though, it would be cool to share this interest with my kid.

34. seth27

seth27 Initiate (86) Mar 16, 2015 Pennsylvania

My five year old son gets semi interested in my homebrew stuff. He likes going to the lhbs and asking a million questions. He doesn't really have the attention span to spend hours being my brew help though.

AngryDutchman likes this.
  35. puboflyons

puboflyons Poo-Bah (5,528) Jul 26, 2008 New Hampshire
    Society

My son is not 21 yet so I don't know if he will get into craft beer.

36. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (3,220) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

Our 25-year-old son is a budding beer nerd - he's developed a love for pepper beers (Habanero Sculpin and Surly Hell are amongst his favorite beers), he likes stouts (we had Xocoveza, BOMB!, and Dark Lord on Christmas Eve), and Todd The Axe Man nearly had him speaking in tongues.

The social component of beer nerdery is a big part of the attraction for me, and that is enhanced even further when sharing beer nerdery with both my son and my wife, like the Mankato Craft Beer Expo I'm attending with Mrs. O next weekend. We'll amble around for a couple of hours, she'll remind me approximately 4,852 times to find her stuff like Miller Lite, then she'll tell everyone that works a booth and serves her a beer, "This tastes like Becks!!!" and they'll look at her like she's from Mars because she's just slugged down a tasty APA.

World-class good times.

37. JesseLara

JesseLara Disciple (335) Nov 4, 2012 California
    Trader

They don't drink (yet), as they're 12,10,and 3.
    My daughter has a hell of a nose and can pick out the fruit in my beers when drinking sours, I have high hopes she's help good old dad with his home brewing. I've also set aside bottles for each of them from the year of their birth, so hopefully they'll enjoy them!

38. woodchipper

woodchipper Meyvn (1,247) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society

I have three sons, 27, 25 and 22. 27 Year-old is mostly a blue-moon guy, complains about my IPA's but steals my stouts. My 25 year old is almost as into craft as I am, he loves saisons and kind of got me to appreciate them. My youngest does not drink at all, but he will smell and sip what I am exited about, sends me beer news texts and seeks out and buys beer from me when he travels.

Geuzedad, foundersfan1 and cjgiant like this.
  39. Monkeyknife

Monkeyknife Poo-Bah (3,175) Jan 8, 2007 Missouri
    Society Trader

My oldest is 20 and enjoying the cheaper, plentiful beers available to most college parties. I would love to be able to enjoy some of the finer beers available with her once she comes of age. We'll see..

foundersfan1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.