Parish Brewing (Louisiana) Ghost in the Machine

Discussion in 'South' started by tetu, Dec 27, 2013.

1. tetu

tetu Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2011 Louisiana

Expecting a February release.

[​IMG]

Wando52 and lionoa7x like this.
  2. wyatt

wyatt Aspirant (206) Nov 18, 2009 Louisiana

i wonder if it is bottle conditioned.

nophunk likes this.
  3. slatetupelo

slatetupelo Initiate (0) Jun 23, 2007 Mississippi

I'll be in New Orleans sometime within the next month or so. I'm guessing that selections from Parrish Brewing will be fairly easy to find there?

4. tetu

While at the brewery a few weeks ago, they said that labels will say "bottle conditioned" if they are. Also, while Andrew seems to really like bottle conditioning his beers, he said something about not bottle conditioning hop forward beers like an IPA/DIPA.

5. tetu

The regular lineup should be easy enough. Canebrake, Envie, & South Coast are fairly easy to find in BR. You'd probably be lucky to find a bottle of Grand Reserve but i'm sure theres a few left out there. Dr Hoptagon is probably on a few more shelves.

6. RedJim

RedJim Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2008 Louisiana

No Parish 6pks are currently distributed in NOLA. We only get the 750s for now.

7. tetu

Yeah I just found that out from a friend. I just assumed.

8. wyatt

wyatt Aspirant (206) Nov 18, 2009 Louisiana

martin's has canebrake in Metairie.

EgadBananas likes this.
  9. EgadBananas

EgadBananas Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2009 Louisiana

Strange, we get Canebrake, Envie, and South Coast here on the Northshore...

10. tetu

Saw an update on fb.

Badfish, Mikecap and cfaulman like this.
  11. nophunk

nophunk Aspirant (228) Nov 27, 2011 Louisiana
    Trader

Looking forward to this! If anyone wants to ride up to the brewery from New Orleans, I've been meaning to check it out! They just got some sweet 750mL koozies in too :slight_smile:

12. ScottLetourneau

ScottLetourneau Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2012 Louisiana

Available at the taproom now on draft and in bottles. Per FB, hitting stores Friday and early next week. Can't wait to try this!

Has anyone had it yet?

13. Victory4LSU

Victory4LSU Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2012 Louisiana

14. ldhughes3

ldhughes3 Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2013 Louisiana

anyone near parish planning a trip to the Shreveport/Bossier area anytime soon? My son is due the 27th and I'm working all week so I won't be able to make it down for this one.

15. HeadyTheElder

HeadyTheElder Devotee (410) Nov 3, 2012 Louisiana
    Trader

Damn, wish I would have seen this sooner. My buddy left BR yesterday to go to Shreveport for the weekend and I think he was stopping at Parish along the way.

ldhughes3 likes this.
  16. Mikecap

Mikecap Crusader (782) May 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Trader

Had this on tap at Avenue Pub last night - it is seriously good, probably the best I've had from them! If anyone sees it in bottle in NOLA or on the North Shore, please let me know where!

17. SteveyTI

SteveyTI Initiate (94) Sep 1, 2013 Louisiana
    Trader

I have a friend who will be coming from NOLA to Shreveport in 2 weeks. I can try and see if he can get more (assuming its still available at that time). I just opened one and it is incredible! Tons of hops and still not overpowering!

ldhughes3 likes this.
  18. ldhughes3

ldhughes3 Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2013 Louisiana

that would be great, just let me know and we can meet up. Thanks!

19. DonnBulldog

DonnBulldog Initiate (0) Jun 2, 2009 Louisiana

NOLA availability - Bottles: Stein's Deli, Elios, BWW vets. Soon to be all three Whole Foods, Pearl Wine, Breaux Mart on Magazine, Bacchanal, select Rouses around NOLA. ON TAP: Avenue Pub, soon to be Bulldog(s) & Lagers.

Wando52 and Mikecap like this.
  20. MrWendal

MrWendal Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2013 Louisiana

This beer is amazing. I can't recommend it enough.

I hate to be that guy, but has anyone that's tasted some of the legendary double IPAs gotten a chance to taste Ghost? I just can't see a double IPA being much better aside from personal preferences.

21. cfaulman

cfaulman Aspirant (247) May 1, 2013 Wisconsin

I have had heady and I can say I would take a heady over this, but the fact is that this isnt far off, at least fresh. Incredible nose, awesome hop flavor, very drinkable. Heady is just better in my opinion. I think there is better hop flavor and its a little more drinkable. The crazy thing is that this is Parish's first time brewing this so just think of how great it will get when they hone their recipe a bit.

Mikecap and HeadyTheElder like this.
  22. SteveyTI

SteveyTI Initiate (94) Sep 1, 2013 Louisiana
    Trader

I will have some Heady this weekend to compare!

23. Victory4LSU

Victory4LSU Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2012 Louisiana

This is a really good beer, by far the best IPA/DIPA I've had from Louisiana, but it's not in the same class as Heady Topper. Which isn't an insult, bc there aren't many DIPAs out there that I would put in that class.

To me this beer reminds me a lot of RuinTen from Stone. The hops are in your face, aggressive, and backed up with a big bitter punch. I just don't think GitM has the same hop flavor and drinkability as HT.

GitM is a big aggressive resinous f'ing DIPA and proud of it, and definitely a beer the guys at Parish should be proud of.

24. HeadyTheElder

Trader

I'm really digging this beer. Lots up hop flavor up front, but nicely balanced by a malt backbone. Reminds me of double jack. Great job Parish!

25. tetu

It's not as good as heady. It is top notch, but heady is in a tier of its own.

From what I remember, it is in this league: lawsons double sunshine, Pliny, enjoy by, dreadnaught. OTWOA has a better aroma but GitM is a better overall beer.

It is not as great as heady or abner.

Eta: this is all from my non scientific method of comparing beer that I've had months apart from each other. I would love to do a side by side with a few great dipas.

26. jhhollier

jhhollier Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2008 Louisiana

This is finally the great local DIPA that LA people were waiting for. I haven't had any of the top tier DIPAs but like someone said earlier I can't imagine them being tons better than GitM.

27. MrWendal

Right on. Thanks for the replies. I'm eager to try some of the top 10 beers from this site, but I don't think I can bring myself to trade away any Ghost. I'm just enjoying it too much. Plus I don't know if this is a once a year brew or year round. It seems like just yesterday Abita was the only game in town; these are exciting times.

28. JDice20

JDice20 Initiate (0) Aug 14, 2013 Louisiana

Cot dangit i wanna get my hands on summa this.

Dear God,
    Please bless Parish brewery so that the great people of NWLA can enjoy their quality beers without having
    to sacrifice children to pay off beer mules....

Amen.

29. avenuepub

avenuepub Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2009 Louisiana

Don't believe it is bottle conditioned. Per Andrew he was planning a periodic brew multiple times throughout the year... So it will appear...the pipeline will run dry Nd it will appear again. One thing I love about Parish is their very serious commitment to freshness. Andrew is not afraid of losing tap handles or letting the pipeline run dry and so he only makes as much as he know can be sold at its optimum freshness. sadly an unusual approach in the industry.
    On a side note it pours like a dream from a keg... Little to no waste.

Mikecap likes this.
  30. tbryan5

tbryan5 Meyvn (1,179) Sep 22, 2012 Louisiana
    Trader

Finding this in Baton Rouge today was no easy task unless you preordered. I had to sneak away from work three times today to find it. And it was worth it! This is an amazing DIPA...I hope that Andrew re-releases Ghost In The Machine sometime in the future. Can't imagine an imperial IPA getting much better...looking at you heady

31. jhhollier

jhhollier Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2008 Louisiana

Would be nice to see a baby version of GitM released in 6 packs (or full GitM in 4 packs) year round. But I know it's tough for them to keep up with demand as is. love this brewery regardless

32. JDice20

JDice20 Initiate (0) Aug 14, 2013 Louisiana

Ive got one coming next week. Cant wait to try it.

33. MichaelGV

MichaelGV Initiate (0) Apr 2, 2008 California

Where did you find it?

34. tbryan5

Trader

Alexander's got a shipment in but I'm pretty sure they sold out, but that's where I got mine. Maybe try calandros on government bc the other one sells out really fast. Whole foods would be a good place to look too.

35. HeadyTheElder

Trader

Seems like that's the kind of quality you get when the guy making the executive decisions is the passionate brewmaster, not a businessman.

36. MrWendal

Uh, how is the owner of a company "not a businessman?" Many business owners / execs choose to focus on quality at the expense of profits. As craft beer consumers, we can all appreciate that.

But make no mistake, even the best brewmaster can ruin his or her company if they lack all business sense.

Can't it be a good quality & business practice?? (the answer is yes)

37. BEERschlitz

BEERschlitz Zealot (539) Oct 13, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

Has this been released again since February?

38. tbryan5

Trader

I think that it is getting released again sometime in the near future. For ACBW if I'm not mistaken...

39. BEERschlitz

BEERschlitz Zealot (539) Oct 13, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

Any idea of bottling dates? Worth trading for?

40. tbryan5

Trader

Definitely worth trading for. And I'm not just being a homer. It is truly a great DIPA.