Parts for Gas Post for Bucket Lid?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by VikeMan, Jun 13, 2018.

1. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,440) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania

So, I want to install a corny keg ball lock Gas post on/through a typical plastic fermenter bucket lid. (It's for carrying out an experiment relating to gas exchange. Can't say more, without spoiling it.) If anyone has done this (perhaps to facilitate closed transfers from a bucket or other plastic fermenter?), can you describe the fastening and gasket hardware you used? (Mainly looking for part numbers/sources.) Or, if anyone has done this with a stainless lid, I imagine I could adapt your design. TIA.

2. TooHopTooHandle

TooHopTooHandle Initiate (84) Dec 20, 2016 New York

3. VikeMan

jbakajust1 and TooHopTooHandle like this.
  4. TooHopTooHandle

TooHopTooHandle Initiate (84) Dec 20, 2016 New York

You're welcome! Glad I could help, Cheers!

5. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Crusader (701) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

Don't try this at home, boys and girls :grimacing:

SFACRKnight likes this.
  6. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,576) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

Where do you think this will be tried!?!:thinking_face:

Cheers!

7. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Crusader (701) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

Jack, having used a ball lock fitting on growlers (usually plastic :grimacing:) I can tell you there is a potential for disaster (usually after drinking) as the following excerpt from the product linked can attest:

WARNING: These parts could potentially be misused to pressurize a vessel that is not rated for pressure applications and we are adamantly advising customers to take caution and not to do this. Any sealable vessel that has a way to add pressurized gas should also have a non-defeatable pressure relief valve or similar safety mechanism.

8. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,188) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado

Hold my beer and watch this...

9. riptorn

riptorn Initiate (57) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

Have you run this experiment (successfully) yet?

10. VikeMan

No. Still in the thought stage.

11. riptorn

riptorn Initiate (57) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

Your quest for the gas post spawned in me an idea that gets more Rube Goldberg-ish as time goes on. It doesn't specifically target a plastic bucket lid (not suggesting yours would be limited to plastic). Ordered the first part last night.
    Looking forward to finding out if the projects are similar, or not.....waiting with bated breath.