Past and present perspective on NEIPAs?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Roybert, Oct 25, 2019.

?

What is your relationship with NEIPAs?

1. NEIPAs never appealed to me

13 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. I loved my first NEIPA and still seek them out

70 vote(s)
    46.1%
  3. Most NEIPAs dont appeal to me, but I enjoy an exceptional example on occasion

36 vote(s)
    23.7%
  4. I enjoyed NEIPAs in the past, but I've lost the desire to drink them

28 vote(s)
    18.4%
  5. I disliked NEIPAs in the past, but I've developed a taste for them

5 vote(s)
    3.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maestro0708

Maestro0708 Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2015 Kentucky

I chose "Most NEIPAs don't appeal to me, but I enjoy exceptional examples on occasion". It's a style I rarely drink, not because I have anything against them, but because I usually prefer something else. There aren't a ton of them available in my area and the ones that are available are more expensive than other styles that I enjoy as much or more. Bearded Iris makes some great examples that I enjoy on occasion.

2. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I voted the 4th choice but none of the choices really fit me. I enjoyed them from the start and still do but never fell in love with the style.

JediMasterLenin likes this.
  3. JediMasterLenin

JediMasterLenin Disciple (337) Dec 25, 2018 District of Columbia

Put me down in this camp as well. I treat them like any other IPA substyle. They really hit the spot when you're in the mood, but I can't imagine seeking them out exclusively.
    Edit: For the record I went with #2, since I do still buy them.

4. joerooster

joerooster Initiate (0) May 15, 2018 Virginia

Another problem I've experienced is that NEIPAs have more batch to batch variation than any other style I've purchased on a regular basis.

5. bwarner2015

bwarner2015 Initiate (99) Mar 25, 2016 Connecticut

Why don't you want to admit it? It's o.k. I too love NEIPAs, and will not be ashamed of it! lol.

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  6. Eddiehop

Eddiehop Defender (649) Jun 28, 2014 Texas
    Trader

I've found myself recently gravitating back towards the west coast, more traditional style. Seems like I got pulled into the NEIPA undertow the last few years, like a lot of us and have grown a greater appreciation for the non haze.

I'm over the $20+/4 packs.

7. Kadonny

Kadonny Meyvn (1,403) Sep 5, 2007 Florida
    Trader

I'm sort of in the same camp. I still love the good NEIPAs and still drink them, but I've gravitated back towards the WCIPA style moreso recently........and am loving them. Clean, crisp, bitter, wonderful.

8. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Devotee (402) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Deactivated

I haven't had enough to say. My first reaction when something becomes popular is to go the other way. If they have those "tropical" flavors, not a fan. Funny, since I started off thinking I hated Cascade hops, but find them preferable, at least in certain proportions

9. pat61

pat61 Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota

I was skeptical at first, then discovered that many of them were OK but as more brewers jumped on the band wagon and started pushing limits many of them started burning holes in my stomach and I started wishing people would find a new band wagon that was not hazy and hop excessive. I'm getting a little tired of sour everything as well. Focusing on good, decent, well made and well balanced beer that you can drink more than one of at a sitting might be a nice idea.

JediMasterLenin likes this.
  10. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (5,491) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

My consumption of NE IPAs is mostly limited financially. I'd love to have BKS and New Axiom beers in my fridge for consumption every night, but I don't care to spend $18+ on a 4 pack anymore. BKS, while pricey (in my opinion), is still a bargain compared with some other NE IPA producers too.

The other limitation is my distaste for additional fruit additives in beer. While I love trying new beer, my consistent disappointment with NE IPAs w/ fruit additions, and even just lack-luster $6+ cans, has made me hesitant to buy them. Hence, why if I'm buying one locally I'll skip the shelfies and reach for a BKS release.

11. craigbelly

craigbelly Poo-Bah (1,724) Dec 31, 2015 Iowa
    Society Trader

NEIPA is not a new style. It just finally got a "name" in the last few years. I remember enjoying unfiltered IPA's at a local rock bottom years ago. There great, it's not a trend...

12. nodder

nodder Devotee (471) Aug 9, 2013 New York

Ditto.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  13. Sound_Explorer

Sound_Explorer Poo-Bah (2,068) Dec 29, 2013 Washington
    Society

Being on the West Coast the chance to try hazy/NEIPA was quite sought after even by me. It has been great to get the style over here to let the WCIPA experts have a go at making them too and there have been some great beers as a result. They were enjoyed by all, it was a great time to be alive.

But as with all good things, you get fatigued. Every new beer and it's cousin was hazy. Some brewers that is seemingly all they produce. Good. Terrible. Fantastic. Dreadful.

And our old standby's went virtually the way of the Dodo. I stay away from the ubiquity of the haze now and want some bitterness back! I'd slay for a beer I can see through tonight. Hopefully the trend has crested and we will see some balance back in the Hop Force.

JediMasterLenin and seakayak like this.
  14. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I haven’t anything Treehouse, but for the most part the better ones I’ve had were pretty good all the way around. The ones I didn’t like were highly acidic, overly sweet, low on bitter, but it’s best feature is they smell nice. At its best it’s still a one and done I find them to be tough on the palate.

Bitterbill likes this.
  15. Roybert

Roybert Aspirant (271) Oct 2, 2014 Texas
    Society

This is where I'm at also. I traded/sought out hazies for years. Now I'm feeling like a dumbass because I contributed to this world where every IPA on the board is hazy, and all I want is a mouthful of bitterness. It's like a damn O. Henry story.

#55 Roybert, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    Eddiehop likes this.
  16. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (861) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

I was obsessed with them from 2016 to 2018 or so, but now only drink them on occasion. Prefer lagers and really well crafted west coast IPAs these days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.